Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

The HTC Vive is the latest in consumer VR technology. Released April 5th, 2016, the Vive as it is commonly referred to, is a huge step forward for VR technology at a semi-reasonable price. The Vive comes with a headset, motion controllers, lighthouse base stations, and all the odds and ends needed for a fully immersive VR experience.

Price: The Vive costs :siren:$799:siren:! Yes, it is a very expensive piece of hardware. Currently this is a niche market aimed towards the VR enthusiast, and hopefully in the coming years the price will drop. That being said, with everything that is packed into the Vive the price is not outrageous, and compared to other VR offerings on the market, the vive is still the overall best in terms of what it can do and the hardware that is included.

Lighthouses: The Vive comes with two lighthouses/base stations. What these devices do is they transmit IR lasers from them in a sweeping motion (Thus the name lighthouse, they act as rapidly moving IR lighthouses in effect). This enabled the headset to track its position in the world by receiving these lasers, using maths, and figuring out where it is in relation to these base stations.

The lighthouses can be a bit of work, and mounting these bad boys can take a bit of time and add some heft to initial setup. However its a one time cost (unless you are going to move where you use your vive a lot). However you have options. The lighthouses can be mounted using the included mounting kit by screwing it into the wall. You can also mount them on tripods though that can be a bit problematic as you do not ever want your base stations to move once placed. There are still many novel mounting solutions that people have utilized such as 3M strips, contractor poles and many others. Ultimately mounting is a pain but there are a number of ways to do it and it typically only takes a half hour or so. This is a pretty typical mounting solution using the included hardware

Motion Controllers: The Vive also comes with two motion controllers, this hardware sets it apart from the competition (which currently use xbox controllers for input), all hail the donut! The motion controller is exactly what it sounds like, it allows for 1:1 control of the virtual space by using your actual hands and arms to control your surroundings. This is not a wii-mote. Wii-motes suck, their tracking/simulation capabilities are terrible. This uses the same tracking method the headset uses to ensure an incredible level of tracking fidelity, sub-millimeter precision to be exact.

Each Motion controllers come with some standard app and home buttons, the former being uses by some games as a menu button, and the latter being a dedicated button to open the SteamVR interface. They also have an analog trigger (great for shooters), two grip buttons that act the same and can be used to simulate grabbing something, and a steam-controller-esque trackpad at your thumb. The trackpad is actually incredibly useful, and can be used for many applications including weapon wheels, mouse simulation, typing, or a plethora of other options. The track pad can also be clicked in as well as knowing when the user is simply touching it.

The motion controllers are incredibly important to VR immersion, and most people who use them will find themselves innately understanding them (as it just simulates our normal mode of interaction). Check this out!

The Headset: The life blood of the Vive. The headset comes with two lens that sit over a 2160 x 1200 screen. This screen has a refresh rate of 90Hz; yes that is more than your average monitor. This high resolution, high refresh rate means that the vive delivers a high-quality (though yes screen-door-effect is still present) smooth experience. It even has the biggest FOV of all the headsets on the market, leading to a better feeling of immersion and presence.

The pocketed appearance of the headset, straight out of a cyber-punk mock-up, shows off all of the IR sensors that sense the lasers emitted from the lighthouses. Using maths this helps the headset figure out where it is in space. Not only can the headset know where you are rotationally, it will also track you positionally within your defined playspace. You can not only look around your virtual environment, but you can walk and move within it as well. True VR presence is finally at hand!

Though a bit unwieldy at first, adjusting the straps to get a comfortable fit hugely improve the comfort of the headset, most users can use it indefinitely. The camera on the front allows you to, at a buttons press, view your surroundings so you can keep your headset on and still see/interact with the real world (not sure why you’d want to though).

SteamVR: SteamVR is what the Vive relies on. Through the push of a button either on the motion controllers or on the headset itself you can access the steam vr menus. From here you can launch games, chat with people on your friends list or view your desktop (though their built in desktop view needs some work currently). Normal games that don’t have proper VR support can even be played in a simulated theater.

From here you can also access and change the settings of your chaperone system. The chaperone system is a virtual wall that fades in as you approach your play boundaries. When you do the Vive’s initial set up you use your motion controllers to draw out your play area in real space. Then it takes this area to define the chaperone boundary. Now whenever you approach that limit the walls fade into existent alerting you that you are approaching real world obstacles. Though wandering around in a room in VR might seem dangerous, with chaperone it becomes simple, easy and completely safe. (though please wear your wristbands)

The HTC Vive is available now, you can order it and receive it within 1-3 weeks, and some stores are even beginning to get them in stock, though this is still quite limited. Overall it is the best VR option on the market and a fantastic VR device if you are interested in this emerging technology. It is something that needs to be experienced to understand so look around you for demos and opportunities to get your hands on this new VR HMD (head-mounted display).

This thread is mod sanctioned; intentional shittiness, or coming in here to wave your dick about your non-Vive HMD is probatable, if you wanna do that take it to the bad VR thread. Welcome to the vive hug box boyz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
FAQ/Troubleshooting

Isn’t this like the virtual boy? That monumental failure? - No, this is nothing like the virtual boy which was a static stereoscopic image that caused migraines. This is a stereoscopic image, yes, but it also has rotational and positional tracking. It does not feel like looking at a 3d image, it feels like being inside a 3d environment.

Holy poo poo thats expensive, are you retarded? - Me personally, yeah definitely. However it is an expensive piece of hardware. If you are not super sold on VR the smart bet is to probably wait. There are still problems with this generation of HMD’s, largely resolution related. Those issues will likely be resolved and price will likely drop over time. However if you are like me and blown away by this new tech the price seems totally worth it.

Where can I try this dumb thing? - Currently I’m only aware that certain Microsoft stores, Gamestop stores, and Micro Center stores have demos available. I will update this if more become available. Some goons might be willing to show you too so post in the thread maybe?

Update: User Mordaedil is willing to demo for other goons if you live in the Osla area of Norway!

Why are all of the games shovel ware? - This isn’t entirely true but it is true that many of the experiences are somewhat short, and some are definitely just tech demoes. Its a brand new technology and many people have not had the opportunity to develop on them for more than a year or so. Many AAA studios are not even investing time or effort yet until the technology proves to get a footing. That being said there are some amazing experiences out there and some full AAA titles can be played in VR, whether through a hack like VorpX or they are being natively support. Off the top of my head Project Cars and Elite Dangerous work amazingly in VR and are incredible experiences.

I have a big/small head, can use this thing? - Sure, well hopefully anyway. The Vive fits many different head shapes, the straps are adjustable and most importantly you can control the IPD (the distance between your eyes) with a knob that adjusts the lenses appropriately. The Vive actually has the biggest IPD adjustment range of all the HMD’s currently on the market.

I have everything installed but I am getting SteamVR errors when I try and launch SteamVR! - There are still quite a few bugs in SteamVR. Launching the beta of it can clear some up for some users. Though there are likely many solutions to the different numbers of errors you could encounter, a solid first step is to restart your computer, this clears up my problems overtime. ymmv

What about that other HMD? Ya know, the one founded by a Brony? - Oculus is terrible. The headset is ok (slightly more comfortable, slightly better clarity) but it doesn't have motion controls, no pass through camera, a much smaller FOV and the company is specifically not targetting roomscale (where VR is actually fun and good). But worst of all the company is trying to bring Console-type exclusivity to the PC ecosystem, ruining years of a hardware agnostic paradigm. So their VR package is worse and they're trying to gently caress over the PC. You'd have to be braindead to get a rift.

Can I play games on Oculus Home? - Ahh this one is currently a bit of a hot button. Steam does not limit what kind of hardware can use its store. Rift and Vive users can play games on Steam. Oculus Home however locks any HMD that isn’t Oculus brand out of its store because they are idiots and anti-consumer. They also fund exclusives which is a bad dumb thing PC’s haven’t had to worry about since the Glide API (Thanks for bringing back that lovely state of affairs Oculus!).

That being said some clever people made ReVive! It lets you play Oculus Home games on the Vive. Then Oculus pushed an update to kill ReVive from working and implemented some seriously draconian DRM. Then a day later the ReVive devs figured out how to get around the DRM. Oculus will probably continue to try and be lovely about letting users access content they own despite what Palmer Luckey said about it some time ago. Really though if a title is available on steam you should buy it there or not buy it at all because supporting Oculus Home is a bad thing for consumers who enjoy freedom of hardware choice and it would be best if it died in its crib.

HTC support is god awful, I have a problem but I cannot get a hold of anyone! - This post by user Lucid Dream might help.

The Vive sucks, I want my money back! Go here: http://store.digitalriver.com/store?Action=DisplayReturnAndCancellationsPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=htcus&ThemeID=40324200

This section to be added to over time. If there is something you think should be here, please post it in the thread or PM me.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 5, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Games and Content

I am gonna make a big mega-post here for most games worth mentioning. I plan on including a general description of the game, and I’d like to include goon reviews as well.

:siren:If you would like your review posted, please make a post in the thread with your general review, as well as a one sentence overview that I will use to hyperlink your review.:siren:

The best of the best

Tilt Brush
: Tilt brush is not so much a game, as a creative experience. It gives you the user control of a 3d space to paint, pencil, and draw to your hearts desire. Using a neat control scheme one hand is the palette while the other is the tool. Choosing from a star field to a marker there are many types of ways to paint and draw in this game including a handful of environment to draw in. Though again not really a game per se, it comes for free with the Vive and is an amazing introductory piece for VR, and great demo software. Highly recommended for anyone new to VR.

Job Simulator
: Another great game for first timers to VR. You take on the role of a robot who hearkens back to the good old days when humans worked jobs. From a corporate drone to a chief there are a handful of experiences to play. Toss your stapler across the room or eat a burrito, the game is cute and fun and incredibly simple. Also comes for free with the Vive.

Fantastic Contraption
: This game is a bit odd for some people, but its built from the ground up for VR, it is adorable, and intuitive to pick up and play. Though some of its challenges can be a bit tough, it is one of the few VR games to actually provide a proper challenge. You have to build elaborate machines to get an object from point A to point B. Very clever control and menu systems. This game can be a bit hit or miss for people but its the last of our free titles when you order an HTC vive. Personally this game has a high level of presence and is a good demo title.

Space Pirate Trainer
: This game owns. Its my favorite. You take on the role of a space pirate. With a gun in each hand you can decide if you want to shoot pistols, laser machine guns, rail guns, or solid beams. The game is wicked fun albeit the content is pretty meager. You will be swarmed by robots and you have to shoot, duck and shield yourself to victory. You can equip a sonic shield by reaching behind your back for more cover. Its really fun and makes you feel like Neo. Highly recommend picking this game up.

Final Approach
: Take control of an airport as an air traffic controller! Guide planes to their destination safely, things get hectic quick and your reaction time matters. Recently updated with achievements, challenges, and improvements this game is really starting to shine. From the store page: "Airplanes on fire, commuter aircraft low on fuel, mid-air collisions, emergency helicopter rescues, military exercises and so much more!". Mixed into these are little mini-games, load luggage, scare seagulls, or shoot guns, all the while playing with scale to give you a real sense of "WOW!" Game has a hefty price tag of $25 but it is one of the few fully fleshed out and quality games.

"It's also pretty much a full game experience, and there aren't a ton of those yet on the Vive." - Giovanni0109
"If you've got bank robbers dangling from a helicopter on its way to the police station, you'll see that too." - ChickenArise
"All in all, it might be a bit pricey for the content, but it is polished, and fun chaos." - Knifegrab

Pool Nation VR
: I'm gonna let HerpicleOmnicron5 handle this summary: Pool Nation VR features 8-ball and 9-ball pool, along with secretly also featuring a pair of fully functioning darts boards with score tracking. Set within a bar, it features all of the expected ambience and broken beer bottles that one would expect on an average night out. You can also collect hats by playing the game. Pool Nation VR is one of the best games available for VR right now, and I heartily recommend that everyone buy it right now. It's a great pool game, and probably the Vive game with the best multiplayer and most longevity right now.

(click here to read his full review)

Raw Data
: I have yet to play this but it is highly recommended. HerpicleOmnicron5p describes the game incredibly well in his review: "Raw Data is a shooter/slasher where you play as either a GUN CLERIC or CYBER NINJA (with more, hopefully equally well named, classes soon to come). What sets it apart from the other wave-based shooters is that this game features Overwatch-style hero abilities and the best teleporting out there and online co-op."

Good Games

Out of Ammo
: Ever wanted to play a tower defense/RTS/First person shooter? Well you should because that is what this game is. You build emplacements, machine gun outposts, and sniper towers and then fill them with your different soldiers as they become available (soldiers/snipers/rocketeers). They'll automatically engage enemies when their nearby (It is a wave based horde mode) but for added fun you can select a unit to possess it. Then you gotta shoot yourself, and reloads your guns in an engaging way. This game is well done, and extremely fun if not still a bit buggy. Co-op is coming soon, and then it will really be a smash hit I suspect.

Waltz of the Wizard
: First off this experience is FREE! Not really a game, but a <30 minute experience. It is polished and charming but quite limited. That being said you take on the role of a wizard in his tower, you can mix potions that give you different abilities and interact with the environment around you. Not too shabby, did I mention it was free?

"A free 'experience' game, you're put into a magical workshop and have a variety of ingredients you can use to mix and create spells." - The Walrus

Cloudlands VR Minigolf
: This is a fun little game that lets users play Minigolf in some wild environments. Though ultimately it seems like they could have gone a bit crazier with the designs here it is a fun and whimsical course (Except gently caress hole 9, that stupid loving terrible hole). They just added multiplayer though some users are experiencing performance issues. There is also word of workshop support for an endless supply of mini golf courses.

Call of Starseed: The Gallery Ep 1
: The main complaint people have for this game is its too short. And I agree. It is really good and I want to play more of it! They claim it to be episodic so hopefully we’ll see more in the future. This is a story telling adventure game. I don’t want to say too much but it is quite good and very immersive. It uses standard teleportation for locomotion which some people hate. Probably as close to a AAA title as we’ll see for a bit.

Audioshield
: Remember audio surf? This is that in VR. It takes music and procedurally creates a scenario where you have to block incoming orbs with either your left or right shield based on color. Very fun if not perfect, sometimes it feels like the song doesn’t match the game, but more often than not its a classic rhythm game made extremely fun by really involving your upper body.

Vanishing Realms: Rite of Steel
: Made by an ex-valve employee, this is the Vive’s first take on a classic action/adventure rpg. Wielding a sword, bow or other weapon found on the way you will fight monsters and collect loot. Fell a bit flat for me but most people really enjoyed it.

The Lab
: Created by Valve this is a collection of mini games. Of note the archery mini game is incredibly fun, there is a 3d bullet hell, and the catapult game is also a blast and is voiced by the Rick and Morty dude. Incredibly charming and lots of fun this experience is Free and as such you really can’t miss it. Problem is lack of deployability for obvious reasons.

Holopoint
: Holopoint is an archery game, somewhat similar to the minigame you might find in the lab. It is fairly priced and quite fast paced. You must destroy certain objects/enemies but be aware they do shoot back. This game actually get pretty difficult pretty quick but it will definitely make you feel like a badass.

Budget Cuts (Demo)
: Budget cuts is shaping up to be an amazing game. First off its locomotion solution is probably the best we've seen, morphing both teleportation, and portals it is incredibly intuitive. Other than that you play as a secret agent infiltrating a building filled with killer robots. Using stealth and throwing knives you must achieve your mission. The full game isn't out yet, but there is a Free demo to try so give it a shot.

Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades
: From user Aphex-'s post - "I got Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades yesterday and it's honestly pretty awesome. The guns are modelled really well and there are actually a fair few things to do in it as well. The dev has put in a Breaching prototype where you can choose whatever guns you want and make your way through a house (with teleporting) shooting at cardboard guys and vases and bottles and stuff that all react how you'd expect when they're shot. It's a lot of fun."

Standard games with built in VR support

Elite Dangerous
: I have a bit of a bias here, I am HOTAS nerd and I really enjoy Elite. Fixes came out in the 2.1 update that address some VR issues, specifically for the Vive so now is the best time to check it out. This game is incredible in VR and it really makes you feel like the captain of a space ship.

Project Cars
: This game recently added native Vive support. From how they handle their menus to being in the car during a race its quite well done. You will really feel the speed when you are racing in the vive, it is something else entirely. Sometimes we over in Reticulated Splines sometimes have race days. A lot of fun.

Minecraft
: Minecraft can be modded to support VR! The gist is this: version 1.7.10 can be modded to allow for roomscale, teleportation, and even lets you physically mine by hitting blocks. It is surprisingly great, and it works incredibly well. I highly recommend it.

Get the latest minecraft vive mod here, its a simple installer, just grab the latest version: https://github.com/jrbudda/minecrift/releases
Lots of information for vive minecraft can be found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/wiki/minecrift_for_vive
To setup a server follow the instructions here: https://github.com/possi/MineVive

Tools/Utilities

Virtual Desktop
: This utility lets you use a multi monitor setup in VR. It will float your screens in front of you and they can wrap around you, and you can set size, scale and distance. Incredibly useful if you want to use VR for more than just gaming, and it can also be used to play non-vr games (probably better than steamVR currently for that). Can also be used to watch 3d movies and videos.

AltspaceVR
: Altspace is an interesting thing. Conceptually its cool, its basically a VR chat room. Some activities can be played but its largely a social platform. Every now and then a speaker will give a presentation and some musicians are even starting to do VR shows. Ultimately its a lot of nerdy guys invading the personal space of the one girl in the room.

Things to Avoid

Cosmic Trip: This game is really neat in a lot of ways. Visually its gorgeous, mechanics are rock solid, and the interface owns. However there is just no content. Somewhere between 0-10% content. I mean just nothing to do. You will boot it up, dick around for a couple minutes and never launch it again. It is EA though so that might change over time, its possible this title could be put into one of the categories above after some more development.

Orc Assault: "$20 and listed as complete but the game is barely beta quality. Developer has a bad record and this game is no exception." - Kid

As I said above this is not a complete list, if there is something you’d like to see me add please let me know, otherwise I will slowly add to it as time permits. If you’d like to add a review of a game just make a post with the review, and a one-sentence overview of the review and I will link it from this post.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 18, 2016

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Holopoint is another excellent Vive VR game. It's sort of a less refined bow and arrow game from The Lab, but with a lot more levels and things to shoot at. Also you have to actively dodge things shot at your head. It can turn into a light cardio session if you play for long enough.

IronDoge fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 23, 2016

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I last weekend I tried Project CARS on the Vive with my friend's racing wheel setup and it was incredible. A lot to set up but definitely worth trying if you get the chance.

That same day I noticed my Vive's right screen has a few stuck green pixels. :sigh: Has anyone else has to RMA their Vive yet?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Hungry Computer posted:

I last weekend I tried Project CARS on the Vive with my friend's racing wheel setup and it was incredible. A lot to set up but definitely worth trying if you get the chance.

That same day I noticed my Vive's right screen has a few stuck green pixels. :sigh: Has anyone else has to RMA their Vive yet?

Unfortunately a search of reddit proves not such great things and them generally being dicks about RMA for bad pixels etc. However the one piece of advice I keep hearing is, don't stop complaining. Call and ask to speak to a supervisor, state how unhappy you are but be calm, polite and patient but be persistent. Escalate it as much as you can and eventually you might get through to someone who can actually help you.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'll offer my place up as a spot for demoing the Vive, if you live in Norway in the Oslo area, albeit I don't recommend visiting unless you are comfortable with a very goony apartment with anime figures, transformer toys on display etc. Just shoot me a PM if you have no qualms. No pictures.

I'd also recommend people try out the Budget Cuts demo, which is very short, but if it delivers more of the same, it will probably be the first full title VR game I look forward to.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

I'll offer my place up as a spot for demoing the Vive, if you live in Norway in the Oslo area, albeit I don't recommend visiting unless you are comfortable with a very goony apartment with anime figures, transformer toys on display etc. Just shoot me a PM if you have no qualms. No pictures.

I'd also recommend people try out the Budget Cuts demo, which is very short, but if it delivers more of the same, it will probably be the first full title VR game I look forward to.

Awesome thanks, added your demo offer to the OP, I will add budget cuts and holopoint to the OP shortly.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
VorpX is getting Vive support. The only game that looked decent for me was Doom 3. Most games don't work well at all because they were not made for VR.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
VIVE rules, needs more games

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
How's the nausea in Project Cars? Kumoon took some time before it made me ill, and Descent was immediately difficult.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
This is a cool and good effort thread

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

^^^ Thanks

ChickenArise posted:

How's the nausea in Project Cars? Kumoon took some time before it made me ill, and Descent was immediately difficult.

I experienced no nausea in project cars and played it for about two-three hours straight. My VR legs are pretty well seasoned though, the only thing that makes me sick is windlands at this point, so it might be a ymmv type thing.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
vive rules, rift drools

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Just in case anyone thought everything was rosy between Valve and Oculus:

Alan Yates posted:

While that is generally true in this case every core feature of both the Rift and Vive HMDs are directly derived from Valve's research program. Oculus has their own CV-based tracking implementation and frensel lens design but the CV1 is otherwise a direct copy of the architecture of the 1080p Steam Sight prototype Valve lent Oculus when we installed a copy of the "Valve Room" at their headquarters. I would call Oculus the first SteamVR licensee, but history will likely record a somewhat different term for it...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4klu94/oculus_becoming_bad_for_vr_industry/d3g6e6j

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

SwissCM posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4klu94/oculus_becoming_bad_for_vr_industry/d3g6e6j

Haha this is pretty funny. I mean some of it was kind of obvious when you look at the early history of the work and support Valve lent Oculus. Oculus is the physical embodiment of:

edit: Wow even the thread about Yate's comment in /r/oculus is pretty brutal.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 23, 2016

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

ChickenArise posted:

It's fine for me so long as the frame rate and tracking hold up. I had to the turn the game down to medium on my r9 290x to guarantee no framedrops in VR.

Playing in 3rd person gave me a bit of motion sickness at first, but it went away after a couple laps.

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!

Hungry Computer posted:

Playing in 3rd person gave me a bit of motion sickness at first, but it went away after a couple laps.

oh god, you monster

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SwissCM posted:

ROFL rift is just eating scraps from the table!

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i guess people were right when they said touch will bring parity (because it'll just be valve's hardware with a facebook logo)

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
WTF, this was a good OP and a cool thread then you start talking about Facebook in here? I thought this was going to be a good thread.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

TomR posted:

WTF, this was a good OP and a cool thread then you start talking about Facebook in here? I thought this was going to be a good thread.

Please kindly gently caress off if you are having trouble with us laughing about the fact that a lead engineer working on the Vive stated that the rift is basically just a reverse engineered vive, in the vive thread. It's vive news when the lead vive engineer says things like that and, being in the vive thread, we can talk about it. You guys are so sensitive, you don't have to post here you know?

Also please read the OP:

Knifegrab posted:

This thread is mod sanctioned; intentional shittiness, or coming in here to wave your dick about your non-Vive HMD is probatable, if you wanna do that take it to the bad VR thread. Welcome to the vive hug box boyz

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Knifegrab you idiot, I like you and I like the Vive. What I don't want is to have to hear about Facebook anymore.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

TomR posted:

Knifegrab you idiot, I like you and I like the Vive. What I don't want is to have to hear about Facebook anymore.

Then don't post in the Vive thread. Oculus has continually poo poo on the Vive while Valve has continuously made good on support for Rift users, its pretty obvious why some people feel it necessary to vent and complain about Oculus loving over non-agnostic VR.

Also the old thread is all in a conniption about this thread and making a counter vr thread to this thread because I guess people can't handle there being a new thread with me as the OP, so go check out that new thread when its created (also haha I can't believe how petty they are).

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Op is missing the most important part of vive ownership: how to get a refund. Here is a handy set of instructions! http://store.digitalriver.com/store?Action=DisplayReturnAndCancellationsPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=htcus&ThemeID=40324200

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Liquid Penguins posted:

Op is missing the most important part of vive ownership: how to get a refund. Here is a handy set of instructions! http://store.digitalriver.com/store?Action=DisplayReturnAndCancellationsPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=htcus&ThemeID=40324200

Added to the OP, thanks!

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 24, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
In the OP you wrote " It will also be releasing its own brand of motion controllers at some point, but price and actual date are unknown, and unlike the Vive, they are supposedly targeting “a seated experience” still" Oculus target a standing and seated experience even now before Touch is out. 2 of the free Home games (Farlands, Dreamdeck) both recommend you stand. The climb does as well.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Poetic Justice posted:

In the OP you wrote " It will also be releasing its own brand of motion controllers at some point, but price and actual date are unknown, and unlike the Vive, they are supposedly targeting “a seated experience” still" Oculus target a standing and seated experience even now before Touch is out. 2 of the free Home games (Farlands, Dreamdeck) both recommend to stand.

please do not troll the vive thread

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm going to be totally honest: I've probated Bargefink in the past for being a crazy person, but actually, all the posts in all the VR threads from every poster participating in VR, as an idea, look the same to me.

Nobody let them know this though.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Poetic Justice posted:

In the OP you wrote " It will also be releasing its own brand of motion controllers at some point, but price and actual date are unknown, and unlike the Vive, they are supposedly targeting “a seated experience” still" Oculus target a standing and seated experience even now before Touch is out. 2 of the free Home games (Farlands, Dreamdeck) both recommend you stand. The climb does as well.

Oculus touch will also likely have the capability to do roomscale (worse than the Vive) but capability and what is being targeted are different things. Now stop trolling about the rift in the Vive thread you petulant child.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm going to be totally honest: I've probated Bargefink in the past for being a crazy person, but actually, all the posts in all the VR threads from every poster participating in VR, as an idea, look the same to me.

Nobody let them know this though.

The veil has been lifted and the emanating light has driven us mad.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

My command strips holding my Lighthouse up finally failed today. :toot:

Hope nothing broke :ohdear:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Oculus touch will also likely have the capability to do roomscale (worse than the Vive) but capability and what is being targeted are different things. Now stop trolling about the rift in the Vive thread you petulant child.

What? What you have written in the OP is inaccurate. Oculus has you stand up and tells you to clear a few feet of space during the initial setup of the headset lol. But hey, if you want to mislead people and say Oculus doesn't recommend standing when they do it in their own 1st party games, more power to you my man.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I have an airport hangar that they filmed the civil war dc comics movie in. Is that big enough for room scale vr?????

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Did they ever port angry bird or 2048 to VR? There are a bunch of other cell phone ports I see.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Is there a way to reduce the threshold at which the chaperone bounds become visible? I have literally the minimum space required for room-scale, and in games like Job Simulator the chaperone grid is constantly turning on and off as I reach for things and bring them back to me, even though by the game's own design I never go out of bounds. I just want to turn the grid off for that game and take responsibility if I hit my TV or something.

(Also, is there a way to make Job Simulator not turn everything near the threshold transparent when the chaperone grid pops up?)

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Cheston posted:

Is there a way to reduce the threshold at which the chaperone bounds become visible? I have literally the minimum space required for room-scale, and in games like Job Simulator the chaperone grid is constantly turning on and off as I reach for things and bring them back to me, even though by the game's own design I never go out of bounds. I just want to turn the grid off for that game and take responsibility if I hit my TV or something.

(Also, is there a way to make Job Simulator not turn everything near the threshold transparent when the chaperone grid pops up?)

Unfortunately the only solution is to fix the housing market problem. Till we can all live in airplane hangars you may be out of luck my friend.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Poetic Justice posted:

What? What you have written in the OP is inaccurate. Oculus has you stand up and tells you to clear a few feet of space during the initial setup of the headset lol. But hey, if you want to mislead people and say Oculus doesn't recommend standing when they do it in their own 1st party games, more power to you my man.

Knifegrab this is true and not a troll. Things that are true and presented without snark are not trolls.

You do have other assholes in here trolling though so that sucks. Seriously Knifegrab did a great job on the OP and there are things to discuss about how cool and good the Vive is. No need to troll.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cheston posted:

If you go to the Steam menu, then on the bottom right there's a little gear. Click that, then select Chaperone (pretty sure that's the one you want, this is from memory) from the list that should be on the left. Then select "Developer" which should remove chaperone entirely, except for maybe the bounds on the floor.

You will forget to turn it back and run into something at some point though, so I don't really recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

TomR posted:

Seriously Knifegrab did a great job on the OP and there are things to discuss about how cool and good the Vive is. No need to troll.

:agreed:

• Locked thread