Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I just got this game for ps4, while the beta didn't excite me to much i had alot more fun during the free weekend. I probably will stick to quick play for the most part, as i just want to have fun. I've been using mainly Tracer and D.VA, and it took reading some of this thread to realize D.VA can boost any direction, rather then just across the ground. I also didn't know about rocket jumps and never really used mine jumps. There is also using Mei for mobility rather then just for blocking. I've at first i thought you had to hit people with projectiles to heal them as lucio but you just gotta be close enough. There is just so much to learn about how each character can play, though to be fair i never did the training besides the first one where tracer leads you around. The characters themselves are great too, they all make comments about the maps, and specific comments to each other.

Though playing with pubbies has it downside. Ok, its alright if you want to be the same class, but its annoying seeing pairs of tracers running around together. My PSN name is Jewedbacca if anyone wants to add me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Played a game last night with my whole team being tracers. I saw three tracers already selected and thought 'gently caress it' and chose her too, and so did the other guy on the team. We were about as effective as expected. I'm still locked out of competitive play, but I'll probably stick to quick play anyways. This game is just plain alot of fun. I find I still just use D.Va, Tracer, and Lucio, i'm gonna get better at the other characters eventually.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

How is play of the game even decided? I saw plays with soldier 76 getting one for shooting a few guys when i blew up more with D.Va's ultra. Some of them are lackluster for sure.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Nakar posted:

Score over a period of time, I'm pretty sure. By score I mean Fire generation; a Mercy can be getting +200 Fire in a single action with a Resurrect because it generates a static amount of Fire per resurrection. A multikill ult still takes into account how much damage was already dealt to enemies in assigning Fire to all participants in the Elimination, so if you killed 4 guys with Self-Destruct but they were all at low health you might get ~150 Fire total while S76 gets 2-3 solo kills in quick succession and earns +100 Fire for each and beats you out. Self-Destruct or Death Blossom getting a 3-4 player multikill from full health should be competitive with a Mercy ult in terms of POTG calculation so DVA POTGs tend to be when she launches her mech at freshly-spawned defenders near the end of a payload map.

Knowing this allows you to explain situations where e.g. Zenyatta gets a single kill and doesn't use Transcendence but still gets POTG because he had a Harmony Orb up on a character taking damage you can't see on his screen + he's bouncing Discord Orb between multiple people and getting repeated Assists and thus generating a large amount of Fire. Dead Torbjorn POTGs can be one part turret kills and one part people picking up armor packs (+25 per pickup, so if he has a bunch laid out on the point he could out-generate a Mercy Resurrect if 4-5+ are picked up in short succession).

Thanks for the info! That makes sense now that I think about it, since the situation i was thinking about was launching D.Va into a mob of enemies on top of a point fighting with my team, so they all might have been at partial health. Though if that how it works it makes sense so all characters have a chance for it, but it makes for a less exciting "Play of the game" to actually watch if all the points are going on off screen.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

I just played a couple games when the other team twice used a ulitmate to kill only me, playing lucio. Once junkrats tire ramped over two of my teammates to chase me around a corner to kill me. An other time I rounded a corner to be face to face with a enemy D.Va and pharah. Pharah rocket barraged me point blank on the ground and it was actually D.Va that got the kill, just a little excessive.

And regarding team choice, who cares what people pick as long if its not three freaking hanzos on the other team and two on my team so there were constantly dragons flying all of the place, with that white one throwing me off too.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Kashuno posted:

I mean I care when it's point defense and we have no tanks because that makes it really hard but if both teams are equally bad then sometimes it just works

I suppose its a fair point if everyone is a offense or a sniper, , especially since those kind of people tend to lone wolf it which makes it more annoying to try to group heal people as Lucio. But if there is a empty defense position i probably wouldn't choose it as I am no good with any of them yet.

Efexeye posted:

we're talking about competitive, where what you pick matters a lot

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No, it always matters. It's never completely determinative, but that's a misunderstanding to begin with; it's not completely determinative even at the literal very top. Several teams run odd hero choices because they have someone who's so good with that hero they can't afford to give them up.

People have their preferred characters, I probably do my team more good choosing the same character as someone else if everyone is using one of my main's then sucking with someone else.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

What about a velociraptor like like the one from the old turok games? He can flail his arms around rapidly, or swipe each claw at the same time to do more damage per swipe but slower. Pounce, and for his ultimate he can summon a swarm of those tiny dinosaurs (Compsognathus) that you see overwhelm people in the Jurassic park movies.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Do i have a time limit to try to get a ranking for season 2? I know it must cut off at some point as i couldn't play in any games for season 1 last week. But i might stick with quick play anyways, as you might play matches with two D.Va's, but no one is having a stroke over it.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

RC Cola posted:

Is it mostly pc players on discord?

Last page, but I played with a goonette who asked me if I was using discord because she was on it. I assume that meant she had a laptop beside her ps4 or something?

edit: I am starting to get the annoyance of team choice. a few games in a row I was on a team with freaking four offensive characters chosen. For gently caress sakes people, if you only care about your k/d ratio you aren't playing the game right. I like tracer, but i rarely use her as i usually have to choose tank or healing as everyone wants to a offensive character.

Shnag fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 23, 2016

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Papercut posted:

Are you in quick play or comp? Because at least on PC, QP is a complete joke. I just had a game of King's Row offense where we had 5 DPS/1 tank (including me playing my god awful McCree), and we won. It was so #QuickPlay.

I've been playing quick play, its quickly getting annoying being in a game with no one talking. At least if you are talking with a few people you can arrange so the team is more balanced. What i really like about this game is how you get points for everything you do. You can play mercy and not harm a fly and still be on fire.

RC Cola posted:

What's your PSN? RC_COLA_IN_A_CAN
I'm pretty chill and not the worst player

PSN: Jewedbacca. I'm a pretty chill player, I'm work posting right now, but i'll be on later tonight. I find just having one other person to work with can make a difference. Also stay in game chat, as I find players can be responsive even if they don't have a mic. Like getting a boost from Mai and such.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Ersatz posted:

It also seems to be the go-to argument for D.Va's worthlessness, regardless of how she's actually played: "all she does is shoot Reinhardt's shield!"

Does anyone think D.Va is worthless? She is probably my best character and just all around good. Or is the idea she takes up a tank slot instead of choosing Reinhardt? Also as D.Va you don't shoot his shield, you boost in behind him or shove him around.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

I like Lucio as a healer as he can take care of himself. It sucks being Mercy and having no one to back you up. Zen can take care of himself as well, but I don't think he is all that good at healing. I never used Ana much, I don't like sniping.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Speaking of pushing payloads and Lucio. Several times I've gotten the most objective time on payload while paying lucio. Just chugging it along while i watch the silhouettes of teammates loving around ahead of me. At least Reinheart should come back and help me! And when the payload is being fought over, its fun to jump around it, you can both push it and avoid incoming fire. Also Lucio is cool and good, I don't care if people poo poo on him. :ohyeah:

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Kenshin posted:

Actually Rein moving a bit ahead of the cart along with some damage dealers (not way ahead, mind you) with Lucio and one other person moving the cart they can help divert/disrupt attacks against the cart and give you more time to react.

Sure, but in my case I was the only one actually pushing it, and Rein was far enough away to have structures in between us (hence just seeing silhouettes), let alone being close enough for me to heal him. What was worst was it was a team that had mic communication, and we were doing good. Sure, we pushed them back, thats great, but that won't mean anything if the payload isn't getting anywheres. I had to verbally remind my teammates we still had a payload to move. :argh:

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think it's supposed to show that Reinhardt's ult affects players standing on ledges above him.

Lucio is also in mid air at the moment of impact. So it shows you can't jump last second to avoid being stunned.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

FFS, even in playing competitive the team comp sucks rear end alot of times. All squishy characters, our only tank is a D.Va, and no healer so I gotta pick Lucio again. Or I gotta pick Reinhart to protect all those squishy fuckers. Although with competive you can at least avoid having a team with three freaking tracers. I almost never play a offensive character as at any given point there is at least three of them already chosen, playing competitive or otherwise.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

I just recieved my first ranking in comp. 2137. I got a bad lose streak, but then I had a pretty good win streak this morning. I know its not the best rank, but its a start at least.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Since she is a hacker she will probably disable deployables, such as turrets, traps etc using emp grenades and maybe has a the ability to see them as silhouettes, so she can counter junkrats traps. The emp grenades can be effective against shields too.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

What else can she do though? It is confirmed that she is a hacker so she has to hack something. An other possibility is a new builder that has drones that float behind her. We already have the training bots, that can float around, they could just make something smaller. Her hacking could be boosting her drones in some way. Hacking also could be a debuff of some sort, like reduced damage instead of reduced defense, healing and speed that we have now. (Edit)

Shnag fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 9, 2016

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Teddybear posted:

The patch is available for pre-load. Should go live at 2 PM eastern, if the leaks from korean PC bang notices are to be believed.

So is there a certain way to activate this, or maybe it already happened by itself? Because i played this morning and I didn't notice any updates.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

So is anyone seeing anything yet? I guess there is still at least 15 minutes till it launches.
edit: Nevermind, i see an update

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Pretty annoying that my first two Halloween loot boxes had the genji Halloween voice line. I don't play him! At least there is still plenty of time to earn loot boxes. This is a really cool thing that Overwatch is doing, I can't really think of many games that had free seasonal events, besides maybe castle crashers on the 360.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

junan_paalla posted:

At least I'm not buying Map Pack #3 so that I can play with my friends or paying to play someone else than the heroes on weekly rotation or grinding to upgrade my weapons (skip it for 10$!) or something equally stupid that's apparently an ok business model in tyool 2016.

I always found it absurd in battlefield games that I usually only saw half of the weapons, since I didn't grind them all out. Its cool in Overwatch that everyone has access to the same kits so don't have to deal with getting killed by that one kind of shotgun or sniper rifle that you haven't unlocked yet. Also paying the same price as the game it self to have access to maps is very dumb. Overwatch's way keeps old players coming back for more, keeping the numbers up, meaning more people to buy the game.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

I see junkrat plenty on ps4, though I still play alot of quick play over competitive. I find his trap really annoying, mainly because I play alot as Lucio, and some tracer, so when I zip around the map I tend to run into his traps. Also his tires tend to zero in on me (even passing my teammates), and its hard to hit it with lucio's fart gun.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Considering some of the teams I've played on, I am just happy if my team consists of two tanks and two healers. I am not concerned what the other two are. Really anything to avoid three offense,a hanzo, and a widowmaker.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

The group I've been playing with find having a mercy on the team is important for her rez ability. While on quick play I can sometimes get 3+ rez, on comp its usually 2+ as mercy gets singled out the easiest out of supports because the obvious beam connecting her to players. So while her rez is really useful, she tends to die first out of a group so its sometimes a moot point. I still prefer lucio as a support. Playing in a group of 6 is alot of fun, but since I play on head phones I find I miss out on audio cues since voice chat covers alot of the game sound, especially the subtle stuff like foot steps. Also I find I'm the most chill, as some of them lose their poo poo when they lose a comp match.

And speaking of support, for Ana I thought her zoomed in shots did more damage/heal like widow maker, but I guess it just changes her shots to hit scan rather then projectile?

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Didn't some cheaters get real but hurt over getting banned by blizzard before? Like they don't see what they do as cheating? I know pc gamers sometimes open up the code to tweak frame rate, maybe they try to justify their cheating if its not readily prevented.

Though where is the fun in straight up cheating? Its making the other team stand at the side lines while you take shots on a unprotected net while thinking you are king poo poo. I'm glad to be on ps4 so this poo poo doesn't happen for the most part.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Hargrimm posted:

Playing a fast-paced FPS on a console to avoid hackers is the most 'cut off your nose to spite your face' thing I've ever heard.

Sure, don't let us console peasents feel good about anything! <:mad:>

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Naerasa posted:

One thing they've specifically said is they don't want to give her any healing ability just because she's in support. If it comes down to it, they'll move her to defense before they give her the ability to heal.

For my money, I think it'd be neat if they gave her some ability that allowed her to boost other player's speed. Right now Lucio is the only character who can do that, so he becomes an auto-include in tournaments. Giving Sym a different type of speed enhancer would take the pressure off the auto-Lucio pick and also give people another reason to pick her.

From what I read in this thread her shield ability used to be much more substantial, but as it is now, her giving someone freaking 25hp shield is hilarious and worthless, especially seeing a little tick added to a Reinharts health. Maybe give her a buff in that department, but add a requirement to have LoS. So you can give someone a good shield boost, but you have to stay together.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Last night I bought two loot boxes and got nothing, so I managed to get on this morning and earned an other loot box and finally got the Mercy skin. Great idea to have events like this, also the only time buying loot boxes makes any sense, why would you spend real money on the vanilla boxes if they aren't going any wheres?

Sestze posted:

can't wait for her interactions with Reaper.

poo poo, why hasn't someone done fanart with sombra and reaper as the cast of a spanish daytime tv soap?

Well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44fjZSmy2XU

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Squiggles Unite posted:

As zarya just play semi-passively till you build around 60+ charge, wait for self bubble to come off cooldown then go murder a couple guys and run back to your team to heal and recharge. Rinse repeat till the enemy breaks over your mighty russian knees.

Bubble someone as they are getting charged by a Reinhardt, then help the teammate take him out. Its especially satisfying if the teammate is a squishy like Lucio as you know you denied the Reinhardt a sure kill. Also bubbling a diving Winston is great too, if he puts down his bubble you can make a great killing team in that zone. Use your primary fire (the solid beam) when ever you are in range, as it does more damage then the grenade launcher, but don't be afraid to nade a fleeing gengi as small quick characters can be hard to hit with your narrow beam.

She is also amazing at setting up other character ultimate's. You can even launch it right after your teammate launches theirs. It means giving your teammates PoTG, but you shouldn't be concerned about that.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Disgusting Coward posted:

The biggest part of Zarya is knowing when to fall back and regroup. Once you see your shield's going to go, duck out and hang around the periphery barfing grenades onto everyone and come back once you've regenerated and your bubbles are off cooldown. Become a 600hp roadblock that the enemy team has to deal with every 10 seconds, barfing out laser death the entire time. They'll break before you do. Russia Stronk.

Also Zarya synergises really well with Mei, Roadhog and Reaper. Mei in particular becomes a gargantuan pain in the dick, because whoever she's going for has to blow through 200hp of bubble before they can even try to stop her freezing them, and if they succeed they've given you 50% charge with which to laser their loving faces off.

Zarya works good defending against Mei's Ult as well. Her bubble stops the slowing effect even if its already starting to happen, and you can run out of the radius of the attack to safety. You can bubble a teammate too, who can help protect anyone that's frozen. Its also fun to gravaton surge a enemy Zarya right after she did the same to you. So both teams end up in a big clump in effectively shooting at each other. Added bonus points if both team's D.Va Ult then too. (actually happened)

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

So I remember hearing for the junkenstien event if you had regular unopened regular loot boxes before the event started, they turned into halloween boxes once it began. So would it make sense to try to have some saved on hand now? I know at very least it would work to save some coins anyways. Nice to see the updates finally live, though I can't see my self using sombra anytime soon outside no limit and mysterious choice games. She's going to be slammed picked for the next while, she is a cool character though.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

You are wrong to think this, stupid to believe it would ever be feasible, and a loving embarrassment to your family for lacking the cognitive faculty to let it past what most people call a bullshit filter. I can't loving believe anyone would get duped like this anymore since it's easily checkable but here we are, like a child asking about whether poop really does taste like chocolate.

No, you can not "bank" boxes. For any event. Ever. The boxes are seeded upon bring earned and cannot be changed.

You seem a little tense. It was actually from this thread where i saw that rumour which is why I asked. A simple "no" would have sufficed.

Cowcaster posted:

It is completely false. Loot boxes contents are generated when they show up in your inventory so you can't "save" them for anything. If I had to guess the opening lootbox animation was just changed to the "halloween" animation for the boxes already in your pile and someone took that and ran with it.

Ah ok, this makes sense then. Though banking coins will still work though.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Just spent $7 :canada: on five boxes and just got a few from the arcade and still no 80's Zarya :argh:

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

I didn't get 80s Zarya during the event, therefore Barbarian wins by default.

I bought 10 loot boxes and earned plenty and still didn't get my Stranger Things Zarya. So I gotta go for the Barbarian next. I have reaper skins coming out of my rear end though, and I never play the knob.

New skins look good over all. And we are probably getting more Christmas skins in between. And a new support looks good too. Its awesome they keep updating this game to give you reasons to keep coming back.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I personally expected him to be a berserker style tank, who gets stronger the more damage he takes or something. I definitely did not expect a janky fighting game character made out of tissue paper.

Considering a child get powered up by just swining the fist alone in the animated short, and you need to transport the fist on a slab (payload) rather then just carrying it you'd expect who ever owned the fist would imposing as the fist. I was expecting an other melee focused tank. His charge punch from the lore could still work in a tank kit, making him an other squishy character never really made since to me.

Sade posted:

Listen to figure out the direction it's coming from. Ideally you aren't the only person shooting at it also. Experience helps too, since after awhile you learn the common angles JR likes to send his tire from.

I found since the update junkrats tires are being far more ok with just killing one person. I'd be playing Mercy and hear junkrats tire go off, and think "I'm no wheres near that. I should be fine." But the tire doesn't explode nor gets destroyed. It just keeps going, and going, then eventually it rounds a corner and spots me, proceeds to drive past teammates to kill me and only me. :bang:

Shnag fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 13, 2017

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

BallisticClipboard posted:

After the 4th or 5th second of JR ult without seeing it, I know the ult is just humping a wall waiting for the first person to move past.

It wasn't even that. It spotted me at the other end of the street. And proceeded to drive around our roadhog and dps to get me. Of course that wouldn't have happened of if they thought to shoot at it. Not doing much with just mercy's gun.

Ravenfood posted:

Well, that's why. A tire that just kills the Mercy is a good tire.

Its mainly how long the tire was going for before I even saw it. Like it was cruising the whole map until it found mercy, and only mercy.

Manatee Cannon posted:

who would transport a villain's super weapon by hand

hell, who would carry a museum exhibit by hand

Yeah fair enough.

EmmyOk posted:

In the lore every subsequent holder has had a fist with more added to it even though it's the same gauntlet. The first was a goodie I think then the second was a baddie who recruited the third to Talon but was then killed by him lol. Which makes sense cos the first guy was literally called The Saviour

That's pretty cool. A follow some of the overwatch lore, but there is alot to it outside the shorts.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

I like using Moria and Zarya in total mayhem. As Moria you can pretty much dash and throw her orbs non-stop. And its fun to throw as many orbs out as you can in a spawn room before a match starts.

As Zarya you can be at max power most of the time due to how rapidly you can have your barrier's out. Though even with max damage its hard to finish off people in that mode with how hard everyone is to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Ran into some lovely comp last night. First, a team member quit out at the character select screen, then the next match, the other team has a member quit at the character select screen. And then, on my third try, at the character select screen all but two people (including me) slam pick dps. So I mention that we could use a tank and a healer, and a guy has a total loving melt down about people talking about switching goes a tirade before rage quitting. So I just played some total mayham and threw around a bunch of orbs as Moria.

I understand people like DPS, but the bottom line is not everyone can be quarterback! Someone has to play goalie! I'm fine as tank or healer, but I can't be both. But in comp I feel like I am stuck with mercy as no one else chooses healer, even in comp, and I feel you are at a disadvantage if you don't have mercy, even with all the nerfs. On the other hand, if tank and healers are already chosen, I feel I am not much use in comp with DPS class due to how little I use them outside of mystery heros.

thexerox123 posted:

Playing on Xbox, I recently switched my jump button for Pharah from A to Left Trigger... good lord, what a world of difference.

I have jump and L1 switched for lucio and mercy on ps4. For mercy so its easier to glide all over the place. For lucio for wall running, did the same on titan fall 2 and works really well.