Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Evil_Greven posted:

Am I the only one who finds Widowmaker more effective in close proximity to your team?

Also, headshotting a hero right as s/he starts to ult is glorious. Try again next time, Pharah!

p.s. throwing mines at Reinhardt clusters as they try to push in is fantastic.

hell, anyone can do that to her. pharah's ult is rough because you jump into the sky, painting this massive target on yourself, with a character that dies in like 2 hits from a bunch of other heroes. you can do a lot with it but the moment someone sees you, you're done

also it's funny to catch reinhardt with the bear trap when he tries to charge you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you gotta gently caress up real hard to die to a lone symmetra as basically anything even if she gets the jump on you

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

In non-Widowmaker conversation, where is Roadhog strong? Of all the tanks he's the only one I don't really see a lot of big advantage to. He soaks a ton of HP and is very durable but he also builds enemy ults like woah and can't really do much in terms of actually drawing fire behind being big and bulky and occasionally hooking someone. For most of the other characters I know where they should come out into play but Roadhog I've never found a situation where he really feels strong.

I don't think roadhog is very good as a tank but he can do some work on the flank. you can oneshot most heroes from full health with your primary so you try and find people by themselves or else distracted by team fights, then pull them to you and knock their head off. he's decent in enclosed spaces as well so I guess you could chill in a room with a symmetra; her turrets will slow people down for you to hook, and failing that you can just shoot them in an area they can't easily run from you. you have enough health to take some hits so you'll win most 1v1s against anything but tanks and trade to reapers

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Everything about this is amazing. loving :lol: at the idea that the Tracer should be allowed to rewind out of Junkrat's trap.

ok but what if tracer could rewind back in to a junkrat trap

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

What's the official PS4 group?

goonerwatch

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nitramster posted:

So I jut got the game and I'm realizing that after over a decade of not playing PC shooters I utterly suck with the mouse and have no more reactions.

Which hero should I work on first till I shake off some rust? I've been using Pharah, D.Va, and Reaper because they seem to require less aiming ability but still so far I'm 1/10. I want to focus on one hero till I at least learn the maps.

lucio because even if you suck and never hit anything, you have a passive buff aura that either heals or speeds up any nearby teammates

support classes are always a good slow start for getting into a shooter imo because they don't need precision aiming to contribute to the team so you still feel like you're doing something

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

In what situation can I pick Zenyatta instead of Lucio and not just do worse most of the time

don't play zenyatta as a healer. discord people at mid range and shoot them. you can kill 200 health heroes in like 2 headshots when they're discorded. discord is really good. if you have to get in close, discord+charge shot will annihilate a lot of heroes easy so long as you aren't standing in front of them, which would be a real bad move. people don't seem to respect zenyatta as a threat so you can chill around some team mates and go largely ignored a lot of the time. I've had gold medal for damage dealt and eliminations a bunch as zenyatta; he's really good

e: like I'm not saying not to give people the harmony orb (you should do that), just that playing him as a dedicated healer doesn't work. you can make your best player absurdly hard to deal with by just leaving harmony with them at all times tho

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 30, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

a) no
b) you don't actually have to go lucio

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

one zenyatta works and is very good depending on your team composition

six zenyattas can only work if the other team is phenomenally bad

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

zenyatta can heal people but it's not his only role like with mercy. he supports other healers really well but he doesn't work as the only one on the team. he deals good damage and can increase the damage other people do while helping your mercy or lucio keep people alive. he's a more generalized support that can rotate roles easily as needed

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I tried asking earlier with no answer, so here goes again

What are the best maps/situations for Reaper? I've finally gotten the white mariachi outfit so it's time to reap, but on every map I have a hard time picking him since I feel like I'd do a better job with other heroes (mostly Junkrat).

Attack? Defense? KotH? Assault? Payload?

flank people and kill winston forever

he's at his best when he's close and personal but he's also slow and has bad range so you want to teleport behind people and attack when they aren't looking. he's good on any map

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

StoicFnord posted:

Holy crap, i seem to be #84 Zarya on PS4 in the world. https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/psn/global/StoicFnord/heroes/5

Ask me anything about the best Support hero.

only ranking by max points earned seems like a weird decision to me

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

stacking your team with 6 of a single hero is gonna get you smashed a lot of the time unless the other team is much worse, at which point it doesn't matter because they were gonna lose anyway

some gimmicks work better than others, sure, but 6 torbjorns in king of the hill is a stupid idea and you're gonna lose. a lot of the time it'll end up like that instead of you winning

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tequila Sunrise posted:

We did 5 Roadhog/1 76 last night and stomped two rounds, then I got thrown out of the group and ended up going against them. Torbjorn turrets wrecked them.

gimmick squads tend to have have pretty harsh counters because heroes all have poo poo they can't deal with well. you're really just hoping the other team both does not have a good counter to your gimmick at the start of the round and then refuses to change to something that negates your bullshit for the rest of it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was convinced that the votes would give you an exp boost if you hit the 5 or 10 vote marks until I actually looked at my exp bonuses today

kind've a bummer but I guess people would just vote for themselves if you got something out of it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this weekly brawl is kinda lame

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Imagined posted:

Nah, we stomped a pre-made all-Soldier team last night with a random assortment of goons last night playing whatever we felt like. My feeling was that Soldier can't do much against Reinhardt -- even his ult doesn't fully kill Rein's shield, and if he tries to flank, Reaper eats him. Maybe if that team had coordinated their ults it would've been different.

soldier doesn't seem very good against winston either. soldier just doesn't do damage fast enough to deal with barriers effectively

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Huxley posted:

That comp has zero way to deal with a Pharah shooting at the tops of their heads.

they do actually: looking up

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

for real tho the reinhardt phalanx squad is poo poo and you're gonna lose if you try it because you're just gonna sit their throwing the fire thing every now and then while the entire other team can just shoot you from a distance

junkrat's ult will kill your whole team because you'll just be sitting their with your shields up and it'll drive right through them and explode. junkrat in general will gently caress you up because he can trap your charge and knock you around with mines that you can't effectively deal with

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

speaking of hanzo and genji, reflecting the scatter shot is hilarious and has netted me double kills a few times during this weekly brawl

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

HardDisk posted:

No, it deals 195 damage (Mercy boosts for 30%). But you can just click again at any charge.

so what you're saying is, get a zenyatta to debuff and a mercy to buff the widowmaker. a perfect plan

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

rank is just your total points earned, yeah? not exactly a great system but it's no worse than the normal leaderboards where the top is always hundreds or even thousands of people who played one game without dying/losing and then quit

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ranking in rocket league is based off of wins, not time played. there's a leveling progression but that's not the same thing

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Yes I'm comparing the leveling of rocket league to Overwatch neither of them are really "rankings" but people call them that. But my point in the first place was that they both indicate time played, so what's the point in correcting me.

the ranking system in overwatch is per class by how many points you have. like you can say it isn't really ranking if you want but that's pedantic. good or bad, that's what it's called so that's what it is. the ranking system in rocket league is separate from the leveling progression; they aren't the same thing so the comparison doesn't work. if you want to call it pedantic then ok but you're not exactly doing anything different here

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

do weekly brawl games not get reflected in your stats? the master overwatch site seems to think I've only played two rounds with him, which would make sense if the weekly brawl stuff wasn't taken into accound

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I know not a lot about overwatch and haven't played a fps since the original team fortress game. Is there a good baby's first offensive player I should be while I figure out the genre? I'll be mostly playing with a group of 5 other pals so I figure they can carry me while I am learning not to be terrible!

soldier 76 is simple and pretty self sufficient. he can heal himself, is the fastest character while sprinting, has a good primary that's not hard to use since it's just an assault rifle, and his grenade launcher is great for burst damage

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Winston owns. Jump on squishies all day. Except for Reaper :(

or mcree, holy poo poo do not jump on a mcree. you can make genjis incredibly sad with winston tho. he's a cool due

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

why do you do this

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

I really really hope they buff Zenyatta's health just a wee bit (or replace his normal health with armour, which would make sense considering he's a bloody robot), because he's just so much loving fun to play with but I every time I see a widow I have to switch out before transcending into salt.

giving his shields a buff to leave him at 175 hp would be fine imo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Xand_Man posted:

If Zenyatta either got a little more health or a different ult he'd be amazing. As it is he's fun but basically Challenge Mode.

his ult makes it really hard to kill your dudes and also you're invincible so it's not that bad. he's not that hard to succeed with

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

matchmaking in this game is just honestly bad and idk why. I almost never see a game where one team doesn't just crushes the other, tho part of that is that defense is better than offense on a lot of maps

CJ posted:

Are there people who actually think skill increases linearly with time played?

it does to a degree because obviously you're gonna get a little better once you know how to play the game. like a max rank dude isn't necessarily gonna be good, but he'll definitely be better than he was at level 1

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 4, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah the more I play this the more I feel like a lot of the maps are just...bad. Matches are usually either a stomp or the offense totally dominates until they reach the last point, at which point the fast respawn of defense completely walls them. The closest matches I've seen have all been in KOTH.

I don't remember disliking Payload in TF2 nearly as much as I do in this game.

a lot of the maps either have like one entrance that the entire enemy team can fire at or else a few really narrow options that one guy alone can completely shut down. it's rough

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Brannock posted:

Only a few of the legendaries are as good as the base skins, and this pattern will in all likelihood continue, because there is a vastly smaller amount of time and effort that goes into a skin compared with what went into designing and refining the original look.

nearly every character has a legendary that looks better than the base imo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just 'cause you're floating don't mean you can't get caught in a bear trap

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the same way you would on the other maps. if you're defending, spam chokepoints leading to the capture zone and set traps. if you're attacking, spam the point because they'll be clustered there. if you're good with the pipes, taking 1v1s is pretty easy on the flank since you can get a direct and then finish people off with the mine

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea the bear trap is actually pretty hard to see when it's not yours

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

Why are all the origin edition skins worse than the original

I like soldier's captain america skin

even his dragonball scouter

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I discovered that if D.Va rams a Reinhardt into a corner and he puts his shield up that there's enough room for D.Va to stick her guns through the shield and kill him. So maybe that would come in handy at some point.

you can just walk up to reinhardt and shoot him through the shields with anyone if you're close enough I think. you're probably gonna eat a hammer if you try tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

use your teleports to confuse people. you have low health so you want to use your slightly better speed and dodges to make tracking you harder

Xaris posted:

I don't know if OW is exactly the same, but in theory that 6-man party should loving suck or your match making mmr is insanely high. In Hots if you end up vs a (mixed or not) party as a small/solo que then its probably calculated that even as a party they must suck and you must be really good And often you do stomp all over them which feelsgood to be a bunch of randos stomping a party. Still does suck to play though

does the overwatch stat tracking site show your mmr anywhere? it'd be nice to know how it's determined so you know why you're getting bad matches