Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Ennis is getting an enormous royalty check, of course he's going to say positive things.

He wasn't ever going to trash it but he didn't need to go out of his way to say it preserves the comics' spirit either. And it's not like praising it makes him a voice in the wilderness, most of the critics seem pretty happy with it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Preacher is a great story how a sanctimonious man child grows the gently caress up.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Never read the comics, but I watched the first episode and liked it a whole lot. Didn't find it difficult to follow the story.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oh shiiiit the first episode was way better than I expected. They aren't pulling any punches so far.

I wonder how far they're going to go. Lots of Preacher would be considered "unsuitable for tv".

Cassidy so loving good.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Never you mind posted:

I loved the comics but am glad that it's been awhile since I read them so that I'm not comparing panel by panel. That said, I appreciated the pilot, but am hoping we don't get broody depressed Jesse for too long. The road trip aspect is central to the theme and impact, so I hope it doesn't get stripped away, though I realize it makes the logistics of filming a lot harder. I was a little skeptical about Joe Gilgun, but no longer.

For what it's worth Supernatural has kind of sort of managed to pull off characters traveling around the midwest on a budget. And has anybody who has driven through the midwest can tell you, there's lots and lots and lots of things looking the same out there. Show vast rows of corn: "Welcome to Iowa." Show vast rows of corn: "Welcome to Kansas."

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I thought it was fun, confusing , but fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I liked the detail about Tom Cruise exploding.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Pretty fun show. Only vaguely familiar with the comics but I'm definitely on board

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've read the books and i like that it's different. So long as the characters are there and they work well with the story, i'm all in.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
The directing/editing seemed to get itself unnecessarily wound in knots about Cass's movements at the end there.

- After the bar fight, Jesse leaves him in the jail - the cop draws back the bars in the kind of dramatic shorthand that suggests he's going to be there for a while. Cassidy pleads/jokes about the dawn, but the cop clearly isn't interested in talking to him.
- Next we know, he's in Jesse's house, yelling at something/someone/the TV, and it's explained that he came by the church later that same night and found Jesse out cold.
- Jesse, in a rush, pulls on his clothes, and is seen crossing the empty plains to the church in the blazing sunshine.
- Once he's started preaching, Cassidy sits up in one of the pews in a sudden, dishevelled sort of way, as if he's been spending the night there.

It was disjointed and knockabout, and I'm unsure how the small-town drama is going to keep itself together as things escalate (particularly as the townsfolk aren't being treated yet as something worth protecting from terrible threats - rather, as corrupt and petty).

But the highs were just sheer splendid fun. And I'm totally onboard with how the characters were introduced. Removing the road-trip format makes it all the more important to bring in Tulip and Cass with a ton of energy and their own substantial plotlines to follow - they're a catalyst for the action now as much as Jesse's new powers, which feels right.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Never read the comic. The pilot kinda threw you right into the midst without explaining anything but it wasn't THAT hard to follow and I'll probably keep watching it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I went in with basically zero expectations so that helped, but I really enjoyed this. Especially when Jesse starts beating the poo poo out of the guys in the bar and he stops for a moment to just smile because for the first time in a long time he is really enjoying himself.

Also I loving love the casting for Cassidy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

grobbo posted:

The directing/editing seemed to get itself unnecessarily wound in knots about Cass's movements at the end there.

- After the bar fight, Jesse leaves him in the jail - the cop draws back the bars in the kind of dramatic shorthand that suggests he's going to be there for a while. Cassidy pleads/jokes about the dawn, but the cop clearly isn't interested in talking to him.
- Next we know, he's in Jesse's house, yelling at something/someone/the TV, and it's explained that he came by the church later that same night and found Jesse out cold.
- Jesse, in a rush, pulls on his clothes, and is seen crossing the empty plains to the church in the blazing sunshine.
- Once he's started preaching, Cassidy sits up in one of the pews in a sudden, dishevelled sort of way, as if he's been spending the night there.[

Even a racist small town like that is going to be hard to justify keeping a person who didn't really do anything longer than a day. Also Jesse's organist/assistant mentioned that Cass had moved in to the attic of the church and was trying to fix the broken air conditioner.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Big fan of the comic, though I haven't read it in ten years or so.. I certainly don't think you could do it as-written.

Cassidy is absolutely perfect though, the 'wearing a kiddys arsehole like a wedding ring' line creased me up.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

grobbo posted:

- Once he's started preaching, Cassidy sits up in one of the pews in a sudden, dishevelled sort of way, as if he's been spending the night there.

It was disjointed and knockabout, and I'm unsure how the small-town drama is going to keep itself together as things escalate (particularly as the townsfolk aren't being treated yet as something worth protecting from terrible threats - rather, as corrupt and petty).

But the highs were just sheer splendid fun. And I'm totally onboard with how the characters were introduced. Removing the road-trip format makes it all the more important to bring in Tulip and Cass with a ton of energy and their own substantial plotlines to follow - they're a catalyst for the action now as much as Jesse's new powers, which feels right.

Well, the assistant also says that Jesse has been sleeping for 3 days.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Guy Mann posted:

Here's hoping that for once the comic book fans actually bail on the show so we don't have to put up with an entire season of them complaining and turning the thread into a redacted CIA document in the process.

I guess the difference between myself and the mysterious "comic book fans" you are creating to look snarky and cool is that after my beef about the differences of the show and the defense of them I'm not going to linger and point out every following flaw. I'm bitter and that will fade, but if the show succeeds and people are entertained then cool for them. Better this show than some 2 broke girls bullshit, especially if that means maximum exposure for Gilgun because he really is loving awesome.

I'm self-aware enough to know no one here gives a poo poo about my opinion after it's initial discussion/debate. I'm reasonably sure most non-troll members here are as well.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Show was cool and fun and I'm glad more people get to witness how great Joseph Gilgun is.

TheWZAd
May 23, 2012
I haven't read the comics in about a decade now, so it was cool to be reintroduced to these characters in a fresh way.

grobbo posted:

The continuity stuff with Cass I can dismiss with "he's a vampire," and "I don't really care." I very much agree with you that Tulip and Cass have to pick up the slack here. Cassidy's introduction and actor were fantastic. He's probably the only time in the show where I thought "it's a comic come to life!" As for Tulip, I have mixed feelings. The knife fight in the moving car was loving badass. The bazooka thing immediately after was cringeworthy. She went from badass femme fatale to Tank Girl. It made me worry about the tone of the show, but a move like that is a pretty bold statement. Like "if you think this is ridiculous, this show probably isn't for you." So I'm gonna bite my tongue and hope it all pays off.

The whole first episode I was wondering if Jesse was going to tell that Sheriff to go gently caress himself. At this point I think it'll probably happen in the season finale. I'm not sure what to think about taking this show off the road. On the one hand, it's probably a necessity of a first-season show on AMC. AMC probably doesn't want to blow a lot of money on a first season of anything, which makes sense. Though if Walking Dead is any indication, they might not increase the budget for later seasons dramatically either.

On the other hand, I like the real moral quandry he's in, and I think that focus on his inner conflict is necessary for us to have a relatable protagonist and for the showrunners to turn this pulpy comic book into a TV dramedy regular folks want to watch. It'll be interesting to see his whole light/dark dynamic develop. I'm pretty sure the significance of the Word of God choosing Custer is that he's exactly morally grey enough to embody the spawn of a demon and an angel. Not like that was telegraphed very subtly, but it'll be an interesting balancing act that could either be profound or tedious. I just hope the ridiculousness of some of the stuff in the show doesn't undercut the actual drama and character relationships.

TheWZAd fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 24, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I legitimately found Jesse's last speech to be touching. It seems like an emotional open show, which was a nice surprise.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

I liked the detail about Tom Cruise exploding.

Wouldn't it have made more sense for David Miscavige to have exploded? It's like blowing up Kirk Cameron instead of an actual priest.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Uhh god dammit what the gently caress is this show.

Kinda intriguing though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I actually really love when stories kinda start In-media-res and don't explain things for awhile, letting you pick up the clues. I already know what's up because of the comics so I don't know exactly how it would have played out if I hadn't though.

If anybody has questions I (or I'm sure several other goons) would be happy to explain; although no doubt the show will get around to explaining most of it before long, and some of it you may wanna stay in the dark about until then. (I'd definitely spoil tag any answers)

Guy Mann posted:

Wouldn't it have made more sense for David Miscavige to have exploded? It's like blowing up Kirk Cameron instead of an actual priest.

Yeah you could say that, but Tom Cruise is more recognizable and funnier, and as far as far as Genesis is concerned they all look alike. It just went to various churches full of people of faith, and the scientology building happened to have Tom Cruise on stage at the time, but apparently he wasn't a worthy host. :cheeky:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Because few people know who he is and you wouldn't have gotten the same reaction. Case in point: this thread.

It's like the rocket punches in Pacific Rim all over again.

nopants
May 29, 2004
I really enjoyed the pilot. The only thing that confused me was that I thought Cassidy was another person that had been possessed by the demon/spirit, and I expected him to start rampaging in the bar. I didn't get that he's some other type of supernatural being. I'm happy because this means he could actually be buddies with Custer.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I can imagine how it might be confusing, what with him biting a man on the neck, drinking his blood, filling a "to go" bottle of blood, and burning in direct sunlight.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

nopants posted:

I really enjoyed the pilot. The only thing that confused me was that I thought Cassidy was another person that had been possessed by the demon/spirit, and I expected him to start rampaging in the bar. I didn't get that he's some other type of supernatural being. I'm happy because this means he could actually be buddies with Custer.

Cassidy drinks blood and Jesse doesn't. That's a strong hint. ;) That and Cassidy catching on fire in sunlight, although they only showed a tiny bit of that. (And seemed to kinda ignore some of the implications of it, like somebody pointed out earlier) but the show didn't have a ton of time so its not super clear yet how different they are.

Best buddies :)

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Just finished watching the pilot. It seems ok. Cassidy is a bonafide show stealer and they caught the spirit of Tulip well as a strong independent woman who don't need no man (who still is madly in love with Jesse). Setting the entire first season up as Jesse getting used to Genesis and escaping the town with the Saint in tow seems weird, but I am curious to see how it goes.

Are the two dudes who were globetrotting, tracking down Genesis the Grail or were they angels?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Forceholy posted:

Just finished watching the pilot. It seems ok. Cassidy is a bonafide show stealer and they caught the spirit of Tulip well as a strong independent woman who don't need no man (who still is madly in love with Jesse). Setting the entire first season up as Jesse getting used to Genesis and escaping the town with the Saint in tow seems weird, but I am curious to see how it goes.

Are the two dudes who were globetrotting, tracking down Genesis the Grail or were they angels?

They're Deblanc and Fiore, the Adephi Angels

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Medullah posted:

They're Deblanc and Fiore, the Adephi Angels

So I guess they'll use the Saint as a nuclear option when they fail to get Genesis. I can see that.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Comfortador posted:

One of the biggest guiding memories of the main character is his father who was a John Wayne type. Now he's a preacher? What reason was this change made? If you need a religious person who mentored Jesse create one.

I assume they're transferring the fact that Jesse was forced to be a Preacher by Marie L'Angelle to his father, which I think makes sense. It doesn't stop him from being a super badass soldier, although age-wise he may not have served in Vietnam any more.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Mortanis posted:

I can imagine how it might be confusing, what with him biting a man on the neck, drinking his blood, filling a "to go" bottle of blood, and burning in direct sunlight.

When you lay it out like that, it's pretty clear I'm bad at watching TV. When all that stuff happened, I chalked it up to him being some sort of supernatural demon or what not, but it never clicked that he was a vampire. With the fire thing, I remember thinking he was conjuring the fire or something, not that he was catching fire from being out in the sun :downs:

Maybe it had something to do with watching Game of Thrones right before Preacher. Oh well, I'm glad Cassidy isn't some rear end in a top hat from space and appears to be a cool dude vampire.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zaphod42 posted:

Cassidy drinks blood and Jesse doesn't. That's a strong hint. ;) That and Cassidy catching on fire in sunlight, although they only showed a tiny bit of that. (And seemed to kinda ignore some of the implications of it, like somebody pointed out earlier) but the show didn't have a ton of time so its not super clear yet how different they are.

Best buddies :)

I did like that while showing he was a vampire, they also did the "not your mama's vampire!" bit without having him stop and say the stupid line about how only some things are true. Just a guy pouring holy water on him and Cassidy looking at him like he's the dumbest fucker in the world.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

I watched the show last night with my brother. I liked a lot of it, but I think it still needs some of work. It could be just character building for the first bit though, I felt that it went a bit slow.
I really enjoyed the bar fight

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Why didn't Cassidy catch fire while jumping out of the plane? Or while sitting in that crater?

Didn't really dig the show, Jesse's klutzy introduction, the "Oh no, I mixed up my Jesus notes, you really did it this time Custer!" routine was pretty corny.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I don't understand the confusion some people seem to have about this show. Comics people who are all "it's different to the comics!" are one thing, but people who couldn't follow what was going on because of the few times it cut away to other places? Have you never watched TV before?

There's some sort of entity possessing or empowering religious leaders, but most of them don't survive the experience. Finally it tries Custer and he survives. This gives him the ability to control people like Kilgrave in Jessica Jones.

There's an Irish vampire who's being hunted. His allies aren't being much help so he's laying low in this town he ended up in by accident.

There's a woman who's got some sort of (presumably illegal) plan to get rich, with which she wants Custer's help, but he's not keen.

Custer used to be a violent criminal but is trying to be a good person now, so he's found religion and become a priest. He was about to give up, but then the entity possessed him and he changed his mind.

Did I miss anything?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tiggum posted:

but then the entity possessed him and he changed his mind.

Did I miss anything?

I didn't get the sense the entity changed his mind, but rather this was him coming to his own decision to "be a man" and keep his word like he promised his dad he would.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ruddiger posted:

Why didn't Cassidy catch fire while jumping out of the plane? Or while sitting in that crater?

Didn't really dig the show, Jesse's klutzy introduction, the "Oh no, I mixed up my Jesus notes, you really did it this time Custer!" routine was pretty corny.

Seems he has to be in direct sunlight, which is a somewhat common dodge in vampire stuff. Also he had an umbrella with him while jumping and his crater was surrounded on the sunny side by shrubberies.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

It saddens me greatly that this thread has so few posts after an amazing premiere. Hopefully word of mouth around here will draw in people.

Loved the comic, loved the episode. I do feel that if you knew nothing about it, it'd be kinda slow and not as interesting. Hoping AMC has faith in it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I don't understand the confusion some people seem to have about this show. Comics people who are all "it's different to the comics!" are one thing, but people who couldn't follow what was going on because of the few times it cut away to other places? Have you never watched TV before?

There's some sort of entity possessing or empowering religious leaders, but most of them don't survive the experience. Finally it tries Custer and he survives. This gives him the ability to control people like Kilgrave in Jessica Jones.

There's an Irish vampire who's being hunted. His allies aren't being much help so he's laying low in this town he ended up in by accident.

There's a woman who's got some sort of (presumably illegal) plan to get rich, with which she wants Custer's help, but he's not keen.

Custer used to be a violent criminal but is trying to be a good person now, so he's found religion and become a priest. He was about to give up, but then the entity possessed him and he changed his mind.

Did I miss anything?

Yep pretty much all spot-on, and comparing his powers to Kilgrave is pretty accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cael posted:

It saddens me greatly that this thread has so few posts after an amazing premiere. Hopefully word of mouth around here will draw in people.

Loved the comic, loved the episode. I do feel that if you knew nothing about it, it'd be kinda slow and not as interesting. Hoping AMC has faith in it.

This show didn't even have a thread until T-3 minutes.

• Locked thread