Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Kulkasha posted:

I like how they're setting up the Saint's utter hatred for preachers. Was that in the original comic?

It was, but the Preacher was a part of a larger gang. I like how they've streamlined it here to just the Preacher. It's a small change in a very faithful adaptation, but I think it really works for the TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Gyges posted:

Was I the only person who was expecting the portly guardian of the pressure room to keel over from a heart attack or something as the camera held on him sitting down and reading his paper?

I was expecting DeBlanc and Fiore to bust in and break the machine, but yes, I was expecting something to happen when he sat down.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Bogmonster posted:

This is probably me reading too much in to it, but the opening credits seem to suggest a connection with Heaven. When an actor's name comes up, it seems to show a scene they are involved in behind them (Derek Wilson has the gun in his mouth scene for example).
In this, Tom Brooke has the lamp from the motel, then it shows the heaven phone, then the control room, then the coffee can that Genesis lived in before Anatol Yusef's name comes up. I don't know, but that seems to suggest a connection with DeBlanc and Fiore to me.

Seeing as how everything from Heaven looks mechanical and human on Earth, I assume that Pappy is an angel like DeBlanc and Fiore, and the machine he maintains in that control room is where the Saint of Killers is kept.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Medullah posted:

I think you're digging WAY too deep into that. I think it's pretty obvious that Quincannon is doing something (fracking, etc) that's causing a build up of gas pressure and Pappy's job is to release the gas (remember the scene where the pipe opened and something came out?).

All leading to an inevitable explosion.

I agree that we're heading to an inevitable explosion, and we've been looking at the cause in the control room all season.

The scenes of Pappy in the control room seem to be designed for wild fan speculation, so we'll see how wrong I am over the next two weeks.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There are actually *two* Ennis Fury MAX runs. There's the one where he takes on the former Russian/Hydra guy (which is rumored to have been the sole cause as to why George Clooney decided to not play Nick Fury when the Marvel movies started up), and then there's the one where it chronicles him through the Cold War. The first one is funnier, the second one is amazing yet tragic as gently caress.

The first one has tons of Ennis' weaknesses as a writer, but Fury: My War Gone By is some of the best work Ennis has ever done.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Data Graham posted:

The comics handle the entire story told in this season of the TV show in one flashback of about five pages. After that it's full-steam-ahead into a whole different story.

Rogen/Goldberg were right to say that the backstory deserved more coverage than the comics gave it; rereading it, yeah, it's pretty threadbare for that whole first bit, I guess because Ennis wanted to get right straight down to some good ol' Vertigo action. But while I think there was more story there than would have fit into (say) a single pilot episode, there wasn't enough for a whole season of TV.

So they stretched it, and they fleshed out a bunch of characters, and they shot their wad on a couple of characters that would otherwise only have shown up much later. But in committing to ending the season in the same place the comic starts (the three of them sitting in a diner and coming to terms with having just been at the center of a cataclysm that wiped a Texas town off the map), they also committed to throwing away all the character development they'd spent that whole first season on, for all the characters but the central ones who survive.

It's an odd situation to be in, and kind of a tricky table they've set for themselves. I think they could very well pull it off. But it's sort of inevitable, from the decisions they've made, that the texture of the aftermath of this season will be something very unusual and choppy.

We didn't get to see Jesse and Tulip react to their hometown blowing up yet, and the state of Texas will at least want to talk to the only survivors of Anneville, especially since all three of them have criminal records.

I'm hoping the fallout from Anneville's destruction at least plays a role in Season 2, so all that time we spent in the town in season 1 feels less like a waste.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

cjg posted:

How would the state know that they survived?

I honestly hadn't thought of it, but it's possible Sheriff Root put out an APB on Custer, Tulip, and Cassidy after church.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Zaphod42 posted:

I was about to post, odds are they'd just be presumed dead. Might catch up to them later on if they try to use a credit card or something, but they could just go off the grid.

Assuming he lived, yeah. Although it wasn't really their fault! hah.

Wouldn't there be an APB out for Custer since he escaped from police custody after being arrested days before the town was destroyed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

Preacher: Like Lady and The Tramp, but in our butts.

Now I need to rewatch that scene.

• Locked thread