Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

EbolaIvory posted:

The 1080 is faster and for 50 bucks you’d be dumb to not go that route.

499-509 all day long on 1080s.

There’s 4 1080s on Amazon for 504-508
I picked mine up for 509 from Newegg.

The ones I see like that on Amazon are a Gigabyte one with a blower that looks really loud, and an MSI card that's out of stock. I think I may have to pay a little more to get one with more fans and sinking.

e: because I have a baby and my study is near where he sleeps :)

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

Brightman posted:

All of those are in the collection pack 1 with some other games like space pirate trainer for $100. I think the others were I Expect You to Die, some RC car thing I haven't tried yet, and eagle flight something. If you want those three it's probably worth it. SPT and IEYTD are good too.

Edit: RC thing is Blaze Rush. Collection Pack 1

It also lowers the price if you already own some.

I appreciate the tip! My issue is that I've budgeted myself at $50 for VR titles during the rampant captialism holiday period. Figured with Lone Echo normally being $40 and Superhot $25 if they were both on sale I would likely be able to do both. Meh. I'll see if they do anything different on 'Cyber Monday' as was previously suggested, though I doubt it. If not I'll probably just get Lone Echo, since I've read both here and elsewhere that it ranks in the top 3 favorites among those that played it.

I had From Other Suns preordered, so I can romp in that some more over the weekend. Speaking of which, any goons playing that one on the reg? I have yet to co-op in it..

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TheKeeper posted:

I appreciate the tip! My issue is that I've budgeted myself at $50 for VR titles during the rampant captialism holiday period. Figured with Lone Echo normally being $40 and Superhot $25 if they were both on sale I would likely be able to do both. Meh. I'll see if they do anything different on 'Cyber Monday' as was previously suggested, though I doubt it. If not I'll probably just get Lone Echo, since I've read both here and elsewhere that it ranks in the top 3 favorites among those that played it.

I had From Other Suns preordered, so I can romp in that some more over the weekend. Speaking of which, any goons playing that one on the reg? I have yet to co-op in it..

I`d love to hear some FOS impressions. I liked the demo ok but it seemed like it might be a bit thin.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Seashell Salesman posted:

The ones I see like that on Amazon are a Gigabyte one with a blower that looks really loud, and an MSI card that's out of stock. I think I may have to pay a little more to get one with more fans and sinking.

If he's anything like my daughter white noise of a computer fan might actually help. We purposefully didn't make it a point to be quiet around the baby and now at two she sleeps like a log through anything. Everyone's situation is different of course.

Also enjoy your VR headset whilst you don't have a little munchkin running around waiting to be stepped on :).

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Isometric Bacon posted:

If he's anything like my daughter white noise of a computer fan might actually help. We purposefully didn't make it a point to be quiet around the baby and now at two she sleeps like a log through anything. Everyone's situation is different of course.

Also enjoy your VR headset whilst you don't have a little munchkin running around waiting to be stepped on :).

This is also a good point.

I own the 3 fan windforce model. Its really not very loud even full tilt. :)
Idle and most flat screen gaming you wont even hear it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

TheKeeper posted:

I gotta say the Oculus store sucks in regards to sales. This morning I thought to myself now would be a good time to pick up Lone Echo and Superhot VR since it's Black Friday and surely everything on the site is on sale to some extent!

Nope. Neither one is. Ok, well, I enjoy a good dungeon crawl; I guess I'll give Mage's Tale a shot..

Not on sale.

What the everloving gently caress??

I've seen mage's tale on sale for 50% off a number of times, but I guess both of those being part of the package would kind of render the package deal pointless if they were on sale separately anyways. Its a good pack, probably the best since all the games in it are pretty quality, fun games, but otherwise if you've just budgeted 50 or so for games, yeah you'll probably find mage's tale on sale again at some point (and its worth it, fun game).

Isometric Bacon posted:

This is an incredible idea. Work has done some laser + photogrammetry scans that I have access too and I've been mucking about with them trying to see if I can get a decent mesh out of it that I can experiment with retopologising. I'm definitely going to have to try this.

Problem at the moment is I can't find a decent laser + photogrammetry program that isn't stupidly expensive or locked behind a subscription.

I've tried meshlab, but since my initial geometry has so many holes the poission reconstruction creates giant bubbles everywhere. Ball pivot always crashes.

I got an amazing laser mesh + photo reconstruction out of Autodesk Recap Pro, this one looks great. But one caveat is you need to upload your project to their servers to do the conversion.

I want to try Reality Capture but it looks like the free version disables mesh export. I'll have to see if I can get a trial and experiment.

I've been repairing and painting what I've managed to get out in Blender - but I love the idea of using Medium. Seems very zen. When I last tried I had difficulty since whenever I scaled the model up the z (up) offset was too high and I couldn't actually reach anything. I assume I can just offset that in Blender though and reimport - I just haven't tried it yet.

Its incredibly zen, though I haven't done much actual work with it yet because I've been focusing on solving all the little issues before I start the big projects in it. However I've been working with Chadzok who's been putting everything i've been testing into practice and has already come out with some astounding results in the time he's been working with it. I think my favorite part is being able to just use the 'smooth' tool. Theres so much lumpyness to a lot of photogrammetry, especially on flat surfaces without a lot of texture to them, and 5 seconds of the smooth tool just fixes everything. Its brilliant.

I figured out how to import the meshes now into medium while also retaining the vertex colors, so when its turned to clay its not just a white blob, which makes it 10 times as easy to work on, and see what you're actually working on. Easier not only because you don't have to rely on references to remember "is this blob the table or part of the wall?", but also because when turned to clay medium will have artifacts here and there that weren't in the initial mesh, and they stand out as pure white against the colour of the actual scene. I only know specifically how photoscan handles things (though I've been told it should work for reality capture as well), but essentially, I exported the mesh without textures as a .PLY file. Opened that file in meshlab, then exported it from meshlab as an .OBJ, since meshlab will keep and export vertex colors into a OBJ file. After that medium imported the OBJ with vertex colours intact with no problems. FBX files will export with the vertex colours intact as well, but FBX files, at lest with photoscan, gently caress up the coordinates something fierce so its easier to go the photoscan -> meshlab -> medium route with PLY/OBJ than much about trying to align things after the fact with an FBX.

Beyond that I've been figuring out the best way to deal with a very large scan of a multistory, multi-room structure, as medium sometimes doens't like all that geometry stacked on top of each other. The best way so far has been to break up the floors into separate meshes, and work on each individually, and breaking up the rooms on each floor further if there are still some artifacts where one is bleeding into the next. This has given me very good results with few artifacts, and again the artifacts I do get are easy to identify and erase. Also helpful is leaving the orginal mesh as visible sometimes to know exactly what to erase and how far if something bleeds into a wall or something, and its worked really well.

I haven't had any issues with scaling so far. Some tests the models I imported and turned to clay were small enough it was hard to work on tiny details, so what I did was import the mesh, then go to the properties of the imported mesh in medium and change the scale by 4x, then change resolution of the layer, turn to clay work on export, yada yada. It was simple as cake then once I imported the mesh into 3ds max to just change the scale to .25 upon import and everything lined up flawlessly with the orginal mesh, imported back to photoscan perfectly, and textured perfectly.

TheKeeper posted:

Absolutely! Hop into the goon vr discord, I'm always up for playing some more.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 25, 2017

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Oh crap it's out for delivery today aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah :neckbeard:

But the missus is here.....and I haven't told her I Black Friday'd myself an Oculus.

I am in deep poo poo folks.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Less Fat Luke posted:

How do people find the Vorpx drivers? I see a lot of Reddit people poo poo on them but it seems mostly just cause it's not a free package.

I love VorpX. I played an entire Fallout New Vegas campaign in VR standing in room scale with a wireless Xbox controller. Total game time was 153 hours. I also enjoy playing Rocket League with it in a stereoscopic virtual screen. The depth perception really makes it easier to score goals in the game.

peter gabriel posted:

I've had them for ages along with Tridef, from back in the DK1 days when me and my nerd pal who also got one were in the 'Oh man IMAGINE GUILD WARS!!, no no BIOSHOCK!!!!!! no no no no WoW!!!' phase of VR, where we wanted to try everything in it.
They are a real fudge imo, the depth is way off, as in pretty much non existent, feels much more like you really have a big TV strapped to your head.
Early on it was good, but now Vorpx looks really out dated and feels like the band aid that it is.

It sounds like you haven't tried VorpX recently because it has a DirectVR feature now that works with certain games like Bethesda games, and it doesn't feel like a big TV strapped to you head. It feels like you're in the world when I used for New Vegas. The depth looks fine too as long as you use geometric 3D instead of Z3D

iceaim fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 25, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WMain00 posted:

But the missus is here.....and I haven't told her I Black Friday'd myself an Oculus.

Let her have first go with the headset.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

iceaim posted:

It sounds like you haven't tried VorpX recently because it has a DirectVR feature now that works with certain games like Bethesda games, and it doesn't feel like a big TV strapped to you head. It feels like you're in the world when I used for New Vegas. The depth looks fine too as long as you use geometric 3D instead of Z3D

I'll try it again with an open mind, I haven;t for a while you are 100% correct.
I bought it legit so it should just update I think? I'll give it a go and report back, I always loved the idea of it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

WMain00 posted:

Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, friend.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

WMain00 posted:

Run her through the initial "first contact" demo (its in your library and can be replayed whenever). I've never seen that fail to make someone smile and laugh. Job sim is also an absolute hoot for people who've never used vr, and is a fun demo game if you have people over who want to try vr.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
So I got my Oculus yesterday and played the poo poo out of Robo Recall. I think I'm ready for some new games. I haven't played anything via Steam VR yet, is there any reason to prefer purchasing on Oculus vs Steam besides price? The bundle that includes Lone Echo, Superhot, I Expect You to Die and Mage's Tale on Oculus seems like a no brainer to purchase but just wanted to get some opinions on the different marketplaces.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tomahawk posted:

So I got my Oculus yesterday and played the poo poo out of Robo Recall. I think I'm ready for some new games. I haven't played anything via Steam VR yet, is there any reason to prefer purchasing on Oculus vs Steam besides price? The bundle that includes Lone Echo, Superhot, I Expect You to Die and Mage's Tale on Oculus seems like a no brainer to purchase but just wanted to get some opinions on the different marketplaces.

Not much difference anymore since oculus added the same refund policy. I guess I would say, wherever you get the best price, whichever has what you're looking for on sale. The oculus store also adds games launched outside the oculus store to your library list after the first time so you can launch them from there anyways. There are the ocaaaaaaational games where for some reason the steam version doesn't use the oculus native runtime, and of course the exclusive games only on home but... yeah, not much difference really.

That is a really good bundle too, everything there is top notch.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If you ever buy a headset from another manufacturer in the future, games on the Oculus store may not be natively compatible with it. There's wrappers, but they're unofficial and considered hacks by Oculus. Steam is API agnostic, a fair chunk of them support both SteamVR and OculusVR APIs natively, so if you value the long term shelf life of your games then it's a better choice to buy them from there.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tomahawk posted:

I buy anything multiplayer on Steam, there has been some bullshit where some games on Oculus don't see people on steam, I can't be arsed with that so I just buy on Steam if poss

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tomahawk posted:

Jump into discord and ask stuff.

Also. Buy things on steam unless it’s single player and you’ll never go back.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

I'll try it again with an open mind, I haven;t for a while you are 100% correct.
I bought it legit so it should just update I think? I'll give it a go and report back, I always loved the idea of it

Yeah you should be able to just update it. The current VorpX version is 17.2.3

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

iceaim posted:

I love VorpX. I played an entire Fallout New Vegas campaign in VR standing in room scale with a wireless Xbox controller. Total game time was 153 hours. I also enjoy playing Rocket League with it in a stereoscopic virtual screen. The depth perception really makes it easier to score goals in the game.
Well gently caress definitely sounds worth a try. I'm very excited for FO4 in VR but much preferred NV so I'll check it out!

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
I got my TPCast delivered a couple of days ago and finally found the time to set it up today. After a bit of trial and error I got it working!

The good:
+ When it finally worked (I had some setup weirdness), I didn't detect any difference between the wired and wireless gameplay - it was smooth like butter.
+ Previously I had set up an overhead cable management system and while it was great and let me do whatever without getting tangled, this is much better - I don't feel any tug at all, as I sometimes did with the dog leash system I made, and moving around, spinning, going low to the ground, it all worked wonderfully
+ Audio was perfectly fine, synced correctly, all of that - the deluxe audio strap is still great
+ No problem with the TPCast and the Vive n' Chill

The bad:
- The hardware setup was a little obnoxious - the TPCast in the video looked different, the explanations for what went where was kind of gibberish, and the person doing the connection hid the ports half the time with her hands so it was tricky
- The router setup was a bit obnoxious - the instructions refer to port colors, and my router's colors were reversed
- The initial connection was a bit obnoxious - the software would say everything was connected but I didn't get an image on the headset and Steam VR kept crashing. I rebooted and that more or less sorted things out.

The ugly:
/ If you have a Vive and a Rift, if you don't run the TPCast connection assistant before starting SteamVR, it tries to run all the rift stuff, so there's a lot of windows to close down and all that
/ Mine didn't seem to come with a power connector for the battery, but it's just the same usb type as the controllers - still, would have been nice to have another cable so I can charge it all at once
/ Support, the documentation, the videos, everything would have benefitted greatly from having a native English speaker handle the translation - things are referred to 2 or 3 different ways, and sometimes 2 or 3 different things are referred to with the same language, so it can be confusing
/ When it's working, there's a kind of hum/buzzing sound from the box that is plugged into the computer - I'm not sure if that's due to proximity to the pc or lights nearby or what, and I can't hear it when I'm playing, but it's there when I take off the headset and go by the box. It stops when I remove the battery from the powerpack, though.

Overall, from opening the box to finishing my first game of AudioShield was about 2 hours - if I had to do it again it would be about 15 minutes, since much of the extra time was spent trying to figure out what the instructions were saying and asking

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Fuuuuuuuck I want a TPCast so bad. They need to hurry up and release it properly over here.

Edit: Oh, I can just buy one from them now? For $300? Hoo boy...

Republicans fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 25, 2017

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
The loss of the USB is a big turnoff, but I've got a tiny play area so I rely heavily on the camera for not bumping into things.
It's also annoying that I've now got to use an external microphone after I had finally gotten it working before setting up the TPCast.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

The Walrus posted:

1. Jamming my head into the floor at That Part in Budget Cuts
2. Sitting on top of the CN Tower in Google Earth
3. lone echo spoilers:
4. Getting above 100 in an endless mode in Superhot
5. Climbing up The Well in Climbey with a random dude. Took us more than an hour to get to the top.
6. Aforementioned Serious Sam 3 fight
7. Injuring my hand on the ceiling playing with the balloons in the tutorial
8. Beating the level with the flying neon dragon guy in Last Hope on Hard
9. The one day a bunch of goons got together for Rec Room
10. Watching 'Tour de Pharmacy' on Bigscreen, some randoms came in with no idea what it was and good times were had by all.

1. Sculpting the photogrammetry model of my VR room in Medium (work still in progress)
2. Convincing randoms in Bigscreen to download the Wave and taking them through N-Fold for the first time, finding a li'l party going on and all standing in a circle blathering about VR, hanging out for the next hour. having it turn out that we're all stoned and one dude is on shrooms
3. The Wave Grimecraft show
4. Space Pirate 1.0, physically throwing everything I had at the boss and failing over and over for days
5. Finding Cabbibo's website and consuming everything he'd ever made in 2 or 3 days
6. Fantasynth and then trying to imitate it, getting as far as making Tron boxes in the Unreal Engine that 'pulsed' to a metronome
7. Two kills in my first game of Onward, both noscopes because I didn't know how to buy a scope for the rifles yet
8. Getting the missus totally hooked on the Lab's archery minigame
9. Watching a good friends' long-time skepticism completely melt away when I finally got around to putting it on his face
10. Getting lost in Chroma Lab for the duration of several Shpongle albums

I should probably have reserved a place for Lone Echo when I get around to finishing it and I can read that spoiler without fear

quote:

I friggin love vr.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Got myself a Vive. I was looking up games for it for a while before so I already know about most of the more popular games that I'm interested in, anyone got any lesser known game recommendations?

Demicol fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 27, 2017

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Chadzok posted:

5. Finding Cabbibo's website and consuming everything he'd ever made in 2 or 3 days

Does his site work in Web VR or something?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Starting to get some speckles in dark areas, I suspect it's the cable. I started seeing them a month ago and it's steadily been getting worse but it seems this morning it's gone from barely noticeable to rather obvious. I've had it since launch and it's seen heavy use, but it's still a little disappointing.

I was hoping to wait it out until there was a more workable wireless solution available but I think I might have to bite the bullet and buy a new cable. Are people generally pretty happy with the 3-in-1 ones?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

iceaim posted:

Does his site work in Web VR or something?

Hmm.. his site with all his free vive demos https://cabbibo.is/ is down for some reason. I'm going to whinge at him on social media.
In the meantime, he has a bunch of stuff on Steam if you want a sense of what he's about. My Lil' Donut, Warka Flarka Flim Flam, LUNE, BLARP.
It's all very experimental, short experiences. Some of the little details, like the kinda fabric-like slider-bars in My Lil' Donut (free) are just really interesting suggestions to 're-think how you do UI in VR'.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Pavlov stress test trip report:

Population peaked at about 50 players, all in the same little town. Client performance was rock steady even on a 970(!), but the server was clearly badly overloaded, leading to wildly unreliable hit detection and weapon reloading whenever population was above 20 or so. The developer claims the client's been the focus of all optimization to date; so far so good I guess. An update to the Fortnite revision of Unreal Engine and rewritten lag compensation is pending to help with that as well.

The ATVs are neat but little more than a proof of concept. Lots of work yet to be done.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Got a rift showing up tomorrow so looking at some games.

What's the best melee combat game? Gorn and Tales Of Glory look good.

I see a ton of very similar looking dungeon crawler games on Steam. Any one particularly good?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

FuzzySlippers posted:

Got a rift showing up tomorrow so looking at some games.

What's the best melee combat game? Gorn and Tales Of Glory look good.

I see a ton of very similar looking dungeon crawler games on Steam. Any one particularly good?

I would say Vanishing Realms is the best dungeon crawler with melee combat, but if you're more interested in the dungeon crawl aspect, The Mage's Tale is probably the best dungeon crawl. You play a wizzard though, so theres no melee combat.

Logic
Jan 8, 2009

Demicol posted:

Got myself a Vive. I was looking up games for it for a while before so I already know about most of the more popular games that I'm interested in, anyone got any lesser known game recommendations?

E: Also I got a code with it to redeem some game package, but not matter what I try it fails. I get to choose which one of two I want and then it tells me to sign in or register, I can sign in but then it just gives me the same prompt and clicking sign-in just opens and closes the sign-in window really fast. I've tried different browsers (even Edge), no adblock and even the Vive store thing with no luck. Anyone know what's up?

I apologize if these are already well know.

Deisim - God like game.
Ironwolf - Sub game, great with a friend, gets boring fast solo
Skytropolis - Think Sim Tower/City VR
Castle Must be Mine - Tower Defense

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I went ahead and ordered a TPCast. I can't help spending too much money on this stuff. Hope it doesn't take too long to ship by ground, I wasn't ready to pay over $70 for 3 day.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

I would say Vanishing Realms is the best dungeon crawler with melee combat, but if you're more interested in the dungeon crawl aspect, The Mage's Tale is probably the best dungeon crawl. You play a wizzard though, so theres no melee combat.

Thanks. I was going to buy Collection 1 on the Oculus store since I wanted SuperHot, Space Pirate Trainer, and Lone Echo anyway. I definitely will if it has the best crawler too.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chadzok posted:

1. Sculpting the photogrammetry model of my VR room in Medium (work still in progress)
2. Convincing randoms in Bigscreen to download the Wave and taking them through N-Fold for the first time, finding a li'l party going on and all standing in a circle blathering about VR, hanging out for the next hour. having it turn out that we're all stoned and one dude is on shrooms
3. The Wave Grimecraft show
4. Space Pirate 1.0, physically throwing everything I had at the boss and failing over and over for days
6. Fantasynth and then trying to imitate it, getting as far as making Tron boxes in the Unreal Engine that 'pulsed' to a metronome
7. Two kills in my first game of Onward, both noscopes because I didn't know how to buy a scope for the rifles yet
8. Getting the missus totally hooked on the Lab's archery minigame
9. Watching a good friends' long-time skepticism completely melt away when I finally got around to putting it on his face
10. Getting lost in Chroma Lab for the duration of several Shpongle albums

I should probably have reserved a place for Lone Echo when I get around to finishing it and I can read that spoiler without fear

chadzok you are good people, i can tell, add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/torontowalrus/

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Got my 3rd sensor set up for the rift, now it is as good as my friend's Vive. I was getting more and more annoyed at having to keep track of which way was "front". My scores in robo recall immediately doubled, as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just out of curiosity, does Lost Echo play well through ReVive?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
So I ordered the Rift + Touch yesterday and a 1080 per the conversation ITT, but I didn't bother to order a 3rd sensor for now since I want to keep it in my study and not move it to a free room immediately. I figured that 360 rotating on the spot and arm swinger locomotion would work in the 2 sensor configuration if I stood back from my desk with the sensors up above my head in the corners of the room. Is that not possible though?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity, does Lost Echo play well through ReVive?

The latest beta plays it very well, I haven't had any issues.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

So I ordered the Rift + Touch yesterday and a 1080 per the conversation ITT, but I didn't bother to order a 3rd sensor for now since I want to keep it in my study and not move it to a free room immediately. I figured that 360 rotating on the spot and arm swinger locomotion would work in the 2 sensor configuration if I stood back from my desk with the sensors up above my head in the corners of the room. Is that not possible though?
IANA rifter, but people seem to usually report that 2 cameras is mostly adequate if set up in opposite corners. You can always order more later if you need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I don’t have personal experience but -

You’re a little vague what “corners” mean. If it’s two “consecutive” corners, you’ll almost assuredly have a dead zone somewhere in your tracked area. How large that tracked area is can be difficult to predict from descriptions on the internet, and how much that will bother you is impossible to predict, since it’s based on what games you play and personal preferences.

Similarly, in opposite corners, tracking might get a little hinky, but exactly how much depends on the specifics of your exact set up, and how much that bothers you will vary again.

Edit: Like, I have sensors at about 8 Feet up in two consecutive corners, and I have a dead area behind me, but it doesn’t bother me much so far. I see a hand doing weird poo poo, and I know to turn 90 degrees in space and turn a bit with the thumb stick. It’s probably unworkable for Echo Arena but I don’t play anything super twitchy. Yet. I’m sure a third sensor is in my future.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 26, 2017