Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I picked up a Mountain Smith Morrison 2 for me and my girlfriend when we first started backpacking since it was so cheap and I haven't been able to justify upgrading it yet. It's a bit on the heavy side (around 5 lbs with body / fly / poles / stakes) but split up it's fine. Similar size to the REI Half Dome 2, a little easier to set up and possibly a little less durable but I haven't had issues yet. Goes on sale on Amazon frequently and can be had for under $100, though a more "normal" price is closer to $120. If you're new to backpacking and need a good general purpose tent for two on the cheap you could do a lot worse than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

For hammock camping, what's some suggested setups to get into it? Any reccomendations for best brands / models, or warnings for things to stay away from? Can you do well with the included hardware in most cases, or will I need to buy additional straps / ropes / cords / a bunch of caribiners / I don't even know?

My current setup for is sleeping pad, poncho liner or sleeping bag, and bivy sack (<1 lbs.) or half a tent (~2.5 lbs.), depending on weather. Total weight ranges from 4 - 6.5 lbs. depending on what combination of stuff I bring. Would a hammock be fairly competitive with this?

Are most parks pretty chill with people using hammocks? I've heard a few places don't like them because they have the potential to damage trees. I'm also concerned since a lot of the backpacking I do is at established sites that often seem to lack decent places to hang - either no trees in a lot of the coastal locations or the site will be a clearing in a bunch of underbrush so accessing trees can be difficult. What do you do in situations like this?

Hammock camping sounds pretty cool but I'm worried that if I try things out myself I'm going to research a ton and then still end up with multiple iterations of gear as I find poo poo that works / doesn't, and I'd like to minimize expenditures as much as possible. Sorry for this long, rambling question post and thanks in advance for any information!

• Locked thread