Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
At the very least, Blizzard could allow us to make changes to the hud - like having two tiny coloured dots near your crosshair that change colour when your cooldowns are up - or allow us to change the sound effects of cooldowns to our own.

Or at the very least, but a black outline around the cooldown ui and your healthbar hud. Glancing at a white healthbar when I am near a white floor is not helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

maybe it will be a left 4 dead mode, in tradition with stealing valves fps ideas

I will spam the new emote "PILLS HERE!" until I get booted.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Custom sprays also have the power to bring us all together...

Once in TF2, while on the point (foundry), I heard...

"Oh god... dude... you got to see this spray"
"What, what is it."
"I... I can't explain, I... dude."
(laughs) "Just tell me what it is"
"You... you gottaa come see this, it's to the left of the spawn."

Curriosity got the better of me, so I went back. There was about 6 other players, all staring at a spray of a man biting off another man's penis, chomping it down, wiping the blood away and repeat.

We probably all stood there transfixed for 5 mins.
Out of all the tf2 games I ever played, that one was the most memorable.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Speaking of Melee, is Torbjorn's melee range on his upgrade hammer broken? Unlike standard melee ranges, it feels like I have to be physically touching my opponent to do some damage.

A shame, as I quite enjoy popping molten core, and playing this song in my microphone feed:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uOYLNSmrODw

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Is doomfist really vulnerable to torbjorn's shotgun blast? I was playing as torb against a bunch of doomfists yesterday, and it seemed that any doomfists that took even a small amount of damage I could one-shot them with a good short-range M2.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Is there really anything one can do as zenyatta, aside from popping your ult, when doomfist decides "Hey Zen, I'm gonna ult, time for you to die!!"

So far the best I can hope for is a friendly Zarya being super-on-the-ball, but that's about it.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Is fist damage capped at 100 though? I've had a few occasions as Mei popping out of cryostasis with full health, to be 1-shotted by a charging doomfist in an open area. I always thought that 'fully charged fist' was instant death to whatever character.

. . .

Speaking of which, I was playing as Zen on Lijiang Garden - we had control of the point and the other team was doing a push. Their doomfist ulted and I could tell he was gunning for me (his circle kept following my movements) so right before he slammed into me for the instant kill I popped tanscendance. We decmated him and a pharah that had poked through one of the windows, but right after their zarya gravved when it ended, and sure enough 4 of us got stuck together, followed by a hanzo ult, which took us all out.

Going over the replay I was wondering what I could have done better... obviously saving transcendance for the grav+hanzo combo would have been the better choice - but there is no escaping an ulting doomfist as zen if he decided "this guy is going to die". We had no zarya, I was the only healer, we had a dva, reaper, hanzo, pharah and a doomfist of our own.

I chalked it up to better ult economy management in the future, but darn if it isn't hard as zen to escape and ulting doomfist if they decide they want you dead there and now...

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
One of the things I kinda miss about old Bastion's damage and headshot capability, was that you could use bastion's volley to sort of 'deny' the enemy team access to a certain choke - or try running through your volley and suffer the occasional multi-headshot-dead event.

IE: Prior to his rework, on Anubis point B defence I'd spam the entrance to the little sideroom / flank, when I'd suspect the other team was trying a flank. Was really neat when the other team had to make the decision of "Fudge, do I run into the little room knowing full well there's a billion bullets flying at me, or do we retreat and try another route?"

Suppression fire, in a nutshell.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
We had one match in mystery heroes where, kid you not - we had one lucio, one Mercy, and the rest of us were all Mei's... On King's row defense.

Needless to say, at one point, the enemy team wasn't even able to get out of their spawn room.

The other team seriously questioned what pact we made with the devil to get that result.

Guigui fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 10, 2017

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
A fun thing to do -as the Yeti, I try to suicide before any of the Mei's can make it to the cave area - and then see how the game figures out which Mei gets the play of the game.

Lots of confusion from the Mei's, but it's the quickest lootbox they've ever won.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

The only time I suicided I just got teleported back to the cave.

You have to do it 4 timesn and you have a very short window to time your boost cooldown; otherwise if you take too long, one of the Mei's will see youu make your final jump.

It's more fun when they're marching towards the cave, they see "The yeti has returned to the cave", then "NO!! No I shall not be bound by my shackles!! I SHALL BE FREEEEEEEEE!" in text, and then "VICTORY".

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
I wonder if people what would happen, if instead of hanzo being able to select the arrow type as it is drawn in the bow- it had to be selected prior to being drawn...

This could remove some of the frustration for scatter arrow, as nothing seems a little less than irritating when playing as tracer, I'm flanking the back line, I spot a hanzo with arrow drawn, and he whips around, scatter arrows the ground, defeating me...

With having to select prior to having the bow drawn, would mean that - if the player was ready to fire at long distance, they would have to release the current arrow they have drawn, select a scatter arrow, and then fire that one - giving the flanker characters a bit more play involver rather than hoping for less than a one-hit kill...

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
... Playing as the Yeti in yeti hunter, throwing myself repeatedly off the cliff because "THE CAVE... THE CAVE IS CURSED!!!" - egging on the other MEI's that I can "ESCAPE THIS CURSE BEFORE YOU ALL!!!!"....

4 games later of me jumping off the edge - all the Mei's start jumping off the ledge, giving me the win.

The next 20 games was a race to see whom could throw themselves off the cliff and lose the game faster.

Queue in the random Mei that wasn't in on it, with a giant "WTF" look on their face when everyone (mei's and yeti's) are shouting "WE MUST LIFT THE CURSE" and throwing themselves off cliffs.

I think that was the most fun I've had in Overwatch in ages. It would have continued had we not gotten a server crash error.

gee, I wonder why...

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Speaking of the best potg's to watch... There was one where torbjorn was hammering away while in molten core mode on a turret, except that turret was an enemy bastion...

There was another, where it was a torbjorn player standing behind a widowmaker teammate admiring her 'assets', then being caught in the act when it became a potg...

My youtube-fu isn't great right now but I know they exist!!

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
I seem to recall reading a long time ago that mei's M2 icicle shot added a slow/freezing effect the farther it travelled. It probably was on a third party site, but that would be an interesting trade off.

O O O

As someone who used to play a druid in world of warcraft back in its heyday, being stunlocked from 100 percent to 0 percent health was pretty unfun. When I moved onto TF2 I really appreciated the change to the scout's baseball, making it from a 1 hit stun (no movement) to a no-gun use (but you could still move). Abilities that take away complete control of their character - to me - isn't fun. As someone who has over twice their total playtime as mei than the runner up, I would gladly trade the ability to completely freeze someone in place with, say, a much more prolonged slow and half-firing rate. This way, as someone who is getting frozen, you still have the ability to retaliate, yet you are at a disadvantage to that.

... (Same goes for mccree's flashbang, ana's sleep dart, etc...)

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Mei, back in season 1, 2's heyday, was an absolute beast in scrub tier... Back then your ultimate recharged 50 percent faster, AND mei's ult recharge time was an additional 15 percent faster. That meant, if you could secure kills with blizzard, you would almost have another one ready to go.

Combine this with the fact that at lower levels, people trickle in - and it was cakewalk to isolate, say, a mercy with her hanzo teammate with ice wall, 'process' the mercy, iceblock when hanzo would turn to do a scatter, pop out, process the hanzo, then chuck blizard at the other 2 players trickling in, headshot them, icewall.... well, you get the idea.

Problem is, all that stops working with coordinated teams, and with all the changes since, Mei does not hold up well. Hence why I picked up Zenyatta and haven't looked back since...

A shamea, really. I do miss those "FFFFUUUUUUUCCCCC Yyoooouuuu mmmeeeeiiii" and other lively commentary from the other team.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Also, to the player looking to pick up Mei as their first character in quickplay... She is one of the few characters on the lineup that can cause real grief to both enemy, and allied team members. You know, like a little 'time out' in spawn until they cool off.

Mei is a lot more powerful in lower tiers, where people trickle in and have low spacial awareness and aim. It is easy to ice wall a 2 versus you situation into a one versus one in your favour, then an additional 1 versus 1 when the ice wall breaks.

Just don't expect that to work in coordinated teams, where teams will travel in groups and focus-fire you down...

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

Well i had someone look at my gameplay over 2-3 matches qp and they say i play around gold level - which is what oversumo said, so why do i keep losing my placement matches with complete cakewalks for the other side? last season i never finished my placements after 5 losses due to players leaving, and the season before i ended at 1433 started last season at 432

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6y4dl_KbdE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szMZw9MJItQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn9QpO9E5rI

As someone who plays Zen 2nd to Mei, I can give a few suggestions:...

- at 1:28, you have high ground, and okay sightlines to your team to provide them a healing orb + damage orb for peekers. (That bastion was badly out of position btw). Unfortunately, you jumped down to take out a few stragglers and gave up your height advantage. You weren't immediately punished, but know that at higher levels of play you will get jumped on *so* fast you'll barely have time to react. By contesting high ground, you're forcing the other team to fight you at your terms, which means they'll have to snipe / winston you at the very least.

- at 2:14 - I could hear a reaper in my headphones to your right; which probably meant he was futzing about in the small room; I was surprised you didn't check it out (was he fighting that torb?).

- 2:21 => Toss a healing orb on that Genji; sometimes when you see teammates in 1v1 situations, them having a healing orb, and their target having a damage orb significantly turns the tide in their favour - and it allows you to focus your efforts elsewhere.

- 2:47 => There's a reaper that went past you on the left... You kinda ignored him, and... well - reaper really excells at getting up close and personal.

- 3:18 => Avoid playing pointman as Zenyatta. He has horrible movement and no escape / get out of jail free cards. Here, I would have 'played around the truck' - use the truck as cover to orb the Mei, discord her target, and charge your shots before peeking out. Also, since discord gives you a bit of a wallhack, you can use that as well to charge shots, aim for your discorded target, pop out from behind the truck and send a charged volley at your target.

- 3:37 => Really practice using your healing orb; it takes just half a second, but the heal-per-second it could have done for your Mei teammate would have helped.

- 4:01 => Try to avoid using trans to save yourself from a bad situation. Sometimes it is better to die with ult then to use it just to save yourself... You'll want to have it saved up in higher levels of play once you hear angry Russian lady shouting, or Ninja sword dude shouting.

- 4:26 => Nice headshot on the ulting reaper

- 4:57 => You'll learn to hate Junkrat's tire. You have to time your charged shots when you hear the tire coming for you, and you have to be sure not to miss a single one.

- 5:57 => Right about here, I was thinking "CRAP, get out of turret mode NOW!!"

(As someone who loves playing Bastion) - Bastion is a hard character to master because you almost have to have a sixth sense of when to deploy into turret, and when to get the heck outta dodge. Bastion is a murder machine when people leave him alone and is supported by his teammates - but he is so *easily* focus-fired.

You almost have to play him like a gimped soldier while in recon mode, and get that sense of "okay, the other team is focusing on other stuff - time to deploy NOW".

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
I wonder if symm's new barrier could be tucked away into a corner...

I am thinking of, say, a bastion in the corner on defence in Hanamura B, covered by a 5000 hp barrier, and then an Orisa in front of that, tossing her barrier in front, allowing the Orisa to duck behind the 5000 hp barrier to allow hers to recharge, all the while you have bastion just pooping out damage in the meanwhile nonstop...

... unless there is a limited duration to her barrier ult?

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Maybe they will let Anna hipshots go through barriers, but not scoped shots...

If not, then perhaps they will make it so Genji cannot dash through barriers...

(like in the Dune universe)

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Though I'm still a bad, I managed to pull off an awesome Route 66 attack game with Bastion (and Reinhard) recently. Turret form killed off the enemy defences around the spawn, leaving behind a Dva and Moira. I then hopped atop the payload, and sailed it right pass. Never did kill off Moira or Dva pilot, but it still felt advantageous because they were split off and kept at a safe distance.

Strangely enough - I've also had luck with Bastion so far... (Especially so when paired with an Orisa). So far I've only lost 1 matchup against an enemy Brigitte, and that was because I was a bit careless in Recon mode shooting at a flying pharah when she stunned me.

(Blizzard needs to do something for Bastion to help raise his skill ceiling though - Headshotting while in turret form to reward better aim, or less spread while in recon form would certainly help).

It's a team game, and not a 1v1 situation - so all team matchups count... but I'd say that Bastion is one of the few characters that counter her on a "okay" basis..

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
I wonder if Blizzard thought of the idea of a Mercy or, say, Anna skin showing that they had a mastectomy.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
I think the other thing that makes mystery heroes a bit more of a chill atmosphere is the fact that you can blame a loss on the sheer randomness of the character picks. Often when playing with friends in mystery hereos, I can understand why one, who is a winston and mercy main, can't hit the backside of a barn when they are given widowmaker. If you get frustrated that you goofed up, well it could be because the character you are playing isn't your forte. Plus, sometimes the other team just gets an awesome team comp you just cannot do much against - so rather than get angry at their teammates, the team will blame the RNG, and to me, that takes out a bit of stress. No use yelling "we need a mercy NOW! Switch Zarya!" if that is beyond your control.

Plus sometimes the rng gods give you really weird comps that the meta would have no idea how to counter.. We once were 4 meis, a lucio and a mercy on nepal temple... So we just constantly walled ourslves into a corner on the point until the other team gave up in frustration.

Guigui fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 29, 2018

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

having the reticle change when someone is in range is a neat idea

This is a good idea.

Also good - allow us to add a border or black backround to HUD elements, so that I can see my cooldowns when I am walking on a white floor.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Recently I've been playing a bit of a modified hammond game, where I stay in ball form during a payload defence game, and slowly roll behind the enemy lines and park myself behind the payload. It usually results in the enemy team fighting for a good minute or two on the payload, without realising there's this giant ball behind it. When discovered, I roll away... nab a few healthpacks, and return - much to the chagrin on the rest of the team, as they keep having to turn and pay attention behind them (including the reinhart). I've had some hilarious chases when one enemy team member snaps and starts to chase me all over the map, when I loose them, and park myself back on the payload.

It is hit and miss. Some people on the enemy team find it hilarious - other times I am questioned on my sexual orientation and/or sexual habits by the younger crowd. I stick to quickplay solo queue for this reason, and on a fun team collect up to 3 endorsements a game...

Unfortunately, it can really piss some people off,

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
By that measure (percentage of body fat = more hitpoints) how many hitpoints would tracer have I'd she were morbidly obese?

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Well, I am a bit disappointed that MeI Cannot extinguish burning enemies from Ashe's dynamite or Torbjorn sticky loads.

Especially when she is wearing the firefighting skin...

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Would that mean that a mercy pocketing a reaper would be bettwr off applying a damage boost to heal the reaper as opposed to using the healing beam?

(factoring in 100% accuracy on the part of the reaper...)

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
As a Mei main, I wonder how the armour changes will impact the slight damage she does with her freeze blaster against armoured opponents.

Also...
why can't I extinguish friendly teammates on fire from Ashe's dynamite? I am even wearing her legendary firefighter suit and all I can do is giggle and laugh as I watch my allies BURN...

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Sometimes I miss playing as 'support torb' and his armor packs. I wonder what the game would look like now with role queue if you ciuld pick Old Torb as a support...

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
If Blizzard came out with a paid dlc that allowed me to view my opponents in their default skins, with bright red emblage, none of the silhouette, and allowed me to tune the colour saturation of the world map down to a more greyish look, (to increase contrast), I would grab it in a heartbeat...

But then, I would just be making the game more like team fortress 2....

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

You don't want silhouettes? Even TF2 had them as a crucial visual differentiator

The Silhouettes are good, I think I should have meant "outline". I often find I get confused during a fight in a dark alley or area, where with all the particle effects, lighting, custom skin colour can be visually distracting and make it hard to figure out if I am aiming "in" an outline in a close-quarter combat, or outside of it.

Guigui fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 26, 2019

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Rolo posted:

I had one talk mad poo poo to me yesterday because I wouldn’t abandon the team on the payload to go heal her halfway across the map.

I wonder if the thread consensus would be different if widow was more like the sniper from tf2 - much lower mobility, counterable by running spy or scout, and most importantly - telegraphed where they were looking via a red dot that you could see on the wall before turning the corner.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
I am surprised that the 2nd of the 2 support slots cannot flex between support and dps. To me, that slot could be used for a self sufficient / healing dps (such as Soldier, Mei, Bastion, old Torb) if the need for concentrated damage is required... The team would be greatly increasing their damage potential, yet need to be keenly aware that they could fold like a deck of cards if their only healer is focused....

... or design more supports like Zenyatta,

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
One of the things I think limits people in learning skills is the lack of being able to play on a team with grandmaster, or higher players - because in doing so, you will learn very quickly that your old habits are bad, and you will need to adopt new ones.

There's an interesting video by Jayne where he is reviewing a platinum Zenyatta. At some point, the Zen comes face to dace with a hanzo. They duke it out for about 6 hanzo shots before the Hanzo is pressured to retreat. Jayne then pointed out, that a grandmaster hanzo would have headshotted the Zen immediately - punishing that Zen for being in a bad position. However, in that skill level, juking it out might work, so the Zen may learn some bad habits, that they then have to relearn when going up to the next level.

... And I think that's a difference between, say, playing TF2 as a Heavy with a master spy on the opposing team Autobalance will scramble te teams randomly, and generally you will have a mix of bad players and really really good ones. You can learn tips and trivks while actively playing with, or against a great player.

Watching the pros play is one thing - being able to play with (or against) is another...

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Add some community dances, like the conga in tf2 - then change ult generation so that it only goes up while you dance - moreso the more people you are dancing with.

...Should make the game interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Dodgeball posted:

• Ve must poosh leetle cart!

• Need a dispenser here!