Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I made a mistake making Kenjis chocolate chip cookies…wondering if it will have adverse effects…

The recipe says to whisk white sugar, eggs, and vanilla together for 5 minutes until thick ribbons are forming. Then take room temperature browned butter you previously melted and add that into the above mixture with some brown sugar. Then you add flour, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips.

I added the room temp browned butter to the white sugar, eggs, and vanilla and then whisked. I was multi-tasking and didn’t realize it and had to stop for a minute. When I came back, it looked like scrambled eggs, which makes no sense because the butter was room temperature so I don’t think the eggs could have curdled from any heat.

I ended up adding the brown sugar and flour and chocolate chips and it looks the same as it always does…just wondering if loving up the order of ingredients will have any deterimental effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

No they aren't scrambled it's just seperating like if you gently caress up making a mayonnaise once you started mixing it again and added in the rest of the ingredients it's fine.

Best thing you can do with cookie doughs is plan ahead so you have time to let the dough rest in the fridge overnight.

Bake some from a freshly mixed batch and then some that have had a chance to rest and chill.

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 13, 2021

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Thumposaurus posted:

No they aren't scrambled it's just seperating like if you gently caress up making a mayonnaise once you started mixing it again and added in the rest of the ingredients it's fine.

Best thing you can do with cookie doughs is plan ahead so you have time to let the dough rest in the fridge overnight.

Bake some from a freshly mixed batch and then some that have had a chance to rest and chill.

Yeah I planned in advance and it’s been in the fridge overnight. I just didn’t want to go through the process of throwing that batch out and melting more butter before asking thoughts here.

Thanks!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I have my own confession to make. When you brown butter, are you supposed to put in the liquid or the solids and liquids? The solids look a little too burnt to me, but I tend to ignore the pan more than I should when I'm browning.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 18, 2021

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Both parts. The solids are great lol

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Strain the solids out.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Maybe if you're just burning them but otherwise they're like half the flavor of the browned butter. Toasted butter solids is what you're browning butter for.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Well, the last minute panicked baking of cookies has commenced. Two new ones this year, molasses oatmeal and coconut cashew.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I made a double batch of chocolate mint chip cookies and realized too late that it was way too many. I am prepared to become fatter to rectify this.

They are definitely NOT all in the above picture.

Gonna hit the treadmill for a bit and then make macaroons.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Quiet Feet posted:

I made a double batch of chocolate mint chip cookies and realized too late that it was way too many. I am prepared to become fatter to rectify this.

They are definitely NOT all in the above picture.

Gonna hit the treadmill for a bit and then make macaroons.

Recipe now plz.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

It's at home! I'll post it when I get back from my in-laws in a few days though. :)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Had a thought, can you use tangzhong when making cookies to keep them soft longer? I've only ever seen it used for yeasty breads but when thinking about it, the tangzhong itself doesn't include yeast.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Wouldn't that end more bready than a cookie texture? I mean I guess it would depend on the cookie recipe.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

a few years back my father bought a giant "commendation bar" of dark chocolate from Trader Joe's. it was almost 5 pounds heavy, and I took a couple pounds to bake into cookies, which were amazing.

apparently the bar was a limited time deal at Trader Joe's, and I want to make more cookies.

where can I buy multiple pounds of good dark chocolate without breaking the bank?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Still Trader Joe's. They always sell it in bars that are like 17 oz iirc, it's called Pound Plus. They have 3 different percentages, plus one (or two?) with almonds.

You can also buy bulk Callebaut, etc., by the pound at plenty of places online and some irl, but Trader Joe's is really the sweet spot of quality and value for baking with.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 16, 2022

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Was steered this way from the bread thread. Anyone have a good galette dough recipe? I've made galettes in the past, but I've never been able to get especially stellar results in the crust. I've always ended up with something akin to a mediocre pie crust that holds so-so. Do you have to work it a bunch to develop the gluten?

Fate Accomplice posted:

a few years back my father bought a giant "commendation bar" of dark chocolate from Trader Joe's. it was almost 5 pounds heavy, and I took a couple pounds to bake into cookies, which were amazing.

apparently the bar was a limited time deal at Trader Joe's, and I want to make more cookies.

where can I buy multiple pounds of good dark chocolate without breaking the bank?

lol I bought one of these bars too, I think it took us like a year plus to go through it. I don't know what the hell I was thinking, I don't do anywhere near enough cooking/baking with chocolate to justify such an enormous chocolate bar.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I tried making cookies on ambien and really hosed something up!!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Never admit a mistake. You were experimenting with modernist baking to test the bounds of the platonic ideal of "cookie"

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Embrace BIG COOKIE

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
yeah but how do they taste? Taste okay = is okay

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

You didn’t gently caress up cookies, you made a partially deconstructed cookie cake.

:colbert:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
In college, my roommates tried making cookies one time and I'm not sure exactly what they messed up, but they accidentally made lace cookies and hated and left me 2 trays of amazing, free cookies

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I really appreciate the energy ITT. there were parts of each cookie that were amazing. there was an enormous blob of half cooked chocolate sugar and salt in the middle of each that wasn't very good, and all of the edges were burnt and tasted bad, but there was a ring of perfectly done cookie in between those two zones that really hit the spot.

any of you ever read Remnants? when they come back to earth and there's a narrow band of habitable land between a frozen hellscape and a fiery hellscape? it was like that.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

https://www.bhg.com/recipe/cookies/chocolate-sesame-cookies/
https://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/08/salted-mudslide-cookies/
https://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/07/giant-rainbow-cookies/
https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/peanut-butter-oatmeal-chocolate-chip-cookies/

Made cookies for the feeezer. Marshmallows instead of m&ms and big chocolate chunks.

They're all great!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

lmao

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Mocca squares, or whatever they might be called in english.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is there a recommended butter:water ratio to rehydrate clarified butter/ghee for baking recipes? I used clarified butter for a batch of chocolate chip cookies and they turned out super dry despite it being a recipe I'd done before a million times with regular.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Butter is about 20% water, 80% fat. You should be fine if you do your math around that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

That worked out just right, thanks!

New question, what exactly makes cookies have those cracks on the top? My cookies taste just fine but more often than not they're just gently sloped domes, rather than being mostly flat with large cracks running through them like I see in bakery cookies and such.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I assume that happens when the outside sets before the inside is done rising. So a hotter oven or (possibly, assuming you aren’t), chilling your dough I would think would aid in that.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I need to make peanut butter cookies in a couple days and I have a few questions:
1) what recipes do people like for pretty standard peanut butter cookies?
2) I’ve browned butter plenty of times, but never for a recipe that required creaming the butter and sugars, I guess you brown the butter then let it cool to room temp before mixing with sugar?
3) My oven is surly and untrustworthy, is there anything I should watch out for? I imagine peanut butter cookies aren’t that delicate, but y’know.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Chakan posted:

1) what recipes do people like for pretty standard peanut butter cookies?
Mix 2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, and ¾ tsp salt. Mix 1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup maple syrup, 1/3 cup oil, 1.5 tsp vanilla. Combine both mixes. Portion into balls and bake at 350F for 10 minutes or until just starting to brown. Let cool 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

Chakan posted:

2) I’ve browned butter plenty of times, but never for a recipe that required creaming the butter and sugars, I guess you brown the butter then let it cool to room temp before mixing with sugar?
Probably yeah.

Chakan posted:

3) My oven is surly and untrustworthy, is there anything I should watch out for? I imagine peanut butter cookies aren’t that delicate, but y’know.
I guess watch out for burning.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Mix 2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, and ¾ tsp salt. Mix 1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup maple syrup, 1/3 cup oil, 1.5 tsp vanilla. Combine both mixes. Portion into balls and bake at 350F for 10 minutes or until just starting to brown. Let cool 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

Thank you, I had to pull a last-minute audible but this will go in my notes for next time.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Why did nobody tell me gingerbread cookies are really fun and easy to make and delicious. I had it in my head that they were tricky, but Stella’s recipe is a breeze.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Gingerbread is delicious. The crispy inedible cardboard and stale frosting houses give it a bad rap. it's wonderful

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I just saw the thread and wondered if anybody had anything to say about Maamouls. If you don't know, they are a (Middle Eastern-ish) Mediterranean aromatic cookie formed in a mold with a date/nut center and a coarse semolina outside. You give it a bunch of stuff like mastic, rose water, and orange blossom water. You take the filling, wrap it in the dough, shove it into a wooden form, and bang it out onto a pan. It makes a great pattern. When it comes to holiday cookies, I lean on them because I know nobody else will make them and their taste is so distinctive that people find a separate part of their stomach to hold them. The coarse semolina guarantees a nice crumb and interesting texture.

I am trying to refine my process though. I don't have any heritage in that part of the world and found out about these cookies just a few years ago so I am inexperienced with some of the ingredients. My basic starting recipe comes from here:
https://www.mamaslebanesekitchen.com/desserts/maamoul-cookies-pistachio-walnuts-recipe-mamoul-bi-joz-fustuk/

Something that particularly gets me is that they want me to dissolve mastic gum in water, and that just doesn't happen. Like, you can google that up and it'll tell you that stuff doesn't dissolve in water. It'll just spread out on the bottom of the pot. I'm wondering what might happen if I just ground it up and threw it in the dough. Would it be overwhelming?

I am also wondering about alternative, authentic means for sweetening other than sprinkling powdered sugar on them because that removes a lot of the detailing on the cookie. I mean, I could just add more sugar to the dough, but I wonder if there's any heritage around making a glaze that would add detail to the molded cookie.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 3, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's are indpendence day today so we're all off work. Making finnish christmas tarts. Prune jam in the center.

Gotta be careful how you fold them, wrong way and they start to look a bit fashy...

Also one batch with apple sauce instead

The difference between a merely good christmas tart and an excellent one is if the puff pastry is made with real butter or merely margarine. The butter one isn't really even more expensive and the difference in taste is great.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Today I made Ginger Spice Cookies by kiteless on goons with spoons. I made a few changes: Bob’s 1 to 1 Gluten Free flour instead of AP wheat, non- crystallized sugared ginger chunks because I had them on hand, and no clove because I cannot abide clove after having 4 dry wisdom tooth sockets 20 years ago. :(

The only thing I messed up on is that I didn’t refrigerate the remaining dough while I waited for the first batch to bake. Chilled version is at the front left, the rest are the slightly warmed batch so they turned out flatter. Despite my changes, they turned out absolutely delicious and they are my new favorite!

http://goonswithspoons.com/Ginger_Spice_Cookies

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Made my annual batch of anise springerle for a German lab manager who retired that I’m still friends with, and a lemon batch for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Had an urge to make biscuits today, but I have no eggs, or butter... I have flour and chocolate and baking powder and sourdough starter....