Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
You know, I wouldn't be upset that this is a completely different story than the comics if it were just some adopted property like Lucifer, but the fact that it's backed by self professed "die hard fans" and is literally a departure in EVERY WAY makes me sad. :(. Some changes I expect but this is just.... Bad. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

COOL CORN posted:

Is this any good

Surprisingly as long as you just ignore the source it's a semi enjoyable show with a good lead. Don't think I'm expecting to say the same about this.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm just glad the defining characteristics of the characters are still there from the books - Tulip's hatred of guns, Jesse abandoning Annville and not taking his preaching role seriously, Sheriff Root's hatred of his son and refusal to acknowledge him since his wife left them, etc.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

futureproof posted:

I seriously hope they're not planning on having them stick around town for awhile, because that's the impression I'm getting from this review of the first 4 episodes (doesn't spoil anything). One of my favourite things about the comic is that the whole thing is one big road trip. No mention of the main plot from the comic either but I have read that Saint of Killers and Herr Starr are supposed to show up within the first 4 episodes, so who knows.

This is the thing that worries me most of all. They're doing the Salvation arc (In some way, I guess) in Annville so at least a large portion of the season will be spent there. And Jesse doesn't destroy his congregation the moment he gets the Word like in the books, which is the catalyst for him leaving and fleeing the cops.

Rhyno posted:

In the comics Tulip loving loves guns.

This show is not good.

Leonard Pine posted:

No, she's good at them and she knows them, but she doesn't love them. After the hunting accident and all.

This show was weird. I don't get the casting of Dominic Cooper at all. I don't mind him as an actor but he is probably the last person I'd think of to cast as Jesse Custer. I don't really mind change and departure but if they're going to stay in Annville, what is this show even going to be about? The whole point of the comic was that it was a manhunt.

Gilgun and the Tom Cruise joke were spectacular, though.

Right, it's a major plot point early on that while Tulip is competent and knows how to USE a gun, she hates them because her dad was killed in a hunting accident. Again, I wasn't expecting a carbon copy of the book and there's definitely some stuff that needs to change, but it almost seems like they took Tulip and Jesse and said "Let's make them the opposite of what they were in the books..".

I'm also worried about Jesse "Returning to Annville to finish his dad's work as a preacher" because lord knows that's a huge departure too.

Again, I wouldn't be upset if this were just comic adaptation #7,532 and strayed from the source (iZombie is a fantastic show that has almost nothing to do with the comic it's based on) except Rogan kept saying over and over again how he was a superfan and wanted to make something that did the comic justice. =/

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Never read the comics, have the barest idea of what it was about. Loved the pilot. It was weird, and funny, and unique. So I'm in.

EDIT: And for god's sake, don't post spoilers about the comics. I don't want to have to drop this thread.

The show is drastically different than the comic thus far. Annville is literally about two pages in the book, and it's the entire season of the show. I'll refrain from posting spoilers but at this point I have no clue what direction they're going with.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

COOL CORN posted:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion and all, but I just don't understand how someone can write off an entire show based on 1/4 of the first episode.

Because it's changed the tone of the story and introduces enough changes that you can see where they're going.

Personally I was worried about it in the first thirty seconds with the cheesy Sci-Fi intro sequence. Hell, not keeping the Cassidy reveal for a later critical scene was a dumb decision in my mind.

I'll keep watching it to see if they change direction but it's gone from a "must watch live" to "DVR and watch when I'm bored" show.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

I never read the comic, but heard about it here and there through other nerds. I was a little annoyed at how jumbled the pilot was. According to what I read, it doesn't follow the comic. But from what I see I think that comic readers would enjoy the show better knowing the background of these characters and what their deals are, because I was really confused. I felt like I was missing a prologue or something important.

No, it makes it worse being a comic reader and knowing the background, because the characters are so different (Well, Tulip at the very least, and I'm not so pumped about Jesse's dad being a preacher either).

I'll admit that the books are far from art, they definitely are Garth Ennis books, but ultimately the base storyline was fantastic. The arc where Jesse's family is introduced and his past is revealed still stands as a great story to me and I'm nervous to see how they're going to change it around.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

The show is about Scientology. They all have super powers because they have thetans which control them.

It pretty clearly showed Scientology isn't true when Tom Cruise died.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Forceholy posted:

Just finished watching the pilot. It seems ok. Cassidy is a bonafide show stealer and they caught the spirit of Tulip well as a strong independent woman who don't need no man (who still is madly in love with Jesse). Setting the entire first season up as Jesse getting used to Genesis and escaping the town with the Saint in tow seems weird, but I am curious to see how it goes.

Are the two dudes who were globetrotting, tracking down Genesis the Grail or were they angels?

They're Deblanc and Fiore, the Adephi Angels

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Interview with Garth Ennis about why it's okay Tulip is a psycho now and he's okay with the changes.

Minor spoilers about the series and the comic, obviously.

I'm still not happy about Tulip but oh well, we'll see.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

TheWZAd posted:

That's really interesting. Tulip was really different, wasn't she? At this point she's the weakest link in the show for me. She did not save the cat, she loving skinned it.

Yeah I can really come to terms with most of the changes but making her start out as a crazy assassin psychopath really takes away from the tone of the character and the very basis of the relationship with her and Jesse. (Comic spoilers) Basically, the whole story of the Preacher comic is about Jesse and Tulip falling in love, losing each other when Jesse is forced to abandon her "for no reason", finding each other again and testing their relationship when Jesse doesn't think she can handle herself and is afraid of her getting hurt, etc, etc until he learns to stop being an old fashioned macho man and treat her as an equal.

But I'm slowly learning that's my opinion and I'm in the minority - people all over are talking about how badass and awesome Tulip is, so I'll just sit back and see if they can salvage my interest.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hollismason posted:

How are they even remotely going to makeThe Boys on network and also without Simon Peggy?

He thought he was too old for the part back in 2011. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Gyges posted:

Nothing against Simon Pegg, but it's really better off if casting ignores celebrity character design. Imagine how much worse Wanted would have been if they went with the casting from the comic? Hell, Sam Jackson Nick Fury isn't all that great. It's not a Sam Jacksony enough character in the MCU for Sam Jackson.

Been a while since I read Wanted, who was the celebrity inspiration there?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Pretty much everyone is doing it. Fox doubled up Bob's Burgers last week to compensate.

Plus it gives then an extra week to build audience with the pilot replay.

And don't forget the premiere of Talking Preacher.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

They broke convention, but I guess they couldn't call it Talking God right?

Also why the gently caress is there a need for Talking Preacher?

Same reason there's a need for Talking <anything> - double the slots for advertisers. It's easy money for AMC.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Eau de MacGowan posted:

It's been a while since I read the comics but wasn't Tulip the level headed one?

Yeah, she was (I guess I'll spoiler since it's comics but clearly different character) a girl that Jesse met when he ran away from his hosed up family, fell in love with and then seemingly abandoned when his family found him and forced him to come back home and become a preacher. When they meet up by chance in the beginning of the series she hates him for leaving her but doesn't know the real reason. She's no-nonsense, knows how to use guns but despises them because of a traumatic event from her childhood. Her relationship with Jesse is pretty much the central theme of the book - he wants to protect her like an old fashioned cowboy, but she doesn't "need" his protection.

They definitely didn't come from the same town, and he hadn't become a preacher when they first met - they stole cars together, which was the "big criminals" they had been

Seems they're taking the "she can take care of herself" part to the extreme with this version.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

ruddiger posted:

Will the give Jesse his lighter? Kinda bullshit without it.

I read they will most likely, but will need to obscure a letter or two to get away with it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

It really depends on whether or not Jesse is supposed to be Dominic Cooper's age. Because he was born in 78 and that's old enough that his dad could have been in Vietnam.

Even in the comic Jesse is an "old fashioned" guy. 20 years ago John Wayne movies weren't exactly modern - wouldn't be that big of a stretch to keep him a fan of old Westerns. And I can see them making the lighter Jesse's grandfather's rather than his fathers, handed down from father to son.

The part that I'm really "interested" in seeing is how Jesse's dad ends up being a preacher without ruining the character

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah in the comics Jesse was 17-18 when he met Tulip and she was 21 (scene where she buys him a beer because she's of legal drinking age), and I think the main series picks up just a couple years after then, so he's early 20s in the comic.

Think the show is going for more of a mature Jesse who has spent a few years preachin, and his "dark past" with Tulip will be when they were younger, probably skipping town together or something along those lines.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Silentgoldfish posted:

I just reread the comics (parts hold up, others don't) and they explicitly say they've been together about 10 years by the time the comic's over, so they're early mid thirties by that time.

I've been re-reading them too and just read that it was 5 years since Jesse left Tulip, so he's 23-24 when the series begins with Tulip being 26-27. :D

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Preview of next week's episode, showing Tulip and her seductive ways and Jesse doing some good ol' fashioned baptisms.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

COOL CORN posted:

What is it the angel / "mysterious man in cowboy hat" says? It sounded like "This makes sense", but I couldn't make it out.

I think it's "this doesn't make sense" as in, why hasn't Jesse exploded.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Frankly, Saga's pretty much unadaptable by any channel unwilling to show straight up hardcore loving, so I'm not shocked.

Yeah I wouldn't even want to see it tried. It's an amazing comic but SO FAR out there. Hell, a main character is a ghost of a teenage girl floating around with her guts hanging out.

Y could very easily be adapted.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Doppelganger posted:

Just a reminder that when Preacher was in development hell, Ennis flat-out told a former producer that it wasn't necessary to completely stick to the comics.

Yeah Ennis is the opposite of Alan Moore, giving Rogen carte blanche to change whatever he wants as long as he sticks to the spirit of the series.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Supreme Allah posted:

That's an impressive moment for Jody because everyone else is freaking out and he just jumps into a trough of water. My favorite off the top of my head is 'Miss' to the Grails sadist torturing Cassidy.

The more I remember about this series the more I don't know how they'll pull off some of the stuff that happens especially with the Grail and their very special charge.

The best Word usage in the comics is You're going to go gently caress yourself, sheesh.

I reread the series over the last few weeks and laughed at " You all gently caress off" cut to guy running ".... Forever?"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hollismason posted:

I am a little apprehensive that it doesn't seem that we will be getting a lot of road trips this season because it seems like everything is in Ratwater. That's the only thing that concerns me.

I watched an interview with Rogen, Ennis and a couple other people. Basically (Season 1 and comic spoilers)

Season 1 will be set entirely in Annville. Depending on the reception of the show they'll probably do road trip after season 1 - however, they haven't decided if they're going to bring the Grail and the child or the hunt for God into the series yet.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

HATTAM posted:

I really have no idea how or what they're going to do with this story, but hopefully they can recreate the moment where Tulip thinks Jesse randomly left her for 5 years but turns out it was because hosed up past. Immediately after Jesse loses her and feels truly lost. It was a pretty strong emotional moment for me reading it but I can't tell how long this show will even be or what they'll use

Pretty sure that can't happen in the series because Jesse and Tulip grew up together in the show, apparently

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Changing the object of Jesse's fascination and admiration from John Wayne to The Dude would have a lot of consequences for the themes and politics of the story, unless they change the entire context of everything surrounding the imaginary friend bit

Which is likely; idk if they'll do it at all

I'm pretty sure they're just not going to do that.

At this point I'm pretty sure we'll see (comics spoilers/TV theory)

- A fairly accurate Saint, though I doubt they'll touch on him killing the Devil.

- A version of Jody and Jesse's family, though I have no idea how they'd go from "My dad was a war hero" to "My dad was a Preacher and I took over his church and want to make him proud.

- Cassidy's "true colors" coming through, though I don't see how they can make Tulip into the shattered woman who lost her one true love and turns to booze and pills

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I think y'alls waaaaaaaaaaaay overthinking a throwaway joke. Pretty sure they're not going to bring the (comic) John Wayne imaginary friend aspect into the show.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

odiv posted:

No, I'm pretty sure that the show is morphing into a procedural where a Southern preacher with an imaginary friend and his vampire associate solve crimes.

*Tell me the truth, did you kill him?* "Oh yes, definitely."

"Well poo poo, what do we do with the rest of the 55 minutes?"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Castor Poe posted:

I don't see why not, honestly. They could easily get away with it if they just have Jesse go, "And as for you, Roots..." and cut to paramedics discussing Sheriff Root's condition in gruesome details as he's being wheeled into the ambulance.

"Go screw yourself" would be TV friendly.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

I dunno how well this would work with the established literalism.

We're talking comic spoilers here so he quite literally DOES gently caress himself.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Honestly, I'm the comic book purist here, and I hope they *don't* go that direction with the Sheriff. In the books the "go gently caress yourself" was the moment where Jesse found out that his Word was taken literally. We've had that moment in the show already.

This version of Root is definitely not the pure evil racist (against both blacks and Martians) that the book version is, so unless he makes a MAJOR heel turn in the show I don't see that happening.

Could be wrong though, of course.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Data Graham posted:

UHT'S gonna have to be something other than NUHVUHNUH that puts the period on his arc then.

When we're first introduced to Eugene he's listening to rap. I was trying to think of any rap stars that shot themselves in the head

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Wade Wilson posted:

I tried reading Preacher recently and couldn't get past everyone having the same face, including the women.

Yeah Dillon has an unusual art style. I think it fits Preacher, but pretty much only Preacher.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

It's definitely clear now that this is a reimagining rather than straight adaptation, and there's nothing wrong with that and I'm excited to see where they're going with it. The concerns posted by readers seem to be a collision of pre-existing knowledge of the characters, those aspects of the characters being introduced differently, and uncertainty about how deep the differences go. I think someone coming in blind would have a better, not worse, chance of following what's actually happening on screen because assumed knowledge is tripping up folks that are familiar with the source material.

The reason that comic fans are a bit miffed isn't really that it's a reimagining, it's that Seth Rogen kept talking about how he wanted to do "an accurate adaptation of the comic" and how he wanted to keep it close to the source material. We expected a bit of change, that's the way it is, but a complete change in characters (specifically Tulip) just came as a shock based on what Rogen was saying.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Comic book based show? Excllent pilot? Frequent start-stop plot points? If they all start living at a farm, I'm going to cut my losses and run.

Well at least the main character isn't a southern guy played by an English actor and they didn't turn a female character into a badass gun toting superhero.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tortolia posted:

AMC just renewed for a second, 13 episode season. :toot:

I can't wait to see what the infamous AMC zero budget second season does for this show. Perhaps we'll spend it on the farm Jesse grew up on.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Why do people keep bringing this up like it's a huge surprise, or even a scandal? Just about every show on every network has their budgets significantly reduced in the second season, it's the way television works.

Because by all rights this is a show that SHOULD be able to be done with minimal budget and minimal special effects. They SHOULD be able to get by on the story alone...

Should...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dr Christmas posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about Eugene. He probably just rushed off to Hell, Michigan.

I lived a mile outside Hell for a few years. It's literally like a gas station and an Arbys.

• Locked thread