Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheWZAd
May 23, 2012
I haven't read the comics in about a decade now, so it was cool to be reintroduced to these characters in a fresh way.

grobbo posted:

It was disjointed and knockabout, and I'm unsure how the small-town drama is going to keep itself together as things escalate (particularly as the townsfolk aren't being treated yet as something worth protecting from terrible threats - rather, as corrupt and petty).

But the highs were just sheer splendid fun. And I'm totally onboard with how the characters were introduced. Removing the road-trip format makes it all the more important to bring in Tulip and Cass with a ton of energy and their own substantial plotlines to follow - they're a catalyst for the action now as much as Jesse's new powers, which feels right.

The continuity stuff with Cass I can dismiss with "he's a vampire," and "I don't really care." I very much agree with you that Tulip and Cass have to pick up the slack here. Cassidy's introduction and actor were fantastic. He's probably the only time in the show where I thought "it's a comic come to life!" As for Tulip, I have mixed feelings. The knife fight in the moving car was loving badass. The bazooka thing immediately after was cringeworthy. She went from badass femme fatale to Tank Girl. It made me worry about the tone of the show, but a move like that is a pretty bold statement. Like "if you think this is ridiculous, this show probably isn't for you." So I'm gonna bite my tongue and hope it all pays off.

The whole first episode I was wondering if Jesse was going to tell that Sheriff to go gently caress himself. At this point I think it'll probably happen in the season finale. I'm not sure what to think about taking this show off the road. On the one hand, it's probably a necessity of a first-season show on AMC. AMC probably doesn't want to blow a lot of money on a first season of anything, which makes sense. Though if Walking Dead is any indication, they might not increase the budget for later seasons dramatically either.

On the other hand, I like the real moral quandry he's in, and I think that focus on his inner conflict is necessary for us to have a relatable protagonist and for the showrunners to turn this pulpy comic book into a TV dramedy regular folks want to watch. It'll be interesting to see his whole light/dark dynamic develop. I'm pretty sure the significance of the Word of God choosing Custer is that he's exactly morally grey enough to embody the spawn of a demon and an angel. Not like that was telegraphed very subtly, but it'll be an interesting balancing act that could either be profound or tedious. I just hope the ridiculousness of some of the stuff in the show doesn't undercut the actual drama and character relationships.

TheWZAd fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWZAd
May 23, 2012

Medullah posted:

Interview with Garth Ennis about why it's okay Tulip is a psycho now and he's okay with the changes.

Minor spoilers about the series and the comic, obviously.

I'm still not happy about Tulip but oh well, we'll see.

That's really interesting. Tulip was really different, wasn't she? At this point she's the weakest link in the show for me. She did not save the cat, she loving skinned it.

TheWZAd
May 23, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

There's an interesting theme of finding happiness/pleasure through pain in the pilot. The abusive relationship fulfilling sexual satisfaction, Jesse's fear of being evil while finding satisfaction in sadistic behavior, Arseface searching for faith and forgiveness in the wake of his "incident", Cassidy literally surviving on blood, religious figures seemingly gaining omnipresence as Genesis enters them, before they explode in gore, Tulip clearly having fun and playing "arts and crafts" with children while creating tools of destruction, Brian Huskey's character killing himself in an act of defiance against motherly oppression .

I feel like that pleasure is mostly the writers'. It's definitely a theme, but I don't know if it's one we're supposed to meditate on - it feels more like a stylistic choice to me, necessary to adapt the source material. It's almost the definition of pulp fiction.

TheWZAd
May 23, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Even though it applies to every character who is given significant screen time?

I don't think your reading is as tight as you're making out

• Locked thread