Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Per posted:

How does one move around in an open world game like Minecraft?

You can also walk. Just beware the cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Truga posted:

Subnautica would be so good in VR if it wasn't for the *constant* terrain loading stutter. That poo poo makes me feel off.

Subnautica is completely broken for me as of a couple updates ago, tried expirimental and no luck. Real sad because even with the bad performance its one of the bigger VR games right now and I'd love to play.

The menu simply breaks VR instantly. Any time I open up the Menu, to save or change an option or anything, the cursor is left frozen in mid-air where the menu had popped up, and the game logic never recovers. Everything breaks, unable to interact or properly turn around or anything because of that frozen cursor in mid-air.

So I have to reboot the game every time I want to save :v: I would file a bug report but Subnautica's development seems pretty hosed up.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Just so you guys know, the main author of Vivecraft (yes they are officially calling it that now) has been flying with updates, so constantly keep checking his page: https://github.com/jrbudda/minecrift/releases

Currently he claims to have some form of forge support which I know some of you were clamoring for.

Also Waltz of the Wizard is out now for free: http://store.steampowered.com/app/436820

GO CHECK IT OUT! I will be trying it tonight.

edit: Lol this is funny

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 31, 2016

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Knifegrab posted:

Just so you guys know, the main author of Vivecraft (yes they are officially calling it that now) has been flying with updates, so constantly keep checking his page: https://github.com/jrbudda/minecrift/releases

Currently he claims to have some form of forge support which I know some of you were clamoring for.

Also Waltz of the Wizard is out now for free: http://store.steampowered.com/app/436820

GO CHECK IT OUT! I will be trying it tonight.

edit: Lol this is funny

I put my neighbor's 10 year old inside minecraft and it about blew his little mind. She's not thanking me for doing so, because now it's all he wants.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Knifegrab posted:

This looks like fun times.

As soon as somebody makes a Hogwarts virtual reality MMO they'll print money.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

This looks like fun times.

As soon as somebody makes a Hogwarts virtual reality MMO they'll print money.

You would think Warner Bros would cash out on this with Pay-2-VR rooms at their Harry-Potter parks where you can swing your wands around or straddle a broom and play some vr quidditch.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Poetic Justice posted:

So that Pool Nation VR game comes out tomorrow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAo2FoifcSE

Looks like it should be pretty fun.

Figured I'd cross post this for hype.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

VR being this generations ham radio and marketed strictly to terminal dweebs surely means I will be able to use this with glasses right?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jimlit posted:

VR being this generations ham radio and marketed strictly to terminal dweebs surely means I will be able to use this with glasses right?

poor analogy but yes

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

The Walrus posted:

poor analogy but yes

Is it like movie 3d glasses where they just made enough room for the specs.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Jimlit posted:

Is it like movie 3d glasses where they just made enough room for the specs.

I wouldn't call it exactly roomy but I wear HUGE nerdy specs and it fits in the vive. The rift is smaller and has more trouble accommodating glasses.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
with the one caveat that while they will fit, you will get a narrower FOV due to the lens being further away from your eye (the distance is adjustable for glasses wearers)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

The Walrus posted:

with the one caveat that while they will fit, you will get a narrower FOV due to the lens being further away from your eye (the distance is adjustable for glasses wearers)

So still a bigger FOV than the rift right :P

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jimlit posted:

The VIVE has clear cutouts on the sides of the inside of the headset for where glasses will fit. Its not ideal and if you are comfortable with contacts I think that'd be the way to go, but it definitely does seem to work out okay if you have to. I mean, glasses + HMD is just one more thing to make the whole process that much clunkier and uncomfortable, but it shouldn't be too bad.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

So still a bigger FOV than the rift right :P

oh, "That's Our Knifegrab!"

*laugh track*

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Glad to see the free VR gaming device is now the leader on the forums.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

The VIVE has clear cutouts on the sides of the inside of the headset for where glasses will fit. Its not ideal and if you are comfortable with contacts I think that'd be the way to go, but it definitely does seem to work out okay if you have to. I mean, glasses + HMD is just one more thing to make the whole process that much clunkier and uncomfortable, but it shouldn't be too bad.

There is a lot adding (hardware ect...) to the barrier to entry but having to make an appointment for some gaming contacts might be too much. Will look into a demo locations near me.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Glad to see the free VR gaming device is now the leader on the forums.

Whoa 3d head is winning?!

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha
Waltz of the Wizard is pretty amazing, will be one of my go to demo's now.

But, is there a way to teleport around the room? I want to check some of the stuff out but can't figure out how to get to it. Maybe I need to unlock a spell first?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Waltz of the wizard is pretty cute. Again its not really a game its a short experience but its well done and charming, excellent demo material plus its free!

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

VR is worse with glasses. Too bad they couldn't fit focus adjustment in this generation.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Just get contacts you neeeerrds

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

No one wearing glasses has had problems with my Vive, though they were all wearing smaller frames.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Deuce posted:

Just get contacts you neeeerrds

Yeah I wear contacts, but I tried the headsets with glasses and it's simply not as good. GearVR allows for focal adjustment (not for individual eyes) by moving the phone closer or farther to the lens.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I might get a laser operation, but I have no issues with my huge glasses in the Vive.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Everyone who can get LASIK should get LASIK. It's the greatest thing ever. I had it done almost 4 years ago now and it's still amazing. I can't imagine going back to contacts and glasses again.

Looking forward to trying the updated Elite and also Waltz of the Wizard soon. Good times for VR!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

If anyone plays pool nation please let me know how it is!

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Knifegrab posted:

If anyone plays pool nation please let me know how it is!

I suck at pool in real life and I suck at pool in this, so I'd say it's a pretty accurate simulation. Seems kind of resource-heavy, have to run it on low on my 970 to keep things at 90 FPS, though I'll have to mess with my overclock and see if I can get it to medium. The bar is populated with people all doing the same "I'm shy" animation. You can knock a bunch of beer bottles off the table and wear a party hat. Haven't tried online yet because I have social anxiety

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I think the problem with a pool VR game is that you're peering at a distance at one point. In VR terms, this equates to focusing narrowly on a small section of a low-resolution screen. This will not be enjoyable on VR, at least in Gen 1.

I could see it working even without the ability to lean on the table if screen resolutions improve dramatically.

e: I suppose the same could be said of long range shooting.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 2, 2016

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's actually pretty awesome, with some weird easily fixable flaws (whats with all those very short people hanging around?!).

I can hit a steady 90fps on Medium with my GTX 980. Seems pretty resource intensive but the game still looks great at medium anyway.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
waltz of the wizard is pretty ho hum except for the first power which turns you into magneto and will have even the most stone hearted among us cackling like a maniac.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
How do we get the free games for the vive? It turned up on tuesday and there's no mention of how to claim the free games anywhere.

It was ordered for us to work on by someone who checked out as guest so there's no login information. we made a new account on the vive website using the same email address it was ordered with and the website is covered in 'order now' buttons and doesnt acknowledge that we've got one. No numbers to register anywhere either. Have we hosed ourselves out of the free games?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

cubicle gangster posted:

How do we get the free games for the vive? It turned up on tuesday and there's no mention of how to claim the free games anywhere.

It was ordered for us to work on by someone who checked out as guest so there's no login information. we made a new account on the vive website using the same email address it was ordered with and the website is covered in 'order now' buttons and doesnt acknowledge that we've got one. No numbers to register anywhere either. Have we hosed ourselves out of the free games?

You should have gotten an email with a steam code. Check your spam filter, and all your subfolders. Search All Mail. Barring that start up a chat with support (may god help you).

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Only got 2 emails - an order confirmation, and the shipping confirmation. does it come from @htc?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

yes, specifically feedback@email-htc com

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Obduction got pushed back to July 26, but its almost done. Launching on PC and Mac and Oclulus Rift.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to toss ReVIVE into it and get everything working day-1 on the VIVE, since it sounds like they won't be officially supporting it for awhile. Should be fine though?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

The amount of Oculus Exclusives is such a shameful and lovely thing that is happening. I don't understand why anyone thinks splitting the base of users is a good idea. I love that content is being created but I hate what Oculus/Facebook is clearly trying to do.

Some people create really cool things in tilt brush still:

https://gfycat.com/SplendidVelvetyAcouchi

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 2, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Better they be Oculus than Vive exclusives, since ReVive is really easy to use.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Better they be Oculus than Vive exclusives, since ReVive is really easy to use.

Vive will likely never have exclusives since all vive games rely on OpenVR I thought, which is platform agnostic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I thought there was a Vive specific one, but everyone uses OpenVR anyway. Oh well, still good for us.

• Locked thread