Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Does anyone have interest in a baking thread? I love the cookie thread but want to share more, and get more advice, recipes, etc for other baked goods!

The title I’m thinking of is The Baking Thread: baking is a science, cooking is a fart

I'd be interested. I've moved 600 miles away from my favorite bakery and haven't found anything local that even remotely replicates the amazing poo poo they made so I'm going to start making things myself as if that's going to be successful by any means. Gotta try though.

On cookies, my favorite thing they made were salted oatmeal cream pies.

They're so amazing. I'm going to make a couple of recipes from the thread this weekend. It's gonna be my first time making cookies from scratch. Can't wait to see how I gently caress it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I made some cookies! First time making some from scratch, I think they turned out ok? I did use too many chocolate chips. I didn't have chunks like in the recipe but used some semi-sweet and bittersweet chips. It said the dough would be crumbly but I think mine was over crumbly and I had to pack it a little bit to get it to hold together. They're pretty good.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I made the basic chocolate chip cookies from the ATK book and had to have hosed something up. They're not sweet enough at all and maybe too buttery I guess? I didn't brown the butter enough, so I'm sure that plays some part in it, but they just aren't right. I probably should have used semisweet chocolate instead of bittersweet too.

I obviously overcooked them a bit even though I barely left them in for the minimum recommended time. I guess I need to grab an oven thermometer to see if it's off.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sex Hobbit posted:

Definitely grab an oven thermometer; it's how I learned my oven takes a god damned hour to preheat.

Correcting your temperature will probably make a huge difference. I don't think not fully browning the butter is your issue here. Are you absolutely sure you got all the ingredients in, in the correct amounts?

You know what, it's 6:30 pm here and I have gently caress all to do. I'll knock out a batch and report back with my findings.

edit- did you do all this whisking and resting?

I did do all the whisking and resting. I went back through the ingredients and I'm pretty sure I got everything but can't guarantee it.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Did you bake them on a silpat? I find that sometimes a silpat will be too 'slippery' for some cookies and the edges will get thin and over cooked. There's no grip to keep the edges in place until they firm up. This isn't a problem with most cookies, but maybe that contributed.

I cooked them straight on the baking sheet as I forgot to pick up parchment paper. Would that do it?

Sex Hobbit posted:

Came out just fine for me. I added in chopped almonds as well, cause I have a ton to get rid of.

Those look great. I'm gonna try them again next week and see what happens.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Round 2!

I totally hosed something up last week. I've only had one test subject, but I'm pretty sure they taste way better too.

e: They're delicious!

fknlo fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 31, 2018

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Salted peanut butter pretzel chocolate chip cookies. Pretty good, I'd like them a little more if I'd maybe used some slightly sweeter peanut butter?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

Also, people's standards for free work food are way lower than you'd think.

People where I work will eat literally anything you bring in. We had a guy at my last facility that would literally bring in bags of chip crumbs to clean out his pantry and they'd be gone within an hour.

I got the Sally cookie cookbook yesterday and tried my first recipe.

Peanut butter Nutella Swirl cookies. They're good even though I'm somehow really bad at making the little fork marks on the top.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Sally as in Sally’s Baking Addiction? I use her chocolate chip recipe and have been happy w most that I’ve made from her website.

Sally's Cookie Addiction. I really like these cookies, I'll see what my coworkers think tomorrow. They liked the last batch I made even though I didn't think they were quite sweet enough.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Hell yeah. I didn’t realize she had books and now I have 2 on my wishlist. I’ve been really happy w the recipes I’ve tried from the website. Thanks for the info! Are you familiar w her website? The way you responded I’m not sure but if not check it out!

https://www.sallysbakingaddiction.com

My cousin turned me on to her and Mel’s Kitchen Cafe

I wasn't familiar with that, thanks!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I was not going to make cookies this week. Then I made the mistake of going to Costco where they had their Kitchenaid stand mixer knocked down to $250. So I felt obligated to make something

They good.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dulce de Leche Brownies. These are good but I couldn't get them to cook quite right. The recipe calls for a 10x6 pan, which I've never seen, but the comments say an 8x8 can be used but your brownies will be thinner. These things are anything but thin and the middle flat out didn't want to cook. So I ended up with overcooked edges trying to get the middle possibly edible. I think a 9x9 pan would work better.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

White Chocolate Raspberry Bars from the ATK book.

I'm absolutely poo poo at drizzling chocolate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Peanut Butter Blondie. Absolutely delicious. I should have sprinkled some Reese's Pieces on top for a little more visual appeal though.