Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Either.

Half the dough before you put in the chai and try both.

Baking is a series of attempts and failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
look at a snickerdoodle recipe, which is a sugar cookie with cinnamon, and look at spice quantities

split your batch into, say, two or three and add different amounts of spices to each minibatch

try rolling in sugar + spices, try just putting the spices in the dough, try both

Scudworth posted:

Baking is a series of attempts and failures.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

The Bananana posted:

Toss that stuff into the mix, or should I just roll the as intended balls of cookie dough in the chai mixture just before baking?

I've always mixed spices in with the flour. It's too strong for rolling on the outside (you also won't have enough to do the whole batch).

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Mix some with confectioner's sugar at the end and sprinkle it on top.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

50 dozen cookies this year. 8 varieties of cookies. Tonight is the trip to get the giant bag of flour, bag of sugar, and a poo poo ton of butter. Will probably make the dough for ~6 dozen tonight and freeze that poo poo.

Let's fuckin' do iiiiiiiit

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rotten Cookies posted:

50 dozen cookies this year. 8 varieties of cookies. Tonight is the trip to get the giant bag of flour, bag of sugar, and a poo poo ton of butter. Will probably make the dough for ~6 dozen tonight and freeze that poo poo.

Let's fuckin' do iiiiiiiit

Take picutes?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anyone ever use whole grain?

I have a bunch of soft white I'd like to grind into cookies this holiday season.

/e- from this it just says sub 1:1 but I cannot believe that! https://wholegrainscouncil.org/blog/2015/04/expert-shares-tips-baking-whole-grains

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 30, 2018

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Hey baking goons I want to get back into baking things like cookies and brownies, but in terms of ingredients I dont want to use butter/margerine/lard, i want to use only brown sugar or honey and not as much as is called for, and whole wheat pastry flour. Yes I want to make less tasty but healthier versions of recipes for me cause I dont eat white bread or butter or refined sugars anymore. I tried this recipe http://overtimecook.com/2015/01/28/oatmeal-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookies-without-butter-margarine/ and white it tasted okay they were more like muffin tops than cookies. Reading this thread showed me that I mixed the dough too thoroughly and I didnt chill it. Any tips for baking with these sucky conditions would be lovely like what is a good substitute for butter.

Macksy fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 1, 2018

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Macksy posted:

Hey baking goons I want to get back into baking things like cookies and brownies, but in terms of ingredients I dont want to use butter/margerine/lard, i want to use only brown sugar or honey and not as much as is called for, and whole wheat pastry flour. Yes I want to make less tasty but healthier versions of recipes for me cause I dont eat white bread or butter or refined sugars anymore. I tried this recipe http://overtimecook.com/2015/01/28/oatmeal-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookies-without-butter-margarine/ and white it tasted okay they were more like muffin tops than cookies. Reading this thread showed me that I mixed the dough too thoroughly and I didnt chill it. Any tips for baking with these sucky conditions would be lovely like what is a good substitute for butter.

Well, what sort of fats are you comfortable using? Lard is very healthy, so I'm not really sure what the upgrade from there would be.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Cardboard

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Palm oil is right out, if only for environmental reasons.

Avocado could work. Not avocado oil, the avocado flesh itself.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Macksy posted:

Any tips for baking with these sucky conditions would be lovely like what is a good substitute for butter.

I've made several batches of chocolate chip cookies subbing whole wheat flour entirely and no one could see or taste any difference. I've also reduced the sugar in said cookies by up to ⅓ without issue (These were not side by side comparisons though, so there is probably a difference, just not big enough to notice).

Butter substitutes though... Probably obvious, but anything that relies on butter as a main flavor component will come out tasting like the substitution. Structurally though, I've used coconut oil or vegetable shortening with decent success in recipes. I was once told that using mashed avocado in place of butter worked great in recipes, so not knowing any better at the time, I tried it in chocolate chip cookies. They came out very moist and cakey (also green) so I chalked it up to an interesting experiment and haven't tried it in any other recipes. (Thinking about it now though, it probably works out pretty well in quick breads or muffins, maybe even some cakes.)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So make chocolate cookies to mask the green?

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

RandomPauI posted:

So make chocolate cookies to mask the green?

Sorry, you must've posted the avocado suggestion while I was writing mine so I missed it. The main issue I had with replacing the butter in cookies with mashed avocado is that it changed the texture quite drastically - instead of dough it was more like a thick batter. It baked into something like puffy blobs of pancake, instead of flat, crispy on the outside, fudgy cookies that the recipe usually yields. I didn't understand at the time that this is because avocado doesn't melt into a clear oil, and also has a much higher water content than butter (which is why I think it'd work much better in things that are cakey to begin with).

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just remembered, I have cookie mix somewhere in the fridge. I didn't want to mix it up with a different thing I was making so I stashed it there. This was back in September.

Its all dry ingredients so it should still be good right?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Are cookies a remedy for bronchitis?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Only one way to find out!:science:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Any good brownie or cookie recipes that you folks like that call for baking chocolate? I’ve got a backlog.

EDIT: also, how do you handle baking w two sheets? Where do you place them?

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 4, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

Any good brownie or cookie recipes that you folks like that call for baking chocolate? I’ve got a backlog.

I love these crinkle cookies. They get a crispy, almost leathery (but in a good way) texture on the outside and are chewy and moist on the inside. And they’re pretty.

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/chocolate-crinkles/941e22b3-9a48-4fb1-bdb0-27479e76d484

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Boywhiz88 posted:

Evenly-spaced racks (like if your oven has five rack positions, one on slot 2 and one on slot 4), and swap them as well as rotate them front-to-back halfway through the baking time.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://thefoodcharlatan.com/the-best-double-chocolate-cookies-recipe/

Made these once and they were very good.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

Boywhiz88 posted:

I've been struggling with this. My landlord got a new oven for me and while it's a big step up for the old one in a lot of ways, it's impossible to have two sheets in there at once. They'll fit alright, but no matter how staggered they are they always block the heat from the bottom element from reaching the thermoregulator thing on the top, causing the oven to immediately start rocketing up to 500+ degrees.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

Made some chocolate crinkle cookies yesterday and baby, they're delicious

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I FINALLY HAVE IT, MY MOM'S OATMEAL CHOCOLATE MnM COOKIE RECIPE, aka Daddy Cookies, because she made them for Daddy, who very politely allowed us to have some as well.

Oatmeal Granola MnM Chocolate Chip Cookies

INGREDIENTS (in US volume)
2 sticks margarine
1 cup White Sugar
1 cup DARK brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups AP flour
half a teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon baking POWDER
1 teaspoon baking SODA.
2 1/2 Cups of Old Fashioned Oats, with extra to adjust dough consistency as needed

1/2 bag of Dark Chocolate baking chips
1/2 bag Mini baking MnMs (or the regular baking kind, depends on what you can get)
1 cup chopped walnuts

OR
Dried fruit and nuts in any sensible combination, but then they're not Daddy Cookies, and who wants that?

DIRECTIONS:

Cream Together 2 sticks of margarine, 1 cup white sugar, 1 cup dark brown sugar. Once creamed together, add 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, mix to incorporate.

In another bowl, mix 2 cups AP flour, half a teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon baking POWDER, and 1 teaspoon baking SODA. 2 1/2 cups of FINELY CHOPPED old fashioned oats (To chop, just make 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats, add to blender, blitz a few times till thoroughly chopped but not powderized. Or hit it with a knife a bunch, I don't know, you're all smart people). mix thoroughly and add to wet ingredients. Mix well.

Dough should be a firm, moist, hold a round shape, and not be overly sticky. If mixture is too thin and sticky, add in a handful of unchopped rolled oats.

Fold in half a bag of chocolate chips, half a bag of mini MnM's, and 1 cup chopped walnuts. Or whatever other mix ins you want, you filthy non chocolate wanter. Or, oh gosh, maybe you're allergic to chocolate, i'm so sorry. Or maybe you're a sentient, finger having dog with an interest in baking. Go you. Dried fruit and nuts could work well. Or just raisins, that's always good.

Use 2 large soup tablespoons (or a disher if you're fancy) to make balls of dough. Arrange on non-stick foil (or greased regular foil) on a baking sheet. allow 1.5 inches of space for cookies to spread. Dont crowd! Err on the side of using more trays.

Bake 15 minutes at 350f. May have to be baked in batches if not all of them fit in the oven at once, that's ok. check for doneness, cookie should be baked through, but still soft. It will harden somewhat as it cools. The end result will be a nice firm cookie, but with some softness. If overbaked, they'll still be good, but very hard and crunchy, you'll need some milk.

Let cool before removing from foil and cramming into mouth, but we know that never works and some end up disappearing. I don't know, blame the cat.

limit 3 per day or the krampus will get you.

Merry Xmas

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 23, 2018

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I holiday cookied HARD today.

Clockwise, from top left:
Tub: Fig Newtons (Bravetart), chocolate chunk (Bt), gingersnaps (Serious Eats), gingersnap cont'd, blueberry newtons (Bt), pig newtons (Bt), chocolate pecan chip (Famous Amos Variation, Bt), Choc PB chip, (Joy of Cooking / Tollhouse).

Additionally, gently caress this fig newton dough forever and ever, amen.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Annual Italian butter cookie bake

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I'm not normally much of a cookie-ist, but we turned out 4 or 5 batches last night. All the ones we have from the Mrs Fields Cookbook had you baking cookies at 300 for 25 minutes. What's up with that?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I haven't made much of anything lately that I haven't already posted here, except SPRINGERLE!

A German lady in my department went back this summer to visit family, and got a stamp for me (at great personal hassle; these are a Christmas thing so they weren't in any stores in July) and heavily hinted that she would like a batch.

The inaugural round that she received... was much tastier than it was attractive.

THINGS I LEARNED:

1. That's not a windowpane design, you're supposed to cut them apart (she told me they reminded her of Lembas bread the way I left them, though :3: )
2. Keep the stamp from sticking by flouring the stamp itself with a brush, not by sifting powdered sugar over the top of the dough
3. Yes you can reroll the scraps, it is not possible to overwork this dough the way it is with regular sugar cookies
4. No, really, knead it more and get more flour in there. The design showed up a LOT better on the second batch that was made mostly from rerolled scraps that had flour from the counter mixed in.
5. The base recipe needs to be halved as it makes way too drat much for anything but industrial mixers
6. Use a bit more extract than the recipe calls for; I think the cake flour imparts a slightly... funky taste.

If you can get a stamp from a local German market in the next few days, here's a website with a recipe and instructions, get springing!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Not sure where the line between 'cookie' and 'very small cake' is but I made a batch of ladyfingers for tomorrow's charlotte russe. I always forget how delicious, simple and magical they are for having literally three ingredients. It's humid here and they are mostly egg whites and sugar so they got really sticky in a hurry, but they're getting soaked in custard and whipped cream anyway.

James Peterson posted:

Ladyfingers
Heat oven to 400F. Separate three room temperature eggs. Beat yolks with 1/4c sugar until pale. Beat whites to stiff peaks, add 1/4c sugar, beat 2 min more until glossy. Fold whites and yolks together while sifting over 1/2c flour. put in pastry bag and pipe (1/2"+ tip) onto parchment lined baking sheet 1/4" apart. Sift confectioner's sugar over top and bake 12 minutes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Well, I made my MnM oatmeal cookies, but right as I was taking the last tray out if the oven, two apartments across the complex from us caught on a massive fire. So before I could get pics, I gave most of the cookies to fire rescue and the people who had to evacuate the building.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well, I made my MnM oatmeal cookies, but right as I was taking the last tray out if the oven, two apartments across the complex from us caught on a massive fire. So before I could get pics, I gave most of the cookies to fire rescue and the people who had to evacuate the building.

That is super kind of you. And thank you for the recipe! Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies have always been my favorite.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Test Pattern posted:

Did these back in February:

From https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/02/lacy-brown-butter-and-ricotta-cookies.html -- these are crazy good, crazy rich, and crazy easy. I suggest not using BOTH the pod and extract as she recommends, the turn out overpoweringly vanilla if the pod isn't completely used up already.

I made these and they’re extremely good

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I made the triple oatmeal cookies from Bravetart:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

https://instagram.com/p/BsIavTHF9bg/

Made these spiced pumpkin pie bars from the Sally’s Baking Addiction book. They rule! Just need to do a better job of mixing but it gave a great effect, at least.

In addition to that book, I also received the Great Minnesota Cookie Book (3 times, actually!), and a spice ack that my GF commissioned. What did everyone else get?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Chocolate cookies based on this recipe: https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/chewy-chocolate-cookies-5049 minus peanut butter morsels, plus a quarter tsp of cayenne pepper for a slow burn on the end.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone ever made bacon cookies? Saw this recipe https://thetakeout.com/how-to-make-a-killer-brown-butter-bacon-chocolate-chip-1821667488 and I'm cautiously curious but can't really imagine what it'd be like.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone ever made bacon cookies? Saw this recipe https://thetakeout.com/how-to-make-a-killer-brown-butter-bacon-chocolate-chip-1821667488 and I'm cautiously curious but can't really imagine what it'd be like.

Can't speak to the addition of chocolate chips, but I took browned butter and bacon fat shortbread to a potluck and it was gone in less than 10 minutes. Brown sugar and bacon go together very well.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I made brown butter Snickerdoodles out of the Sally’s Cookie Addiction book. Very interesting flavor!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsepyk3lWvB/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1c0xy738qjqt0

Was surprised by the inclusion of milk and vanilla extract in the ingredients.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Wake up, thread!

I went to a housewarming potluck where several attendees had Dietary Needs and thus, vegan gluten free chocolate cake happened.

Choice review: "This could like... FOOL SOMEONE."

(the frosting is just vanilla buttercream with Earth Balance vegan butter and almond milk.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Sex Hobbit posted:

Wake up, thread!

I went to a housewarming potluck where several attendees had Dietary Needs and thus, vegan gluten free chocolate cake happened.

Choice review: "This could like... FOOL SOMEONE."

(the frosting is just vanilla buttercream with Earth Balance vegan butter and almond milk.)

that is a very large cookie.