Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Making Reinhardt more engaging could be as easy as adding two e skills and tighter charge control. He can play pretty aggro to begin with. But if they want to rework tanking entirely to be more aggressive it feels like the entire game would need to be balanced around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

adhuin posted:

It is not, because the bullying isn't really about your borders or colour of your medals.
It's about them not being able to handle losing 50% of the time and needing someone to blame to boost their fragile ego.
Have they tried shutting off all in-game communication channels except for callouts, emotes and sprays? There's always discussion about toxicity, so how about some experimenting on how to handle it?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You can't make a competitive shooter and take away voice chat. You just need to hit harder with moderation.

I actually rarely get people talking a ton of poo poo in Smite now, as they'll get banned for even a "gently caress you" or spamming "You Rock" using the in game chat when you die.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Moderation almost never includes voice chat since they don't log it. See how many people say slurs on voice chat then the person telling them stfu in text gets banned for a month.

xtal fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 23, 2021

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
The Year of the Ox even went and with it one of the best seasonal game modes ever.
No, I'm not talking about Competitive Capture the Flag.

I'm talking about Bounty Hunter. The best deathmatch mode ever.
During the event, I pretty much played it exclusively.

It's fun when everyone tries to gang up on bounty and snipe it for themselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfT14Bbh9To

Free healing and ult for the Bounty makes the mode extra swingy. Just the way I like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGk3MB74Wao

Not on video:
2 Reapers chasing me as the Bounty Winston, who got booped overboard on Paris.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

If there was a map select option I would play Kanezaka deathmatch all day

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

New Pachi Marchi Challenge this month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPM1AOgd1yw

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It says it starts March 9th but my spouse was playing around 1pm EST and there was no update.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It says it starts March 9th but my spouse was playing around 1pm EST and there was no update.

It's currently live for me on CST :shrug:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Season starts are 11am pacific, 7pm GMT,
so you were 1-2 hours too early?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Greetings from the OWL thread! Last Sunday there was a round table with a bunch of OWL pro players and related people, with some of the devs as well, discussing possible changes to be tested on an upcoming experimental card. This is the list of what they decided upon, to be available on the experimental card next week:

https://overwatchleague.com/en-us/news/experimental-card-tournament-hero-changes-how-to-play-and-where-to-watch

There will be a mini open tournament to go with it, as well. None of the changes are intended to make it live, according to Blizzard.

Also due to current accusations on pro player sinatraa (his ex gf accused him of sexual harassment among other things), Blizzard will be issuing refunds on the Zarya MIB Alien skin, and they will also be editing the skin to remove all the specific references to that pro player.

Ignis fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 16, 2021

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Lol Genji. Making sure he gets a team kill more reliably.

Alternate fire spread reduced from 9 to 8 meters

Dragon Blade: when Genji gets a kill during his ultimate, the duration is increased by 1 second

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 16, 2021

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Tracer: Health increased from 150 to 175
Hack: Activation time increased from 0.65 to 1.15 seconds

Who could have guessed that a bunch of pros and streamers would suggest massive buffs for the twitchy "high skill ceiling" DPS and crippling nerfs for everything that counters them

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bruh they buffed mei, junkrat, bastion, symmetra, torb...

sombra and tracer compete for the same slot, I think people just don't like being hacked and saw an opportunity

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I doubt most of those changes are going to make it live, seems like they just got bored and wanted to mix it up with nonsense

But yes, the sombra changes are particularly bad. I don't think you need to give big nerfs to one of the hardest heros with the worst win rate.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sombra's hack is good and fun but it doesn't need a nerf lmao, they're just mad she can hack genji out of his ult before he hits the ground

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
None of these changes are ever meant to go live and are for a specific fun mini tournament. They're not nerfing sombra in any other sense, lol.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Two Torb turrets?

Bring that to live servers.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

dogstile posted:

None of these changes are ever meant to go live and are for a specific fun mini tournament. They're not nerfing sombra in any other sense, lol.

Sombra isn't OP or anything but I think having hack as an ability is a mistake and extremely unfun (her ult is fine though). Just having all your kit just turn off suckkkkkkkkkkkks.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Sombra's hack is just a worse version of Rocket Punch. It's like if you have the charge time, but instead of the ultimate CC (instantly killing them) , that was when you got to start shooting them with a weak rear end weapon that takes 100% accuracy to clip with.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

xtal posted:

Sombra's hack is just a worse version of Rocket Punch. It's like if you have the charge time, but instead of the ultimate CC (instantly killing them) , that was when you got to start shooting them with a weak rear end weapon that takes 100% accuracy to clip with.

The real utility of Hack is using it on health packs anyways

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

xtal posted:

Rocket punch is horizontal only, is way louder, and imo dying feels way less frustrating than being alive but not being able to actually play your character. The only the worse is being chain stunned or frozen, and for the same reasons.

Also the range on Hack means it's far less risky, that Doomfist has to commit to kill you, then make sure they stick the escape.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 17, 2021

minema
May 31, 2011
I've returned to overwatch after a few years off, did my first comp games in forever this week (ranked high silver) and holy poo poo it's better than I expected. Lots of people on voice chat, lots of grouping up and combining ults well, lots of fun whole match chat, it's been way less toxic than I thought it would be!

Radio PhoolCat
Aug 13, 2003

Gentlemanly attire.
(wheee)

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Sombra isn't OP or anything but I think having hack as an ability is a mistake and extremely unfun (her ult is fine though). Just having all your kit just turn off suckkkkkkkkkkkks.

The one thing I object to with Hack is what happens to Lúcio - Moira and Ana can still heal when hacked!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Countering Lucio and Ball is half the fun of playing Sombra, it's like an auto win to see those. I've also found that if you use EMP on sound barrier or photon barrier that it's a guaranteed POG, not sure how they calculate that.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

xtal posted:

Countering Lucio and Ball is half the fun of playing Sombra, it's like an auto win to see those. I've also found that if you use EMP on sound barrier or photon barrier that it's a guaranteed POG, not sure how they calculate that.

I believe photon barrier has a large amount of HP, and sound barrier provides rapidly decaying shields, so I guess based on treating shield loss as HP loss, and the subsequential mopping up of the hacked team doesn't hurt your chances either.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
In the past 3-4 weeks I've probably opened ten loot boxes, and every single item I've pulled from them except a couple of yellow-rarity skins has been a duplicate to an item I already had. I do not have anything like the number of unlocks that would be necessary to make this make any sense. Is this happening to anybody else?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There are a bunch of unlocks that are event-specific or tied to achievements. We're at the point where that's all we have left to acquire so everything is a duplicate unless there's an event going on.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pope Guilty posted:

In the past 3-4 weeks I've probably opened ten loot boxes, and every single item I've pulled from them except a couple of yellow-rarity skins has been a duplicate to an item I already had. I do not have anything like the number of unlocks that would be necessary to make this make any sense. Is this happening to anybody else?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

There are a bunch of unlocks that are event-specific or tied to achievements. We're at the point where that's all we have left to acquire so everything is a duplicate unless there's an event going on.

Yes I think it’s this. Regular boxes are always 4/5 duplicates, but my gallery only shows 50-60 items for most heroes. I felt confused until I realized how many event sprays, voice lines, etc there are.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I believe you get the 8-bit spray for each character for their regular achievement and the cute spray for their difficult achievement. Maybe the other way around. But that’s two for each character if you haven’t gotten any yet.

EDIT: Also, I’m not sure if the special one-offs you have to buy with real money are counted as well, like the cancer awareness Mercy.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 2, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I believe you get the 8-bit spray for each character for their regular achievement and the cute spray for their difficult achievement. Maybe the other way around. But that’s two for each character if you haven’t gotten any yet.

EDIT: Also, I’m not sure if the special one-offs you have to buy with real money are counted as well, like the cancer awareness Mercy.

If you don't own them most of them won't show up under the default filter, same with the Comp skins

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, that makes sense, thanks.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Mei being a tank in the new experimental patch is very lol and I'm having a great time with her as my off tank while I feed as rein

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I've played a couple days after not playing for a couple months, and my SR has been sailing, 500 points in DPS, then I didn't want to wreck my ranking so I played healer for a while and I have almost 500 there too. I don't think I magically got that much better, it's more evidence in favor of engagement based matchmaking/ELO hell etc.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

I figured out that it's both this and also the fact that the vast majority of drops are common quality- most of what I don't have is purple or higher, and of course those drop less often.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Ashcans posted:

Yes I think it’s this. Regular boxes are always 4/5 duplicates, but my gallery only shows 50-60 items for most heroes. I felt confused until I realized how many event sprays, voice lines, etc there are.

Yeah. I have something like 100+ items for most heroes unlocked.
I’m still missing few basic gold skins + few more golds from each event.

But I’m mostly using default or owl skins.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1378754588921184256

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

adhuin posted:

Two Torb turrets

And a microphone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1379147140597944320

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1379124991774621698

it's possible i'm the only one who still cares abt new skins in this game