Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ddraig & Brannock in the Last Thread posted:

Words of Wisdom:

* McCree's flashbang has a 10 second cooldown.
* Fan the Hammer is a terrible way to kill people. Don't rely on it.
* There are numerous ways for Hanzo to know where your team is:

1. Sonic Arrow
2. Hit markers on his team mates.
3. The objective moving/being contests (like that would ever happen)

When he fires his stupidly loud, incredibly telegraphed ultimate it's going to be at your team. If you die to it, you're bad, he doesn't need to be nerfed.

* Neither does Bastion.
* Winston counters Genji, Tracer and Widowmaker. All have a hard time getting away from him, are squishy, and none of their defences work against him.
* Switch loving characters if you're getting wrecked.
* If you hear French, the enemy can see you.
* Don't Gaze into the Iris, you can't do poo poo against it, regroup and wait for it to end before pushing.
* The Payload doesn't stop moving unless you stand next to it.
* The Payload doesn't move unless you stand next to it.
* Points don't get captured unless you stand in them
* Stand on the loving objective.

I work until 9 PM tonight, but luckily because overwatch doesn't have an archaic leveling system and as a result i won't be over run by my 5 hour lag into the game!

I'll have to settle for everyone having doper tags than me... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Been running Genji super effectively, i'm only lvl 11 but I feel like I can carry in heavy fights. My favorite thing to do is flanking Widowmaker & Hanzo and then murdering them with their own poo poo. Wall climbing, dashing and double jumping let you move in and out of the fight effortlessly and you can go from the wrong end of a Widow's scope to right up her butt in no time flat. I have also successfully dbl-jump dashed up to a Pharah and the E-flected her entire ult to her face.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just got a funny PotG as Tjorbjorn. I basically set up my turret on a chokepoint in Anubis, then when the whole enemy team ran past, I popped my Q and sat right behind a pillar just wailing on my turret with my hammer. Apparently when you are in molten Core, you repair for several hundred HP per swing, and I netted a loving teamkill as they all tried to be the one to finish off the turret. it was over in a flash, but kind of exhilarating watching my turret go from 800 -> 350 -> 680 -> 120 = team is dead.

I have the video on my highlight reel but it's literally just me hammering a turret that is aimed offscreen and 5 red names popping up.

EDIT: i think it's kinda neat how Hanzo and Torbjorn, clearly both cyborgs, are the ones who come off as the most xenophobic towards the robot people. Like, how do you not understand that is exactly how people made of 100% flesh think of you? its fitting in how nonsensical it is.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 27, 2016

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As someone who often brings Genji out to play, watching (bad) McRee fan themselves is awesome, but ALL McCree can become bad with enough pressure and juking. If you can juke the flash bang a lot of them auto-mash fan and then you just murder them by aiming correctly. Jump into shift strike is usually enough to get outta bang range

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you dont understand flanking, crouching, and using cover, alleys and obstacles tactically to avoid feeding Widowmaker or Hanzo, play the maps as them and get a feel for their positioning. This will A] give you s better understanding of how to stay in cover & B] Help you get the drop on snipers. Before or during a big push, check your favorite perches and theres a good chance you can get the drop on a sniper all scoped in, as long as you dont trigger a snare.

TLDR: You are getting your head blown off because you are sticking your head out of cover, not because a 14 yr old no scope god has hacked ur dudes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A widow is literally only as good as the number of people on the other team that know how to play against her. This may or not be true for most of the cast, but know how to flank her, how to bait her, how to countersnipe her... this is something everyone on the team needs to be doing to be an effective counter instead of a walking target.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What is "on Fire" and how do i do it?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Millennial Sexlord posted:

It's pretty frustrating playing a flanker, and getting Gold medals in objective time, objective kills, and eliminations (8 seconds, 4 kills, 12 eliminations respectively) and losing. It's even more frustrating when it happens 6 times in a row.

If this were me, i'd stop playing a flanker and transition to the dude i think will help win me the match, not get me the highest score.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
yeah, i dig, Im not busting your balls. My games since launch are basically I go Genji if we're on attack, or Widow/Tor on defense depending on map, and then in a lot of games people start trying to out fox my sneaky dudes because im racking up the kills, but by then its usually objective crunch time, and I swap into Winston to just keep my team where they need to be.

I want to learn another Area Denial hero, and even I kinda don't like Junkrat's design, he seems like my next dude to learn.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

My friend and I found we can combine our sprays for a devastating combo:

This is fucken bad rear end

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm 90% certain i've hooked myself out of the well in ilios before after getting knocked in by a pharah's concussion grenade. I hooked myself up to the same pharah, killed her in the sky, and landed on the enemy team's mei wall, where healed to full.

I have played ZERO games as McRee or Mercy, those characters seem incredibly boring to me, and DVa seems hard to play compared to the other tanks, everyone else has clicked for me (except Hanzo, i'm just super duper bad at hanzo, or indeed any archery based character in any game ever, except for the legend of Zelda).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I went 5/5 wins/losses and got parked at Rank 54. I played some good games but the games I lost were total and complete steamrolls.

This game is very fun but when your opponents have teamwork and you don't its... Still not as bad as LOL or DOTA but annoying none the less

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Today I sat down to play a Comp round! We get Defend: Dorado, a map I know well! I pick Bastion, I'm good at Bastion, I have a skin, it's a defense map... Slam dunk right? (We had Rein, Symettra, Lucio, Torb and Dva)...

So I get Merced in the backfield by tracer and my team throws as hot fit, losing the match while typing. For round 2, we get Attack and I pick Genji... And everyone on my team tells me to stop trolling, then drops from the game.

I just got a loss for a 1v6 and I seriously cannot figure out what I did, I've been playing since open beta, I get the game, I do cool stuff and follow teamwork... My only conclusion is my relatively low player level just gives jerks something to snip about, because I honestly couldn't think of another reason

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Mei's ice block wasn't factored in to the changes to ult charges, so her block also super boosts her ult charge now on the PTR...

Can't be going live but that's kinda super funny.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Draxamus posted:

Does this game just feel sorry for you after a while and gift you a play of the game? I've had lots of moments where I killed a bunch of guys and helped secure a point to win and I felt like THIS IS IT GONNA GET IT. But nope, I get it on a losing team with two kills that had no impact and had me missing most of my shots.

This means that you were playing with 9 other pretty bad players.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Tatsuta Age posted:

anybody wanna blast through these HOTS games to get the genji skin? I'm bored enough home from work today to consider this a Decent Use of Time

jski#1366

I pugged all 30 games in 3 easy sittings.

~Set game to VS AI (Beginner)
~Post LFG Genji Rush
~Friend everyone who joins your group
~Push Mid hard (or bot if there is no mid)
~gently caress the Ravenlord's Towers

The skin is super dope but good lord it sucks to play Genji now. He was my 'main' when i started but after getting good at so many heroes his kit just feels like... Super janky? Anyone else feels that way? Like, i just feel like I could be Pharah and like flying and blowing poo poo up and nt just slinking around throwing little stars and waiting to get murdered during my ult. (As Pharah obviously this last point also remains true)

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 22, 2016

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think Tranquility allowing Zenyatta to cap things is one of the reasons that ult is good.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
At my SR (currently 1,000-1,100), I can safely say that it is Torb, Symmetra, Rein and Roadhog that are carrying me out, but Lucio feels like I actually make my team play better, because their dumb moves don't kill them instantly cuz I'm healing them and boopin' there enemies away from EZ kills

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You can see performance for teammates on other games and it is exclusively used for trash talk. You can tell who the weak link in your teams is usually by simply observing the game state, I doubt you would ever check numbers at your respawn screen and go "Oh, wow, that Mei actually has a lot of kills, blocked a lot of damage, hmmm, it's actually this Lucio with no healing that's dragging down the team, I was totally mistaken!" and EVEN IF YOU DID, the bad player is still in your game and knowing that they are lovely isn't going to help you any (if at all).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Climbed from 640 to to SILVER! Holy gently caress, d.VA and Pharah really feel like hard carries sometimes. I cannot tell you the number of games where I'd be struggling as Ana/Lucio/Rein and I'd just say "FUGGIT" and then wipe their team with my Rocket spam skills ironed from years of Quake/Unreal

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As someone who plays a ton of Pharah, I like my chances vs. any other Pharah at my ELO. Pharah v. Pharah dog fights are definitely a highlight of this game for me, and MLG moments are born from blasting her pet Mercy away before melee'ing the other Pharah out of the sky!

2nd favorite style of frag is finding anyone else on my team in a 1v1 as Lucio and casually boomping their opponent off the map. gently caress your epic genji v. Soldier duel, we gotta payload to move dude!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only necessary Winston buff is make his leap work like Genji and Hanzo so he can scramble up ledges instead just grazing the lip of a platform and falling down to Earth. He is literally an animal that comes from the jungle, why can't he just climb that last inch? It makes zero sense from any perspective and wouldn't buff him in combat, it just makes him slightly scarier for snipers maybe...

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 14, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don't think it's hard to read the situation.

"Is my team working together? Are my healers on top of it? Does the enemy team not appears to coordinate?"
Drop the generator, GG EZ

"Are we getting picked by snipers and dives? Do they have multiple ults up and it's time for a big push? Is the runback Anubis levels of bad?"
No shame in a teleporter for the homies

My number 1 beef with Syms in Bronze/Silver is bad ult placement. No cover, totally visible from many angles, instantly popped. Also SPREAD YOUR TURRETS. If a single Pharah/Helix missle/junkrat bomb can blow up your whole nest than you hosed up.

I use Sym on defense for Hanamura and Anubis with very high, 3xgold success but my favorite map for her is actually Illios: Ruins

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sneaking around to the back line and gobbling up their Ana to charge it up and then just 2-4 capping them before getting murdered might be bad strategy but it really makes you feel like a hardcore badass

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I thought of elo hell as more like if you are just slightly better than your SR and the collective dead weight of Genji/Hanzo slams would work like quicksand.

And as bad as some people in this game can be, the OW fan base is kittens compared to the LoL/Dota communities. Toxic isn't even the word, those people are mean and salty on a nuclear level.

Also muting annoying voices/little kids/angry OW bros is effortless

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Slime posted:

Her survivability is honestly probably worse than than before they buffed her health too.

Can someone explain how this is possible? Is it because the heroes that were strong against her have since been buffed?

I am a mid-tier silver player but when I fought D.Va last night, I'd bait out their defense matrix and land my helix missile and then my clip would finish them off and id reload while she pops out of mech. I don't think i could land a clip full of headshots on her yet, i def need my missile to get her.

Roadhog legitimately feels like a huge buff to me, since I didn't miss a single combo while playing post patch.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Once as Lucio I killed both a Zarya and a Tracer with the same punch and that was basically the highlight of my OW year.

I'm an art teacher and a lot of my students play on PS4. Today in class I overheard them teasing each other and after one of the louder meaner kids tried to start something, one of the quieter boys said "boy shut up with that, who cuts your hair, Genji?" and I had to step outside to mask my literal tears of hilarity. His haircut is very much a wreck and no one felt they could top that line so class settled down once I stopped giggling.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

...you unlock the greatest Winston skin and you can't wait to spend the extra 200 coins you just got back from that trash Mei duplicate on the Peanut Butter emote for him?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly It's not surprising.

Like looking at a picture of TF2's cast , them all being dudes is such a glaring limitation on character design, and you can kind of tell that they were designed in a vacuum, like I wouldn't be surprised if the idea to make someone a woman even ever came up.

Actually now I think I sort of remember reading that the medic was supposed to be a girl and then in testing nobody picked her until they changed her model but left her mechanically alone.

Meanwhile, Overwatch has easily the most diverse cast in gaming (outside of a fighting game franchise like Neo-Geo or something) and I always kind of smile when I see my team and it's like d.Va/Mercy/Ana/Tracer/Zarya/Pharah. Girl Power!

Also TF2 is like super muddy & brown, the first thing every single person who see Overwatch says is "Wow this game is so bright & colorful".

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Looking forward to Doomfist having a gapcloser and some kind of Reinhardt style slam on a 13 second cooldown. I hope he's a tank.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I cannot find joy in anything but comp. every arcade mode seems super blatantly imbalanced and I've never found any form of CTF fun unless it's "first to 1-reset".

I could see the value in warming up in a game of quick play but every time I do it feels like a different, less fun game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Symmetra, Reaper, Junkrat and kinda Mei don't really have a way to escape you or fight you favorably, punish them for that

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We need like 3-5 more Omnic characters for their to be literally any sense of narrative. Bastion's intro movie is pretty awesome, but I never once for a moment thought an army of Bastion's could take on anyone with even a hint of strategic background.

In universe, it makes sense storyline wise for the Bastion we all know (& LOVE!) to be not only different, but stronger, so from now on I'll RP that the buffs he gets in the next patch are mods that Winston built for him.

I want a robot tank who fires missiles like Pharah, and his main source of tanking damage for his team is that he starts with like 300 Armor and every time he takes damage he sheds armor like Torbjorn packs.

I also want an omnic attacker who can fly like Pharah but with a helicopter/gyroscope controls instead of just jump jets. Their ult is the Independence Day laser.

In general I think if the game had even one more highly vertical character like Pharah or Widow or Hanzo then maybe the overwhelming majority of the population wouldn't be so hard pressed to look up when wading into combat.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Then what are Zenyatta & Mandata? Are they from a post-omnic crisis.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well what are the chances they overtune Bastion so the new tank is DOA no matter what?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
ok, so It seems like Doomfist will be able to probably knockpeople back, like the impact of RH's ult but probably on a cd similar to Reinhardts, and then probably some kind of melee gap closer. The knockback will serve as his disengage... but I'm thinking more and more that doomfist won't be a tank, but a melee brawler.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
*posts video depicting a team running directly into Bastion, via the single tightest bottleneck in the game, while fully supported by Mercy & Sym (+Sym Ult)

"Bastion looking OP"

I'll admit the tracking footage at the end where he was dunking on Lucio seemed off, but everything else seemed normal/intended to me

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Minrad posted:

maybe a grenade that does instant healing and also damage and also buffs healing and also debuffs enemy healing

LoL every time I see it written out like that I just shake my head and try to think of a single other ability in the game this good...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The best tank in any game is Alistair from LoL (played LoL for years, MOBA are cancer). He has strong initiation, disruption, and sustain and built right was mobile enough to get where he needed to be.

Tanking in MMO is aggro based, tanking in other games, like this one, is about balancing initiation with damage absorption and enemy disruption so that your team can do their jobs unhindered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Main Paineframe posted:

The only buff Reaper needs right now is for the tank meta (i.e., Ana) to be toned down a bit

Actually Shadow Step super sucks and Reaper is niche character kind of defined poorly ATM and several characters in the game fill the same niche while also providing team utility. Honestly, the goon who suggest Wraith Form start working more like d.Va's boost had a great idea there, because at it is, he has a "Short-Range Escape" and a "Long-Range Infiltration" except that you basically have a flashing siren and noisemaker while you take 2 seconds to materialize. Obviously he's super dependent on positioning but frankly the game right now is just too fast paced for Shadowsteps load time to be fair. If you could just boost up to the Hanamura or Volskaya window in Wraith Form, they could replace Shadow Step with like "Press E to temporarily gain a damage boost vs. Armor" (even as I typed that it feels kinda vanilla, like Symmetra's old 'E'), but yeah, I love Reaper and think he's kinda fun but I just never think he's worth it anymore when I can just play S76. If he's supposed to be a Tank Buster, he needs a tool that let's him engage tanks favorably, and right now he just doesn't have one, because his M1 is like the only part of his kit that really does that.