Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

where is my vr poo poo posting game, and more importantly, can i poo poo post while i move, or must i stand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Sorry to anyone reading the last page, I took the bait like an idiot!

If you are worried about stuck pixels read this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4koz3b/psa_green_pixels_on_loading_screens_only_are_not/

The basic idea is that there can appear to be some green stuck pixels on a loading screen but it is actually not a defect or something and should never happen in any instance other than loading.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 24, 2016

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
This is good that you made this thread now because I am sitting here waiting for the fedex guy to deliver my drat vive.

Also knifegrab I wanted to ask you before but you were probed, what (if any) games do you actually want on vive that you can't get because facebook?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

monkey posted:

This is good that you made this thread now because I am sitting here waiting for the fedex guy to deliver my drat vive.

Also knifegrab I wanted to ask you before but you were probe, what (if any) games do you actually want on vive that you can't get because facebook?

Some of the exclusives coming down the line sound interesting, that dragon card rpg thing I can't think of, the discus game are some of them, rock band VR I think is exclusive and also could be kinda neat.

Ultimately most the stuff doesn't look that cool, and hopefully by the time the worthwhile titles come out ReVive will be kicking rear end.

The Climb looks neat but I don't really get wanting to play a game that features hands prominently but does not utilize motion controls, but maybe motion controls wouldn't' work for climbing I dunno, I'd try it if it were reasonably priced which it isn't. Maybe Oculus Home will have sale and the game will be chea- hahaha good joke.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
I had my doubts about the climb until I played it at a friends, then bought it soon after, it works surprisingly well with the xbox controller, but the price is prety steep for what you get.

loving fedex just updated my delivery as "customer not available" which is BULLSHIT. I've been here, they've not been here, there is no card on the door or in the letterbox. On the phone the CS guy is trying to say they will try again tomorrow. No. I called this morning to confirm it was today and took the day off work. It's only 3pm here now, I'm less than an hours drive from the fedex depot. So angry right now.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

monkey posted:

I had my doubts about the climb until I played it at a friends, then bought it soon after, it works surprisingly well with the xbox controller, but the price is prety steep for what you get.

loving fedex just updated my delivery as "customer not available" which is BULLSHIT. I've been here, they've not been here, there is no card on the door or in the letterbox. On the phone the CS guy is trying to say they will try again tomorrow. No. I called this morning to confirm it was today and took the day off work. It's only 3pm here now, I'm less than an hours drive from the fedex depot. So angry right now.

Deliveries always gently caress up the most when you want something the most, sorry man :(

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Can't avoid the trolls, I guess, even in the Vive dedicated thread.

Cojawfee posted:

I guess the irony is lost on people who at one point complained that a headset exclusive is like making a game exclusive to one brand of monitor and now they've made their own thread for a monitor. I'll just keep posting about VR here. Maybe we do need a new VR thread though. I'm thinking about making a VR megathread once Oculus Touch comes out so there will be less console warrioring about the capabilities of various headsets.

lol, yes it is just lost on us. It's not as if the poo poo-posting didn't just get so toxic we had to split because even the slightest critique got some people probated over stupid poo poo.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Cojawfee is just a oculus shill that really should have copped a probation at the same time as knifegrab given how much he loves to jerk off Oculus but he has a little more self control then knifegrab

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Its true I lack self control, but its hard when talking about either how awesome the Vive is. Or when talking about how much Oculus is loving over consumers.

At least I've constructed a legit dope thread that is informative and helpful. Mods are pretty one-sided smh, though that last mod post in this thread was pretty ok I guess.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 24, 2016

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
To avoid turning this into "talking about that other thread the thread", even if I recognize my last post didn't exactly help in that direction, I don't really quite understand the end goal that Oculus is going for.

Not delaying until their production queues were in order so they could ship faster, not delaying until the Touch was ready so they could provide a more equal experience for the same price or a little more than the Vive to stay competitive, it all just strikes me as really odd. I realize that Rift owners only see it as a temporary thing, that when the Touch launches they are going to be in roomscale as well, and the differences between the two HMD's will diminish significantly, but the problem is that it isn't fixed today and one of them is already out and doesn't have to wait, but the other not only has to wait, but will cost extra, which is a lot to ask for when you've already shilled out a ton of dosh for a VR headset in the first place and it strikes me as a bit ludicrous to expect customers to pay extra for something the other company gives out of the box.

Seeing as "just a delay" is really problematic because time really is of the essence in more ways than I think they realize. More time passing means more competitors will rise to the challenge first, provide a better experience on top of what is already out there and CV2 and ViveČ will be in production before these things come out that places them on supposed equal footing.

We're not dealing with development kits anymore, these things are supposedly consumer products and that means faster iterations, copies, new versions, new software, new hardware and peripherals are going to heavily contest every advantage that Rift holds even now, so really, the ZEITGEIST is what matters.

It being delayed is a huge thing, but is played off as "it'll get there".

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I can't order a Vive?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

To avoid turning this into "talking about that other thread the thread", even if I recognize my last post didn't exactly help in that direction, I don't really quite understand the end goal that Oculus is going for.

Not delaying until their production queues were in order so they could ship faster, not delaying until the Touch was ready so they could provide a more equal experience for the same price or a little more than the Vive to stay competitive, it all just strikes me as really odd. I realize that Rift owners only see it as a temporary thing, that when the Touch launches they are going to be in roomscale as well, and the differences between the two HMD's will diminish significantly, but the problem is that it isn't fixed today and one of them is already out and doesn't have to wait, but the other not only has to wait, but will cost extra, which is a lot to ask for when you've already shilled out a ton of dosh for a VR headset in the first place and it strikes me as a bit ludicrous to expect customers to pay extra for something the other company gives out of the box.

Seeing as "just a delay" is really problematic because time really is of the essence in more ways than I think they realize. More time passing means more competitors will rise to the challenge first, provide a better experience on top of what is already out there and CV2 and ViveČ will be in production before these things come out that places them on supposed equal footing.

We're not dealing with development kits anymore, these things are supposedly consumer products and that means faster iterations, copies, new versions, new software, new hardware and peripherals are going to heavily contest every advantage that Rift holds even now, so really, the ZEITGEIST is what matters.

It being delayed is a huge thing, but is played off as "it'll get there".

I don't really understand their delays either. Their whole touch model steams really bizarre. Palmer claiming that controllers suck for input, but then the touch is like literally half of a controller (standard buttons on top, a joystick for fucks sake). A lot of people are really saying that the touch "look cooler, and less clunky" The vive wands have never felt the least bit clunk to me and who the gently caress cares what vr looks like, you're always gonna look like an idiot to an outside observer.

Also it seems like the touch was working pretty well quite some time ago, so why the delay still?

Also the delay hurts them for a ton of reasons, the obvious ones not withstanding but now say I am a developer considering the rift, do I target single camera standard rift package? Do I target multiple cameras for a less occlusive seated 180 degree experience, or do I target opposing wall dual camera roomscale setup? Clearly Oculus is even marketting the touch as a seated experience so what is their end goal? To completely split what audience a developer might choose to develop for?

At least with the vive is pretty obvious what you are targetting. The only real limitation is how a user might set up his play area, and he might calibrate for standing or sitting. But even still I suspect that is largely a small slice of vive users, whereas with rift users, I imagine many will not ever get the touch and the second camera which severely limits what you can market to an audience.

I want to see Oculus fail. Not because I bought the other HMD but because their policies are creating a VR tech-space I don't want to see come to fruition, a exclusive walled-garden hellscape. I'd be 100% cool if Oculus didn't pull this stupid bullshit of locking down their market as a hopes to try and cajole people into buying their headset. Freedom of choice is incredibly important, and Oculus is trying to bully people into choosing what headset is best, not based on the hardware, but based on the software. Something that has been a part of the console wars forever but since the Glide API has been, thankfully, absent in PC gaming. Everything they do lately just reeks of anti-consumer bullshit. If you support them moving forward you're basically saying with your wallet "Please split the PC community down the middle into two tribal camps of HMD brands!" Whereas I'd love a future where I have a Vive and my friend has a rift and we can play all the same games, on the same platform and not give a poo poo like any other display technology up until this point.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Oh good Knifegrab you're here. I went to order a Vive and HTC wouldn't let me. I had another look at the OP and it didn't say anything about it. Is there a work around or do I just have to wait and check back every day or what?

Edit: Also, has anyone tried the truck simulators with a Vive? Is it good?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

TomR posted:

Oh good Knifegrab you're here. I went to order a Vive and HTC wouldn't let me. I had another look at the OP and it didn't say anything about it. Is there a work around or do I just have to wait and check back every day or what?

What country are you in? Just tried from the US, says in stock, expected to ship around June 2016.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Canada.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

TomR posted:

Sorry no idea, I know they accidentally put it as out of stock before but they quickly reverted it. I'd check back in the morning, if it still says that make a Reddit thread, they're really helpful on /r/vive.

Haven't tried any truck simulators sorry!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Seems Canada and Japan are the ones with a currently short supply for some reason. Try to order from the US site TomR, but chose destination country to be Canada.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
Spent all last night preparing my lovely studio apartment for the arrival of my Vive today. At least with my headset on I won't get depressed looking at the awful configuration of my furniture.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
If you go the truck simulator route, be sure to buy a desktop fan to get that true 'living in your own filth' experience!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Knifegrab posted:

The Climb looks neat but I don't really get wanting to play a game that features hands prominently but does not utilize motion controls, but maybe motion controls wouldn't' work for climbing I dunno, I'd try it if it were reasonably priced which it isn't. Maybe Oculus Home will have sale and the game will be chea- hahaha good joke.

This is the main one I'm bummed about missing out on, but... yeah, as much as it seems like the game would be a great fit for motion controls, the more I think about it the worse it actually seems. The game is all about the physics of movement and with your arms both moving independently I don't see how that would work, if you get what I mean - like, you're holding on with your left arm, and move down your right arm... in game, your left arm moves because your right arm has made your body move? Or it doesn't move and your arms get super long? Or...? I dunno. Maybe there's a way to make it work, but it seems very hard. Motion controls for independently moving things that move with that particular arm are one thing, actually interacting with fixed surfaces and using both arms to move your body based on very specific handholds is another.

Also, I'm not sure I'd want to play for long with my arms hanging in the air above my head.

I think the controller was probably the right choice for that game.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mordaedil posted:

Seems Canada and Japan are the ones with a currently short supply for some reason. Try to order from the US site TomR, but chose destination country to be Canada.

yes Canada is still hosed for supply, which makes no sense as they ship out of IA just like everyone else's. US orders are at a 2 week lead time and people from end of march are still waiting in Canada. It's great.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Oh forget it then. I'll check back in the fall.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.indiegala.com/vrbundle

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I've never heard of any of these games and they look awful. Why do I want to buy this?

edit: looks also like a lot do not work natively on vive?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Walrus posted:

I've never heard of any of these games and they look awful. Why do I want to buy this?

Some of them apparently only support the DK2...

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

The Walrus posted:

I have no clue on the quality of any of the titles. I just thought it was funny that there's already a VR trash bundle.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SimonChris posted:

Some of them apparently only support the DK2...

The Oculus Platform API is a dumpster fire. They have like five different versions of the runtime drivers now, and I think only the latest one supports the CV1. So if the devs didn't update their code then you need the older headset.

The real fun is going to come in when Oculus cuts off DK2 support, which probably means that anything using the 1.3 runtime will suddenly stop working for DK2 users. Their support page says they're supporting it to the end of 2016, and I wouldn't expect them to extend that.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 24, 2016

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sliderule posted:

I have no clue on the quality of any of the titles. I just thought it was funny that there's already a VR trash bundle.

well when you post it without comment or context in two separate threads, you can understand how people might get the wrong idea??

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

sliderule posted:

Mm.. Yes *already* a trash bundle for a bunch of games for an HMD made years ago. You sure showed everyone.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yup, I'm a bad poster.

Content: I'm also still waiting for my preorder in Canada, which is okay because I'm still waiting for the 1070 to drop.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Just an FYI Reggie Watts will be doing a VR performance in altspace this Thursday. I'm a huge fan so I will definitely be checking it out.

http://altvr.com/reggie-watts/

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Not trolling, but what are some good vive titles that are standing only, ie not seated and not roomscale?

At the moment I have only about 1m x 2.5m, and from around waist down even that is obscured by desks and monitors from one of the trackers. I will be setting up a 5m x 3m space in the garage soon, but for now, I'd like to see some more things on the vive I can actually use. Portal stories and tiltbrush are really the only things I've found so far that are sortof usable.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

monkey posted:

Not trolling, but what are some good vive titles that are standing only, ie not seated and not roomscale?

At the moment I have only about 1m x 2.5m, and from around waist down even that is obscured by desks and monitors from one of the trackers. I will be setting up a 5m x 3m space in the garage soon, but for now, I'd like to see some more things on the vive I can actually use. Portal stories and tiltbrush are really the only things I've found so far that are sortof usable.

Audio Shield is standing only, you can choose a very tiny balloon ship in Hover Junkers that will only require you to spin around, Holopoint doesn't really require you to move very much except for turning around, Vanishing Realms you can stand still and teleport everywhere, same with the Gallery... I think that's most of what I've played.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lemming posted:

Audio Shield is standing only, you can choose a very tiny balloon ship in Hover Junkers that will only require you to spin around, Holopoint doesn't really require you to move very much except for turning around, Vanishing Realms you can stand still and teleport everywhere, same with the Gallery... I think that's most of what I've played.

I agree with all of these except Holopoint I think really benefits from moving. I think that game would be even more challenging then it already is if I were only standing. Its probably do-able but it would be akin to playing Space Pirate Trainer standing.

Job Simulator and Fantastic Contraption I believe could both be played standing, though again they are both a bit better with some wiggle room.

I mean a lot of games could be played standing just fine, but they are made a better having the space to walk around in. I think a better question is what games should you not play without roomscale?

On that list I'd say:

-Space Pirate Trainer
-Holopoint

(maybe more will think on this)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

I agree with all of these except Holopoint I think really benefits from moving. I think that game would be even more challenging then it already is if I were only standing. Its probably do-able but it would be akin to playing Space Pirate Trainer standing.

Job Simulator and Fantastic Contraption I believe could both be played standing, though again they are both a bit better with some wiggle room.

I mean a lot of games could be played standing just fine, but they are made a better having the space to walk around in. I think a better question is what games should you not play without roomscale?

On that list I'd say:

-Space Pirate Trainer
-Holopoint

(maybe more will think on this)

Holopoint vs SPT is a little different, since the only things you can dodge in Holopoint are the projectiles, and those only come one at a time and they come pretty quickly, and only a few at a time. Walking doesn't help there, you pretty much just need to lean back and forth. You can't run from the ground guys either, you might want to but practically it doesn't help at all. I tried walking around a bit at first but once you get into it a bit you just kind of spin and sway back and forth. In SPT the enemies shoot streams of shots at you, so if you only lean over, you'll still get hit, so you need to move.

Edit: Not to say it's not better with roomscale, you'll certainly want to jump back when a samurai idiot sneaks up on you or move when a block is above your head, but you could play it and have a reasonably good experience if you didn't have much room

Edit2: vvvvvvvvvvv I had really, really inconsistent results when trying to point blank those guys, they move really fast and once they start their swing you can only sometimes hit them so I stopped bothering

Lemming fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 24, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lemming posted:

Holopoint vs SPT is a little different, since the only things you can dodge in Holopoint are the projectiles, and those only come one at a time and they come pretty quickly, and only a few at a time. Walking doesn't help there, you pretty much just need to lean back and forth. You can't run from the ground guys either, you might want to but practically it doesn't help at all. I tried walking around a bit at first but once you get into it a bit you just kind of spin and sway back and forth. In SPT the enemies shoot streams of shots at you, so if you only lean over, you'll still get hit, so you need to move.

I have found back stepping from the ground guys has helped me immensely if I miss a shot when they are close and I need just that extra second to take them out.

I have also backstepped into a wall doing this :downs:

I agree that it could be played standing I just think it would suffer more than most other games from not giving you room. But again you could do it. Hell really any game that is roomscale could be a standing experience.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I lie about my room scales actual size. Dodging has me jumping into desks. Works if I dodge.. carefully. The thing about SPT and Holopoint is they don't let me quickly reset to the center of the room like The Lab does.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

OpenVR SDK just launched 1.0.0 which gives developers access to the front facing camera: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr/releases/tag/v1.0.0

Could be interesting to see how people make use of it.

Also Minecrift for Vive just launched v4, it is becoming better and better: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4ku9yi/ujrbudda_is_updating_minecrift_and_its_doing_an/

Full list of changes made to it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4ku9yi/ujrbudda_is_updating_minecrift_and_its_doing_an/d3hsg0h

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Got my Vive about a week ago and I'm loving it so far. Looking for some more stuff to try though. I want to try out Call of Starseed and Vanishing Realms but will probably wait for the next steam sale. Has anyone tried that rogue-like dungeon crawler, Legend of Luca?

I have the stuff the Vive came with, Catlateral Damage, Gunjack, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, SPT, and 5089. 5089 is actually really fun for a game made by and for people with Aspergers.

Any other recommendations? Anyone know of some cool home brew VR games/experiences, or mods for existing games that work well with Vive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I'm a big fan of Fanatic Games and what they've done for vr. They're a new developer who have only put out a few small tech demos but their main game Book of Ignasius is pretty good. It's an RPG where you play as a journalist in the Philippines. It uses the same warp gameplay mechanic as all other vive games but it does a lot of cool things for the genre. I never thought I would be replicating moving the focus on a DSR lens with something actually attached to my face!

All in all if you're looking for something new and unique to play on your vive, may I recommend something by Fanatic Games?

• Locked thread