Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love me some cookies. My mom's peanut butter cookie recipe is the best I've ever had.

Here's some cookie wisdom I've learned over the years:

•Use a disher to portion your cookies. Equal size cookies means even cooking and consistent results. I use size 32 and 40 dishers.
•When adding flour, stop the mixer as soon the bulk of the flour in incorporated. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to mix in the rest if needed. Overmixing will give you flat cookies
•Brown the butter (or half it at least) to add even more flavor to your recipe. You may need to add a bit more liquid to make up for the water that cooks away when you brown the butter
•Most chocolate chip cookie doughs will benefit from a day in the fridge before being baked.
•I dish all my cookies onto a silpat as soon as the dough is done and then chill it. Then it's easy to toss 6 or 8 dough balls on a pan and bake.
•When you think your butter and sugar is creamed enough, cream it some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's twice as many cookies as I'd ever attempt in one sheet pan

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

Noted.

In my defense, I really wanted some cookies.

They look perfectly edible so you got that going for you

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

CI's Brown Butter Chocolate Chip cookies are the best cookies I've ever had. I don't know why I never thought of just doing the brown butter trick to any cookies, thanks man. As for chilling cookies, you're on the right track about portioning them onto a silpat and then chilling them but what I do saves space. I chill the dough a little and then portion them into cookie balls. Then put them back into the mixing bowl and chill that in the fridge. I made a big mistake chilling my dough completely as one big mass and trying to ball them then. That poo poo was like chiseling concrete.

Yeah I portion them before I chill them. I just chill them on a sheet pan and then move them to something more compact.

mmmmmcookies

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Amergin posted:

Made a batch of Blueberries & Cream cookies for a nerd gathering this weekend. We ended up using a combination of freeze-dried and "regular" dried blueberries so you'd get a decent blueberry flavor throughout with the occasional blueberry chunk bomb of flavor. Unfortunately I waited until I could see a bit of brown on the bottom so they ended up more overbaked/crunchier (but still good flavor) rather than chewy. Nuke them in the microwave and they were fine, though.

My question to you all is: What other fruit would be good to use in combination with the "milk crumb" used in these cookies? I was thinking strawberries would be the obvious next choice, possibly another combination of freeze-dried and regular dried with both being roughly chopped.

Also: You can eat those milk crumbs straight. Like goddamn. I'm thinking of trying them in combination with L&P's tea cake or coffee cake or muffins or something, I just need more of it.

What do the milk crumbs look like when finished? The recipe left me unclear as to what the end result was.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

shame on an IGA posted:

Alton brown's Chocolate Chip Cookie #10 has been my go to base dough for a decade.

Yes I melt the butter instead of creaming. Deal with it.

I use his ingredient ratio but Keller's method, inasmuch as I use use chilled butter cut into cubes. Put one stick in, let the mixer beat it until its almost smooth, dump the next one in and once almost smooth add the sugars slowly. This gives the added benefit of having somewhat chilled dough when you've put it altogether, speeding the time from making dough and getting the first batch of cookies into my mouth.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I made chocolate chip cookies for the first time last weekend and they were delicious!!! Little wider and thinner than I expected though--to the point of a Thanks, Obama problem with dipping in the milk cup. :(

I want to make more for the family visit tomorrow but I'm not gonna have time to buy some molds to keep them from spreading out. Anyone have any suggestions for keeping them thicker and less wide? (besides less dough per cookie, anyway, which I'll resort to if need be)

3 things that may help you with this particular problem but that are pretty important anyway in my opinion:

•Cream your butter and sugar longer than you think you need to. It's hard to overcream it. Try 8-10 minutes.
•Mix it just long enough to add in the flour. Don't mix it after all the flour is added except to fold in the chocolate chips
•Portion your dough (using a disher is ideal because you can get consistent size cookies which means consistent cooking) and then chill it before cooking.

edit: I would make sure to do all of this before adjusting the recipe. Your problem is most likely one of technique rather than a flaw in the recipe, given that you haven't made them before. Try, try, try again.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 23, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Forgot to ask, is cookie dough ok in the fridge overnight or does it turn out better if chilled only for an hour or two then baked immediately?

It's actually better with an overnight chill. Just make sure it's tightly covered.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rub them together?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Also here's my mom's easy old trick for putting chocolate on any kind of bar cookie: Sprinkle some chocolate chips on top of the bars as soon as they're done, then pop in the oven for another 30-60 seconds to melt. Then just spread them across the top with an offset spatula.

I do that on toffee, but I don't put it in the oven, the residual heat melts the chips. Wonder if that would work on the blondies, just give them a few minutes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

Made brown butter for the first time yesterday. Working my way through “The Perfect Cookie” at a glacial pace, but it’s got some cool recipes that I’m excited to try. Yesterday I did its chocolate chip recipe and the results were pretty good.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaR9zikgWRd/

Looking forward to retrying then and trying the oatmeal cookie recipe.

Those are some fine looking cookies. Right thickness, the cracked top...I bet they were great.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yo, is 300 degrees not a typo? The length of bake time lines up w such a low temp, but at the same time, 300 is soooo low. I’ve never seen a temp that low for cookies. Hope you see this soon as I’m gonna try tonight.

If that’s the correct temp my guess is that’s to minimize browning and the recipe compensates for that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

legendof posted:

I've capitulated and decided I want cookie scoops. What sizes do I need?

I generally use a 32 or a 40. I really like the size of a 32, but 40 is good if you want a little smaller.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I always thought this was closer to dulce de leche than caramel (because the flavor is from maillard reactions versus caramelization). Regardless, the one time I tried it, it had a subtle yet distinct american cheese taste that I just couldn't ignore.

Waiting for subg to tell me why I'm wrong.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Cookies posted:

Wow, seriously, those look beautiful.

Hey, does anyone have a favorite lemon bar recipe?

I really like this one, from here

Andrea's Lemon Bars
For Lemon Bar Crust:

1 pound unsalted butter
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons lemon zest
Prepare baking pan by lightly buttering it. I use a 8-by-13 Pyrex dish.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
To make the crust, combine all the ingredients into the bowl of your standing mixer. Combine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs and begins to hold together. Remove dough from mixer and spread with your hands evenly into pan. Press the crust down and along sides of pan. Bake the crust for about 15-18 minutes or until LIGHTLY golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before adding lemon filling.

For Lemon Bar filling

4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Zest of 2 lemons
Powdered sugar to dust on cooled bars
Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees. To prepare the lemon bar filling, begin with a medium-sized bowl. Whisk together eggs and granulated sugar until combined well. Stir in the lemon juice and flour. Whisk until everything looks incorporated and smooth. Pour the lemon mixture over cooled shortbread.
Bake your delights in the middle of oven until set, about 30 minutes. Cool completely in pan and cut into bars. I like mine in triangles. Lemon bars will keep, covered and chilled, 3 days. Sift powdered sugar over bars before serving.

edit: This should go without saying, but under no circumstances should you use bottled lemon juice for these. Fresh lemon only.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 3, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

Any good brownie or cookie recipes that you folks like that call for baking chocolate? I’ve got a backlog.

I love these crinkle cookies. They get a crispy, almost leathery (but in a good way) texture on the outside and are chewy and moist on the inside. And they’re pretty.

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/chocolate-crinkles/941e22b3-9a48-4fb1-bdb0-27479e76d484

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

Favorite cookie scoops? I’ve worn out both of my #40s. In part cause I’m a bit overly aggressive w cold dough. Looking at a Norpro but wanted to get people’s takes.

My favorite ones are the steel ones I got at Williams Sonoma a long time ago. Stay away from oxo scoops. The gears immediately bend and become useless.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scudworth posted:

This will taste identical to it sitting on top

Not exactly. With it sitting on top the salt hits your tongue first and gives a different experience than if it's inside/dissolved/etc. Plus you get the texture of the salt crystal, which can be lost of it sinks and gets partially dissolved in the cookie.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always precook the filling. Eliminates watery pies, soggy bottoms, and the gap between top crust and filling (when your crust sets before the filling settles).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

I like apple pie but I hate making them because gently caress peeling so many apples.

Anyway I’m in the mood for snickerdoodles (or just sugar cookies would be fine too I guess). Never made them before. What’s a good go to recipe? (Mass measurements only please.)

Get one of those rotary apple peelers. Less than $20 and let’s you peel, core and slice an apple in less than 30 seconds.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N1HJSRH/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How long are you typically creaming it and what makes you think it was over-creamed?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always cream for closer to ten minutes (probably more like 8 or so?). It was my understanding that it’s hard to over cream, and I can’t imagine how you would overcreaming in just five minutes. I just look for the color to turn almost bright white and everything get fluffy. The internet advice notwithstanding, if you don’t feel like it’s fluffy, I’d say cream more.

Edit: Not saying the internet is wrong, but I would think that streaks or whatever in your finished product would be the result of not evenly incorporating your other ingredients after you cream. But that’s just a total guess.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Interesting. I mean according to this I’ve been over creaming my whole life, but I’ve never seen the issues they says result from it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Butter is about 20% water, 80% fat. You should be fine if you do your math around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I assume that happens when the outside sets before the inside is done rising. So a hotter oven or (possibly, assuming you aren’t), chilling your dough I would think would aid in that.