Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Save yourself the cash and skip the tent--all the cool kids are using hammocks these days :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Dangerllama posted:

You people who sleep in hammocks, is it possible to sleep In any other fashion than "on your back"? Seems like one of those fads that's going to go away in a couple years, though my buddy from NE swears by 'em.

It's already been mentioned, but sleeping at a diagonal is key to comfort because you lay flat and your body is caressed equally with no pressure points. At home, I'm a stomach/side sleeper, but in a hammock, I have zero issues sleeping soundly on my back, which I can't do in a regular bed. I sometimes roll over on my side or downward diagonal to change it up, but I'm otherwise perfectly content on my back in a hammock.

Also seems like every time I go out, I see more and more hammocks represented. Hammocks are win win win, less weight, superior comfort, more exposure to the outdoors while being isolated from rain runoff and ground bugs/critters, easier to find a site, plus you can cook breakfast and coffee in bed. Never going back to a tent.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 8, 2016

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Mein Eyes! posted:

I've spent the last week cycle touring with a Vango Mirage 200. Plenty of room, quick to set up, and discrete in the wild. Too heavy for backpacking but seems about right for this kind of travel. The inner separates but can't be pitched on its own; it's useful to have the two separate so I can take down and stow the inner without exposing it to rain. I'm in England and even the dry nights are wet.

That's the best part of ditching the tent and going to a hammock (or just plain tarp & sleeping pad)--setting up the tarp is so quick and easy, and you can do all your set up and tear down underneath without getting exposed to a downpour. Then, when you're ready to go, just roll up the tarp while it's hanging, slip over the snake skins, and latch it to the outside of your pack to dry.

Tents are terrible things

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

bale. posted:

How do people in this thread stay warm in a hammock? Last few trips I've been too cold to sleep. I can't afford an under quilt, but would a normal foam sleeping pad help?

Sure, a blue ccf pad works great. Before I bought an underquilt, I just used my inflatable ground pad, let a little air out so it would cradle me better, and that's all I ever needed. Some hammocks even have two layers so you can slip a ccf pad in between. If you don't want to buy a top quilt, just use your sleeping bag unzipped as a quilt, or fully zipped if it's really cold out.

I've used a blue foam pad and my 20° bag down into the teens quite comfortably.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Hammocks are an endlessly customizable rabbit hole. Hammock forums are a great start with lots of helpful people, but my main takeaways would be:

Find one that's the proper length for your size. Wider is also more comfortable, eg don't get the eno single, get the double. Second key to comfort is bottom insulation, and any ground pad will work fine, along with your sleeping bag for the top. Mesh snakeskins are a great investment for your tarp. A hex silnylon tarp is probably the best compromise between weight and coverage. Hang pitch is also important, you want 30° and a proper length ridgeline well help you get it right every time

Hennessy is a good starting point for all in one system. Kammock is thoroughly uncomfortable (in my experience). Blackbird warbonnet is probably the most generally recommended/liked, and made in amurica. If you're just trying it, you can go as cheap (10$ nylon taffeta table cloth, x2 5$ climbing cabiners, and some amsteel blue cord to whip the ends plus x2 10' webbing straps for suspension) or as pricey (I've got nearly 600$ in top/bottom quilts alone) as you like. Grand trunk is another cheap one I hear recommended a lot.

It's a bit of a learning curve, but totally worth it. If I were to start again from scratch, I would just spend the money upfront for an all in one system, so you know the tarp, bugnet, etc are all compatible, rather than trying to piece it together bit by bit. If you're buying from a backpacking specific manufacturer, the hanging hardware should be sufficient, but I like my own thing, which is a diy version of the Dutch buckle (using his titanium buckles. Really, in fact, I would order one of his hammocks, everything else I've bought from him has been top notch, and super cheap, including his winter hammock sock, which cuts out the wind. Basically you need a hammock, suspension, tarp (and tarp suspension), bugnet, and insulation.

To answer your other question, it's a lot easier to find a hammock site than a tent, and trees only a couple inches thick can hold a surprising amount of weight. Guarantee you can find a spot nearly anywhere below the tree line that's not the desert. Hammocks can be as light as you want, sacrificing ounces for comfort, but my sweet spot is very much on the comfortable end, and less than five pounds overall.

Hope some of this helps!

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Dangerllama posted:

The tent is 8 years old, but I've used it exactly once. :smith:

I wouldn't be too broken up over it, sounds like you should try and get out more anyways

• Locked thread