Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

dethkon posted:

What's up with Chicago gangs? Did somebody important die or get locked up, and there's like a power vacuum? Are they fighting over heroin territory? Is there any kind of command structure at all, or is just America's Nightmare (children with guns)?

tldr on Chicago:

Breaking up the big gangs has led to splintered "blocks," or small scale street gangs that spring up on a specific street (e.g. 87th st. Satan's Disciples). the problem is, when the larger gangs were around the leadership was all about the money and reduced violence. If you hurt or killed an innocent you'd be dealt with internally.

Now the blocks are splintered and have social media beefs. A 92nd st. Satan's Disciple member could very well have beef with one on the aforementioned 87th st. The net result is exploding violence in the south ad west sides.

As a sidenote, the extreme lack of economic prospects in those neighborhoods has led to the residents coming north and robbing people in the downtown and northside. Cue scared white people.

Had a friend get killed under the red line at belmont (near wrigley field) for $15 and an iPhone. His murderer was out on bail for assault on a peace officer with a machete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Immortan posted:

Oh boy, we can't break up gangs too big to fail!

Hahaha, that's the best response I've heard yet.

Naw I think it was step in the right direction. The real answer probably lies in a very expensive, successful social program combined with some type of hard drug legalization/recovery scheme.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

ChesterJT posted:

YTD Shot & Killed: 1404 (219killed/1185wounded)
YTD Police involved: 6 (4killed/2wounded)

Yes Chicago PD is surely the source of the problem.

Lol, these other commenters are morons. Suspects have taken to running and shooting back at police. The sentences imposed here mean they will be out in 2-3 years if not given probation, so whats to lose by letting loose with the chopper (gun in white people speak).

There are racist cops, we can only look to John Burge to prove that, just don't buy in to all the media's reports.

The last fellow killed by a police officer here had many Facebook photos posing with guns, but instead his junior high graduation picture was used for national media. The outlets that picked it up here had no problem showing his gang affiliation.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Chief Keef tried to put on a concert via hologram which was quickly shut down, due to him being wanted on warrants here. I hear he says California is chill, and he has his own weed dispensary tho...

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Darth123123 posted:

Some of that red line I ride from the north river hotel area to the Cubs is sketchy af. I'm white.

Maybe the people on it with you, the neighborhoods your'e passing through are expensive.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Microwaves Mom posted:

I take the redline a lot and its fine north of chinatown. It smells like piss and it has bums here and there but its fine.

Lol Jackson isn't a dangerous place on the redline to the guy saying hyatt area is scary.

Even worse, he's saying the gold coast, river north, old town, and lakeview. Please never leave your safe suburb, or highly guarded doorman building.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Sperghetti posted:

I got stuck for a couple hours behind the wrong side of a Mexican (?) pride parade last year in a lovely neighborhood in Chicago trying to get back to Douglas Park. Maybe give some of the guns to those guys, trim down the parade line?

Hahahaha the Puerto Rican parade. You have a better chance of catching a bullet there than eating elotes.

EDIT: http://abc7chicago.com/news/shooting-after-puerto-rican-peoples-day-parade-caught-on-tape-/796956/

The Sicilian fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
http://kollegekidd.com/news/little-chicago-boy-says-f-the-police-during-arrest-i-shoot-at-yall-for-a-living/

Kollege Kid posted:

Footage shows the little boy screaming at his arresting officers.

“F**k CPD,” he said. “I shoot at y’all for a living.”

Welp.

• Locked thread