Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm :canada: so I have an MEC Tarn 3 for backpacking and car camping. I also took it paddling through Canyonlands when I went to Moab and now it's stained red. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Blitter posted:

Picked up a Mountain Hardware Lightwedge 3 so long ago, that it was teal and purple. Bought a footprint for it and have treated it reasonably and I keep on taking it out. Really quick setup, and the fly/vestibule can be cinched in tight enough that it sees around zero use comfortably.

It has a surprisingly large window on the vestibule (their SVX window was brand new, iirc), which is really amazing; can see the sky if you sleep with your head at the front, and the weather of course.

A friend got one of these and after using it on a trip, I immediately bought one. MEC Mantis - It's essentially a tarp, with netting on two faces, and a sleeved pole. You tie it off to a tree (or use/fashion a pole) and peg/tie off the other end upwind, and have a pretty huge dry and bug free zone. Batten the front down lower, and with it oriented correctly, you can deal with significant winds and rain comfortably. I found a footprint (from some other tent) in a clearance bin that fits amazing well. For one canoe trip we cooked, ate (drank!sung!) and slept 6 in that thing.

Annoyingly, MEC no longer sells the mantis at all, and Mountain Hardware doesn't put windows in anything but their expedition tents, boo hiss. Discontinued gear makes me feel old!

Goddammit, here I was all excited about a cool thing. Fuckers.

• Locked thread