Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I made chocolate chip cookies for the first time last weekend and they were delicious!!! Little wider and thinner than I expected though--to the point of a Thanks, Obama problem with dipping in the milk cup. :(

I want to make more for the family visit tomorrow but I'm not gonna have time to buy some molds to keep them from spreading out. Anyone have any suggestions for keeping them thicker and less wide? (besides less dough per cookie, anyway, which I'll resort to if need be)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

3 things that may help you with this particular problem but that are pretty important anyway in my opinion:

•Cream your butter and sugar longer than you think you need to. It's hard to overcream it. Try 8-10 minutes.
•Mix it just long enough to add in the flour. Don't mix it after all the flour is added except to fold in the chocolate chips
•Portion your dough (using a disher is ideal because you can get consistent size cookies which means consistent cooking) and then chill it before cooking.

edit: I would make sure to do all of this before adjusting the recipe. Your problem is most likely one of technique rather than a flaw in the recipe, given that you haven't made them before. Try, try, try again.

I will try all of this first tomorrow, thanks. The first two especially; I creamed the butter and sugar with my electric hand mixer for maybe two minutes, didn't think going any longer was necessary. Probably mixed too long while adding the flour too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Forgot to ask, is cookie dough ok in the fridge overnight or does it turn out better if chilled only for an hour or two then baked immediately?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Croatoan posted:

On top of what FGR said please don't do what i did the first time. Portion out the cookies into balls and THEN chill them in the fridge. loving thing was like a bowl of concrete.

Whoof, good thing for me you posted that; I just finished the dough and put it in the fridge. I don't have enough cookie sheets to portion the whole batch out, though. Hmm.I lied, had a third one buried in a cabinet :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 24, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lesson learned: trying to cook too many cookie sheets at once such that the fit between two on one shelf is nearly airtight == massively burnt cookies.

RIP cookies, I was too impatient :(