Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
If it’s connecting to oculus servers it’s still connecting to Facebook servers, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

If it’s connecting to oculus servers it’s still connecting to Facebook servers, no?

There would be literally no difference between the two at this point.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Nalin posted:

Does this not work?

https://support.oculus.com/200305533724698/

You should be able to change which way is "forward" while in-game. Just turn 90 degrees and reset the view.

I have a rift not a quest, so it's back out into the oculus app, go into the menu, reset view. In steamVR I can just bind rotation so I don't have to leave anything. Quick floor fix is also a big one, no matter placement or setup I can't ever seem to do better than tracking up to 6 inches off the floor. Luckily everything I've tried so far has had a magnetic option for floor items, but I'd imagine I'm going to run into things where I need to be able to track to the actual ground.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There would be literally no difference between the two at this point.

My point is that buying a Oculus store-backed device with the intention of making sure nothing talks to Facebook is a surefire way to pay for a $400 brick. Buying an alternative headset would be a better protest.

If you’re going to have to pay Oculus because you think it has something worth using then use Oculus and commit to being judicious in the data you’re willing to trust a third party, especially Oculus+Facebook, with. Piecemeal blocking, if you can do it, is probably just going to make poo poo break in novel ways.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Oculus makes great hardware, the quest is amazing, but you'd be a fool to think facebook is benevolent in any regard and that the store front as it exists now will remain untouched and as side loading friendly in the future.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bandaid.friend posted:

I got a Cosmos.

Can I interest you in a vacation time-share condo

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zero VGS posted:

I guess if I get another Quest (I returned mine months ago because I was worried about them screwing with sideloading) I might have to figure out some kind of DNS shenanigans so that the Quest can't communicate with Facebook on my network, but can still play multiplayer games like Pavlov with Guardian Off (a fave of mine).

They aren't removing sideloading as a thing, Pavlov is still just fine and dandy. They updated the TOS in reference to mods that aren't authorized by the game developers. This is also why the virtual desktop sideloaded streaming is still just fine and dandy, its an officially authorized mod. Sideloaded things from developers themselves, like Pavlov aren't an issue.

So, say for example when Pavlov comes out officially on the store, someone sideloading mods they made for it to give themselves god mode could be penalized. If the developer of Pavlov though, after its release, hosted a mod for experimental new levels to test out for example, it wouldn't be an issue.

Beatsaber devs could legitimize and authorize the song mods for beatsaber, but then any copyright burdens would fall onto them because they legitimized it, but oculus wouldn't have an issue then because its out of their hands and into the developers responsibility.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I get all that but they crossed a line.

quote:

Limit, suspend, disable your Developer Mode;
Limit or ban your access to certain Oculus platform features;
Suspend, terminate or ban your Oculus user account;
Ban you from creating or registering any new or additional Oculus accounts; and/or
Refer you to law enforcement.

"And we're calling the cops too!"

gently caress that, if I want Beat Saber customs I have to what, run everything off wifi and "sanitize" the whole system before I log back in every time?

edit: or maybe they'll just update the Quest to log what you do with developer mode while you're offline and snitch to them later. Where does it end?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It ends when you buy another headset?

edit: Is there anyway to adjust height in SteamVR on the fly? Using ALVR the height is never correct and seems to fluctuate a bit. I don't see an option outside of running the room set-up again.

sigher fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 8, 2019

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

sigher posted:

It ends when you buy another headset?

edit: Is there anyway to adjust height in SteamVR on the fly? Using ALVR the height is never correct and seems to fluctuate a bit. I don't see an option outside of running the room set-up again.

That overlay we've been discussing has a manual height setting option, OpenVR Advanced Settings

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

I get all that but they crossed a line.

"And we're calling the cops too!"

Contacting law enforcement for digital crimes is nowhere near unprecedented. The problem, in my personal opinion, is that the guidelines don’t give a sense of proportionality of offense to response, which forces it to be read by the paranoid* as the smallest broken rule to potentially be answered with the maximum punishment.

* which is how rules should be read tbh

Zero VGS posted:

gently caress that, if I want Beat Saber customs I have to what, run everything off wifi and "sanitize" the whole system before I log back in every time?

edit: or maybe they'll just update the Quest to log what you do with developer mode while you're offline and snitch to them later. Where does it end?
You’re fighting last decade’s fight.

Dunno what industry you work in but crash logging and analytics frameworks have buffered logs locally and batched uploads of them for at least a decade at this point already. This is almost universally standard for any company which doesn’t build their brand on building in extra privacy (as far as FAANG is concerned, mostly just Apple, even though they’re a little hypocritical at times about that, too).

“Flight recorder” debugging similarly is a very old concept, unevenly applied, because it’s expensive to record the totality of state, so custom work to only record the minimal necessary state is needed.

Codifying that developer mode isn’t intended to be used to impact apps in unwanted (by the developer of the impacted apps) ways isn’t necessarily a commitment to muscular, vigorous enforcement. Nobody has time for that poo poo until it starts hurting the bottom line.

It instead reads to me as (insufficiently) clarifying ambiguity, possibly even because Beat Games needs to make promises about best effort enforcement of anti piracy measures, which is a standard content industry thing. Dunno - this is speculation on my part, as well.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

zer0spunk posted:

That overlay we've been discussing has a manual height setting option, OpenVR Advanced Settings

Awesome, thanks!

Also, my friend is a pilot and I just introduced her to VR and I'm wondering if there's any proper flight sims that support VR natively without much loving around. Something that she could easily set up. I have my Rift S wasting away so I wouldnt mind giving that away to her.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

sigher posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Also, my friend is a pilot and I just introduced her to VR and I'm wondering if there's any proper flight sims that support VR natively without much loving around. Something that she could easily set up. I have my Rift S wasting away so I wouldnt mind giving that away to her.

Like a commercial pilot? You want to create the vr version of that forklift simulator meme?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

sigher posted:

Awesome, thanks!

I think X Plane 11 and one or some of the IL Sturmovich games might be what you looking for. And not a flight sim, but Elite Dangerous has a great flight model and is great in VR.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

DCS... how does your friend feel about attack aircraft and how good is her computer

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Also, depending on how much she wants to be doing hardcore adjusting fuel mixtures and such piloting around, vs. just some light hearted fun in their off time, Ultrawings is a fun little 'pilotwings' style game made for VR.

Its certainly not a realistic sim, but, maybe she just would enjoy tooling around in something less hardcore?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ultrawings also is really good at giving you that "holy poo poo I'm up high" feeling because of its scale.

Obviously if she wants realism, it wont work.

War Thunder is free and has a good VR mode, but is about dogfighting

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

War Thunder is free and has a good VR mode, but is about dogfighting
100% True, and arcade can be tough if you stick to cockpit view ( you do place yourself at a disadvantage with regards to awareness but it's crazy immersive ), but I've gotten a lot of mileage out of just test flying planes, the catch being that the maps aren't very large if you want to do much more than circuits.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sigher posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Put her in WarThunder in test flight mode. No enemies, no objectives, no time limit. Just free flying.

Plenty of fun to be had just flying around by yourself in VR.

For bonus points not only does WarThunder just work out of the box with VR, its also free to play.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Seconding Elite Dangerous if she is open to space stuff. It's just so loving zen.

As a bonus, it also has all the spergy flight checks and a million buttons.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

zer0spunk posted:

I have a rift not a quest, so it's back out into the oculus app, go into the menu, reset view. In steamVR I can just bind rotation so I don't have to leave anything. Quick floor fix is also a big one, no matter placement or setup I can't ever seem to do better than tracking up to 6 inches off the floor. Luckily everything I've tried so far has had a magnetic option for floor items, but I'd imagine I'm going to run into things where I need to be able to track to the actual ground.

What do you mean the Oculus app? You mean the actual app on your computer? That support link says you can press the Oculus button on your right remote to bring up the in-game dash panel and it is one of the options on it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I didn't have time to show her Ultrawings (it's the only one I own) because she spent so much time "flying" around in Google Earth VR and loved the poo poo out of it. I'll definitely pick some of these up and have her try stuff out then hopefully set up her HOTAS up and the Rift S.

It was crazy introducing someone to VR and seeing their reaction for the first time, she picked up the controls quite quick and was showing me her flight routes from city to city in Google Earth. Then she got blown away by some Ocarina of Time environments people made in SteamVR; being able to walk around in her favorite childhood game will do that to someone I guess.

On a side-note, is the Pavlov for Quest build broken or something? I got the most recent build and sideloaded it but when I open it it it just stays on the black Oculus loading screen forever and never starts. I don't own Pavlov (yet) on Steam and thought it would be a fun way to get a feel for the game and see if I'd enjoy the full version.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Ace Combat has VR now. Not a full flight sim by any stretch, but drat it's good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Put her in WarThunder in test flight mode. No enemies, no objectives, no time limit. Just free flying.

Plenty of fun to be had just flying around by yourself in VR.

For bonus points not only does WarThunder just work out of the box with VR, its also free to play.

Is there a good video on how to get started in War Thunder? I find it’s interface incomprehensible and I already got my bachelors degree in navigating Elite Dangerous, I’m not going for a PhD

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fuzz posted:

Ace Combat has VR now. Not a full flight sim by any stretch, but drat it's good.

That's not only just PSVR, but also only three missions.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
aircar is pretty rad, it's more descent style control and not exactly a "game" but still pretty cool. and free.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It may come to PC in January, the contract with Sony for VR exclusivity was for one year.

It’s only three missions but they’re awesome. The second one is my go-to for showing people how awesome VR is.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Microsoft took notice that a modern flight sim would need VR nowadays and apparently committed to introducing VR to the upcoming new MS Flight Simulator.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I would pay $20 for aircar with a bigger map and more radio chatter.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I wish I could invert the vertical pitch but other then that, it feels pretty cool once everything clicks and you can fly through narrow objects. I also don't know if there's an altitude ceiling or not, I hit 25k and got bored. Apparently I have an iron stomach, flying upside down or corkscrewing doesn't bother me.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I take it you've heard of Low-Fi before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkjC3nu7W3A

Basically aircar with a game wrapped around it. They just had a kickstarter for it that ended, that seemed to go ok and is coming out next year.

I don't know if it will be good overall, but if all you care about is flying around a map, it should certainly provide that in spades.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It may come to PC in January, the contract with Sony for VR exclusivity was for one year.

That's what I thought about RE7 VR, but that never materialized.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a good video on how to get started in War Thunder? I find it’s interface incomprehensible and I already got my bachelors degree in navigating Elite Dangerous, I’m not going for a PhD

Its literally "pick plane, pick mode"

The reason it seems confusing is the tech/progression tree is right in your face and you need to pick a plane to fly.

But don't overthink it. Progression is per-faction so pick one to stick with for a minute that you like. Pick one of their planes, probably a fighter (they're on the left) and go fly with it. Eventually you'll unlock planes in the flowchart.

Planes get matched with like planes so if you fly a biplane you won't get matched up with jets.

There's arcade (respawns and reloads), semi-real, and historic mode.

Historic means you cannot use 3rd person camera or radar. You must look to see enemies. Very cool but very hard.

Used to be VR was at a disadvantage outside historic, but its gotten better. They fixed the VR hud so you can look to the right of your cockpit and see a virtual radar now, stuff like that.

Similarly you can see your speed, etc. to your left, although your cockpit gauges are animated accurately so you can fly by them, but they can be hard to read sometimes.

Just fly planes. Blow people up, get xp. Die, no big, jump in another match. (Or respawn if arcade)

TLDR: Fly British, unlock spitfire, ????, profit

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 9, 2019

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
War Thunder's tech tree doesn't actually matter until you get to the tiers where you'll be using the same plane/tank/boat longer than a couple of days at a time. Just set whatever looks cool in the next tier as the next thing to research.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Since I wanted to try out the new Quest usb link and hand tracking poo poo but I'm still hesitant to see how the dev mode stuff shakes out (and how good the two aforementioned features are), I ordered one from Walmart. They have free next-day shipping and a 90-day return. It confirmed on my order page that I have until Dec 31st to return it. Oddly that's not quite 90 days, and it's too early for the "holiday return window" to be in effect, so maybe it updates once delivered.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

sigher posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Aerofly 2 and FlyInside are a few more decent general aviation Sims a rl pilot would enjoy in vr.

If she's into sailplane /soaring then Condor2 has hi fidelity flight and weather models tho is a bit spendy being so niche

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thoatse posted:

Aerofly 2 and FlyInside are a few more decent general aviation Sims a rl pilot would enjoy in vr.

If she's into sailplane /soaring then Condor2 has hi fidelity flight and weather models tho is a bit spendy being so niche

Thanks for the suggestions, Aerofly looks pretty drat good so I might pick that up for her when I set her PC up. It's dope to see so many options for something definitely so niche.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I've been messing with Echo Arena in preparation of the bot update (which got delayed, hopefully out this week).

The Index controller hasn't worked well for me in Echo VR, because hard throws cause the controller to shift in my hand unless I strap it on uncomfortably tight.

As a workaround, I tried remapping the trigger as a grip button, but that led to a disconnect between what my hand was doing, and what it looked like in game (I'd have to squeeze the trigger to extend my index finger), which made my brain mad.

As a compromise, I've taken to throwing the disc with the grip sensor, but doing so while squeezing the trigger, because having the trigger squeezed doesn't affect your grip/release of the disc. This is a little cumbersome, but it keeps the controller in place when I do a snapping throw, so I don't have to tighten the straps so much. Ideally I'd like to map the grip sensor to only use the "top" part, where my middle finger is, which would allow me to emulate the Touch controller by releasing my middle finger to let go, while keeping the controllers secure with my ring/pinky fingers, but the Steam controller mapper doesn't appear to have location-specific grip configuration, which is a bummer.

In any case, my usual 3/4|sidearm throwing motion wasn't working well for me, accuracy-wise, regardless of what grip type or sensitivity settings I used, so I had to mess around and find a new throwing motion. I tried throwing it kinda like a dart, extending my hand from beside my head to out in front of me, and that works decently enough.

I also remapped the jet/boost/brake controls, as the Index stick isn't as convenient to click as the Touch's. I have the hand jets on the B buttons, and the boost/brake on the touchpads (press them anywhere). That way I don't have to mess with the Index' awkwardly placed sticks. It'll take some muscle memory remapping, but I think this will work out alright.

Controller annoyances aside, it was nice to play Echo again. I've missed it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

They announced that the next one or next update or something is supposed to have full VR support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I've been playing my Quest almost every night this week. Just running demos and stuff from sidequest.

That Ninja Legends Demo is pretty fun. I replayed that 10 times and got a crazy sweat going. I may have to buy that one.