Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

AnonSpore posted:

So guys, when recipes say to not overwork the dough and barely mix etc, why is that? What happens if you mix the dough a lot?
Mixing develops gluten, which will make the cookies tougher and more bread-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Dunno if we're still doing PB cookie recipes but this is the one I always use, and it's great. I eyeball chocolate chips when I want to add chocolate chips (and I usually do)

½ cup nonhydrogenated vegetable shortening
½ cup natural smooth peanut butter
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons light molasses (not blackstrap) [editor's note: I always use blackstrap]
1¼ cups flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 to 2 tablespoons nondairy milk (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two cookie sheets. We prefer dark cookie sheets here to get the cookies browned and crispy.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together the shortening, peanut butter, and sugar until light and fluffy. This can take up to 2 minutes with an electric mixer at medium speed or 4 minutes just using a fork. Mix in the vanilla and molasses.

Add half the flour along with the cornstarch, baking powder, and salt and mix well. Add the remaining flour and mix. Use your hands at this point to really work the ingredients together. The dough should hold together when squeezed; if it does not, then add a tablespoon or two of nondairy milk until it does.

Roll the dough into walnut-size balls, flattening them a bit with the palms of your hand. The dough may crack on the edges and that is fine. Place the dough balls on the cookie sheets. Flatten them further with the bottom of a coffee mug. Use the underside of fork tines to press cross hatches into the cookies, one horizontal and one vertical.

Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, until the edges are very lightly browned. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool on the sheets for 10 minutes—any less and they might crumble. Use a thin, flexible spatula to transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Suspect Bucket posted:

What would be a good dairy and egg free cookie? Doesn't have to be vegan or paleo or whatever bullshit, I'd just like to bring in cookies to work and three co-workers are ovo-lacto free. Two for medical reasons, one's vegan but she's extremely cool and low-key about it and bends the rules for honey and other low impact animal products every once and again, and I just want to make something everyone can enjoy because my co-workers are all pretty darn cool. As far as I know, nuts are OK and beloved, so load that poo poo up.

I'll probably make fruit leather if I cant whip up cookies.
I've never disliked a recipe from this book. I've had two people tell me the chocolate chip cookies are the best they've ever had. These are really good if you can handle spicy cookies. Here's a well-regard chocolate chip cookie recipe I've never tried. Really though if you just Google "vegan X cookie" where X is whatever kind of cookie you want to make, you'll get more recipes than you can handle. Asking for a good dairy and egg free cookie is basically like asking for a good cookie these days - you have so many options that it's basically impossible for anyone to give an answer except "I like these cookies" or whatever.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Many brands of dark chocolate are vegan. You can Google it to find out.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I don't know if this is BALLS DILDO's recipe (this one makes flatter cookies in my experience) but this is the recipe I use and it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Chakan posted:

1) what recipes do people like for pretty standard peanut butter cookies?
Mix 2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, and ¾ tsp salt. Mix 1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup maple syrup, 1/3 cup oil, 1.5 tsp vanilla. Combine both mixes. Portion into balls and bake at 350F for 10 minutes or until just starting to brown. Let cool 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

Chakan posted:

2) I’ve browned butter plenty of times, but never for a recipe that required creaming the butter and sugars, I guess you brown the butter then let it cool to room temp before mixing with sugar?
Probably yeah.

Chakan posted:

3) My oven is surly and untrustworthy, is there anything I should watch out for? I imagine peanut butter cookies aren’t that delicate, but y’know.
I guess watch out for burning.