Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

People talk a lot about making cakes and food and very fancy desserts, but no one talks about making cookies. Cookies are very good, and easy to make, they don't have to be for a special occasion, they're just a cookie. Cookies are made with sugar flour butter eggs and other things to flavor them.

Here's how to make a cookie:
Put the butter and the sugar in at the same time, and beat it until its fluffy
Put in the egg
Put in the everything else
Grab some of the dough and throw it on a pan and bake it

Well that's it, anyone can make a cookie, its a fun simple treat for the whole family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is it possible to make marbled cookies the way you make marbled cakes? Is it even desirable?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

RandomPauI posted:

Is it possible to make marbled cookies the way you make marbled cakes? Is it even desirable?

Make sugar cookie dough.
Split dough in half
Mix cocoa powder into one half
Roll out chocolate dough and original
Lay one rolled sheet over the other
Roll up the two together so you have a spiral pattern
Beat up to randomly shape layers
Cut cookie portions and bake

There. Now you have marbled cookies.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Crazyeyes posted:

Make sugar cookie dough.
Split dough in half
Mix cocoa powder into one half
Roll out chocolate dough and original
Lay one rolled sheet over the other
Roll up the two together so you have a spiral pattern
Beat up to randomly shape layers
Cut cookie portions and bake

There. Now you have marbled cookies.

This seems like a good idea, but I think you need to make a chocolate chip cookie batter and mix it in with a peanut butter cookie batter.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm going to make snickerdoodles tonight.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

There's a cookie thread in gbs right now.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

The Bananana posted:

Snickerdoodle cookies rock.

...and so, in conclusion, you have my blessings, OP

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Got too busy to make snickerdoodles tonight. deffo gonna make them tomorrow though.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

My favorite cookies are pfeffernusse and sugar cookies with some cardamom put in there. Delish.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Rotten Cookies posted:

My favorite cookies are pfeffernusse and sugar cookies with some cardamom put in there. Delish.

Really? You don't like rotten cookies?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I've always wondered what apple cinnamon cookies would taste like. I bet they would taste good. Somebody go make apple cinnamon cookies and then report back.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I've always wondered what apple cinnamon cookies would taste like. I bet they would taste good. Somebody go make apple cinnamon cookies and then report back.

I'll make apple cinnamon cookies after I'm done eating the snickerdoodles.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

My wife makes bacon chocolate chip cookies pretty regularly and they are awesome.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Didn't make snicker doodles tonight either. 10 hour days are loving killer, yo. Tomorrow is a 9 hour day though. A whole extra hour to make snicker doodles.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love me some cookies. My mom's peanut butter cookie recipe is the best I've ever had.

Here's some cookie wisdom I've learned over the years:

•Use a disher to portion your cookies. Equal size cookies means even cooking and consistent results. I use size 32 and 40 dishers.
•When adding flour, stop the mixer as soon the bulk of the flour in incorporated. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to mix in the rest if needed. Overmixing will give you flat cookies
•Brown the butter (or half it at least) to add even more flavor to your recipe. You may need to add a bit more liquid to make up for the water that cooks away when you brown the butter
•Most chocolate chip cookie doughs will benefit from a day in the fridge before being baked.
•I dish all my cookies onto a silpat as soon as the dough is done and then chill it. Then it's easy to toss 6 or 8 dough balls on a pan and bake.
•When you think your butter and sugar is creamed enough, cream it some more.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

•When you think your butter and sugar is creamed enough, cream it some more.

The most important advice

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I brown the butter and like to go 100% brown sugar instead of half and half on the traditional chocolate chip cookie recipe for a more toffee-like flavor.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I'd like to contribute a pro tip to this thread aswell:

•dip your cookie in chilled whole milk

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
For some reason I was surprised to find out alcohol cookies were a thing.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I'm doing it, guys... I'm baking cookies right. Mother loving. Now.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I made a mistake.... :eng99:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's twice as many cookies as I'd ever attempt in one sheet pan

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Noted.

In my defense, I really wanted some cookies.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
i'm gonna make cookies on monday, or as we call it over here, monday

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
i mean biscuits

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Learn from my mistakes, redweird

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

Noted.

They look perfectly edible so you got that going for you

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The Bananana posted:

Noted.

That's fair. You should definitely eat the singular cookie you now have.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I finally made the snickerdoodles.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Control Volume posted:

I finally made the snickerdoodles.

Nice.

Let us know how they are.

I'm gonna try a mulligan, via chocolate chip cookies this Saturday.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Theyre fuckin delicious but next time I think I'm going to cut back on the cream of tartar a small bit since they're slightly too tangy, need to find a nice spot between the soda/tartar ratio I have now and just straight up using baking powder

e: on further research it looks like the ratio was just baking powder without cornstarch

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 30, 2016

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Last night I made the Nestle Toll House chocolate chip cookies from the back of the bag of chocolate chips, but I browned the butter and used only brown sugar. They are super good.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Congratulations on your probably incredibly rich cookies

Vixenella
Mar 24, 2009
My grandmother loves Lemon Earl Grey shortbread cookies and is requesting them often now... We first bought her some from a local store but they seem to be out of stock. Does anyone have a reliable yummy recipe?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

•Brown the butter (or half it at least) to add even more flavor to your recipe. You may need to add a bit more liquid to make up for the water that cooks away when you brown the butter
•Most chocolate chip cookie doughs will benefit from a day in the fridge before being baked.

CI's Brown Butter Chocolate Chip cookies are the best cookies I've ever had. I don't know why I never thought of just doing the brown butter trick to any cookies, thanks man. As for chilling cookies, you're on the right track about portioning them onto a silpat and then chilling them but what I do saves space. I chill the dough a little and then portion them into cookie balls. Then put them back into the mixing bowl and chill that in the fridge. I made a big mistake chilling my dough completely as one big mass and trying to ball them then. That poo poo was like chiseling concrete.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

CI's Brown Butter Chocolate Chip cookies are the best cookies I've ever had. I don't know why I never thought of just doing the brown butter trick to any cookies, thanks man. As for chilling cookies, you're on the right track about portioning them onto a silpat and then chilling them but what I do saves space. I chill the dough a little and then portion them into cookie balls. Then put them back into the mixing bowl and chill that in the fridge. I made a big mistake chilling my dough completely as one big mass and trying to ball them then. That poo poo was like chiseling concrete.

Yeah I portion them before I chill them. I just chill them on a sheet pan and then move them to something more compact.

mmmmmcookies

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Croatoan posted:

CI's Brown Butter Chocolate Chip cookies are the best cookies I've ever had.

They are loving delicious. If you want to further up your cookie game (and put off cookie-eating even longer), Serious Eats' refinement of a full day's rest, rending the dough apart like you're an animal, and smashing it back together yields worthwhile improvements.

But I believe cookies are a right now food, and CI's recipe is already pushing it.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Croatoan posted:

CI's Brown Butter Chocolate Chip cookies are the best cookies I've ever had. I don't know why I never thought of just doing the brown butter trick to any cookies, thanks man.

They are pretty tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
Alton Brown's "They Chewy" has been my go to for years, and people never stop raving about it when we bring some over:
http://altonbrown.com/the-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookie-recipe/

Not quite instant gratification since they need a couple hours in the fridge before baking, but they're good, so no biggie.