Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

cocoavalley posted:

Those look yummy :) As an Italian-American, I can say that they are very similar to recipes that have been in my family for years.

Funny thing about these high-yield family recipes, my grandmother's spiced "meatball" cookies call for 'a bottle' of anise. We don't know what size ... She took that knowledge with her when I was a toddler (along with her pastiera recipe that my aunt has been trying to recreate every Easter for at least 30 years. No, none of the recipes online is right, ask me how I know! :v:) I can remember more than one Christmas when we'd have a shitton of leftover overpowering anise cookies. My mother swears she used the smallest bottle she could find. We eventually gave up and pivoted to a different recipe married into the family (it doesn't have any anise in it, ha).

Italian Meatball Cookies
Yields 4-5 dozen

4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
½ cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon each baking powder and baking soda
1 teaspoon each ground clove, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup milk
⅔ cup oil

For icing:
2 cups confectioner’s (powdered) sugar
A tablespoon or so of milk

Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix the dry ingredients together in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another bowl (big enough to eventually hold all of the ingredients). Gradually add the dry ingredient mixture into the wet mixture. Once the dough has come together, pinch off 1-1½ inch pieces and roll into balls. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet and bake for about 10 minutes. Cool completely. For the icing, add the milk a little bit at a time to the powdered sugar until the consistency of thick syrup or condensed milk. Dip the cookies in the icing and let dry on waxed paper. (I just dunk and coat them completely, but half-dips are ok, too)

Their texture is cakey and lighter than typical drop cookies, reminiscent of donut-holes.

Those look amazing. I'm guessing you already thought of this, but could your grandmother have been using bottles with the whole flower shaped seed pod in them? That could make a bit of a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I made this, but with mint + chocolate chips. Absolutely amazing. The dough is like a stiffer brownie batter, so you get this great fudgy-chewy texture and a tremendously deep chocolate flavor. I used Guittard dutch process cocoa. I brought some in to work, and my coworkers are all talking about how amazing they are. A+ recipe.

Well that does it. I'm going to try that but with cinnamon chips (I really don't like mint and chocolate together.)

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I was thinking of doing them again, but with butterscotch chips. Where do you get cinnamon chips?

I know they're a thing, but I have no idea where they're sold. I don't mind looking through a few different grocery stores though.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Well, godspeed, and please report back with results.

One tip: cream the poo poo out of the butter. Generally do that for any cookie, but especially these. I went 30 minutes at max speed in an Ankarsrum stand mixer (roughly equivalent to 30 minutes in a KitchenAid at 3/4 speed, I'd guess, based on having creamed butter/sugar in my sister's KA and in my own Ankarsrum).

They had everything (even s'mores for god's sake). There aren't a lot of great options online either. nuts.com had some, but that means dealing with shipping. I might give these a try.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Boywhiz88 posted:

How do you folks motivate yourselves to bake? I want to make oatmeal raisin cookies, but I’m tired, but I’m also not going to do anything if I don’t bake.

I tend to bake when I'm feeling unmotivated/depressed. The cookies or whatever at the end aren't the important part. It's about doing a task from start to finish and seeing the end result of your work. If you're trying a new recipe or improving on an old one, that makes it even better. You get to feel good about accomplishing something and there are also baked goods at the end!