Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I mostly play QP, and if no one else picks a healer I'll usually grab Lucio because he's fun. If anyone complains I just say 'He's not my main, but no one else was healing. Feel free to step up and I'll switch'. The people that complain never will, the decent people just switch themselves without bitching at you.

I ended up in a super chill 5 stack last night just through the 'keep team' button. No one bitched about anyone's choices, and when we lost an objective in overtime after completely shutting out the other team for the clock, one guy got on voice just to say 'It's ok, we held them down really well until that one slip, let's regroup and we'll hold them off the second point, I know we have this'. We went around a half-dozen games before people had to leave, it was fun and great to have an almost full team of just nice people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Have people rezzed with temporary HP that decays over 30s or so. If they don't get a health pack or healing in that time, they'll die again when the HP runs down. So either they have to worry about getting to healing, or Mercy has heal them instead of zipping off immediately.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I would like the tire to have more health and also be fast thank you in advance blizzard

Instead of a tire, Junkrat should launch an ulting Mercy he controls for the duration of Valkyrie.

At the end she explodes.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Not Overwatch, but it drives me crazy that Twitter is the way we are now communicating so any reasonable thought gets hacked into fortune-cookie segments you have to parse through like you were reading semaphore.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Leal posted:

Maybe they should build twitter on a better engine, you know it would be so easy. I bet they refuse to do it cause they're just lazy and greedy.
:goonsay:

I don't know about the engine, but the multiplayer mode is garbage and they should be ashamed to have released it in the current state.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The only thing I really hate about Symmetra is when she sticks all her turrets around a spawn point in FFA and murders you on arrival. Or you drag yourself out to get casually picked off by someone passing by.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Just play him in FFA then where you can Hanzo to your hearts content and no one can bitch at you and if other people pick him you just get the joy of killing Hanzo as well! Bonus!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Kaubocks posted:

i'm so loving mad about that symm skin

it's so good, it honestly might be my favorite skin in the game right now, i'm insanely jealous that characters i actually play don't get skins that good

Yea, if I land that skin I guess I'm a Sym main.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Can you pop Junkrat's concussion mines while he's throwing them? I think I just did this with Reinhardt's hammer.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

World Famous W posted:

Am I really the only person excited by viking torb?

No, I think Viking Torb is great and I hope I get it so that I can play Endless with him.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

About once a month I play QP if I'm too sleepy to play comp and I still don't understand why anyone plays this. Every match is a cluster gently caress and a disaster.

No one gives me poo poo for being a garbage player who picks Torbjorn. :shrug:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The nice thing about Junkenstein is I guess I am getting to learn how to play Ana, and no one gets to complain because they all slampicked the DPS and stuck me with that choice.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The basic Symmetra skin also has combat heels (also true for Mercy and Widowmaker) and I think it's fair to talk about that and if its a good/bad thing. I think you can make legitimate complaints about stuff like that, but I am kind of confused because the complaint here doesn't seem to be 'why is Symmetra wearing crazy heels' as much as 'the proportions on this are wrong'. Which, yea, they are, but this is true for tons of stuff and just across character design in general. Take a look at Reinhardt - canonically he's supposed to be a huge dude who is basically just wearing rad armor, but if you tried to apply a proportion sketch to his character model it would be super hosed up. Lucio's legs are really weird if you try to work out what's going on inside his space pants. Pharah's calves (and ankles in particular) are all out of whack for someone wearing the armor she is apparently has - they are way too skinny. Broadly speaking, Blizzard tends to treat armor and equipment as part of the character's natural profile and not really layered on top, which works fine for characters like Soldier and Genji, but less well for others. And it's not really that they're terrible at proportions as much as they have deliberately chosen this sort of art style where the characters are going to be more stylized toward their roles and less realistically designed and portrayed.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

No Wave posted:

Where does reaper keep his shotguns anyways?????

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Last night we were playing Hanamura on defense, and our Orisa decided to set up inside the A point with the giant bell, while the Bastion set up outside overlooking the rock in the middle (ie, not in her shield). I was completely baffled because even in QP I have never seen people just blatantly ignore the gate choke, but I was playing Mercy and couldn't herd everyone to reposition before we started. Obviously the attackers just walked right through the gate, murdered Bastion because he wasn't behind any shields, and capped the point easily.

In a second game I had another Bastion set up directly outside one of the attacker's side exits, but facing their main gate. I think he was planning on nailing them from the flank as they came out? Only he completely failed to notice that half their team was at that side exit and therefore came out directly behind him. I was trying to get him to move but again, herding cats, and I couldn't get him to pay attention before the game started and he was immediately killed.

Sometimes you just can't do anything about it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Every time I play McCree I experience some sort of flashback fugue to playing pistols-only maps in Goldeneye with my friends. But rather than significantly improving my aim based on that experience, I mostly just forget to use any of his other powers

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let her use it on teammates, but rather than waking up healed, they die at the end of the duration.

It's lore appropriate!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I have taken to waiting to pick last on the team, and if someone else picks either healing or tank I'll do the other one. If we get five picks and its all dps, then there's barely any point in me picking one or the other so I'm just going to pick whatever the hell I feel like and the team can faceplant until someone else switches into a useful role. I'd rather lose a match dinking around as a character I like than having to lose while scooting around as Mercy trying to keep five idiot DPS alive.

One game we had 5 dps and me vs a 2-2-2 team and boy did that go exactly like you'd expect. At least it was fast.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

CaptainScraps posted:

My friends are terrible at this game. Just awful. Like "Offense Hanzo" and "Reinhardt + Bastion on the payload is the best strategy" awful.

You at least got one person playing a tank and another person paying some attention to where they are, so that's already way ahead of my team for half the games.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I forget if I suggested this before, but you could have the Mercy Rez restore people to full health, but with an associated debuff that does a DOT which gets removed if you receive a certain amount of healing - either from a player or from a healthpack. So if Mercy rezzes you and then jets, you have a finite time before the DOT will kill you again, and so either someone has to stick around to heal you some amount, or you have to get to a health pack yourself. I think that's reasonable because it still lets Mercy basically dive for a rez knowing that she's going to get killed, but is ok with that trade if its a key moment - ie, tank on the point, bringing back someone with their ult up, etc.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

No Wave posted:

I don't think the community is showing the proper level of gratitude towards their Mercies.

Do you think that the setup timer is long enough to check my teammates posting history and determine who should get healing accordingly?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

World Famous W posted:

Rein short leaves us all asking one question: Orisa sword when?
She's only a month old, Effi knows better than to give a little kid sharp edges.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I realize that OW uses those colors across the board, but having them on orbs does make it look an awful lot like she's just swiping his power set.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I'm looking forward to Moira's release so there will be two weeks where I don't have to play healer because no one else will.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I saw a guy do that in a game and I was blown away, it was like magic. I can barely launch myself in a reliable direction with the first one.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

pzy posted:

There is nothing more satisfying than arcing a conc mine in the air and killing a flying Pharah.

Ok I take that back - Lobbing grenades at her and killing her during her ult is better

I was playing on Eichenwalde as Pharah and when I heard a Junkrat ult I took off thinking I would be safe. But he steered the tire up to the top of the castle and then up the wall so it launched right up to me for a perfect kill. It was such a smooth play that I didn't even feel mad, sometimes you get murdered and can't help but appreciate how well it was done.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Replace all the characters with training bots in their outfits.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I was just thinking that I had never actually tried hitting melee on Reinhardt and wondering what happened. They should give him a melee attack where he clocks people with a beer stein.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

1v1Limited is a pretty rad mode and I am glad that the new system means it shows up in the rotation every few days.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I can't imagine that you can actually practice stuff like using Sombra's ult in QP because no one is going to coordinate or follow up with it properly.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Snazzy Frocks posted:

just play ffa and learn to avoid 1v1s and seek out fights in progress to steal the kills

I agree, Sombra is fun in FFA.

Sometimes I play Symmetra instead and lure people into a turret trap. People are remarkably persistent about trying to crack it and get back at you.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It's me, I am the bad Moira who gets tunnel vision on tossing orbs and leeching life and lets the tank die. I got called out on it in game last night and tried to correct my behavior. It's just really hard not to sling orbs at reds. :( I think that Mercy is my best healer just because I can't really get distracted from doing that too much.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The worst is when you get a gold for objective time and it's only for 12 seconds or something.

Or when you have real healers and Soldier gets the gold for it. Then you know people are just a loving mess.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Maybe it's bad because it doesn't shatter the block and send her broken corpse reeling like it ought to?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I assume that your QP rank and your Comp rank are kept separate though? It would make sense for people who play seriously in comp but want to be able to QP drunk or with characters they never normally use to not be matched against people at their comp ranking.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Keep Hanzo's arrows at their current speed, but give him the ability to steer them in flight so he can guide them into targets and curve them around obstacles.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

yergacheffe posted:

I always thought McCree having a flashbang was funny. You've got this stereotypical cowboy with a stetson, boots with spurs, a six shooter, and of course not let's forget the most iconic item of all: a flashbang. I'd love to know if Blizzard ever tried to explain why this fits with the *~lore~*.

It actually kind of works if you think of them as quarter sticks of dynamite

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Scatter arrow is an ok concept, but it's such a garbage implementation. They way that you might use it, to shoot blind, never seems to work properly and I have been standing in a room dozens of times while Hanzos arrows bounce around and fail to hit me. But then you bounce it off the floor to kill someone right in front of you. They should set it so that the arrows don't start doing damage until X feet after the first bounce, but only if they also do something about the first part of that problem.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

When Mei gets PotG in Yeti Hunter it's always screwed up, not even killing blow or anything. I got it once and it was the 30s running around before I killed the Yeti. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I got Beachrat and Hack Frost in my free lootboxes, a Christmas miracle! :toot: