Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Irony Be My Shield posted:

My friend is reporting that Orisa is so tall her head pokes over Rein's shield. One way to keep them off the same team.

situational crouching!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

berenzen posted:

900 HP on the shield, and there's a 5 second recharge time on it.

does it recharge as soon as you place it, or as soon as it breaks?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

turtlecrunch posted:

Also
"Helix officials have been unwilling to reveal whether or not there were additional escapees or items taken from the facility, but sources have indicated that it is likely that there were further security breaches in addition to Ogundimu."

Reaper broke Hammond out of evil space ape jail confirmed :smug:

Bet you the next few heroes are all gonna be Talon-affiliated 'cause right now there's really only a few of them

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/966840037093523456

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

next patch: d.va has a budget meter and if she goes over, she can't remech anymore

you have to fill out requisition forms in triplicate and wait for them to be approved by your supply officer before every remech

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Montalvo posted:

6v6 comp on console at gold rank is a uniquely painful experience beyond anything I've encountered before.

Are you getting, like, a SHITload of smurfs? I'm also gold on console and the number of dudes who have played Overwatch for this competitive season ONLY and have like eight hours total on the game but somehow have hugely-advanced game sense and masters-level aim is suspiciously high

Including the Hanzo I played with who only had three hours of Hanzo total but landed a million headshots, won us the game with a 4K, and was literally named "justindasmurf"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://kotaku.com/sources-blizzard-cancels-starcraft-first-person-shoote-1835285125

PVE Overwatch 2?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

esports magazine posted:

i had a route 66 just a few days ago with a damage who insisted on bastion both rounds, and i played what i always play with a bastion that wont switch - baptiste. at one point i kept him alive in a 2v3 against orisa soldier lucio for about 20 seconds straight, he proceeded to kill nothing because no aim + bad spot. he died

One hundred percent the worst feeling as a support main is going to heroic efforts to keep a bastion alive and they just can't keep their goddamn cursor on anyone on the enemy team

like if you keep them alive for that long against one 900 HP shield they should have murdered at least the orisa

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

I appreciate how they consider Reaper's 8-shot ammo count too

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

teagone posted:

[edit] Nevermind, actually just read the commissioner of the NBA made a stance, protecting the freedom of speech of their employees. Nice.

lol

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

teagone posted:

He may look like Nosferatu, but at least he's not giving in to Chinese censorship!

China is a hilariously huge market for the NBA, they are totally going to give in to Chinese censorship regardless of some vaguely affirmative statement

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

teagone posted:

Yes, I'm aware of how much money the NBA makes form China. It's just refreshing to hear him say the NBA isn't going to regulate the comments of its employees, as opposed to him fining or banning Morey from the NBA or whatever—and anyone else who would follow suit—for expressing their opinions against the Chinese government.

The Rockets might not fire Morey but he’s already apologized in public and the likelihood of anyone else of any importance in the NBA saying anything further of substance about China is close to zero

The league in general is far more progressive than pretty much any others, but unfortunately they’re not going to do anything as noble as “standing up for free speech.” The only real difference between them and Blizzard is that Morey is a relatively powerful figure so his job is safe for the time being. The player and casters for Hearthstone are not, so they got screwed.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

teagone posted:

Still, gently caress Blizzard for going to the lengths that they did to appease China.

Oh I mean sure, not defending Blizzard here. Just that the two companies are doing similar things

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
It’s not so much Blizzard, it’s your favorite economic system and mine, c a p i t a l i s m

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

porfiria posted:

China is actually less than 10% of Blizzard's revenues. They're doing this because

1) The calculation was this would safeguard that 10% without affecting the other 90 at all
2) They think China will be a big boy some day

yeah Activision Blizzard is basically counting on this writ large:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

turtlecrunch posted:

Rocket League publisher Psyonix was acquired by Epic Games in May. Tencent (which owns a 5% stake in Activision-Blizzard) owns a 48% stake in Epic Games. They also own 90+% of Riot Games (LoL) and are the ones who dealt with the NBA to get NBA games broadcast in China.

Enjoy!

no ethical consumption etc. etc.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

This isn't a concern for console players.

console players get messages sent to them after the game instead

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

People in the tryhard thread were saying they need to nerf his combo rather than rocket punch, and that seems legit to me. Idk how they could do it without breaking him altogether, but then again, I don't care. :argh:

Reduce his gun damage?

Give people some control over their movement when he uppercuts them?

Make him move slower when he seismic slams? Make it louder? Maybe his fist glows when he does it so you can see him better?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Also just had a thought, we have multiple Offense Heroes who can do sniper/marksman stuff, and we have Ana for Support, what would a Sniper Tank be like?

Maybe when Mauga comes out they can give him a slow-firing railgun

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Macaluso posted:

I hope Mauga comes out at Blizzcon. I don't want to play as the gross foot man, I want to play as cool Evil Maui.

It's him or Echo or Sojourn

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I don't understand the game enough to know what's going on beyond the Sigma and Orisa shields being a big part of why I'm a god now, but I like it. Every engagement favours me now and I never feel frustrated with Moira like I did before.

You've got an ability that can heal through shields, you have a get-out-of-jail-free card that saves you from flankers and the ults that can kill you, and every engagement happens within your optimal range. You can also build ult insanely quick off Sigma and Orisa alone

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

pointlessone posted:

So are we just stuck waiting for OW2 before we get anything new now?

there's at least one new hero coming before OW2

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dick Burglar posted:

No heroes will "face bans" because it's just going to be a rotating pool which heroes get disabled for a given week, which is completely out of control of the playerbase. IN THEORY, every hero will be equally affected.

Edit: I didn't actually watch the video so maybe I'm wrong and they'll be targeting certain heroes and ignoring others. I'm just talking out of my rear end!

Edit 2: I watched the video, and it sounds like hero pools are a manual thing, not an automated thing. So yeah, some heroes will definitely end up disabled more often than others :rip:

It’s a random selection from the most played heroes of the week

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

megane posted:

Agreed completely. Ana is a stroke of design genius, and handily avoids pretty much all the problems I have with snipers. That first period after release when we got Ana, Sombra, Orisa, Doomfist, and Moira showed some amazing innovation. Especially since the FPS genre rarely rises above the level of "a SMG that is slightly more accurate than most other SMGs."

Ana is the best-designed character because despite having probably the two most powerful non-ult abilities in the game you almost never hear "Ana is bullshit"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

berenzen posted:

Ana went through a bunch of nerfs. Pre-nerfs you absolutely heard her called a bullshit strong champion. This was when her shots did 80 damage and her ult gave +50% move speed.

ah yeah I didn't play back then, forgot about it

even then it seems like it was fixed when they just messed with numbers a bit, she didn't need a total rework like Sym or Torb

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1239597502887673867

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Also a Wrecking Ball player kept grappling onto a pillar on the objective, but with zero team support so he got charged into the wall over and over for easy kills. You'd think he'd change his strategy after the third time it happened.

dogs learn faster than your standard Overwatch pubbie

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Father Wendigo posted:

Any news on OW2? It feels like there's been nothing but dead air since the initial announcement, barring speculation and 'leaks.'

just this from the past week:

https://twitter.com/JasonBabbles/status/1304213069157953536

probably doesn't mean much

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
generally insulting your teammates makes your team more likely to lose because no one likes being insulted and it makes you more likely to lose going forward because it puts you in a pissy, negative mood

I have always had my best results when I'm relentlessly, almost sickeningly positive. It's not an easy attitude to hold!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
basically any individual game may be decided by factors outside of your control but overall if you can't climb that's on you bro

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
lol at putting like 16% of the players in your league out of a job

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

GigaPeon posted:

So how does this work with OW1/2 crossplay? Is 6v6 just donezo?

OW1 will basically just be OW2 without the PVE

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1395469715330449408

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
you know if they're gonna introduce 5v5 in this stream they should really also be like "and by the way here are two new characters and their abilities"

balance the controversial news with the good news!!!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
it is extremely funny to me that five years after the game "Overwatch" was released that the story is at the point of "maybe we will reform Overwatch"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Aim in Overwatch is incredibly difficult on account of the instant movement acceleration, multiple movement abilities, and how tiny some of the heads are

It’s a different type of aim but it’s not surprising a lot of former OW pros have found success in VALORANT

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Famous TV Dad posted:

i don't even (potentially) mind the change to 5v5 but considering all the work they will have to put in to re-balance every character what happens to updating the balance for ow1 now? do they just completely drop it? can this game become even more stagnant somehow?

I know this is a "game dev is hard" thing but putting a full hold on new heroes sans Echo for like two? three years? horrible idea. New hero teases were a big part of this game's hype cycle and gave streamers new content and made OWL stages more interesting

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
it still blows my mind that Overwatch decided to forgo releasing any new content for an indefinite length of time while all their other competitors are just pumping out characters and the like. Not a great idea in retrospect!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

dogstile posted:

Fixed that for you. I can't believe they've left the game as stale as it is.

it's bizarre!

like even the game's story, right. I don't care about the story but Overwatch has a huge casual fanbase who love its story and characters, and in five years the story of Overwatch is "Overwatch is getting back together soon!"

on top of that, you have stuff like the seasonal events. Hey, Summer Games is back! Lucioball was OK, I bet you could do Ashe's Skeet Shooting challenge or Reinhardt Baseball or Genji's Obstacle Course! At least one new one each time! Not "Rocket League but worse and with no forfeit option so the games last a half hour"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

dogstile posted:

I'm still of the opinion that they went "gently caress, we can't stop goats, lets do 5v5" three years ago and never moved on.

and then the Dragons used a weirdo comp to beat GOATS lol

broadly the OW team made two inexplicable decisions:

1. completely stopped new hero/map releases with the exception of Echo and a few deathmatch maps no one cares about. Hero releases in particular keep a game hyped up, let content creators cook, provide interesting storylines to the pro leagues, etc. It'd be one thing if they were like "we're not gonna release new heroes until OW2 comes out, in [definitely locked-down date]" but they're basically asking folks to trust that the drought will end at some point.

2. "hey, our fanbase has a huge percentage of casual folks who love it for the lore. let's release a short story or whatever every five months and have OW1 end with the story at the 'Overwatch is getting back together maybe???' stage"