Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

No FX was adapting it and then pulled the plug on it in January of this year. They've tried multiple times to adapt it. One of the notes I remember them writing about in a article was " We should try and get more men into the show".

Yeah I got my wires crossed, it's Saga he didn't want to adapt because he felt that live action wouldn't do it justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Rhyno posted:

Yeah I got my wires crossed, it's Saga he didn't want to adapt because he felt that live action wouldn't do it justice.

It's weird because you would think he'd have some minor connections with regard to actually getting a pilot off the ground at least, but yeah no pilots for any of his stuff.

There's a lot of comics properties now just being bought up because "Comics" , but poo poo all for them actually coming to production it seems.

The best adaptation is still Izombie.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 31, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Preview of next week's episode, showing Tulip and her seductive ways and Jesse doing some good ol' fashioned baptisms.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Probably a dumb question, but are the episodes all going to be two weeks apart?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Johnny Truant posted:

Probably a dumb question, but are the episodes all going to be two weeks apart?

Normally weekly, only bumped because of Memorial Day. Most shows got bumped, GOT didn't though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Medullah posted:

Preview of next week's episode, showing Tulip and her seductive ways and Jesse doing some good ol' fashioned baptisms.

What is it the angel / "mysterious man in cowboy hat" says? It sounded like "This makes sense", but I couldn't make it out.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Normally weekly, only bumped because of Memorial Day. Most shows got bumped, GOT didn't though.

:doh: Didn't even think about that. Thanks!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

COOL CORN posted:

What is it the angel / "mysterious man in cowboy hat" says? It sounded like "This makes sense", but I couldn't make it out.

I think it's "this doesn't make sense" as in, why hasn't Jesse exploded.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

COOL CORN posted:

"that doesn't make sense"

They're wondering why Genesis picked Jesse of everybody, and why he was able to survive where others weren't. That or they're just shocked at seeing Arseface!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

Frankly, Saga's pretty much unadaptable by any channel unwilling to show straight up hardcore loving, so I'm not shocked.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Frankly, Saga's pretty much unadaptable by any channel unwilling to show straight up hardcore loving, so I'm not shocked.

Yeah I wouldn't even want to see it tried. It's an amazing comic but SO FAR out there. Hell, a main character is a ghost of a teenage girl floating around with her guts hanging out.

Y could very easily be adapted.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Medullah posted:

Yeah I wouldn't even want to see it tried. It's an amazing comic but SO FAR out there. Hell, a main character is a ghost of a teenage girl floating around with her guts hanging out.

drat I need to give Saga another try

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I could got for an NC-17 animated film.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zaphod42 posted:

"that doesn't make sense"

They're wondering why Genesis picked Jesse of everybody, and why he was able to survive where others weren't. That or they're just shocked at seeing Arseface!

I figured because the other people who it went to would use it for their own, selfish purposes. The African Preacher said "I can do anything!' then exploded, and then we could easily believe the Satanic Priest and Cruise would have the same reaction, while Jesse would not

Rhyno posted:

I could got for an NC-17 animated film.

Spider tits would be an R at best.

And I knew Y would die because there is no way anyone would greenlight a show without a majority male cast, even in this day and age.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I thought AMC got away with using 1 gently caress or whatever in Breaking Bad.

In the original broadcast of IFT, the 'gently caress' was muted out. It was just really blatantly obvious what word Skyler was saying that got muted. So even if you didn't actually hear hear it, you thought you heard it.

AMC still has to bleep out 'fucks' in their shows. They're still a basic cable channel, and basic cable channels still aren't allowed to say gently caress before midnight.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 1, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

thrakkorzog posted:

In the original broadcast of IFT, the 'gently caress' was muted out. It was just really blatantly obvious what word Skyler was saying that got muted. So even if you didn't actually hear hear it, you thought you heard it.

AMC still has to bleep out 'fucks' in their shows. They're still a basic cable channel, and basic cable channels still aren't allowed to say gently caress before midnight.

No, basic cable channels are as free to say gently caress and show tits as premium cable channels. None of them are under the FCC's thumb. They just all have similar "standards of decency" that say that cursing and boobies are too much but drug kingpins killing people are just fine. Wouldn't want to scar the poor, impressionable children with vulgar things. Now watch Walt dissolve this guy's corpse in a bathtub with some lye.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Medullah posted:

The part that I'm really "interested" in seeing is how Jesse's dad ends up being a preacher without ruining the character

My guess is that like Jesse, he was forced to become a preacher when he was a prisoner on Grandma's plantation.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Really enjoyed the pilot. As someone who's read Preacher a bunch of times, I'm happy with every change they've made so far. I don't think it's one of Ennis' high points and the less they feel obliged to stick to the source the better.

Still enjoying the little hints - Ratwater whisky, Eugene talking about how he can't hear God anymore, which is a big one, and did anyone notice the blueprints Tulip has during the ending montage? "Grail Industries." Gonna be a fun ride I think.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
I really like they're taking a Marvel Cinematic Universe approach to the source material, cherry picking the ideas and building stories that make sense in this other context. I prefer that so much more than a near beat for beat remake of poo poo I've already read, to be honest.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Just a reminder that when Preacher was in development hell, Ennis flat-out told a former producer that it wasn't necessary to completely stick to the comics.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Doppelganger posted:

Just a reminder that when Preacher was in development hell, Ennis flat-out told a former producer that it wasn't necessary to completely stick to the comics.

Yeah Ennis is the opposite of Alan Moore, giving Rogen carte blanche to change whatever he wants as long as he sticks to the spirit of the series.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Mark Millar is the same way. Which is probably one of the reasons why he has multiple films made of his work.

Some things only work well in specific mediums.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

Mark Millar is the same way. Which is probably one of the reasons why he has multiple films made of his work.

Some things only work well in specific mediums.

And in a shock to no one when his works are adapted they are always far superior to the comics they are based off of.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Medullah posted:

Yeah Ennis is the opposite of Alan Moore, giving Rogen carte blanche to change whatever he wants as long as he sticks to the spirit of the series.

I don't think Alan Moore cares all that much about the changes but has had problems with all the poo poo that comes around an adaptation. Like the time he was involved in the lawsuit saying that he only wrote League of Extraordinary Gentlemen because the studio wanted to rip off some other guy's script. Or producers who have false statements that this one was the one he was totally cool with like with V for Vendetta.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Its the Saint of Killers son

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Just re-watched the first episode. What was up with the cowboy hat dude eating the teabag at the end? I'm guessing it was to show they aren't exactly human, but I'm wondering if there's some sort of symbolism to it (like a weird way of tea leaf divining or something)?

E:V Thanks. I never closely followed the comics, wasn't sure if it was something that character did for a reason.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 6, 2016

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

LadyPictureShow posted:

Just re-watched the first episode. What was up with the cowboy hat dude eating the teabag at the end? I'm guessing it was to show they aren't exactly human, but I'm wondering if there's some sort of symbolism to it (like a weird way of tea leaf divining or something)?

I wouldn't read into it too hard. I thought it was the show trying to make you go "whoa that isn't what a normal human person would do with that object"

Great open for this episode.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
You have to stop sinning

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Oh poo poo I thought this was on at 10 again and missed the first quarter is there going to be a repeat?

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Oh poo poo I thought this was on at 10 again and missed the first quarter is there going to be a repeat?

Oh crap, is it not on at 10?

edit: VVV oh good, thanks.

KatWithHands fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 6, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're airing it again after Feed the Beast, which is on right after.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, real stupid of them to gently caress up the timeslot like that. I only knew it was on earlier because I had seen commercials for Feed the Beast saying it was going to be on at 10.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I couldn't pay attention to the show. It seems so bad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Could the dialog not be "hey Preacher..." "Preacher, I..." "Hey Preacher" so much. God drat. I just want the show to be Tulip and Jesse at this point so I don't have to hear every 3rd word be Preacher.

Anyways, Cassidy vs the mystery dudes was awesome, and the meat monger guy was creepy. Though It kind of looked like they just took those peoples land for nothing.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Tenzarin posted:

Right now, I feel like it's trying to find its footing/get things in order. I feel that it seems a little disjointed at times, but I'm willing to stick it out for a bit, see where it goes (esp. since I see Jackie Earle Hayley has a role).

I'm kind of torn on the characters so far. Not a huge fan of Tulip, think Cassady is a riot, and Arseface just makes me feel bad. When somebody shouted 'murderer!' in the baptism scene, were they shouting at him or his dad? I'm guessing maybe there was some suicide pact action but Arseface botched his attempt.

E:

twistedmentat posted:

Could the dialog not be "hey Preacher..." "Preacher, I..." "Hey Preacher" so much. God drat. I just want the show to be Tulip and Jesse at this point so I don't have to hear every 3rd word be Preacher.

Anyways, Cassidy vs the mystery dudes was awesome, and the meat monger guy was creepy. Though It kind of looked like they just took those peoples land for nothing.

I noticed that too. It's a little bothersome, like as soon as you notice someone with a vocal tic, then can't not notice it.

Agreed on the Cassidy/cowboy hats fight. I liked the shot of the severed arm and the chainsaw slowly chattering down the aisle toward Jessie.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 6, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That's how you address a Preacher. You don't say " Hey Jesse". Although really they should refer to him as Pastor ,but it's a southern thing to refer to a Pastor as Preacher as in " Howdy Preacher".

I thought this was a excellent follow up episode. Although, not sure about the direction they seem to be going with Tulip, but I love the characterizations so far of Mr. Quinton ( Jackie Earl is a inspired bit of casting). Cassidy and Jesse have that great friends who argue chemistry between them. Jesse's a mean as hell drunk which is great.

Loved it. I liked the first episode but this one was waaay better. Really great.

Also, pretty sure that Tulip and Jesse have a kid some where.

Also, I am huge Preacher fan and that was the poo poo when I was a teenager and going to the comic store. I've read pretty much everything Ennis has done and don't have one problem with this adaptation.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 6, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

LadyPictureShow posted:

I noticed that too. It's a little bothersome, like as soon as you notice someone with a vocal tic, then can't not notice it.

Agreed on the Cassidy/cowboy hats fight. I liked the shot of the severed arm and the chainsaw slowly chattering down the aisle toward Jessie.

It was very Evil Dead. I like how they just appeared in the Motel Room, rather than showing them get out of the trunk or something.

Hollismason posted:

That's how you address a Preacher. You don't say " Hey Jesse". Although really they should refer to him as Pastor ,but it's a southern thing to refer to a Pastor as Preacher as in " Howdy Preacher".

While true, it's always said by an actor with an emphasis. Like they're told "You gotta remind me people about the name of the show". I like Cassidy calling him Padre because it feels natural, and Tulip says it in a mocking way.

They were really vague on what that dude was doing with the girl. What he molesting her or just jerking it thinking about her? From the earlier part of the episode, I thought maybe there was a Hooker he kept visiting or something, so he was sinning but it was just cheating on his wife, but then nope, he's a kid diddler.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

It was very Evil Dead. I like how they just appeared in the Motel Room, rather than showing them get out of the trunk or something.

While true, it's always said by an actor with an emphasis. Like they're told "You gotta remind me people about the name of the show". I like Cassidy calling him Padre because it feels natural, and Tulip says it in a mocking way.

They were really vague on what that dude was doing with the girl. What he molesting her or just jerking it thinking about her? From the earlier part of the episode, I thought maybe there was a Hooker he kept visiting or something, so he was sinning but it was just cheating on his wife, but then nope, he's a kid diddler.

The impression I got was that he was just using confession to feel better about himself so that he would be "forgiven" then he could go on thinking and obsessing about her. Jesse went after him because he knew that the guy eventually was going to do something because he knew he could be forgiven for it.

Sort like " Well I guess I'll just kill this guy and then confess so that I'm forgiven by God and no longer a bad person".

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hollismason posted:

Don't let the Sheriff hear you talking like that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Another excellent episode!

Tenzarin posted:

Another terrible Tenzarin opinion.

• Locked thread