Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I'm not gonna post the whole procedure, for brevity's sake, but I've been iterating on a cashew/caramel cookie recipe I'm pretty happy with but feel compelled to push even further.

1 ¾ cups unbleached all-purpose flour (8 3/4 ounces)
½ teaspoon baking soda
14 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
½ cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
¾ cups packed dark brown sugar (5 1/4 ounces) (see note)
1 teaspoon table salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 ¼ cups caramel bits/nibs/whatever you call them
¾ cup cashew pieces
couple dashes nutmeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My wife calls me the cookie monster because we can't keep any cookies in our apartment for more than a couple days without me ripping through them all. I did find a recipe for S'mores Cookies which seem too wild not to try making.

Also oatmeal chocolate chip: the most underrated cookie?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Chocolate Chip cookies I sort of burnt!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

RandomPauI posted:

For some reason I was surprised to find out alcohol cookies were a thing.

Rum raisin is legit, son.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hmm, wondering how a molasses rum chocolate chip cookie would taste. Probably extremely good

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Peanut butter oatmeal cookies: two great tastes that taste great together :yum:

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Made a batch of Blueberries & Cream cookies for a nerd gathering this weekend. We ended up using a combination of freeze-dried and "regular" dried blueberries so you'd get a decent blueberry flavor throughout with the occasional blueberry chunk bomb of flavor. Unfortunately I waited until I could see a bit of brown on the bottom so they ended up more overbaked/crunchier (but still good flavor) rather than chewy. Nuke them in the microwave and they were fine, though.

My question to you all is: What other fruit would be good to use in combination with the "milk crumb" used in these cookies? I was thinking strawberries would be the obvious next choice, possibly another combination of freeze-dried and regular dried with both being roughly chopped.

Also: You can eat those milk crumbs straight. Like goddamn. I'm thinking of trying them in combination with L&P's tea cake or coffee cake or muffins or something, I just need more of it.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Peaches

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

once I have money again I have to do this. I'll trip report, I promise.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Trebuchet King posted:

Please do. I've never been a fan of dried peaches but this might be something I have to try.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Amergin posted:

Made a batch of Blueberries & Cream cookies for a nerd gathering this weekend. We ended up using a combination of freeze-dried and "regular" dried blueberries so you'd get a decent blueberry flavor throughout with the occasional blueberry chunk bomb of flavor. Unfortunately I waited until I could see a bit of brown on the bottom so they ended up more overbaked/crunchier (but still good flavor) rather than chewy. Nuke them in the microwave and they were fine, though.

My question to you all is: What other fruit would be good to use in combination with the "milk crumb" used in these cookies? I was thinking strawberries would be the obvious next choice, possibly another combination of freeze-dried and regular dried with both being roughly chopped.

Also: You can eat those milk crumbs straight. Like goddamn. I'm thinking of trying them in combination with L&P's tea cake or coffee cake or muffins or something, I just need more of it.

What do the milk crumbs look like when finished? The recipe left me unclear as to what the end result was.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What do the milk crumbs look like when finished? The recipe left me unclear as to what the end result was.

It's sort of like large sandy crumbs. When you first get the white chocolate in there it'll clump up well but you can break it apart fairly easily. Prior to the white chocolate the texture reminded me of a pecan sandie dough.

EDIT: The desired effect is to mimic the sort of sugary clusters you'll get on muffin tops, and in my opinion it reflects that pretty well. Good stuff.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Trebuchet King posted:

Where are our cookies?!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Amergin posted:

without clicking the link, I knew it was loving Christina Tosi as soon as you said "milk crumbs" ugh

I'd try peaches, raspberries, maybe apricots or mangoes

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

The Bananana posted:

Where are our cookies?!

after payday

edit: more precisely, probably friday. I get paid tomorrow but also have a bunch of medical stuff on the horizon so we'll see. I'm trying to look up some food chemistry stuff to figure out what degree the pH difference between peaches and blueberries might require further tweaks.

Trebuchet King fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 17, 2016

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Trebuchet King posted:

after payday

edit: more precisely, probably friday. I get paid tomorrow but also have a bunch of medical stuff on the horizon so we'll see. I'm trying to look up some food chemistry stuff to figure out what degree the pH difference between peaches and blueberries might require further tweaks.

In solidarity, I will try to bake on sunday.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I got a free gift card when I filled a prescription at the grocery store so I went and got cookie supplies.

Dough is chilling in the fridge now.

edit:

Trebuchet King fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 26, 2016

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Trebuchet King posted:

I got a free gift card when I filled a prescription at the grocery store so I went and got cookie supplies.

Dough is chilling in the fridge now.

edit:

Peach?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Yep, as planned.

I followed the recipe for the blueberries/cream cookies pretty resolutely but I noticed as I added all the milk crumb that it says 1/2 the recipe of milk crumb (so why not just halve the milk crumb recipe idk????)

I feel like the dough portioning size it recommends is just ridiculously large; next time I'm going to try a little smaller. The whole kitchen smelled peachy keen tho. Tastewise the peach didn't come through quite as much as I'd like so I'm thinking I might borrow a note from my streudel experiments and toss the dried peaches in a bowl with some peach schnapps, saran wrap it, and nuke it in the microwave. Or maybe figuring a way to mix some schnapps into the recipe and adjusting the other ingredients appropriately.

We'll see what the judges have to say tomorrow.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

The Bananana posted:

Chocolate Chip cookies I sort of burnt!

you're mistaken friend, there's nothing but golden brown there :p

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I made these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and they were very good, though it may have something to do with the ridiculous amount of chocolate chips it asks for. Oh well!! :evilbuddy:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

FutonForensic posted:

I made these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and they were very good, though it may have something to do with the ridiculous amount of chocolate chips it asks for. Oh well!! :evilbuddy:

Oh, cool, 'daddy cookies' (because mom would only make them for daddy, but he was kind enough to share sometimes :p ). My mom makes those with baking MnMs and walnuts as well as chocolate chips.

You can also replace the chocolate with dried fruit. I made really good spice fruit and nut cookies (apple cherry pecan) doing that, and adding some fresh ginger and nutmeg to the mix. Very versatile.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 30, 2016

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Trebuchet King posted:

Tastewise the peach didn't come through quite as much as I'd like so I'm thinking I might borrow a note from my streudel experiments and toss the dried peaches in a bowl with some peach schnapps, saran wrap it, and nuke it in the microwave. Or maybe figuring a way to mix some schnapps into the recipe and adjusting the other ingredients appropriately.

How long do you nuke 'em for? I am totally going to steal this idea!

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

In the strudel recipe it was 1/2 cup golden raisins and an ounce of whichever fruit schnapps I was making a strudel of--kirschwasser for cherry, peach for peach, etc.; nuked about a minute. (until simmering is what the recipe called for)

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Blondies count as cookies too

These are peanut butter, chocolate chip, nutella swirl blondies.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Do brownies count too? I made brownies from scratch over a month ago and I'm still just blown away by how they turned out. Here's a pic:

(for some reason trying to post the original via the awful app gets error codes so you have to make do with my nigh-masturbatory love of instagram's mayfair filter)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Molten Llama posted:

They are loving delicious. If you want to further up your cookie game (and put off cookie-eating even longer), Serious Eats' refinement of a full day's rest, rending the dough apart like you're an animal, and smashing it back together yields worthwhile improvements.

But I believe cookies are a right now food, and CI's recipe is already pushing it.

My handful of attempts at the SE recipe have met various degrees of success, mostly dismal. I mean they tasted really nice but all but one batch turned out pancake-thin. I felt odd guilt as I devoured them in shame.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

I felt odd guilt as I devoured them in shame.

Is that not the default state when devouring ones own baking creations?

It is mine. :shrug:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I'm baking butter cookies right the gently caress now!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Making cookies.

Can anyone tell me what will happen if I use a whole stick of bitter instead of half, like the recipe says? Because I did.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Just double everything else now (probably too late :( ).

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

It is. They're in the oven...

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Cooling...

May God have mercy on my soul.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Those uhh

Look very moist

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Was gonna say that they'll get really moist and flat but you posted the picture showing them really moist and flat

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Two questions, cookie gurus:

1) Once I portion out my dough can I just freeze it and then pop it right into the oven later? Or do I need to defrost first? Or is that not a thing at all?

2) Brown butter. Is it really that much better than regular butter, and if so how much water do I need to add back in to make up for the evaporation while browning?

e: nvm just saw the brown butter discussion on the bottom of the first page

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 23, 2016

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Two questions, cookie gurus:

1) Once I portion out my dough can I just freeze it and then pop it right into the oven later? Or do I need to defrost first? Or is that not a thing at all?

2) Brown butter. Is it really that much better than regular butter, and if so how much water do I need to add back in to make up for the evaporation while browning?

e: nvm just saw the brown butter discussion on the bottom of the first page

Maybe if you have small enough cookies it wouldn't matter but I would defrost it anyways just to keep the cooking times consistent, I dont know if freezing is good for eggs though I usually just make my dough fresh since it takes less time than it would to defrost

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 23, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Okay more questions:

As I've said before in this thread every time I've made the SeriousEats cookies they turned out extremely thin, like wafers almost. I tried a bunch of advice ranging from longer refrigeration to higher temp to lower temp and a bunch of other stuff but my results were inconsistent. One thing I forgot to mention then though was that for the "all purpose flour" mentioned in the recipe I used 00 flour because that's what I had on hand from making pasta. Could that be what caused the flat cookies?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That depends. 00 just refers to how fine the flour is. For the 00 flour does it say what kind of flour it is or how much gluten it has? Different wheats have different levels of gluten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

That depends. 00 just refers to how fine the flour is. For the 00 flour does it say what kind of flour it is or how much gluten it has? Different wheats have different levels of gluten.

It's this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Antimo-Caputo-Tipo-Chefs-Flour/dp/B004O8HWEG