Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Does the pinging have voice lines? Like does your character give a contextually appropriate callout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Danknificent posted:

Does the pinging have voice lines? Like does your character give a contextually appropriate callout?

Can't remember. It does have a very noticible sound effect though that's easily recognizable. I think the visual indicator for pings could be better though, but the sound effect is pretty good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

DoctorJones posted:

torb is my most played hero and if i'm ever in a pinch and want to win, i switch to him.

he's a dps machine, but you have to be really smart with you turret placement. i try to move it as often as i can to keep the enemy guessing. i was consistently topping dps for my team in ow2.

that said, the turret felt a lot squishier in ow2. i imagine this is due to us not playing barrierwatch anymore. i think overload giving the turret buffs, too, would be a good place to start.

kedo posted:

Backline is by far the superior position for turrets as far as both DPS and flank protection is concerned. Putting a turret on the frontline is a good way to get your turret blown up in two seconds.

However OW2 seems so much more chaotic than OW1 (perhaps because no one knows the maps yet), that turret placement feels random at best. Granted I am not a Torb main, so maybe I'm just bad at it.

See this illustrates perfectly the problem with Torb, his kit is so specialized and situational(especially his turret*) that with the amount of effort you have to put into him to be effective it just makes more sense to use literally any other Damage hero in the game instead as you'll probably be way more effective for way less work

Sad thing is I can't really see any way to meaningfully buff Torb besides reverting him back to his old version where he had armor packs and upgradable turrets, or do some wacky things with his turret that would probably be broken as poo poo

*it's especially telling that all the advice I see regarding using this thing effectively ultimately comes down to either treating it as a glorified burglar alarm against people trying to flank or back cap or to use it like a more cumbersome and less effective version of Symmetra's orbs

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

drrockso20 posted:

See this illustrates perfectly the problem with Torb, his kit is so specialized and situational(especially his turret*) that with the amount of effort you have to put into him to be effective it just makes more sense to use literally any other Damage hero in the game instead as you'll probably be way more effective for way less work

Sad thing is I can't really see any way to meaningfully buff Torb besides reverting him back to his old version where he had armor packs and upgradable turrets, or do some wacky things with his turret that would probably be broken as poo poo

*it's especially telling that all the advice I see regarding using this thing effectively ultimately comes down to either treating it as a glorified burglar alarm against people trying to flank or back cap or to use it like a more cumbersome and less effective version of Symmetra's orbs

I think there are some meaningful torb buffs... Mostly a smaller headbox and shiftier movement, Maybe armor, Faster projectiles, less M2 spread, and lower turret respawn so it is always a threat except for small breaks if you take the time to destroy it in combat.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Playing into so many barriers in OW1 after the OW2 beta sucks so hard lol

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

teagone posted:

It really was way more fun. If they come out with a comp mode and like three new tanks/supports combined in the next beta I think people are gonna come around.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

There is always a loving roadhog

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

teagone posted:

yea going back to it now OW is even shittier than it felt before

i don’t think there’s anything that can really be done unless blizzard had the balls to completely change the functionality and design of tanks however, even in OW2 with fewer shields and one tank per team having some overpowered unstoppable character that can CC you running around is just extremely not fun to play against. like roadhog was weak from a winning games perspective but getting stun hooked still feels like absolute bullshit, likewise doomfist

OW2 beta was a step in the right direction but there needs to be a more fundamental shift in design philosophy for this game away from trying to force MMO combat design into an FPS

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
OW is kind of a time capsule of a game. I don't think you could try to make it now without it getting slammed as an idiotic concept (you want a zero-inertia fps moba-like? why? do you hate yourself?), but also it came out on the tail end of the shooter scene being cod, battlefield, TF2, and counterstrike (and probably some freaks still playing UT or quake or other even older shooters). Setting aside the 'why would you put an mmo guy in charge of a shooter??' question, OW really makes more sense in that context. It wasn't cutting edge then, at all, if anything it was a step back in most FPS genre respects. Titanfall 2, which also came out in 2016 was the step forward, for comparison and it's DNA very unambiguously went on to become Apex. Battlefield was still at the height of its popularity and was doing gangbusters. It was an innocent time, too, no one had even breathed a whiff of battle royales as the next big mainstream thing. The entire BR revolution and cycles of BRs getting announced and developed and flopping happened after OW was released.

Meanwhile OW and OW2 is still basically designing a game for 2016, albeit with a ping system now! Balancing high ground access remains an unsolved thing in the OW universe, as does balancing basic team compositional stuff. Players still have zero inertia making it probably the only FPS I can think of in 2022 that still does that, which is wild, there's a reason why no other game does that. At this point idk what they could even do to really stack up with where FPS are as a genre currently. I'd say there's probably room for some kind of arcadey, fun light-hearted arena game, but, yknow they're stuck to OWL so ultra-competitive FPS it is, I guess.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
At some point you need to ask yourself if you thought it was a step back when it came out and even worse now why are you even here lmao. Some of you guys are so dramatic. Some FPS franchises have been releasing the pretty much same game for a decade+. OW2 already has some very significant changes in its first beta iteration, and while it definitely still could use some work, it seems like some of you are expecting them to just throw out the core of what makes OW OW and design a totally new game with the same IP. Obviously that's not what they're going to do so I don't know what to tell you.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
launch overwatch could never work in this day and age because that was actually a good game and blizzard doesn't know how to release those anymore

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
#bringbackscatterarrow

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Players still have zero inertia making it probably the only FPS I can think of in 2022 that still does that, which is wild, there's a reason why no other game does that. At this point idk what they could even do to really stack up with where FPS are as a genre currently. I'd say there's probably room for some kind of arcadey, fun light-hearted arena game, but, yknow they're stuck to OWL so ultra-competitive FPS it is, I guess.

I fuckin adored Titanfall 2 and still think it's the best non-tactical FPS ever released, and I loved Apex until I fully burned out on battle royale, but the feel of OW with zero inertia is one of the things I actually appreciate about it. It's so different from every other modern FPS that it has a unique feel to it, it's just crispy feeling in a really old school way, which is fun.

They've absolutely hosed it up irreparably by a combination of chasing esports and trying to make it into some hosed up MMO DOTA hybrid thing, but the core feel of the game engine is phenomenal and why so many people who hate the game wish it was actually good.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Wheeee posted:

I fuckin adored Titanfall 2 and still think it's the best non-tactical FPS ever released, and I loved Apex until I fully burned out on battle royale, but the feel of OW with zero inertia is one of the things I actually appreciate about it. It's so different from every other modern FPS that it has a unique feel to it, it's just crispy feeling in a really old school way, which is fun.

They've absolutely hosed it up irreparably by a combination of chasing esports and trying to make it into some hosed up MMO DOTA hybrid thing, but the core feel of the game engine is phenomenal and why so many people who hate the game wish it was actually good.

Yeah you do zero inertia+instant acceleration because it feels really good, it's a huge part of what makes the better feeling mmos have the good feeling movement that they do. It's 100% an mmo thing. You don't do it in FPS because it amplifies a bunch of other balance issues and makes smaller characters nearly impossible to hit and if you really go all out on infinite acceleration movement you turn the 1v1 movement meta into an ad strafing shitshow. That said, fps tend to range all over the place with how much player inertia there is and most games seem to default to low inertia, but moderate acceleration both because low inertia feels responsive, but moderate acceleration makes you not impossible to hit, and it gives the animations some coherence and should also simplify netcode/hitreg/interpolation stuff, too.

IMO diablo 3 has a similar situation to OW: they got the engine feeling amazing and then... just stopped making content for it. D3 is a shitshow of a game, but man they got their engine feeling smooth.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 19, 2022

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Blizzard makes the best bad games

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wheeee posted:

and trying to make it into some hosed up MMO DOTA hybrid thing

Lmao, what? What exactly makes it an MMO hybrid of all things? The DOTA part is also wrong, but calling OW an MMO has to be the weirdest opinion I've read about the game.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Lmao, what? What exactly makes it an MMO hybrid of all things? The DOTA part is also wrong, but calling OW an MMO has to be the weirdest opinion I've read about the game.

It was originally designed to be a superhero MMORPGFPS, OW was ultimately split off of that project after it was cancelled hence all the MMO stuff in the game and the engine, plus the OW project was still headed by people with mmorpg backgrounds.

KNR
May 3, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah you do zero inertia+instant acceleration because it feels really good, it's a huge part of what makes the better feeling mmos have the good feeling movement that they do. It's 100% an mmo thing. You don't do it in FPS because it amplifies a bunch of other balance issues and makes smaller characters nearly impossible to hit and if you really go all out on infinite acceleration movement you turn the 1v1 movement meta into an ad strafing shitshow. That said, fps tend to range all over the place with how much player inertia there is and most games seem to default to low inertia, but moderate acceleration both because low inertia feels responsive, but moderate acceleration makes you not impossible to hit, and it gives the animations some coherence and should also simplify netcode/hitreg/interpolation stuff, too.
This is a big part of the inconsistent goals/audience of OW. 1v1 strafing+headshots+tracking weapons make playing many characters at a high level, including their mascot Tracer, much more difficult than drat near any shooter out there. And yet the game still manages to have a reputation as the casual shooter.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

a consequence of the zero-inertia movement is that they had to make the hitboxes gigantic and invisible to compensate for how difficult it is to aim at ad strafing lol

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
you all got any overwatch 2? i got the itch rul bad.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The beta kind of ruined the game for me. I was happily playing ow1 with no real gripes and now I fire it up and am not really enjoying it. I miss push, I miss the self heal on support, I miss the absolutely bonkers mercy super jump change .

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I still find myself trying to ping enemies

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Time Crisis Actor posted:

I still find myself trying to ping enemies

Haaard saaaaaame.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Thats awesome that like zero of the quality of life changes are going to make it into the OW1 client. Gotta wait 2 more years before you can ping stuff again.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
ow1? what the hell is overwatch 1

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

a miserable little pile of shield barriers

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It is not nearly as much fun to play, yes. OW2 beta has spoiled me.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Eat it shield nerds. Your barrier indeed sucks.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

still had to bully and shame some nerds into swapping off rein/sigma in ow2

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cosmicjim posted:

Eat it shield nerds. Your barrier indeed sucks.

barrier hell I hardly knew 'er

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Wheeee posted:

still had to bully and shame some nerds into swapping off rein/sigma in ow2

Sigma in OW2 seems like a joke. Everything is so dive-y that he just can't keep up with anything.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

it’s a matter of principle

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
if they give me a character that lets me swing a big hammer around that doesn't have a shield I'll be happy to play it. Do NOT tell me to play torb. You can say "its not the size its what you do with it" as many times as you want. His technique is garbage!!!

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

kedo posted:

Sigma in OW2 seems like a joke. Everything is so dive-y that he just can't keep up with anything.

Just take his tissue paper barrier and give him flight back again you cowards!

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

kedo posted:

good. I absolutely hate his skillset lmao.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Sigma is just a long line of additions to the game where they go "I should make a character that can kinda do things outside of my role" and then just does it better than the other role.

Release Sigma with an uninterruptable non-reactable ult who could block literally everything with his kinetic grasp in addition to his barrier while also chunking down dps around corners. Like holy poo poo, lol. I remember the designer for that character being so proud and all I could think of was "this is like if you let an ideas guy get away with making a character".

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 30, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sigma in OW1 is in a pretty good state, his barrier is pretty fragile so you've got to manage it (and get punished for the cooldown), kinetic grasp is good, rock is also good but has a huge windup and is pretty easily dodged. I never got into the OW2 beta but it sounded like Orisa did everything but the shield better, especially with her javelins.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I thought Sigma overall was cool character design. Damage,barrier health, cooldowns can be adjusted for balance. It just highlights how boring rein/orisa make the game.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, specifically release sigma was the problem, although he remained a super strong pick in even OW right now.

I think Rein was fun, you actually had to engage with other players and he absolutely favours aggressiveness, Orisa was a snoozefest but i'm super glad they noticed she had 24 damage headshots on release and nerfed it.

Monkey is fun. I haven't watched OWL but I assume in OW2 he's actually dece? I remember a bunch of people saying he was trash but his burst is silly good now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

sigma’s character design looks like poo poo and his voice lines all suck

D-tier hero