Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

WoodrowSkillson posted:

agreed, however that's still not a good reason to allow multiple instances of a character in a game with 21 of them.

the most fun games are when its all different characters so there are the most variables at play

Maybe for you, but I've also had fun games where we stack, like the last game of Nepal I played with 5 Roadhogs and a Lucio.

Just because you don't like to play that way doesn't mean it's the most fun for everyone. The game wasn't designed to restrict it to one hero per team. It's been that way from the beginning and if that's causing you to not have fun with it, that's 100% on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Efexeye posted:

It seems like it has a range of 'the map'

Actually, the Mercy ult used to be MUCH worse. It used to have a range of 40 meters and I'm pretty sure she didn't need LoS for the res. Now it's 15 meters, she still doesn't needs LoS, and she can shift charge to dead players to get into position.

Edit for correction

Kamikaze Raider fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 25, 2016

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Star posted:

I think my favorite part is when Reinhardts don't know that Winston's gun penetrates their shield. I don't know how many people I've seen who just stand there, holding their shield, thinking they're safe.

It's the same thing with Sym's R-Click. They just stupidly watch this slow orb move toward them and then don't understand how it kills the Bastion behind the shield. Things like that will get less and less effective as people get more and more familiar with the game.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Minrad posted:

I noticed today that Hanzo wears only one sleeve of his clothing, and it reminded me of Auron in FFX, especially considering his young master skin wears his outfit normally.

Is it some cliche for ronin in japanese media, or is just justified by added mobility and looking cool? Searching for it pretty much just gives me zero useful information but I am sure there are some huge weeaboos here, with all the lum avatars from ADTRW showing.

I always thought it was just to free up the movement of the arm?

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

objects in mirror posted:

She also works as a waifu whose realistic proportions make her feel more "achievable"

(I learned the term "waifu" from this thread. It's YOU people who corrupted me)

"Realistic" proportions

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

In non-Widowmaker conversation, where is Roadhog strong? Of all the tanks he's the only one I don't really see a lot of big advantage to. He soaks a ton of HP and is very durable but he also builds enemy ults like woah

What the hell does this even mean? Since when does damage taken build ult? I don't remember that ever being the case.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

kaleedity posted:

I'm stuck because I really like mccree's style but it's too strong and now I don't want to play him until he gets nerfed

c'mon nerf him quick so I can play him and not feel like a shitbag

lol If you feel like a shitbag for playing a particular character in a game. just play the game, dude.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Countblanc posted:

i would hardly call it absurd, they're entertainers providing a service. no one is earning The Big Bucks playing competitive games outside of maybe like LoL and even then "big bucks" is pretty fuckin relative

http://www.esportsearnings.com/

What? I mean, yeah, it's not CEO money or anything, but some of those guys make some serious cash.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Lady Naga posted:

DOTA prize money is deceptively high since the prize pools have to be split between the players, management, coaches, etc. Not to mention taxes and the fact that these players aren't salaried means that prize money is their only income. I'm not 100% sure it's the same for other esports but I'm almost certain League is the only franchised esport at the time.

If you're talking specifically about PPD, Universe, Aui, Sumail and Fear, that money is what they earned individually. The last TI's 1st prize payout was $6.6 Million, and even with splitting 5 ways that's still ~$1.3 million before taxes and whatnot. There's nothing deceptively high about that. It's just high.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Mortimer posted:

as long as the cause was we got outplayed instead of "our team comp was hosed by useless heroes" then im pretty all right tbh

uhh?
"I'm intentionally feeding"
"please don't play mei or hanzo!"

what did that solve

"I'm going to play hanzo"
"hanzo isnt good, we need a widowmaker tank healer reaper mccree tracer genji 76 try one of those"
"okay"

oh look we won

1. Get over yourself, because I promise you that you and your friends aren't even close to as good as you think you are.

2. Please post your and your friends' gamertags so I can preemptively block you dumbasses. I'd like to reduce the chances of getting paired with insufferable children.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Hahaha. It's always good to be proven right.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Mortimer posted:

n
i
c
e meltdown

ya lmao thats totally me
what is MMR and weighting towards 50% winrate? do you know? does anyone know?

No one needs to know that to know that, as I said, you aren't nearly as good as you think you are.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Mortimer posted:

I didnt see some compares

if youre gonna be like me and have a tiny dick at least link your comparisons bb

no matter how "bad" I am hanzo and mei are still worse

The difference is that we aren't telling people what to play and what not to play, because we aren't whiny babies who think that winning is more important than people having fun playing a video game. Hope that explains the difference.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

WoodrowSkillson posted:

beyond inertia i have never seen a reason why this needs to be the case

Because people like to play sniper characters. It's as simple as that. Sorry you may not like them, but a lot of people do, and they make games to cater to more people than Something Awful Forums Poster WoodrowSkillson.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Now people are bitching about people leaving matches after they're over? Jesus christ this thread sucks.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Broseph Brostar posted:

Funny how they adjusted Widowmaker is a few different ways but it's barely going to affect the meta that most people will see. The only counter to a good Widow is still another better Widow, and Winston and D.Va are still going to be shredded when attempting to stop those good Widows.

Zenyatta will still be horrible and unfun when the enemy has a widowmaker, its just now you are constantly waiting in cover for your shield to come back instead of waiting for your respawn timer.

How about we see how the changes actually affect the meta before you get to the whole "sky is falling" doomsaying again?

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Ddraig posted:

Nah it's totally cool when half the team quits and you get to spend 2 minutes searching for a new game because people can't wait 30 seconds for the next round to begin.

They're not being selfish at all.

Yes, they are being selfish, over something so unbelievably trivial that no one who's not brain damaged would actually care.

Stop being brain damaged.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Mister Fister posted:

Dumb question, but does Zarya's weapon still charge if you put a bubble shield on Reinhart and he has his shield up and absorbing damage?

I thought someone mentioned that it doesn't charge you up, but someone else says it does.

Zarya's shield has to be actually absorbing the damage to translate into charge for Zarya. If Reinhardt has HIS shield up, that's what is absorbing the damage, not Zarya's shield.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Broseph Brostar posted:

Yeah but nailing all 6 shots to kill a Reaper is a lot of rng going right unless you're within kissing distance. Even with flashbang you have to hope your victim is bad enough to not use their 'oh poo poo' ability between the end of the stun and your last two shots.

Do you people who say "remove fan the hammer" or "delete widowmaker" actually think that they're going to REMOVE abilities and entire heroes from the game after release? I always thought it was just impotent rage translating into white noise shitposting, but I guess some of you actually think that something like that would really happen in the real world.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Removing abilities that don't work out in these sort of games isn't exactly uncommon. Usually they're replaced with something else.

Less than 2 weeks after release on something that hasn't even received a single adjustment post-release? When?

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

a cat on an apple posted:

Or maybe it's possible that sniping doesn't have a reasonable position inside a game with map and objective design such as Overwatch and will always be a power problem on either end of the spectrum no matter what

Maybe, just maybe, having a dedicated sniper is a bad idea

Maybe, but not really.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

Gotta love these brave goons defending the honor of Widowmaker even after she ate a huge nerf due to how stupid she was before.

Which thread are you reading, because it's clearly not this one.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

SaNChEzZ posted:

The golden Zenyatta orbs own

does anyone know if the golden gun changes weapon effects as well? if I can throw up giant walls of gold and freeze the enemy team into golden statues like some kind of deranged king midas, then I know where my first 300 "competitive points" are going.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Motherfucker posted:

Zenyatta and Symmetra were once good and useful is what I'm taking away from this.

no. you think you hated pre-nerf mccree?

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

Maybe there's a reason people are avoiding Widowmaker players as opposed to literally any other hero.

Maybe that is one example and a reasonable person would assume that they wouldn't remove an entire function for one guy having trouble matchmaking.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Ddraig posted:

I'm guessing the world's best reinhardt or the world's best mercy doesn't have this problem. I wonder why :pwn:

I also wonder why you think that, considering nothing has been said about that. It was one example of one person used for illustrative purposes. It wasn't the only reason for the removal of the feature.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Fellatio del Toro posted:

If Kaplan had an example of a Symmetra player who couldn't find a game because she was too good he would have definitely used that lol

whatever helps your narrative i guess.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Dongicus posted:

is there a tell if people have their ultimate ability or do i just need to assume everyone can insta kill me

also is there a point to having 22 classes besides skin jewery?

to your first question, the only time you can see the opposing teams ult level is if they kill you and you see it in the kill recap.

I have no idea what the gently caress your second sentence even means.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Luminous Cow posted:

It was my first game as bastion because we were on defense and no one picked defense heroes. I think I've seen all I need to of the community for this game

Just to clarify, you didn't say anything in chat to anyone? You picked Bastion and you were muted after that game because you picked Bastion and nothing else?

hosed up if true.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Fateo McMurray posted:

Ask a guy nicely to change his mic from always on to push to talk cause he's got one of those clacky keyboards and I don't wanna hear typing all game.

Immediately get accusing by all the other teammates of being salty and mad and told to just calm down.

:psyduck:

It's seriously not even worth it to ask anyone to do anything, nicely or otherwise.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Undaddy posted:

So is there any way to play mystery duel with a friend?

Not yet. It's in the works, but I wouldn't expect it to be ready by the time the patch hits live.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Redundant posted:

I think you can. The bubble extends past the shield a bit and I am sure I have gotten charge from it before. Its not ideal though either way.

E: they'd have to shoot the bubble part and not the very edge, obviously.

See, I was always told that you don't actually have to shoot the little edge that sticks beyond Reinhardt's shield because the bubble is just a visual indicator that "this person has Zarya's shield" and as long as you're hitting Rein (his model or his shield) while he's bubbled, Zarya will get charge.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Nope, bubbling a shielding Rein does not build charge.

/ninja edit: Unless he's hit with something that goes through his shield, like Winston's gun, Sym's balls or a Firestrike.

And this is saying she doesn't at all. I can't say I've really ever paid attention because I'm trash with Zarya, so I don't really know for sure what's correct.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Kashuno posted:

the PTR is not for worrying about balance issues it is for worrying about game breaking bugs. That is why a lot of things go through the PTR just fine but get tweaked on live.

Though, to be fair, they've said that they want to use the PTR to test some of the more drastic balance changes as well (see D.Va's health buff and Ult generation reduction for this patch).

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

:lol: That terrible sensitivity is probably a big reason why you're not higher. Try for 10-12 inches for much better aiming. Also, use your arm to move your mouse, not your wrist. Lift your lazy arm off the desk and sit up with good posture.

Alternatively, the non-smug rear end in a top hat answer is: "Play however you feel most comfortable."

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Kanfy posted:

I've never spent a single second in voice chat with randoms in competitive and I never will, if you wanna try and throw me in jail then I say bring it.

Woah, look at the badass here.

Communication can be the difference between a win and a loss. You can play however you want, but you pretty much forfeit your right to bitch about losses if you aren't willing to make the minimal amount of effort to even try and win.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Jeza posted:

Incredibly I didn't find the jump pad yet but I wasn't really looking. I didn't play on PTR either.

It's right here.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Verranicus posted:

D.va and Symmetra are the most broken characters.

Not even close.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Irony Be My Shield posted:

McCree tends to get picked when there are flankers on the opposing team to stun or two-shot. Soldier is just better against tanks.

A side effect of the Roadhog nerf may be that McCree sees a little more playtime dealing with Genji/Tracer/Sombr...haha, ok, I couldn't get that last one out, but you get the idea.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

He's goddamned great. Does the charge up on the bow only affect range, not power?

Charging your shot affects range, power and projectile speed. An uncharged shot does 29 damage and flies at a rate of 22 m/sec. A fully charged shot does 125 damage and flies at a rate of 86.66 m/sec.

http://overwatch.gamepedia.com/Hanzo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Theta Zero posted:

Well, they borked Roadhog's hook in PTR on top of nerfing D.Va, so...

Well......That's not 100% true. Hook 2.0 terrible, but 2.1 is actually a little better; it's just going to take some getting used to. Also, with the new hook/D.va nerfs, Roadhog can de-mech a full D.va with a single hook combo.