Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is it just me or the Quest's library is pretty small? I thought there'd be more games but maybe I'm spoiled by the PSVR. It does work marvellously well with Virtual Desktop and SteamVR so that's something!

EDIT: Nevermind, I just realized the Quest has been out for like 4 months so its library is actually pretty good all things considered!

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Roadie posted:

War Thunder's tech tree doesn't actually matter until you get to the tiers where you'll be using the same plane/tank/boat longer than a couple of days at a time. Just set whatever looks cool in the next tier as the next thing to research.

I don't know if it's changed but when I played it was fun until you got your first jet that sucked and then you were thrown into matches with people fully loaded with jets while you have 1 jet and a bunch of prop planes and exist solely to give other people xp.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
gently caress jets. You can have way more fun playing tiers 1-4, imo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shine posted:

gently caress jets. You can have way more fun playing tiers 1-4, imo.

100% agree

I'm all about the spitfires and zeroes and mustangs, and the biplanes are maybe the most fun you can have in war thunder.

Its cool they're adding jets but they don't really play right and they're not gonna remake the entire engine to support jets. Its just like, the devs have already made every WW2 ship they could think of so they may as well go to other time periods.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Zaphod42 posted:

100% agree

I'm all about the spitfires and zeroes and mustangs, and the biplanes are maybe the most fun you can have in war thunder.

Its cool they're adding jets but they don't really play right and they're not gonna remake the entire engine to support jets. Its just like, the devs have already made every WW2 ship they could think of so they may as well go to other time periods.

Jets have been in the game for years.

The lower tiers are definitely way more fun.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Welp so I turned my PC on the other day and my 1060 wasn't responding. Had to pull out the bios battery to get video from the MB ports.

Went in and reinstalled the drivers but the card wasn't recognized by system at all until I reseated the drat thing. All seemed well untill I booted up beatsaber and now most songs dip into single digit framerate after a minute or so, rendering them completely unplayable. This was after the latest BS update and it persisted after a fresh install.

So do I need a new Gfx card, motherboard or CPU, or all 3?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So, Asgard's Wrath is released today. Who's playing it?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Looks like its getting decent reviews.

https://www.roadtovr.com/asgards-wrath-review/
https://uploadvr.com/asgards-wrath-review/

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

canyoneer posted:

So, Asgard's Wrath is released today. Who's playing it?

I haven't bought it yet, I don't know if I trust the reviews. Defector was a huge piece of poo poo and got glowing previews and reviews.

The reviews I've read for Asgard's Wrath say it's the best VR game ever, but also seem to indicate that the melee combat is kinda dull and repetitive. It also sounds like they screwed up some of the small but important things, like object interaction.

Road to VR review posted:

That said, one of the things I’m going to come down on is object interaction. On one hand, the game is absolutely brimming with interactive objects, and stocks the world with very few things that can’t be used, collected, sold, or crafted into something better. On the other hand, every object has a snap-to point where you automatically engage a single holding pose, which can make you feel like you have a wooden grip instead of the sort of flowing and more natural hand poses I wish other developers would borrow from the likes of Lone Echo. Because you’re always picking things up and opening up the game’s many (many) treasure chests, you don’t ever really forget it either.

One such instance of iffy object interaction culminated in a challenge that requires precise and quick manipulation of levers, and I found myself constantly overreaching, or not grabbing the lever at all because I needed to be close enough to the pre-approved attach point for my hand to actually move the lever, even if it was physically in a perfectly reasonable place to ‘grab’.

Yuck. They've made like three VR games already, this is beginner poo poo. It gives me no confidence in the game. I feel like it's getting a pass on a lot of poo poo that I care about because it has impressive set pieces and a lot of content.

That said, I do really want it to be good, and I'm probably gonna end up buying it when I have time to play. I will be watching the clock though, and spending my first couple hours deciding whether or not to refund.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Mr Phillby posted:

Welp so I turned my PC on the other day and my 1060 wasn't responding. Had to pull out the bios battery to get video from the MB ports.

Went in and reinstalled the drivers but the card wasn't recognized by system at all until I reseated the drat thing. All seemed well untill I booted up beatsaber and now most songs dip into single digit framerate after a minute or so, rendering them completely unplayable. This was after the latest BS update and it persisted after a fresh install.

Most likely the card, but the only way to know for sure is to swap things out until it starts working.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
First thing make sure the GPU is still getting power. Re-plug the power pins on the GPU, and re-seat it on the mobo just in case.

If that doesn't work, try to test with another GPU if you can. Its probably the GPU.

But your CPU is probably fine. If its not the GPU I'd think its either Mobo or Power Supply.

Wait, after a minute? Like for a minute it runs at full frame rate? Maybe its overheating or something weird like that. Blow some canned air in there first thing, make sure the GPU isn't just choked on dust or something. Check that all fans are spinning when on.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Tip posted:

I haven't bought it yet, I don't know if I trust the reviews. Defector was a huge piece of poo poo and got glowing previews and reviews.

The reviews I've read for Asgard's Wrath say it's the best VR game ever, but also seem to indicate that the melee combat is kinda dull and repetitive.

Yeah, that made me nervous too. Sounds like it's more rhythm game than Blade and Sorcery.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mr Phillby posted:

You said you had on board video? Use that for a while and see how Windows performs. Probably won't be able to game much on that card, but based on your description your card probably got too hot.

Edit: to be clear, if your on board video works for at least getting around in Windows just fine, then you know it's not likely to be your CPU or Mobo. Maaaaybe power supply, or both video card and power supply. A power supply that is either too low in wattage, or not drawing enough power can cause other pc parts to work harder, and in the case of vid cards, over heat and burn out.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

moolchaba posted:

I factory reset my headset, and re-sideloaded the game. The first time I played it, it froze up at the very end. The music keeps playing even after getting out of the game when it glitches. Weird.

Thanks for letting me know I haven't played in a while so maybe something broke with the firmware I'll have to recheck. Would certainly make sense why I keep seeing people playing short sessions on Quest.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Try your GPU in another PCI-E slot, if you can.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Tip posted:

They've made like three VR games already

Before VR their biggest games were the 3DS Sonic Boom spinoffs, and their three VR games before this were all disappointments. I'm definitely waiting for the honeymoon period to end on this one before taking anything that's said about it too seriously... it clearly has a budget and a bunch of content, but that doesn't matter if the basic game is bland.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly War Thunder sucks compared to IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad/Moscow/etc. - you can turn down the realism settings to make it incredibly accessible and still have a really solid and historically accurate experience, the level of care put into each plane is really something else and it’s incredibly deep with the career mode, the landscapes, and everything else.

It’s really the best VR combat flight sim out right now.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Taintrunner posted:

Honestly War Thunder sucks compared to IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad/Moscow/etc. - you can turn down the realism settings to make it incredibly accessible and still have a really solid and historically accurate experience, the level of care put into each plane is really something else and it’s incredibly deep with the career mode, the landscapes, and everything else.

It’s really the best VR combat flight sim out right now.

True, but IL-2 costs a bit more than War Thunder

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Il2 is good poo poo, but I do appreciate War Thunder's engine, which is just old enough to run very well in VR while being reasonably pretty, whereas IL2 needs a beefier system. Making a team deathmatch compstomp game is lots of fun, too.

IL2 has a better flight model, definitely, but War Thunder is worth loving around in from time to time.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Foo Diddley posted:

True, but IL-2 costs a bit more than War Thunder

Depends, since WT is very micotransaction and grind heavy. With IL2 you get a great deal up front and you know what you’re getting with the DLC.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I was hoping it might be something wrong with the connection on the MB given how I had to reseat it to get it working (its old as heck and I was planning on upgrading soon anyay). The computer was in sleep mode when whatever happend so its possible the gfx card has indeed overheated. Not going to blame the psu as its much beefier than required in terms of wattage and seems to be powering the card fine now over the same plug.

Vr is deffo off the menu if the card is hosed, and my plans to get a new mobo and a decent processor then slum it with the 1060 until I can afford something better are out of the window too.

Would be tempted to just say gently caress it and buy a Quest but the whole BS custom songs situation is putting me off!

Clitch posted:

Try your GPU in another PCI-E slot, if you can.
Yeah this thing only has the one slot, unfortunately!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So has anyone got Asgard's Wrath, I'd be interested in some player impressions instead of random VR site reviews.

How bad is the melee, in particular. If it's at the level of Vanishing Realms I could live with it, with that the AI was pretty simple but there was at least a bit of blocking and stuff they would do, and certain bits of armour you had to aim for with your swings. The AI (their actions and their physical structure) are the most important single factor in whether melee action can be genuinely fun, to me.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Looks like the Echo Arena update adding AI players and a tutorial is out now, gonna download that and give it a shot tonight.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Looks like the Echo Arena update adding AI players and a tutorial is out now, gonna download that and give it a shot tonight.

Same!

Anybody who wants to comp stomp, add Shine.49 to Oculus friends.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Thanks for letting me know I haven't played in a while so maybe something broke with the firmware I'll have to recheck. Would certainly make sense why I keep seeing people playing short sessions on Quest.

It seems to happen with certain modes only right now. I could do he homerun derby over and over, but 3 inning seems to trigger it after a couple min. The gun thing freezes up right away.

Let me know if you get it updated. It's fun.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Taintrunner posted:

Depends, since WT is very micotransaction and grind heavy. With IL2 you get a great deal up front and you know what you’re getting with the DLC.

Oh yeah, I guess I wasn't thinking of microtransactions

Anyway, speaking of expensive-rear end flight sims, does anyone have RealFlight 9? Or 8, I guess. I played one of the earlier versions and it was pretty good; I was wondering how good the VR support is

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Ok, despite my reservations, I'm taking the plunge and buying Asgard's Wrath.

I'll let you guys know whether it lives up to the hype. If it hasn't won me over after an hour and a half I'm refunding it.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

moolchaba posted:

It seems to happen with certain modes only right now. I could do he homerun derby over and over, but 3 inning seems to trigger it after a couple min. The gun thing freezes up right away.

Let me know if you get it updated. It's fun.

Um...... thanks for letting me know. I can't believe it's been out there for like 5 months with 10's of thousands of usages and I just found out now. I just tested and managed to get it to happen at 3 Inning. It's a really really bad crash, you have to force stop (only available via ADB) the app to get the music to stop or reboot.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

How is the Oculus store downloader so bad? I bought Asgard's Wrath a few hours ago, it should be done by now, but I keep coming back to my computer to find that the download stopped.

And everytime I restart it it takes like 10 minutes to verify the part that's already downloaded before it starts downloading anything.

Oh, and, in the Oculus app it describes that verification as "installing". So the first time it happens you think you're going to be playing the game when it hits 100%, but instead it then switches to downloading again.

I have downloaded 10 GB of the 130 GB.

:argh:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Tip posted:

How is the Oculus store downloader so bad? I bought Asgard's Wrath a few hours ago, it should be done by now, but I keep coming back to my computer to find that the download stopped.

And everytime I restart it it takes like 10 minutes to verify the part that's already downloaded before it starts downloading anything.

Oh, and, in the Oculus app it describes that verification as "installing". So the first time it happens you think you're going to be playing the game when it hits 100%, but instead it then switches to downloading again.

I have downloaded 10 GB of the 130 GB.

:argh:

Is your computer going to sleep during the download? That's what it sounds like to me.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

RandomBlue posted:

Is your computer going to sleep during the download? That's what it sounds like to me.

No, but my computer sometimes decides to switch WiFi networks, and Oculus is the one program that just can't handle that. No issues with Steam.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The Oculus store blows.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Tip posted:

No, but my computer sometimes decides to switch WiFi networks, and Oculus is the one program that just can't handle that. No issues with Steam.

Ah. Haven't run into that issue since I'm hard wired. Also haven't used the Oculus store in a couple of years.

Once the Quest Link is available I'm sure I'll be experiencing its greatness soon enough.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is Asgard's Wrath an Oculus exclusive or will it eventually hit Steam?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Oculus exclusive. Apparently works well with Revive, though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

IGN loved it
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/10/asgards-wrath-review

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Asgard's Wrath is terrible, it's such a video game. I hate it. Tutorials, laser pointer UI, tons of uninteractable objects that look 100% like you should be able to interact with them, lots of pop up UI telling you where to go or what to do, lots of unintuitive button pressing, tons of load screens that all take a long rear end time to load, I honestly couldn't even tell you how good the combat is because I played for an hour and most of that time was slowly walking from place to place

It starts with a scripted fight and then you need to play for like half an hour before you even get a weapon. You get a follower that you command to kill things by pointing at them and a laser pointer appears and the follower goes and kills them. gently caress. It's so awful. They just made a bog standard middle of the road video game and then shoved it into VR. What a wasted loving opportunity.

Edit: one of the first things you do is you are on a beach and it tells you to find some food. I leaned over to punch a turtle and it dropped a bone with meat on it. Nothing. I went to a crab and punched it but it didn't die. I hit it with the bone and nothing happened. I turned around and then I saw the big floating box that said "Food" hovering above something far away. It turns out the bone was just a crafting material. I was only able to kill the crab after going into God form and squeezing it to death. gently caress this game

Lemming fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 11, 2019

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I created a new thread since this one is ancient

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901021

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Uh this thread is fine tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

This thread's OP is outdated as poo poo. Thanks for the new thread!