Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Suspect Bucket posted:

What would be a good dairy and egg free cookie? Doesn't have to be vegan or paleo or whatever bullshit, I'd just like to bring in cookies to work and three co-workers are ovo-lacto free. Two for medical reasons, one's vegan but she's extremely cool and low-key about it and bends the rules for honey and other low impact animal products every once and again, and I just want to make something everyone can enjoy because my co-workers are all pretty darn cool. As far as I know, nuts are OK and beloved, so load that poo poo up.

I'll probably make fruit leather if I cant whip up cookies.

Coworkers of mine have described these as the best cookies they've ever had. They're my go-to cookie when I want to impress, and they've never failed.

They're sort of like a cross between polvorones and shortbread. They have a sort of crumbly texture, but they melt in your mouth due to all the butter and powdered sugar (not granulated! the cornstarch improves their texture). Last time I made them I added some nutmeg and mace to the cinnamon, and it turned out very well.

Ingredients

225 grams butter, room temperature
240 grams powdered sugar
2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
250 grams all purpose flour
about 110 grams pecans, hazelnuts or other nuts, toasted and finely ground (if using hazelnuts, wrap in a dishtowel while still warm and roll about until most of the brown skins come off)
ground cinnamon (optional)

Method

Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add 60g powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until well blended. Beat in flour, then nuts. Divide dough in half; form each half into ball. Wrap separately in plastic; chill until cold, about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk remaining 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and cinnamon, if using, in pie dish to blend. Set cinnamon sugar aside.

Working with half of chilled dough, roll dough by 2 teaspoonfuls between palms into balls. Arrange balls on heavy large baking sheet, spacing 1/2 inch apart. Bake cookies until golden brown on bottom and just pale golden on top, about 18 minutes. Cool cookies 5 minutes on baking sheet. Gently toss warm cookies in cinnamon sugar to coat completely. Transfer coated cookies to rack and cool completely. Repeat procedure with remaining half of dough. (Cookies can be prepared 2 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature; reserve remaining cinnamon sugar.)

Sift remaining cinnamon sugar over cookies and serve.

e: never mind, dairy :v:

Still keeping this recipe in the post because it's extremely thread relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

I made this, but with mint + chocolate chips. Absolutely amazing. The dough is like a stiffer brownie batter, so you get this great fudgy-chewy texture and a tremendously deep chocolate flavor. I used Guittard dutch process cocoa. I brought some in to work, and my coworkers are all talking about how amazing they are. A+ recipe.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Well that does it. I'm going to try that but with cinnamon chips (I really don't like mint and chocolate together.)

I was thinking of doing them again, but with butterscotch chips. Where do you get cinnamon chips?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I know they're a thing, but I have no idea where they're sold. I don't mind looking through a few different grocery stores though.

Well, godspeed, and please report back with results.

One tip: cream the poo poo out of the butter. Generally do that for any cookie, but especially these. I went 30 minutes at max speed in an Ankarsrum stand mixer (roughly equivalent to 30 minutes in a KitchenAid at 3/4 speed, I'd guess, based on having creamed butter/sugar in my sister's KA and in my own Ankarsrum).

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Dogwood Fleet posted:

They had everything (even s'mores for god's sake). There aren't a lot of great options online either. nuts.com had some, but that means dealing with shipping. I might give these a try.

Sub cocoa powder for PB2 and sub mint chips for cinnamon chips. Peanut butter cinnamon cookies.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Boywhiz88 posted:

How do you folks motivate yourselves to bake? I want to make oatmeal raisin cookies, but I’m tired, but I’m also not going to do anything if I don’t bake.

How delicious are cookies?

Right?

Well, get at it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I think it really depends on what brand of condensed milk you buy. I like Milkmaid, it's smoother and tastes better than Carnation and the other one I can find on shelves in normal stores. I buy it at the Indian store but they also sell it at the Asian market (which is really just a small international market, they have African and European ingredients too). I suspect it's because condensed milk is used more in some cultures than others, so the consumers are pickier on quality.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

It isn't a cookie, but do cakes belong in this thread too?

(before - buttermilk not pictured)

Cara cara cake with lots of juice and zest. After sitting overnight, the glaze soaked in a bit and the zest softened. I left in plenty of pith and used toasted sugar, so it isn't too extremely sweet, but it has this amazing texture - almost like a cake donut.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

listrada posted:

Gonna need the recipe for that.

Sure. This is my first time making it, so there were a few snags, detailed below. Also, I substituted the zest of three oranges (peeled, pith not scraped off) instead of four clementines. I used cara cara oranges, but substitute however you want - I want to try this with grapefruit and citron sometime. If you start with a 3# bag of oranges, you'll end up with two or three left over. I can only suggest candying them and saving the syrup. It's really amazing. Stir it into coffee, bake with it, cook with it, stir it into oatmeal, serve it on pancakes. It'd be crazy good in a cocktail, too. Oh yeah, and I completely stole this recipe from Binging with Babish, but it turned out different on his show (less delicious-looking, more fally-apart and less dense) so I'm pretty sure you should do it my way instead.

Ingredients posted:

Clementines
3 cups of sugar
450 g of cake flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp of baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cup of butter
487.5 g of sugar
6 large eggs
3 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup clementine juice
Zest of 4 clementines
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
Nonstick spray
Parchment paper
Clementine Glaze
150 g sifted powdered sugar
30 to 45 ml of clementine juice
Zest of 1 clementine

Instructions posted:

Start by slicing 3 clementines for candying. Make sure you slice them very thin.
Poach the clementines in boiling water for 1 minute, and then shock them by transferring them to a bowl of ice water.
Combine 3 cups of sugar and 1 1/2 cups of water in a large saucepan. Add a little squeeze of clementine juice and bring to a sweet gentle simmer. Add clementines in a single layer and simmer for 90 minutes, flipping every 30 minutes.
Once soft and translucent cool on a wire rack, and pour clementine syrup into a measuring cup for later, and set aside.
Weigh out 450g of cake flour to which you’re going to add 1 1/2 tsp of salt, 3/4 tsp of baking powder, and 3/4 tsp of baking soda. Whisk to combine.
Next, add 1 1/2 cups of butter to the bowl of a stand mixer, and mix until creamy.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add 487.5g of sugar and mix that as well.
Scrape down the sides again, and add 6 large eggs, 3 tsp of vanilla extract, and mix.
Add 3/4 cup of clementine juice and the zest of 4 clementines, and mix to combine.
Finally add the dry ingredients and 1 1/4 cups of buttermilk and mix just enough to combine.
Coat a cake pan with nonstick spray and parchment paper. Add the cake batter and cook at 350°F for 45 minutes.
Use a cake tester or a knife to make sure the cake is completely done.
Generously brush down the cake with clementine syrup.
Pour glaze over the top and add candied clementines.
Slice yourself a piece and enjoy.
Clementine Glaze
Combine 150g of sifted powdered sugar, 30-45 ml of clementine juice, and the zest of one clementine. Whisk to combine. (You can use milk instead of juice to look more accurate to the movie, but the juice is better)

Notes posted:

Use Tosi's creaming method: 3 minutes on medium-high with butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time, increase to full speed for 10 minutes.

Too large for an 8.5" springform. Use 10-11" or a few loaf pans. It does rise considerably.

Mine took almost twice as long as specced to bake. Just let it keep going, and if you need to, scrape off the top before inverting and glazing.

I substituted 75g potato starch and 375g AP flour for the cake flour.

Oh, and I accidentally found a new (to me) way to make fudge while making this cake.

Fudge posted:

Continue slowly simmering the syrup left over from candying the clementine slices until it's not quite at one string consistency; it should be viscous, like jelly without pectin, but it shouldn't even remotely clear the pan when stirred. It took me about two hours total, but I used a 12" cast iron.
Stir the syrup into a roughly equal quantity of chocolate. I had some Guittard semisweet chips on hand, so I used them.
Keep stirring it while it cools a bit. You'll feel it when it's done. Stir fast, get a little air in there!
Scrape onto a surface and let cool.
You now have fudge.
I'm not very experienced with candymaking, but I'm pretty sure it is real traditional fudge - it has the same texture that condensed milk et al do not provide. Like a chewy-slippery-melty... well, you know, it's fudge, and not the cheap crap from Walmart, but the good stuff.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 25, 2018

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Glad you liked it! Isn't the texture great? I'm also a little confused about the quantity of batter it's supposed to make, to be honest. I made it once, and it was too much but the springforms I have are oddly sized.

I think it might work really well in a big bundt pan with half moons around the base and/or whole slices over the top.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

What are my best options for a vegan butter substitution? I'm making cookies for a crowd, and some dietary restrictions apply.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Boywhiz88 posted:

Thanks! I don’t really drink coffee so I don’t have any instant stuff on hand. What should I grab or avoid? Wanna try one of these recipes today!

After some research last time I baked with coffee, most of my trusted sources say to use whatever instant coffee crystals you can find. I was happy enough with the results, but I complained about the lack of really assertive coffee flavor to a patissiere friend and she said that she uses Cafe Bustelo. It worked much better than the instant crystals, and there was no grit in the delicate texture. You can also brew coffee (but make it very strong) and use that in place of water in recipes that call for extra water, like some pies.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I have several pounds of peaches that are about to go bad. I want to bake something for my coworkers - I've been bringing something in every week or two, and I've gotten super positive reception. Pie or cobbler, or something else? I also have blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, a few apricots, and tons of rainier cherries to use up in the next week.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I made muffins today. I have cartoonishly huge tops and the streusel caramelized and fried and it's fantastic.

Blueberry with some orange and lemon zest. About a teaspoon of cinnamon went in the batter, along with a toasted star anise. Flavor is great, and the texture is out of this world. I meant to put almonds in there too, but I couldn't find my slivered almonds. I may have used them already. I didn't feel like blanching almonds, so c'est la vie.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Sure.

Sally McKenney - Sally's Baking Addiction posted:

STREUSEL TOPPING
1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
1/3 cup (40g) all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup (60g) butter, cold

MUFFINS
3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 eggs, at room temperature (see Sally Says, right)
3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
1/4 cup (50g) light brown sugar
1 cup (240ml) milk, at room temperature
1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup (215g) fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)

1 Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray a 6-count jumbo muffin pan* with non-stick spray or line the cups with muffin liners. Set aside.
2 MAKE THE STREUSEL TOPPING: Combine the granulated sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in the cold butter and mix around with a pastry blender or your hands until coarse crumbs form. Set aside.
3 MAKE THE MUFFINS: In a large bowl, gentlsy toss together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
4 In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together until combined. Mix in milk, oil, and vanilla. The mixture will be pale and yellow. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix everything together gently by hand. Avoid over-mixing, though no big pockets of flour should be remaining. The batter will be extremely thick and somewhat lumpy. Fold in the blueberries.
5 Pour the batter into prepared muffin tins, filling all the way to the top. Top each with streusel. Bake at 425°F for 5 minutes and then, keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the temperature to 375°F and continue to bake for 25–26 minutes until the tops are lightly golden. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. The muffins taste best eaten the same day, though you can store them at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

There was way too much streusel, but as you can see the results were delicious anyways. Removing them felt precarious, but there was no danger at all of tearing - the tops are just so disproportionate that it feels like there isn't much underneath.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

look at a snickerdoodle recipe, which is a sugar cookie with cinnamon, and look at spice quantities

split your batch into, say, two or three and add different amounts of spices to each minibatch

try rolling in sugar + spices, try just putting the spices in the dough, try both

Scudworth posted:

Baking is a series of attempts and failures.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Macksy posted:

Hey baking goons I want to get back into baking things like cookies and brownies, but in terms of ingredients I dont want to use butter/margerine/lard, i want to use only brown sugar or honey and not as much as is called for, and whole wheat pastry flour. Yes I want to make less tasty but healthier versions of recipes for me cause I dont eat white bread or butter or refined sugars anymore. I tried this recipe http://overtimecook.com/2015/01/28/oatmeal-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookies-without-butter-margarine/ and white it tasted okay they were more like muffin tops than cookies. Reading this thread showed me that I mixed the dough too thoroughly and I didnt chill it. Any tips for baking with these sucky conditions would be lovely like what is a good substitute for butter.

Well, what sort of fats are you comfortable using? Lard is very healthy, so I'm not really sure what the upgrade from there would be.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I just use my mouth to scoop the dough balls. Unrelated, I've gained 50 pounds in the past two months. What gives?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I did a cookie

It tastes like caramel and toffee and chocolate

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

What is the recipe for it?

I did basically this, but I accidentally started creaming the butter in the first step, so I refrigerated it, broke it up by hand into big chunks, and processed it again until it was sandy, then continued as marked.