Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The brownies are pretty tasty. Could be better, but very good start. Definitely need to work on smoothing it frosting. Any tips?

Not sure what I want to bake tomorrow. Making some more M&M Cookies today before a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

RandomPauI posted:

I'd say try making small test batches of a few cookies each for 3 variations.

First make a chocolate chip dough, sans the chips. Divide it into three batches of cookies. Put a big chunk of candy in the middle of the cookies in the first batch. Put small chunks on top of the second. Incorporate small chunks into the dough for the last batch.

Don't forget to use parchment, and please take pictures.

(Please forgive the weird pink dreamy filter on these photos, the camera I chose to use is worse indoors than I thought)

So these are the candies, not yet crushed for baking into cookies. Peanut butter toffee, peanut pieces, and milk chocolate. Extremely chewy.

For the dough I used this Martha Stewart recipe and the dough itself seems great, but the instructions say to bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes, and my cookies needed a full 15(!) to come even close to golden.

Here's the 3 types of cookies, ordered from top to bottom in the order you suggested them. The first, maybe I pressed the candy pieces down too far in, but they formed discs of melted toffee that never really came to form part of the cookie, the candy would fall right through the bottom. The third, the introduction of the candy throughout the dough seemed to make the dough much wetter, and the cookies melted and never quite solidified, they were hard to take off the parchment paper, especially because melted toffee will stick to your spatula, and using a sticky spatula to try to lift warm melty cookies is an exercise in patience that I quickly failed. The second variety was the best compromise, putting the toffee bits on top let them melt into the cookie, minimizing the stickiness of them, without compromising the structure of the dough.

Which is a real fuckin' shame because I am full of hubris and mixed the candy in with the remainder of the dough, thinking 'yeah this one is probably going to be the solution'. I got too frustrated with the spatula situation to make the rest of the cookies, so currently the dough is in the freezer. I've heard that can help some cookie problems, so when I try again maybe I'll have more luck baking these. Otherwise, are there any adjustments to baking temperature or time I could make to have the future cookies not melt quite so much?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Do you have an oven thermometer to check whether your 350° is actually 350°ish?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

THIS!!!! I've been baking pretty frequently since 2014. But I always had issues w underbaking. I received an oven thermometer as a gift last fall and it's made such a difference. I typically bake at 10-15 degrees higher to reach the temps I need and keep my oven reheating up.

EDIT: had a really cool windfall the other day. The oven thermometer was part of a care package for my aunt and cousin to encourage me in my paling journey. Got an amazing spatula, my first Penzeys Spices, a bunch of mix-ins like Andes Mint or Buncha Crunch, an embroidered apron that says "The Cookie Guy", and some baking vanilla from JR Watkin's. I love this vanilla, it's just the best! But you can only get it from JR Watkins directly at this time, at least where I live.

Well, I'm finally running low on it and I'm too cheap to pay shipping when it's a considerable fraction of the cost. They've got a promo from their flyer for free shipping for orders over $50. I thought about reaching out in a neighborhood group to see if other people would go in on an order. Then I decided, I'll just do it myself. Unfortunately, I picked up some of their spices I found locally... so my order looked like three 11oz bottles of the vanilla, and ginger.

I'm a big fan of the Bodega Boys podcast, and they've been running this thing w Square's new cash app, think Venmo or PayPal, and you just gotta tweet at them what you need cash for. So I hit them up asking for $50 so I didn't have to pay shipping for my vanilla.

I wake up on Friday to this!

Holy poo poo! So I stayed true to my word and ordered a poo poo load of vanilla!

I also picked up a lot of cheap margarine, used a raincheck for some sugar, got some cheap flour, got JR Watkins vanilla (for frosting and non-baking applications, you see) at a 33% cheaper price than their website, and REALLY cheap M&Ms. So now I've got 4lbs of margarine, 10lbs of flour, 24lbs of sugar, 84 oz of M&Ms, and like 44oz of vanilla (once my order gets here). I plan on using the last little bit to pick up offset spatulas and begin the descent into frosting and cakes.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 27, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I feel like I'm missing something in this story. You just ask for money, and they... give you money?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

You know, I actually don't, and while this is the first time I've had an issue with this oven not being hot enough, it's probably something worth owning. I see there are some available for ~$7, will the cheap ones still be acceptably accurate?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Killingyouguy! posted:

You know, I actually don't, and while this is the first time I've had an issue with this oven not being hot enough, it's probably something worth owning. I see there are some available for ~$7, will the cheap ones still be acceptably accurate?

Thermometer tech hasn't really progressed for decades.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I feel like I'm missing something in this story. You just ask for money, and they... give you money?

Pretty much. Some people ask for outrageous stuff. But I figured, keep it conservative and was rewarded.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 27, 2017

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
The Oreos from the BraveTart book came out great. Had to struggle with the overly crumbly dough, bit the end result was cookies too bitter to eat alone and creme too sweet to eat alone but a pairing that works better than the Real Thing.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Final update: picked up an oven thermometer and sure enough... I'd set my oven to 350F, and the light would go off at 300F. Probably need to ask the complex about that one.

When the oven finally heated to the right temperature, the cookies actually came out solid! Although, apparently nothing can stop toffee from melting into a gooey mess, so I still can't recommend trying this at home.

Still delicious though

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I've always wondered what apple cinnamon cookies would taste like. I bet they would taste good. Somebody go make apple cinnamon cookies and then report back.

Quoting myself from over one year ago because I found an apple cookie recipe on SeriousEats and I really want to try it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oh my God you guys...

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I'm digging these Guittard chocolate chips. Any favorite brands of chocolate or other flavors, spices that people gently caress with?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Yo cookie-bakers, can I substitute corn syrup for treacle in a lebkuchen-style gingerbread cookie recipe? Or should I be using molasses?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Molasses would probably be too strong, but corn syrup wouldn't have the flavor. I would probably try a mixture of both.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Molasses would probably be too strong, but corn syrup wouldn't have the flavor. I would probably try a mixture of both.

If I can get my hands on golden syrup somehow, would that be preferable? The recipe I'm thinking of trying calls for an equal amount of honey and treacle, but describes the treacle as "beetroot syrup" and that's something I've never actually seen for sale stateside. (I'm guessing it's like an inverted sugar made as part of processing sugar beets into granulated sugar?)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was gifted this divisive product: https://www.amazon.com/Krispy-Kreme...#R3VGG41CH6IYMS

The cake itself has a vaguely sour-cream-ish tang along with a faint nutty/lemony taste. There are two kinds of frosting but I'm hoping that the base cake is the same.

What's the right approach to this...donut cake stuff?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

If I can get my hands on golden syrup somehow, would that be preferable? The recipe I'm thinking of trying calls for an equal amount of honey and treacle, but describes the treacle as "beetroot syrup" and that's something I've never actually seen for sale stateside. (I'm guessing it's like an inverted sugar made as part of processing sugar beets into granulated sugar?)
Treacle is just the british term for molasses, which is from refining sugar(from beets, cane, etc). Golden syrup is just light molasses also

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
These barely qualify as cookies to me, they seem more like candy ... But I didn't believe the internet that the water from cans of chick peas could be used to make meringues, so for :science: ...

The aquafaba whipped up into soft peaks convincingly, so I added some cream of tartar and sugar, and continued whipping. It turned into a really nice meringue, and way faster than egg whites.

I added cinnamon and piped out some pretty fart clouds. Baked for about 2 hours at 225°F on parchment, just like the egg white version, and let cool in the oven.

It's been awhile since I had egg white meringues (that weren't turned into macarons), but I can't tell the difference. The sugar completely​ masks the bean flavor that seemed way too strong when I tasted the water beforehand. TIL! (Maybe tomorrow I will regret it!)

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Wow, I'm glad that worked for you, I tried this with a vegan friend and it took about forty minutes to get the beanwater to do anything more than froth. We gave up on meringues and made a mousse instead because after an hour it still wasn't close to soft peaks.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

legendof posted:

Wow, I'm glad that worked for you, I tried this with a vegan friend and it took about forty minutes to get the beanwater to do anything more than froth. We gave up on meringues and made a mousse instead because after an hour it still wasn't close to soft peaks.

Interesting! Yeah, I did a little more research and it seems like results vary wildly, with some people swearing by certain brands of beans, or cooking down the water further, etc. This could very well be beginner's luck, which I am not new to, like my experience with macarons ... but I kept at those and can make decent ones mostly reliably now. The sad story though is my first ever batch of real fudge. It came out creamy and flawless. I made it as an inexperienced cook at the tender age of 13 and thought I had discovered magic. Every batch after had some quirk - grainy, never solidified, solidified before I could put it into the pan, etc. - to the point where I just don't make real fudge anymore because it's not worth the time and disappointment.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Lately my favorite (bar) cookie is Smitten Kitchen's blondie recipe, with some adaptations: Brown the butter, add some toasted chopped pecans, about 1/8th cup of whiskey, and spread a bit of chocolate on top. It's a stupid easy recipe and it's got the same toffee/caramel thing going on as boozy pecan pie. https://smittenkitchen.com/2006/11/blondies/

Also here's my mom's easy old trick for putting chocolate on any kind of bar cookie: Sprinkle some chocolate chips on top of the bars as soon as they're done, then pop in the oven for another 30-60 seconds to melt. Then just spread them across the top with an offset spatula.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Also here's my mom's easy old trick for putting chocolate on any kind of bar cookie: Sprinkle some chocolate chips on top of the bars as soon as they're done, then pop in the oven for another 30-60 seconds to melt. Then just spread them across the top with an offset spatula.

I do that on toffee, but I don't put it in the oven, the residual heat melts the chips. Wonder if that would work on the blondies, just give them a few minutes.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I do that on toffee, but I don't put it in the oven, the residual heat melts the chips. Wonder if that would work on the blondies, just give them a few minutes.

Oh it would. I'm just impatient. Plus the oven is still hot, so why not.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Made molasses spice cookies. Not bad. I feel like they’re under baked in the middle though, despite having all the classic molasses cracks. I’m trying to work my way through recipes from “The Perfect Cookie.” My cousin gifted me this book after hitting a year sober, and now that I’m unemployed I’m gonna try and do as much of it as possible.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I'm just starting to learn how to cook. These coconut macaroons are the only cookies I've made so far, but they're pretty good. I'm lactose-intolerant so it's nice that there are cookies like these that don't require any butter or milk.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Nice.

https://imgur.com/EwwsOz1

That’s my family’s recipe and one of the few non-butter recipes I’ve got

I won a giveaway from JR Watkins so I’m gonna get more baking vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, stainless steel bowls, a rolling pin, a pie plate, and some pastry cutters.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Made brown butter for the first time yesterday. Working my way through “The Perfect Cookie” at a glacial pace, but it’s got some cool recipes that I’m excited to try. Yesterday I did its chocolate chip recipe and the results were pretty good.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaR9zikgWRd/

Looking forward to retrying then and trying the oatmeal cookie recipe.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

Made brown butter for the first time yesterday. Working my way through “The Perfect Cookie” at a glacial pace, but it’s got some cool recipes that I’m excited to try. Yesterday I did its chocolate chip recipe and the results were pretty good.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaR9zikgWRd/

Looking forward to retrying then and trying the oatmeal cookie recipe.

Those are some fine looking cookies. Right thickness, the cracked top...I bet they were great.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys new to the thread; do any of you know where to get like candy toppings and frosting and such custom made online? Looking for future Christmas cookie making :3

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

Hey guys new to the thread; do any of you know where to get like candy toppings and frosting and such custom made online? Looking for future Christmas cookie making :3

Sorry, haven’t ever needed to look into something like that. A few years back I did receive an 8-in-1 shaker with a bunch of holiday related sprinkle combos and stuff. So maybe check Walgreens and Target as it gets closer to December.

Made Pâte ŕ Choux for the first time today. Hoping to try it again soon but with something to fill them.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BahVMJbAFqh/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BahoZScguq7/

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Anyone have any good resources or tips for gluten-free baking? I’ve got some folks w Celiacs who have never had my delicious treats and I want to correct that :)

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I really enjoyed the goon who posted the peanut butter cookie recipe that was only a few ingredients.

Sub gluten free flour and they’d still be awesome. I’d upload a pic, but Awful.app seems broken (or maybe it’s iOS :shrug:).

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I've had good luck with the gluten free stuff that Serious Eats posts, especially http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/how-to-make-gluten-free-cream-puffs-celiac-friendly.html which is astonishingly good for what it is.

Edit for additional commentary: honestly, you just can't get the same texture with gluten-free stuff as with wheat based stuff and you will be happiest making desserts that were gluten free to begin with (creme brulee, fruit crisp) or had a minimal amount of flour (cheesecake, brownies/flourless chocolate cake) so whatever substitutions you need aren't significant. Stuff that's supposed to have a cakey texture (most cookies, cakes, etc) just isn't going to be amazing.

legendof fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 27, 2017

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Thanks for the info, y’all. Last week I announced to friends and family that I’m open for business, amateur-style. Sticking with charging $10-$15 a batch, as I’m not really certain how to charge for my labor or for specific quantities of a batch. I’ll revisit my pricing around the new year.

Does anyone have insight or advice on what to/how to charge for baked goods?

Also, looking for tips and advice on packaging. Not really shipping stuff yet, but giving someone a gallon bag filled w 30 something like 2” diameter cookies is a recipe for crumbling and crushed cookies. Are there cheap, high quantity boxes that I can pick up at Target? I don’t want to spend a dollar a pop on small Glad containers, ya know?

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

Does anyone have insight or advice on what to/how to charge for baked goods?

Maybe look to see how much cookies by the pound cost at small bakeries? Remember though that they can probably keep costs lower because of production volume. So maybe also consider how much single cookies go for at coffee shops? I see macarons go for $2.50 apiece, for example.
I'm an artist and not in food service, but you can probably use the same formulas for estimating cost that freelance artists do. Very simplified, it is: (your costs) + (time * (what you think your time is worth)).

Also remember you can add the price of packaging into your total. At least your customers can reuse something like gladware.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Since you're just selling to friends and family, tell them they get a buck off if they return your Glad container or bring their own. Selling more widely is gonna get you into way too much trouble with commercial kitchens and poo poo anyway.

e: look up those cheap plastic takeout containers on Amazon. You'd have to play with sizing, but it could work

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 3, 2017

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Americas test kitchen gluten free chocolate chip cookie is really great.
Not just great for a gluten free cookie but a great cookie that if you didn't tell people it was gluten free they might not even know.
Also, a big tip I got from the book that recipe is in is to let gluten free baked goods sit and chill out for at least an hour before baking for the flour(whatever it may be) to hydrate and prevent the finished baked goods from being grainy.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Oh poo poo, I didn't even know this thread was here. I bake cookies for work just about every week and go hog loving wild every holiday season. I don't even know where to start.

But you can get your basic bitch on with these pumpkin spice snickerdoodles I've made a whole bunch of times, 'tis the season.

Here are mine:

And an older pic- the pistachio spice cookies from Chetna Makan's book. I've since gotten a new phone and drastically improved my food photography skills, it might be time for another batch of these.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

My parents had been bugging to watch Great British Bake-Off, they finally sat me down for an episode and I didn’t realize they were amateurs and not pros! It turned out to be the season w Chetna! I loved it! But drat, Martha made me feel terribly behind the curve when it comes to baking. They wanna watch the other seasons available for streaming w me, but I wanna run through em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Tonight's efforts: double chocolate cinnamon cookies!