Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

If the guy from the pilot is any indication (my girlfriend said "now she's in a waking coma, good job"). They better not be inconsistent with how literally targets take the Word after setting that up, that would be a terrible waste.

Open your eyes might not be the best instructions after how open your heart turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gyges posted:

Yeah, "open" orders are probably going to end just horribly all around.

Metaphors and verbal shortcuts are literally lethal. :stare:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

JossiRossi posted:

If I had to guess, Quincannon has been pumping animal waste underground for decades. So they have all these pipes and pressure gauges to monitor the gases as they build up/are released.

So basically, The Preacher takes place in Pathologic?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Why do people keep bringing this up like it's a huge surprise, or even a scandal? Just about every show on every network has their budgets significantly reduced in the second season, it's the way television works.

Because it kills shows.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Anyway, yeah, the budget thing is really starting to become obvious. While I think they do definitely make the most they can of what they have, it's almost painful how carefully they're tiptoeing around having to do any big effects-laden scenes. Like the way the conception of Genesis was depicted in the comic, with the armies of heaven and hell clashing, the two rebellious figures, the birth of Genesis, all that up front and center. In the show, we've got live-action characters to show it all to us, and... they tell us the story as talking heads sitting in a diner. :geno:

This isn't a movie, that would have a been a tremendous waste of resources on stuff that is completely inconsequential to what is being told on screen. What would have big CGI armies possibly added to that scene? The answer is nothing, absolutely nothing at all.

Data Graham posted:

I mean, the show can do some pretty neat effects stuff, like the escape from the plane in the pilot. But as a general rule it's being insanely economical, especially for an adaptation of something so inherently visual.

Who cares? What makes this show enjoyable is that it switches between complete lunacy like the Angel fight in this episode and subdued horrifying almost Better Call Saul style 'this barely anything happening on screen is the tensest poo poo ever' in "Go to hell" and "Serve god". Would either of those scenes have been improved by a bigger FX budget? The answer is blatantly no. In fact, the "Go to hell" scene would have been completely ruined by us being shown what was actually happening to him. Small impactful character driven moments is what makes good television.

What I'm saying is that you should enjoy this show for what it is rather then what it isn't.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh my god the music and shooting decisions made during every single one of the attack sequences. It's just all perfect. :allears:

Data Graham posted:

Here we had a prime opportunity for them to show us their conception of Hell. Eugene in torment, billions of people writhing in agony, flames everywhere... and instead they shoot it with a guy getting pulled out of a sandbox, and the one-word description: "Crowded."

A CGI rendition of hell? Really? I literally do not understand from what frame of reference you watch television. :shrug:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

"He didn't say nuthin', he just kicked our asses :downs:"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Data Graham posted:

WTF, is that the place Walt met the vacuum cleaner guy?

I loved it, Walter and Jesse took a trip to hell. This show is the best. :allears:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

This show is so much better than it has any right to be.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha I had no idea.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

I've used "Howard Stark and Rorschach are in it" to try and convince people to watch it. :v:

I would but then I realize I am the only person I know who has actually seen Watchmen.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

The preview for this week's episode looks intense!

What in gods name is that from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The biggest problem however is that it's just a really boring movie.

• Locked thread