Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

hhhat posted:

so are you going to or nah

theres so many easy ways to address that potential problem that its really annoying that they just chose to not have the problem

for example, all the people who are shadowbanned just get each other as teammates
or you get a message saying 'you have so many avoids that it will take you 15 minutes to find a match, want to clear the list?'
or whatever

I've said before let me subscribe to overwatch premium where it costs 5 a month and i only play against other prem players and you lose your sub if you get avoided too much or you dont get to sub unless youve gotten level 100 or some poo poo

Suddenly youre not playing with leavers or smurfs

But nooooooo

You already have 10+ minute DPS queues, with that change you would need to schedule your games a day in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You can heal with Ana kind of like Moira because the darts will go through teammates who have full health. So if you can get all your teammates in a row, you can shoot at the group and it will heal them all from nearest to farthest. If you're helping out a teammate in a 1v1, you can also try to position yourself so that your teammate is between you and the enemy, so that your shots heal your teammate when they're damaged or the enemy at max health.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Scoped shots are hitscan but give away your position. For longer distances the scope will be mandatory since you'll need to lead the unscoped shots so much. But you can quickly scope and take 3 shots against a Pharah, no problem with that.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Make sure to call the sleep before you shoot, since it's a slow projectile and other people might be actively shooting them. If you don't call out a sleep first it might as well be wasted. At higher ranks your teammates will expect you to sleep Bob or Genji or whatever and give you a second though.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

So Summer Games is coming later today, also just when I thought I had seen the depths of stupidity in this game tonight has proven me wrong, you have not experienced hell until you've played in a sub 1200 competitive game, like literally the only reason I don't uninstall the game and snap the disc in twain right this second is because the event is almost here, I think I'm done with Competitive for good now, or at least until either 2 comes out or I get a PC that can play this game

Also if Blizzard added an option to fully reset one's SR I would slam that button with the force of ten thousand suns, hell if they asked for money for it I'd probably pay whatever they asked for it at this point(and yes I know as a PS4 player I could just make a new PS4 account to effectively reset but then I'd not only have to go through the first 25 levels again but I'd also be starting from scratch with my inventory)

ELO hell is completely real, Bronze is mostly children and people with intellectual issues, on an unranked account I sailed to plat because you win 50 sr per game instead of 10.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

grieving for Gandalf posted:

who's the one player that's on every one of your bad teams?

In most games there's 5 of them

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Overwatch FFA is just competitive kill stealing, which as a Sombra main I'm totally down for

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Before every round I ask "is a hot dog a sandwich?" in match chat as a form of psychological warfare. This question will make anyone drop what they're doing and type out a paragraph of sandwich semantics.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
All of you need to stop looking into the abyss. The sandwich paradox is like Bird Box.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Robot Arms posted:

Overwatch is still the best game ever.

Yeah. To watch at the circus.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It sounds like you don't like FPSes. Just the FP.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Moderation almost never includes voice chat since they don't log it. See how many people say slurs on voice chat then the person telling them stfu in text gets banned for a month.

xtal fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 23, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I doubt most of those changes are going to make it live, seems like they just got bored and wanted to mix it up with nonsense

But yes, the sombra changes are particularly bad. I don't think you need to give big nerfs to one of the hardest heros with the worst win rate.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Sombra's hack is just a worse version of Rocket Punch. It's like if you have the charge time, but instead of the ultimate CC (instantly killing them) , that was when you got to start shooting them with a weak rear end weapon that takes 100% accuracy to clip with.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Countering Lucio and Ball is half the fun of playing Sombra, it's like an auto win to see those. I've also found that if you use EMP on sound barrier or photon barrier that it's a guaranteed POG, not sure how they calculate that.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pope Guilty posted:

In the past 3-4 weeks I've probably opened ten loot boxes, and every single item I've pulled from them except a couple of yellow-rarity skins has been a duplicate to an item I already had. I do not have anything like the number of unlocks that would be necessary to make this make any sense. Is this happening to anybody else?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I've played a couple days after not playing for a couple months, and my SR has been sailing, 500 points in DPS, then I didn't want to wreck my ranking so I played healer for a while and I have almost 500 there too. I don't think I magically got that much better, it's more evidence in favor of engagement based matchmaking/ELO hell etc.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

xtal posted:

I've played a couple days after not playing for a couple months, and my SR has been sailing, 500 points in DPS, then I didn't want to wreck my ranking so I played healer for a while and I have almost 500 there too. I don't think I magically got that much better, it's more evidence in favor of engagement based matchmaking/ELO hell etc.

I noticed a streak of bad queues today and wondered what was up. Of course it's because there's an event going on and people who don't know how to play the game are back again.

It still seems kind of bonkers to think that Overwatch's ELO is accurate when it can vary 200-700 SR depending on the time you queue. I also think this explains ELO hell: the lower your SR, the more likely you are to be affected by casuals coming in and out of the game.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Well, never mind, I'm already banned again. Back to apex!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
My last two bans have been for using the slur "noob"

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
To the ELO-hell-haters: how do you explain 900 ELO variance depending on time you queue?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pope Guilty posted:

I almost never get grouped with dudes like that so it sounds like the system works? :shrug:

You're describing ELO hell. That's where everyone else is.

xtal fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 8, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

dogstile posted:

That's a you thing. You continually post about how you're constantly getting banned, which is not the norm. You're continually posting about how you're insulting people, that's not the norm.

Basically, if you grow up and stop shouting at people, your SR variance will go down. I don't think you're capable of this, however. Its been years and you're still doing it.

So ELO hell does exist?

I wouldn't need to insult my teammates if they didn't suck. That happens a lot more in ELO hell.

xtal fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 8, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
When losing makes it harder to win, that is literally the definition of ELO hell.

The especially silly thing is that after I get unbanned in a month, Blizzard will try and give me 500 SR to keep me engaged. It's at least partly engagement based.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I've been top 8 in every game I've ever played :shrug: Guess this game for children is just super duper hard

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
E: removed worthless post, so far

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
On the other hand, if you tell them all to go to quick play, you don't need to use up your limited avoid slots on people who shouldn't be playing ranked. It might even spare future people the trouble.

Here's my hot take: Going into ranked and playing like poo poo, is far more offensive to your teammates, than your teammates telling you you're poo poo. Queueing ranked is an agreement not to be poo poo. It's fair to be angry at people to betray that agreement and waste your time and SR.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

dogstile posted:

In which case why do you ever queue ranked?

To carry, but some people are beyond hope.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

dogstile posted:

I've said it before and i'll say it again. Elo hell is the belief that there is nothing you can do to increase your rank because of your teammates. I have personally climbed from bronze to GM multiple times. I've done so without being an rear end in a top hat or being banned from the game.

Maybe work on your gameplay, buddy.

When did you queue? Do you think that has a factor or not?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It sounds like you are living in a different world from everybody else's experience. I actually addressed this early on because it's a core part of ELO hell. Lower ranks have more punishing variance due to casuals.

xtal posted:

I also think this explains ELO hell: the lower your SR, the more likely you are to be affected by casuals coming in and out of the game.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

what is your SR, xtal

Diamond with good queues, plat with bad queues

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

dogstile posted:

Please explain how my winrate was solidly above 80/90% in every case where I queued from Bronze upwards, only slowing down when I started going up against better players.

The other team has 6 possible casual players who have no idea what they're doing. You only have 5 possibles, if you, yourself are not a casual player. This inherently puts the odds in your favour.

Because... you aren't in ELO hell. Have you heard the phrase "the exception that proves the rule?" It isn't astonishing that you can break out of low ranks by being extremely good, ELO hell says you need to be extremely good to break out of low ranks. To put it in approximate terms for demonstration, you need to win 90% of your games to rank up, rather than 50-75%. That is ELO hell.

so you're an average player 5 years in

I didn't have a PC until a year ago but yes, ELO hell is a killer.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

you don't need to rank up. you're exactly where you should be given your skill, and frankly, your ability to coordinate with your teammates

It's not up to me to make up for my bad teammates. Ranking up would make it easier. That is... ELO hell.

For evidence: my win rate goes up with my SR, except on days with noobs coming in for events.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Anyway, did you all know apex legends is free, a better game, and also not from a Nazi company?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't it true that far more people play apex? Did they all get banned for saying noob in overwatch?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Not true in my experience. I get called slurs all the time and they don't even have an interface to report teammates.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

FAUXTON posted:

elo hell only exists for you if you believe in it imo, symptom of easily being tilted and carrying resentment forward. You settle to the SR you're playing at on average and if you're playing all pissy and expecting your team to read your mind when you run away from them trying to make a play, then you're playing poorly and it reflects on your SR

This doesn't explain the 900-point day to day variance.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

FAUXTON posted:

sure it does, it goes up when you're getting carried

And on the other days it's... ELO hell?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I also saw that Jayne video of the Gold team where they steamrolled the other team and never capped and then got wiped and tbh as a silver player it was deeply disturbing

This happens all the time. Gold is all tank diff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Ravenfood posted:

You're the only person I see getting banned every season. :shrug:

Lol if only you knew more about the thing you were complaining about.