Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I cant decide if I want to play seriously or do my usual and have some fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Usual stupid answers incoming.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wash out evidence of dead hookers is cleaning the car?????? Yeah like Robot, that's not cleaning, thats removing evidence!

If I was playing serious, this is what my answers would have been...

1. Photos
2. One last thrash / burnout
3. Russia
4.1970's
5. Ayrton Senna
6. Gulf
7. Toyota WRC turbo cheat
8. Self Driving Cars
9. Mustang
10.Ford Taurus
11. Corvette
12. Mustang
13. Ralph Nader
14. LS1
15. Rotary
16.Maintenace nightmare engine bays
17. 2
18. Mooecow's truck

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Most of the cars from Japan and Europe were loving godawful pieces of poo poo in the 70's, despite a small handful of good cars escaping. For ever one gem (and I would dispute for instance the Stratos or the Countach are good cars - hooooly poo poo both in person and to drive are godawful! and the Celica? good? WHAT? Oh dear God, I grew up with friends who had them, gently caress the 70's Celicas, the 70's Accords were also turds) you get pieces of poo poo like the 120Y or the Galant / Lancer or just about any British car or ... wow the there's layers of Italian cars that are hosed up as well, the Corolla was just rotten, there's the Corona and row upon row of irredeemable poo poo Japan was building. Let alone the beginnings of emission control that strangled the gently caress out of the engines and that some of the most genuinely loving awful cars ever made came out of the 70's.

The 1940's dont really count for cars, given what happened. They were just cars. They didn't produce the actual genuine "What the ever living gently caress were they thinking??" layers of poo poo that just about every car maker spewed out in the 70's.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

Also the worst 10 years of cars was 1975 to 1985. Emissions restrictions, the death of true muscle cars, teething problems with EFI, and some flat out junk.

In many ways I would suggest the 1973 oil crisis was the real trigger for just how bad 1970's cars got. The entire industry had to change in a blink of an eye, results were hosed up as a result.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

But the 240Z and 510 and 620 and Roadster and 2002 and Bavaria and Giulia Super and Montreal and dentside F-trucks and Novas.

1969, 1968, Oh HELL NO thats a turd, 1960's, 1966, 1968, Alfa, 1970 is still the 60's :P , ehhhhhhhh not really good, 1969

There's actually a lot of cars people think of as 70's that actually are 60's in design and release. Huh, the 60's was actually quite a good decade.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ssjonizuka posted:

Man, you sheeple are so predictable. :smug:

quote:

1. Photos
2. One last thrash / burnout
3. Russia
4.1970's
5. Ayrton Senna
6. Gulf

1 and 2 not so good, 3-6 nailed it if I was actually playing seriously. 5 and 6 was pretty easy to work out the sheep answer.

quote:

Anthony Joseph Goddamn Foyt, Junior.

Not a bloody chance, Foyt is not even top ten of greatest drivers. Jackie Stewart, Jim Clark, Sebastian Loeb, a whole list of 50's and 60's racers and frankly the list goes on. Oh and Stirling Moss. That's just off the top of my head. Picking Foyt is every bit as silly as saying Peter Brock is the world's best - an equally long list of all sorts of racing wins over a huge amount of time but no, he's only arguably the best from Australia. Foyt might be the best US driver but he's in no way the best driver ever.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 16, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

SFH1989 posted:

If you're going to go by driver's who had the majority of their success in the same basic type of racing then the true greatest driver ever is clear: John Force

Except I for one didn't do that. Clark, Stewart, Moss and many others didn't have careers solely around open wheelers - Moss for example did a lot of Targas and I'd regard his win the 1955 Mille Migilia as the single best drive by any driver ... who beat a guy called Jaun Manuel Fangio by 32 minutes.

Oh geez, I forgot Tazio Nuvolari. Success on bikes AND cars

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 16, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

???? Someone thought he fan car was a cheat when it was declared legal at the time????

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Gotta say, Terrist, ShittyPostmakerPro is kicking your butt. You're both gunning for wolf, but at least his answers are plausible and not complete non-sequiturs.

Do I look like I care? :D

quote:

The "fan cars" - Brabham BT76 and Chaparral 2J - 4

Seriously guys - that wasn't a cheat. A very clever reading of the rules, allowed to race and banned afterwards. However...

quote:

Smokey Yunick's 7/8-scale Chevelle - 8

WTF? Holy crap I'm going to go have a read on that one, that's loving impressive

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

I can't remember whether it raced under appeal or not but there was alot of politics surrounding that car, the legality of it hinged on the primary purpose of that fan being for cooling which I doubt would've stood up if there was a serious appeal to the result of that race.

It was allowed to race until the end of the season, it was however withdrawn from racing by the team after it's sole win. The win was ratified by the FIA - over 50% of the fan's use was for cooling.

quote:

And that, I think, is the definition of the best cheat

And as said, it was declared legal at the time but later banned. If it was cheating, it would never have raced or won races, given how blatant it was - and I add the actual primary concern / howling by other teams wasnt the ground effects but the stones and poo poo being kicked up. And a lot of clever reading of the rules happens all the time, is declared legal but later banned, no one is charged with cheating. We are talking about the FIA who just fined Hyundai 50 grand for windows that had to be trimmed a few mms to fit.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ssjonizuka posted:

What are you doing with pictures of my wife!?!?

(Really, I don't get the reference, but you still better not be taking pictures of my wife!)

Also, not first anymore. Balance is restored

:ughh: FFS, it's was supposed to be KATHERINE.jpg - that's what I get for not checking before sending.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I'd have done pretty well if I had played this seriously.

quote:

I was thinking the same thing. Unless you're splitting up each version of the AMC six as well, a gen4 SBC and a gen1 SBC should be the same for the purposes of the game.

The earlier SBC and the LSx are so different, they cant be called the same engine. Like for the fact one is cast iron, the other is alloy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ephphatha posted:

Yeah, that was such a hard choice. I was tossing up between the wrx baja, kev's van, that insane turbo'd civic, moocows truck and probably more I'm forgetting but put the bosu ute first in the end.

Well for me it would have been a easy choice - the Mooecow thread was a guy so out of his depth that he copped a fair bit of razzing for trying on what looked to be a hopeless basket case. As the thread on he learned then began to really make that truck come together till it became restoration magic. The results were jaw dropping esp given what Mooecow started with... and then he did it again with the Divco. The first is easily the more memorable just because of what he started with.

Or I could have picked KB's WRC rally tank but we havent really been showing that one off :)

• Locked thread