Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Everyone uses mascarpone as a dessert cheese. Be brave, try chocolate+bleu cheese! In all seriousness, that actually is supposed to be pretty good. http://www.chowhound.com/food-news/3373/blue-cheese-and-chocolate/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

cocoavalley posted:

I don't have a recommended recipe, but IME chocolate chip cookie recipes are pretty forgiving as far as swapping additions/optional ingredients. Just keep in mind that white chocolate is a lot sweeter than dark, so if your favorite recipe has really sweet base cookie, maybe try to counter that by using salted mac nuts?

Tried a blue cheese filling in a few chocolate macarons using cream cheese as a 'carrier'. It's certainly interesting - the cheese funk sort of reveals itself only after the initial chocolate intensity subsides so they don't really complement as much as compete. I guess it makes sense since they are both earthy flavors ... I still want to try it with fruit shells, though.

Looking at rogue creamery it looks like they mix the bleu cheese with some cocoa powder (and probably other stuff) presumably to avoid the problem you're talking about. That being said, macarons aren't really famed for their intense flavor, so maybe things like truffles and spreads really are the way to go for bleu cheese (that's what rogue creamery does at any rate)

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
http://www.lilliebellefarms.com/blue-cheese-chocolates/

Here's their site. Christmas is coming, so it might not hurt to give some hints to people if you wanted to try it.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
It'll dry out the surface of the dough if you don't.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
One thing I suppose you could do is put the cookies in a plastic bag, then put them somewhere warm. If you have hot water from a sink use that, or you could hold them under your armpits for a while. Really though fire is the best non-electric option. Is there a reason you can't use fire?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
You could also put the cookies on the coffeemaker or the iron, or use the hair dryer- most hotels have at least one of those. If there are none in the room you could ask to borrow an iron at the front desk and they'll probably oblige. Just don't tell anyone you're ironing cookies.

Edit: don't have the cookies in a plastic bag if you use any of these solutions. Use paper or tissues or something non melty to prevent crumbs.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 31, 2016

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

What are my best options for a vegan butter substitution? I'm making cookies for a crowd, and some dietary restrictions apply.

If they are going to be fresh out of the oven, applesauce works fine. Using applesauce though will make them go stale really fast so keep that in mind. Coconut oil would probably be a perfect substitution, but I've never tried that.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

The Bananana posted:

that is a very large cookie.

Yeah, this actually became the general baked goodies thread a few pages ago by general agreement but no one bothered to update the title.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Griddle of Love posted:

I have to shill these, they are such an addictive treat. The salt and coffee bring out the chocolate flavor even more!

https://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/08/salted-mudslide-cookies/

Don't let them go too long, they will firm up quite a bit after you pull them from the oven. The trickiest part is to get the right amount of salt on and have it stick, too. I haven't quite figured out a good way to do that. I may have to try sprinkling the salt over before putting them in the oven or halfway through baking.

Here is the clear solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
When you substitute some of the gluten in something with something else that doesn’t provide structure, the end result is going to be similar to using cake flour instead of all purpose. The burning is probably the Maillard reaction occurring due to the lactose which occurs at lower temperatures than some other sugars.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022030205728356