Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bagrada posted:

Are there odds on what will happen in an hour?

- error 37
- laaaaaaag
- wires crossed, logging in places you into battleborn and TF2 matches
- game doesn't exist, was all viral marketing for new HOTS hero Tracer (oh she went live weeks ago? Ooops our bad)
- peace on earth and golden age of mankind
- stuck as 9 million people click to open their first chest at once but the servers can only handle one at a time
- hardcore mode accidentally enabled, once a character dies in game no one can pick that character ever again (who wins?)
- 2% chance of justice raining from above?

widowmaker, widowmaker, widowmaker, S76, hanzo, bastion vs widowmaker, widowmaker, widowmaker, widowmaker, widowmaker, widowmaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://twitter.com/shanehickey/status/734591271239573505

Imagine if she'd hit up Gearbox, they would have sent her a loving dubstep video of some character model ripped from WC3.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ciaphas posted:

I'm just gonna play DOOM for the next hour or so, give things a good half hour to stabilize

Imagine them taking the servers down for some kind of maintenance after an hour of surprisingly stable service. You'd miss out on that hour.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KingKapalone posted:

Any details on how rare the orange 1000 cost skins (legendaries?) are? I got one by level 6.

I got the widowmaker pirate skin which is a loving waste because she's a pointless character to play.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Brannock posted:

Widowmaker doesn't have a pirate skin

You aren't convincing me that the Marquis skin isn't some flamboyant pirate poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Brannock posted:

Think more rich snooty European fox hunter

Forest pirate. :colbert:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mordiceius posted:

Is there any reason to not open loot crates as soon as I get them?

If you're in a a good crew and just getting good game after good game then maybe you just want to wait until afterward to open them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

objects in mirror posted:

Teaming up with goons = fun. But I feel there's more pressure to win? Teaming up creates zero sum dynamics whereas if you're just in Quick Play you can dick around.

Nah, there's no pressure to win with goons. Hell the last game I played last night we had a guy who wasn't able to grasp the concept of payload defense and we just got steamrolled because he thought we were supposed to defend the cart from an unknown third party while the other team pushed it or something. Something like that, he was hung up on the word "defend."

There's definitely no pressure to win. There's no pressure to really even play the game or anything, we had people playing on dialup or comcast or something and just disconnecting over and over. Playing with goons just means nobody's going to talk too much poo poo about your mother and/or your sexuality if you're a fuckup :v:

E: and then there's the times when you hold Hanamura B for 8 minutes to win because you're communicating with each other about flankers and missing enemies and everyone laughs at the other team for choking.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 24, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wildtortilla posted:

Do her bomb attacks ilexplode if they hit someone dead on?

Hell yeah they do.

https://youtu.be/Oa4kHdgd5Q0

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Macaluso posted:

There was a Widowmaker me and my team were dealing with last night named Grover and long story short I hope he dies in real life

I am this salty whiner itt

Let's just say he's camping because his house fell down and then lit itself on fire.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Atoramos posted:

Also my wife chain-crashes after a bit of play with 'Rendering device has been lost', but she's running the same build I am with a 760. Latest drivers. Tried reinstalling Windows 10 last night, but no dice. She's pulling her hair out and I'm not sure what to suggest (I'll be getting a new card once the 1080's are actually available, so she can try swapping for my card then...)

Check out the card/computer case and see if it is full of dust bunnies. If not, blast it with air anyway because unless you're running HEPA filtration and regularly clean it out there's gonna be dust. With a 760 that's a good amount of time if it's been untouched since installation, and if she's got any kind of pets it's probably all dusted up and unable to cool properly.

There's a possibility there's a driver issue or your PSU is being really strange but if her computer runs fine after being shut off for a bit and then stays fine until she's playing the game then it's almost certainly a heat issue causing the card to freak out. Did/does she get weird graphics glitches elsewhere? Unconstrained textures, weird shading and staticy poo poo, stuff like that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

E: /\ try playing Dva like you'd play Reaper or maybe a flanky McCree, it's fun as hell if you are willing to take the risk in getting up to point blank range because her damage really ramps up. It's good enough to be able to boost into the air at a flying pharah and kill her as you're falling past her.

Atoramos posted:

Fully cleaned out the PC last night, along with a fresh Windows 10 install and yesterday's released drivers from Nvidia. She doesn't see any other graphics glitches, and has a fine time with every other game we play including Oculus games like Eve: Valkyrie. She tried playing on the lowest settings, still sees the problem. Is there a recommended lightweight app to log the GPU temperatures? Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

I think stuff like Rainmeter is good for that but a) I haven't used it in more than 10 years and b) I'm not sure about logging, just real time monitoring. However, if i doesn't glitch out while running stuff on the Rift then it almost certainly can't be heat since I'm almost positive OW is less intensive than Rift stuff by a substantial margin, not to mention OW is insanely well optimized (I was running it on my old starcraft 2-era machine with a solid 60+ fps albeit with low settings) for not-so-new hardware. I don't know offhand how to roll back a graphics driver install with the Geforce Experience software they use now but I'd give that a whirl, with a few other people seeing issues under the new drivers that might be it.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 24, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Atoramos posted:

Nah, this issue was around when she first tried playing in Closed Beta, so she's seen it on numerous drivers now. And considering I'm playing on a computer with the same card in it, I'm super confused.

Oh that's strange, then. I guess wait and see with the friend's card. Bummer.

fadam posted:

The BAMF belt buckle is literally the greatest, best thing Blizzard has ever done.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The best way to counter a bastion is a Genji because a lot of them will just switch to widowmaker out of shame when they get shot to pieces with their own drat bullets.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

exquisite tea posted:

Any idea why my frames are locked to 70 if I go with the display-based option in video settings? It doesn't bother me at all, it just seems like a peculiar number.

If I had to guess it probably means your display is running at 70 Hz, and when you choose the display-based fps it sets your max frame rate to match that of the display (or a multiple of it).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zzulu posted:

can you imagine what this man looks like without his armor on?

Look at it this way: at least Rob Liefeld learned how to draw feet.

E: I got the sorry sorry mei voice line out of like my third loot box and I couldn't be happier.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Eonwe posted:

i havent actually gotten one legendary skin yet since launch

You get some of you preordered the origins edition but they're kinda crap. The S76 one is all right because it doesn't change his voice so it's like this 30 year old guy who smoked turpentine-dipped coffin nails since he was 10. The Pharah one is some desert camo stuff and the Widow one is a skin for the most useless character in the game.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Reaper's skin is amazing because he's a regular dude that's ~~~~edgy as gently caress~~~~ and turns into shadows and poo poo!

BTW reaper talk: he's not that hard to play. Always be flanking and abuse your E to come from unexpected angles. Don't aim for heads, but do shoot from close range. Shooting from middle range doesn't do good damage but you'll always hit a few pellets so it's ok to finish someone off.

Don't use your Shift to charge head on, that's dumb and will result in your dead. Yes not even if you have ult, if a team sees a Reaper charging them they're just going to spread and headshot you as soon as you pop out. E to a weird angle then drop onto them instead.

Basically just learn to use E, otherwise just play McCree.

Oh that's right, Reaper has that "What a CODBLOPS character named Reyes would look like" skin. Same voice thing as S76, shame they didn't have him voiced by Luis Guzman or Benicio Del Toro for it.

Comedy option naturally being John Leguizamo reprising his Chi Chi Rodriguez role.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hugoon Chavez posted:

gently caress I forgot something for Reaper!

You can animation cancel out of your reload by doing a melee attack as soon as he drops his shotguns. This ends up being about as fast as reloading normally, but with a melee attack, so make it a reflex and you can still damage someone at close range (which you should be at, since Reaper) while recharging your death sticks.

Ok that's it.

Bastion automatically reloads his Gatling gun when switching out of turret mode. If you're playing him like a shoot and scoot character it's good to know because you can just dump a full mag and then leave. When you set up elsewhere you have a full mag again!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

objects in mirror posted:

People want to win and you just have to nudge them in that direction.

Tell that to the sniper in every game sitting above the point and trying to snipe 6 people off the objective, missing an entire magazine of uncharged shots, and just freezing when they send a genji up there to deal with her.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think all the raving about Lucio is getting him a little overrated and folks are diving into really really really really dumb situations with him thinking of all the goonsay.txt poo poo about how good he is. Yeah, he's good, but if you are seeing the enemy team focusing your tank to the exclusion of all else maybe you are going to need the better single-target healing from Mercy so that your tank can soak up enough damage to serve as a proper tank for your team. Granted, switching heroes to adapt to the realities of the fight is a pretty important part of the game, but if your tank or your healer is the only person willing to switch (and nobody else is a healer, and nobody else wants to tank) there's a problem with the players in blue, not the ones in red.

Pubbies are garbage, but poo poo a lot of goons have managed to be completely new at this game too and while it can get a little frustrating slamming your dick in the "everyone is mei or soldier except you and you can't be both tank and healer at all times so well you can't even cap Numbani A" garage door, it's probably going to help everyone out to a) provide helpful, clear advice over voice chat including announcing when you need healing or when you see flankers and b) just leaving and finding another group if you're getting steamrolled because what little MMR data they have is probably throwing the outputs wildly off and resulting in your team of babby heroes getting dumped into a match of people who played in their premade clique every day of the beta from getting off the school bus to mom delivering the nuggets for dinner.

Fake edit: also, sometimes waiting for everyone to spawn is a loving terrible idea, mostly in KOTH maps because that percentage ticks up nonstop. If you've got 3 up and 3 down just fight conservatively around the point until everyone else is back. Don't sit in spawn and let them castle themselves in on the point, get in there and keep them mobile. Your grenades or rockets or bullets could mean the difference between winning in OT and losing in OT because they managed to get all camped up in a corner.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dias posted:

Mercy is a better Attack/Defend healer, but the reason why we talk a lot about Lúcio is that if you're not grouping with competent people, what's gonna happen more often than not is you'll be healing pixies or a tank by its lonesome while nothing happens and your team gets mowed down by turrets while you're sniped down or ganked by Reapers. I like him better in Payload and KOTH too, although in the second I kinda wish we also had a Mercy very often.

And "wait for the team" isn't WAIT IN THE SPAWN WITH YOUR rear end IN PLACE UNTIL EVERYONE SPAWNS. It's "don't push into the point/enemies without the rest of the team". Sometimes you have to do that too, because of OT, but engaging safely is a smart idea if you're healthy. It's just that you get WAY too many unwinnable Egypt/Hanamuras where everyone walks straight into bullets one by one and then bitch about Bastion.

:agreed: but even Lucio needs a team who is going to take advantage of the heals while also doing useful things in the map. Just following a team of imbeciles around and healing them in their idiocy isn't going to get any more done than pocketing a sniper.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Your Computer posted:

Has there been any more info on MMR since release? If/how it works, etc. (for solo queue)?

On one hand I suppose I'm in a pretty low rank because people still don't know stuff like "stand on the point to capture it", but on the other hand I keep getting put up against people who are a_seagull level good that stomp all over everyone else. I've been up against more Widowmakers than I can count who should be in tournaments and not matched up against us idiots :(

Is it something that might level off after time? I'm playing 90% solo queue and enjoy it when the match ups are fair (skill-wise).

A lack of coordination can make things look a lot worse than they are. Sometimes you can't just brawl halfway to the point because some enemies need to get killed NOW while others can be mopped up later. If you have a Reinhardt as tank for example, widowmaker isn't going to be a priority because hopefully everyone's using the shield. However, motherfuckers like Winston or Bastion need to be focused because of their ability to break up a team and melt your shield, respectively.

Sometimes you will need two or three Pharahs to crack a bastion+Mercy+Reinhardt+Torbjorn camp. Otherwise it's difficult to put enough damage downrange.

E: Directional sound is insanely important in this game, holy poo poo. You are hosed if you have a 2.1 dumpster special or refuse to get modern headphones. You're so hosed it actively harms your team because it means you don't know where anything is unless you can see it and that's where you miss the flanking reaper prepping for a death blossom. poo poo can go downhill fast, losing 4 people because The Helen Keller Orchestra back there didn't hear footsteps is a prime example.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 26, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cock hero flux posted:

Yeah but you can just pick 76 and be a guy who has both a gun and a heal so that when nobody picks Lucio or Mercy you've still got something.

Actually in that situation you just want to pick Mei and icewall your team into a quick loss to get the shitters to ragequit. Bonus points if you have the sorry voice to go with it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MacheteZombie posted:

When playing DVa if you fly in, kill 1-2 people, distract the rest of their team, pop your matrix then fly off while your team picks off the distracted team, you've done your job.

This is all it takes to be effective with dva. Reinhardt is good when facing the enemy lines at range, Roadhog is good facing the enemy lines at point blank range, Winston is good when within the enemy's grouping, and Dva is good when behind/beside the enemy. Zarya is a bit different because she mitigates burst damage with her shield and becomes more powerful by doing so. I'd say she's on the brawling side of the brawl/harass scale.

Reinhardt, Roadhog, and Zarya all have some form of regen or self-healing function whereas Winston and Dva have approach/escape skills on short cooldowns, which really should be emphasized in terms of what strengths people should be playing to when picking them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nehru the Damaja posted:

And that ult has killed me all of once from Stress Test 2 til now, and even then owing only to cars being occasionally unreliable cover. Considering how insanely over-represented D.Va is in pub games, that's a pretty bad record

It really only kills idiots. It's a lot like the Zarya ult or the Mei ult or the Zenyatta ult in the sense that it facilitates kills or capture/progress by getting the enemy team to leave their position. Take Volskaya B for example - lobbing a dva bomb into the point means the enemy team is either heading back toward their spawn, headed around the corners to either side, running toward your team, or getting blown up. Rarely can they use the thing in the middle to LOS it because it's usually airborne over the point when it blows. So the mech blows up and the enemy is now out of the point and likely split up. Your team followed the mech in and is now in a good position to pick the enemy off as they try coming back in.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ddraig posted:

Salty as gently caress right now. Playing as Pharah on Route 66, I barraged and wiped the healer, the tank, the enemy pharah and their hanzo and allowed us to make a push onto the payload.

What was the actual POTG? Reinhardt in a tunnel swinging like a retard.

GG Blizzard.

Playing the objective gives you bonus points because it contests/pushes the cart, so it's possible Reinhardt was within range to do that while killing people. It's a pretty objective way of looking at how beneficial certain actions are.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Turtlicious posted:

I wish I remembered the Goons name, but there was one guy in Discord who was an awesome coach, and turned 5 scrambling retards into a tight team in 3 games, and it was the most amazing thing to watch. If I ever see that guy again, I'm going to queue with him every. god. drat. time.

this is partially because I am a follower not a leader.

tcjimbo

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Luigi Thirty posted:

it's called HAWKEN

A game which is a lot of fun but has kind of fallen off the face of the planet.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Samara posted:

I cannot get good with Reaper. gently caress me

Not if you can't teamwipe with reaper.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Verranicus posted:

What is tick rate and why are nerds whining about it on the official forums?

Tick rate is the rate at which the server updates data, I.e. the "frame rate" of the telemetry.

Nerds are whining about it because they refuse to accept that the reason they can't hit poo poo is that they're loving bad.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

chumbler posted:

Mercy's pistol honestly might be my favorite gun in the game.

:agreed: I've taken a liking to demolishing Widows because they're too loving dumb to find cover until they're being run over by the snot bus. The projectile travel time means I've gone back to healing the Reinhardt before I hear "bip bip bip bip BEEP" and I've killed the jackass.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Harlock posted:

100 wins, what do I do now with my life

Well I mean there's nothing else, really. Roll credits as it were.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think "counterplay" should be word filtered to "mutual JO action"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

jon joe posted:

I really like playing Zarya but drat it her post-game cards are bullshit. Did 10,000 damage to the enemy team? Don't care. 8 billion objective kills? Nope, you're not junkrat! You popped 20 shields on your allies and blocked 2000 damage? WHOAH NELLY THAT DESERVES A CARD ALRIGHT!

Almost like you're only getting positive reinforcement for things that conform to the role of a tank

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm realizing that hitting a sniper with Kenyatta's discord orb is usually enough to make them head for cover asap. It's the best thing ever because you can just duck out, hit E, and pop back behind cover. If you're using voice comms you can then be like "sniper up there, I got an orb on them" and if your team is quick enough with a winston or a dva they'll peep that orb indicator and head up there to ruin the sniper's day. Sure the orb only lasts for a few seconds once LOS is broken but the typical sniper doesn't do much other than duck back in a doorway or behind a corner along the same walkway so lighting them up once is enough to know where they are for a pretty long time.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fadam posted:

You guys are right, the gay character definitely isn't the butch dykey lesbian.

Butch I could see in a really tortured "I don't actually know any butch lesbians" sort of way but Zarya is definitely someone who has mainlined so many Rocky 4 montages worth of steroids she probably sees other people as potential lifting buddies at the absolute most.

Reaper is clearly the gay one, with his "DEATH CUMS" schtick.

e: also if the iris is codespeak for robot buttholes then we're going places.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oneiros posted:

So the weekly brawl (on PS4 at least) is Genji & Hanzo only, fast cool downs, Hanamura map only.

What sad, pathetic weaboo at Blizzard thought that would be appropriate for a week long special mode.

Probably the one huffing corruption farts out of Metzen's impossibly-worn chair.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Man, it would be so nice to have M/KB functionality on my PS4, but having to drop $300 for that XIM4 and a decent mouse just to dunk scrubs is a lot.

If you got gud at games and life you could get a decent PC and dunk scrubs in overwatch on that.

E: I'm really taking a liking to just massacring drat near everything/one as Soldier. It's kind of dull in that you don't need to do much other that point and click, occasionally sprint to disengage, and pop biotic field when the healer is elsewhere, but goddamn he's like the offense version of Lucio.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fadam posted:

Can we put a moratorium on solo queue complaints? If you hate solo queue, don't solo queue. Like a billion people are playing this game, it's not hard to find 5 other people to play with.

To borrow a phrase coined in the depths of the Payday 2 thread, solo queue is The Pubstove and you're going to get burned touching it no matter how many times you forget.

E: it isn't so much that playing with goons is an instant win, but that everyone's able to share in the hilarity that is a MMR fuckup pitting 6 fat drunks against some junior high after-school program's ritalin-sponsored A-level tryhard team. Yeah they've managed to somehow float a bastion-mercy-reinhardt camp out of spawn on Zenyatta's blissed-out back but you all buckle the gently caress down with 6 Meis and drag it into overtime laughing the whole way.

You don't get that with The Pubstove and it makes all the difference.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 1, 2016