Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
has anyone tried this Mageworks game yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you have steamVR open or closed when you use VorpX? Either way I get nothing, and pressing shortcuts doesn't cause vorpx to come up in-game. Its in the system tray though and I have profiles loaded and optimized.

Make sure you are running Fallout: New Vegas in 1920x1080. I think it looks much better than the resolution VorpX recommends.

Also click the "Configure VorpX" and make sure "SteamVR (HTC Vive)" is selected as your device.

I start SteamVR first, then I start the "Start vorpX" shortcut, and lastly I launch Fallout New Vegas via its shortcut. After I press "Play" in Fallout New Vegas it launches in my headset along with the VorpX overlay which tells you a bunch of stuff. After that I load a new game and once the world is loaded I press the delete key on my keyboard and do a direct VR scan. You need to do this each time you start a new game of New Vegas, but it doesn't need to be done if you reload a saved game after already playing.

You only need to do the stuff in this paragraph once. Press delete again and make sure to disable Crystal image and disable fluid sync. In the same ingame VorpX menu where you disable fluid sync, make sure to enable async. This'll ensure very smooth head tracking. You also should have async reprojection enabled in steamvr itself, ideally with the openvr advanced settings plugin.

After that I also recentre my headset and start playing New Vegas in VR with fantastic positional + rotational head tracking that is room scale ready.

Edit: Make sure to disable Nvidia shadow play and any virus scanners that you have running except Windows Defender. Don't fart or burp while setting up VorpX; the mic might pick it up and VorpX may take offence and refuse to output to your headset. If you use OBS, make sure it isn't running either just to be safe.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 19, 2017

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Songbearer posted:

Clearly a DDR dance mat on a one step per input control scheme is the answer. :colbert:

When VR first game out I tried to go find any USB DDR mats and couldn't find any easily. I think DDR mats could actually work pretty well for some things, but with Knuckles eventually on the way, hopefully we can move to better leg tracking shortly.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Stick100 posted:

When VR first game out I tried to go find any USB DDR mats and couldn't find any easily. I think DDR mats could actually work pretty well for some things, but with Knuckles eventually on the way, hopefully we can move to better leg tracking shortly.

Upgrade to knuckles, strap OG Vive wands to feet

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So I'm trying to troubleshoot extension cabling issues. I have an active 6 foot 3.0 usb extension cable that I was using to extend a sensor length. I changed it over to the rift headset usb and it will run ok for a few minutes before tracking issues or a blank screen on the headset pops up. There was one port on the back where I would only get audio popping as an issue, and everything clears up as soon as I plug the usb directly into the computer. Is this likely a dud cable, some compatibility issue, or something else I'm missing?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

lmao I don't care how many harnesses they wear, somebody is going to eat poo poo and break a nose, somehow

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

This looks awesome, I'll try it out tomorrow and give my impressions.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Will a gtx 1060 (6gb) perform noticeably better than a 1050 gti using an oculus rift? Also, how well do non VR games work, like GTA V?

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 20, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A 1060 should be better than a 1050. I doubt GTAV would work well at all even with VorpX or whatever. GTAV has performance issues with a normal monitor.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Cojawfee posted:

A 1060 should be better than a 1050. I doubt GTAV would work well at all even with VorpX or whatever. GTAV has performance issues with a normal monitor.

Would the 1060 6gb vs 1060 3gb make a big difference? The 3gb version is about $70 cheaper right now. The benchmarks show only about a 5-10% performance difference but I'm wondering if the lower memory will cause a problem.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you want to run with higher texture settings, you want more VRAM.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
With VR you are quickly going to be limited by 3gb RAM, def go for 6gb minimum

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
3GB isn't really enough VRAM now, think about how it will be next year.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Would the 1060 6gb vs 1060 3gb make a big difference? The 3gb version is about $70 cheaper right now. The benchmarks show only about a 5-10% performance difference but I'm wondering if the lower memory will cause a problem.

When I picked up my 960, I went 4 gig because of the vram for GTA.

You asked about GTA
Get the Vram

And really, If my exp with my 960 before i upgraded is any case for it, Spend the coin or move up a class. The Vram helps more than you can imagine.

Also. I bought a VR Cover. (this one black, reviews said red had lovely red bleed due to thin plastic and not a heavy enough dye https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-facial-interface-foam-replacement-standard-set-2/)

Velcro had to be glued, Good start.
Only face pad that sticks "correctly" (I say that loosely, because its not really that good either) is the thin black one that comes pre-fitted on it when you receive it. The other 2, Dont stick for poo poo. Theres also so much light leak on the basic thin and middle sized one (when you can get it to stay in place) that its basically glare city with any overhead lights. And the stupid flappy cloth cover thing, has no way to "hook" or "connect' to the ends near the nose, So it just sits there all awkward. Now maybe that'll change if I use it over time, But the way its sewn does not really allow for it. I'll be honest, I didnt try very hard after tossing it on with the rift on my face. Its not super soft, its like really low end sheets. Not a fan.

All in all, for 60 or whatever I paid, Im not thrilled so far. I put in an email to support. I watched a "recent" couple reviews and there units were nowhere near this bad. IN fact, the one thing mine does NOT do correctly that every review unit ive seen does, is the velcro works. Mine simply dont, its just not tall enough and sits in some stupid channel so it cant make contact with anything really. Real talk, if support fixes it and its a fluke, The actual materials for the pads are really good. The big ones sadly too big for me to use (Makes my rift unwearable, I have a giant head) comfortably. I mean I can get it on, But its a tiiiight fit. Middle one "feels" like it would be right if the velcro would hold it down so the light leaks wernt so bad. Oh, and so it didnt stab me in the nose.

TL:DR If support sorts me out and its a fluke, good product, If not. Garbage.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 20, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The thin black one sticks pretty well for me, the blue one I got doesn't at all. I think the basic one is probably worth it for the sweatier games. The more expensive ones is a waste.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

The thin black one sticks pretty well for me, the blue one I got doesn't at all. I think the basic one is probably worth it for the sweatier games. The more expensive ones is a waste.

See and all the reviews Ive seen with the "fancy blue and red" ones, they all stuck and you could hear them ripping them off, and see them sticking really hard the whole way around.

The thin black one would be alright, If the light bleed wasnt so bad. Its somehow worse then the stock one, and when you look at it, its because the velcro isnt holding it down right. Hows your bleed?

I just cant keep using the stock one and play poo poo like sound boxing. I sweat to hard, And that thing just soaks it up and holds it. Ugh. Gross.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember some recent talk on one of the subreddits about the VRcovers, and how the newer production ones are bad.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

See and all the reviews Ive seen with the "fancy blue and red" ones, they all stuck and you could hear them ripping them off, and see them sticking really hard the whole way around.

The thin black one would be alright, If the light bleed wasnt so bad. Its somehow worse then the stock one, and when you look at it, its because the velcro isnt holding it down right. Hows your bleed?

I just cant keep using the stock one and play poo poo like sound boxing. I sweat to hard, And that thing just soaks it up and holds it. Ugh. Gross.

My blue one doesn't stick on the bottom part, so it presses against my nose. I haven't noticed much light bleed, but I haven't been looking for it and I like the nose hole. I'm happy with the black thin one overall, so it was a waste to get the advanced/whatever one instead of the basic.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Just gave this a shot and it'd be perfect except there's no Rift functionality at all. Usually Steam VR is good enough to make up for this, but you kind of have to use an invisible controller at an offset to handle the menu - it's maddening. I managed to wrestle my way into making some awesome looking fractals and there's a bunch of options to display them differently and adjust the parameters in real time and it's every bit as cool as I expected them to be. Turning Isolines to maximum gives you this amazing looking TRON visual which, combined with a fractal landscape, is totally unreal. Apparently the dev wants Rift compatibility before the new year so I won't refund it just yet, it's a cool piece of software that I just can't get the most functionality from yet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Songbearer posted:

In terms of pointless gimmick demos I'm desperately waiting for someone to make a good fractal generator that just lets you set lighting and shape parameters and then fly into an infinitely detailed nightmare forever. I love fractals and I bet they'd be amazing with the shifting scale in 3D.

Harmonix Music VR on PSVR is exactly this.

It also plays music and generates fractals based on the music.

iceaim posted:

Make sure you are running Fallout: New Vegas in 1920x1080. I think it looks much better than the resolution VorpX recommends.

Also click the "Configure VorpX" and make sure "SteamVR (HTC Vive)" is selected as your device.

I start SteamVR first, then I start the "Start vorpX" shortcut, and lastly I launch Fallout New Vegas via its shortcut. After I press "Play" in Fallout New Vegas it launches in my headset along with the VorpX overlay which tells you a bunch of stuff. After that I load a new game and once the world is loaded I press the delete key on my keyboard and do a direct VR scan. You need to do this each time you start a new game of New Vegas, but it doesn't need to be done if you reload a saved game after already playing.

You only need to do the stuff in this paragraph once. Press delete again and make sure to disable Crystal image and disable fluid sync. In the same ingame VorpX menu where you disable fluid sync, make sure to enable async. This'll ensure very smooth head tracking. You also should have async reprojection enabled in steamvr itself, ideally with the openvr advanced settings plugin.

After that I also recentre my headset and start playing New Vegas in VR with fantastic positional + rotational head tracking that is room scale ready.

Edit: Make sure to disable Nvidia shadow play and any virus scanners that you have running except Windows Defender. Don't fart or burp while setting up VorpX; the mic might pick it up and VorpX may take offence and refuse to output to your headset. If you use OBS, make sure it isn't running either just to be safe.

I was trying other games but I guess I have New Vegas so if you say that works for sure I can use it to test.

I configured and set SteamVR as my device. No luck. I'll try playing around with it more since I already own VorpX so I may as well...

Thanks for the setup tips

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 20, 2017

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

My blue one doesn't stick on the bottom part, so it presses against my nose. I haven't noticed much light bleed, but I haven't been looking for it and I like the nose hole. I'm happy with the black thin one overall, so it was a waste to get the advanced/whatever one instead of the basic.

Ive managed to get the thin black one in a place it works. And to be honest, If the velcro was better, and I paid 30 bucks, Id be way less unhappy.

I think whats going to happen, Unless they ship me a new one or something, is I'm going to just go buy some velcro that actually works. And re-line the stupid thing. Its not a big deal, its just loving annoying to have to mod something I just bought, To do what it should do out of the box.

I am really excited to get the middle sized one to stick, it would really be comfortable if I could get it on there right, and stuck the whole way to keep the light out. Its all the velcros fault.

I just realized I'm whining about velcro. Holy poo poo. Whats happening with my life. :(

EDIT: Finally started Arizona Sunshine. What a really good game so far.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 21, 2017

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
HTC just announced new permanent Vive price drop - $599: https://blog.vive.com/us/2017/08/21/htc-vive-announces-price-drop/

HTC posted:

All Vive purchases come with a free trial to Viveport Subscription, where consumers can choose up to 5 titles per month to experience, and copies of some of the most popular pieces of VR in Google’s Tilt Brush, EverestVR, and Richie’s Plank Experience.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

What a shock! Who could have seen that coming!

Edit: I was hopping to see the DAS included as well with new orders, but I guess that and a price drop is too much to really expect.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 21, 2017

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yeah, pleasantly surprised at the amount though - $200 in one hit. If/when Oculus's summer Rift sale ends, the two HMD's be within $100 of each other.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

El Grillo posted:

Yeah, pleasantly surprised at the amount though - $200 in one hit. If/when Oculus's summer Rift sale ends, the two HMD's be within $100 of each other.

599 is what I expected pretty much, it just makes too much sense as a price point. The one thing though thats making me all :psyduck: is what the gently caress was with that 50-200 off lotto sale they had like a week ago? Why the gently caress did they do that and how pissed is everyone who got less than the 200 off code?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Good

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Doesn't look like it comes with the DAS which it really should at this point

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So that's still $200 more than the Rift though, what are they thinking? I'm pretty sure the "limited time" Rift discount is going to be pretty permanent and the Vive doesn't come with the upgraded headstrap or the knuckles. I get that it's more roomscale but ugh.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you guys want a real trip, try IL-2:BoS with the Pat Wilson Dynamic Campaign Generator. It's focused on setting up realistic scenarios and you can crank up the number of planes in scene to a huge fur ball of steel. Even better if you blast the Dunkirk soundtrack while you do it.

Coming out on top from a face to face with a Bf-109 was an absolute loving rush, goddamn.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

mobby_6kl posted:

So that's still $200 more than the Rift though, what are they thinking? I'm pretty sure the "limited time" Rift discount is going to be pretty permanent and the Vive doesn't come with the upgraded headstrap or the knuckles. I get that it's more roomscale but ugh.

Oculus has already said once the "sale ends" its going up 100$.

Other than that. I still agree. Touch > Wands and the 2 camera roomscale has been more than enough for my play space (Steam reports 1.5x2.5m but its closer to 1.8 or 2.0x2.5. I just leave the walls in a bit close, saves blinds and things.

Right now its a no brainer. Rift 100% easily wins.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

I think the reasons they got such a big lead initially in terms of sales (by all accounts) were (a) Oculus being terrible in terms of business practice, PR, basically everything and (b) Oculus not releasing with Touch.
Basically I think they're still riding on the advantage they got from Oculus's bad decisions early on. In a small community like that of high end PC gamers, a company's reputation as 'open' and 'for the gamers' can trump real deficiencies in terms of quality of product etc. (and the products are actually pretty close in terms of quality of experience).
Also the Vive/HTC are effectively conflated with Valve so that gave them an immediate headstart with most of the community.

All this has been pretty good so far because it's made Oculus (for the most part) take their thumb out and stop being so terrible, but yeah I don't think HTC's strategy can last. Then again gently caress knows what their long term strategy is, aren't they permanently on the rocks anyway?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

Coming out on top from a face to face with a Bf-109 was an absolute loving rush, goddamn.

Now do it against a 190 :v:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I could see most of HTC's goodwill evaporating if the LG HMD ends up being good. I like the Vive and all but I don't think there is any kind of brand loyalty out there to HTC, the people that care about that stuff just want something in the SteamVR ecosystem and it doesn't matter who's manufacturing it.

If the thing comes out late enough that they just say gently caress it and ship the thing with knuckles rather than wands, RIP.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

iceaim posted:

New Vegas

How does it work - is it just HMD instead of mouse or do you have independent view and weapon aiming?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I got Vive because I thought and still think the tracking method is far superior. I would love better controllers tho.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

alphabettitouretti posted:

How does it work - is it just HMD instead of mouse or do you have independent view and weapon aiming?

You don't have independent view and weapon aiming unfortunately, but that isn't nearly as bad as I imagined that it would be. The fantastic geometric stereoscopic 3D alongside the sensory deprivation of being in a headset where you can't see the real world makes New Vegas significantly more immersive than playing it on a 2d monitor. Also you can peek around corners and crawl into little spaces that you normally wouldn't be able to with the positional and rotational headtracking.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 21, 2017

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Stick100 posted:

Vive has non-controller trackers that are pretty great on your feet, though there's nothing I'm aware of that actually uses them yet. I got 2, specifically so I can enable kicking things in the games I'm making with Unity, and they're pretty nice.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

metztli posted:

Vive has non-controller trackers that are pretty great on your feet, though there's nothing I'm aware of that actually uses them yet. I got 2, specifically so I can enable kicking things in the games I'm making with Unity, and they're pretty nice.

If you care there is one game that requires the trackers and footstraps. http://store.steampowered.com/app/646440/Redfoot_Bluefoot_Dancing_for_VIVE_Trackers/

Apparently there are already 8 other games that work with foottracking including Climbey.

https://rebuffreality.com/

Oh yeah I know about them, but I didn't feel like spending $200 on those just for development before it's even clear if HTC is going to try to sell those to customers. I can only hope that the Knuckles are cheap and ship with a mounting solution to place the Wands on you legs and an extra USB adapter to allow all 4 devices to track.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 22, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
just realized that the echo arena locomotion would be perfect for portal vr, all you would need to do is add in a small acceleration effect whenever you go through a portal to compensate for no gravity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

homeless snail posted:

I could see most of HTC's goodwill evaporating if the LG HMD ends up being good. I like the Vive and all but I don't think there is any kind of brand loyalty out there to HTC, the people that care about that stuff just want something in the SteamVR ecosystem and it doesn't matter who's manufacturing it.

If the thing comes out late enough that they just say gently caress it and ship the thing with knuckles rather than wands, RIP.

I’ve gotten the sense that most Vive owners love SteamVR but can’t wait to sever ties with HTC thanks to stuff like “a replacement Vive wand will cost you $140” and a perception that HTC is nickel and diming customers with things like the DAS.

I wonder what HTC’s plan for relevance is once the LG hardware hits the market.