Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Literally any Xinput device can do the same in SteamVR if you hit whatever the home button is set to (usually either the XBOX button or Start+Select). As a bonus you can set it up so double tapping it enables the front camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
More review!

Beyond the City - Tower Defense in VR. Conceptually, this works really well. Jumping from tower to tower taking manual control, placing and upgrading defense, and fighting creeps is satisfying. The implementation though, is.... rough. Very rough. The tutorial keeps saying something hellishly annoying, its difficult to get useful information as you play, the spell abilities are super lackluster, and you can't actually see any information about what upgrading your towers means. I have yet to beat the first level with a collosus enemy. The bow and arrow shooting is pretty decent though. Hopefully this game keeps improving and ends up good after it comes out of Early Access, it has promise but its just not there yet.

Deadly Hunter VR - poo poo. You can't leave levels mid level without quitting the game. The interface is not great. Levels themselves are just "enemies run at you from one direction, get headshots" except shooting and hit detection are both bad. There are traps and defenses but you yourself have no control over how they get placed, you can't interact with the UI if you accidentally draw an arrow which happens all the time, you can't switch the hand your bow is in unless you are standing in just the right place. There is literally nothing in this game that earns a recommendation. Avoid. No clue why it's even called "Deadly Hunter" since you aren't loving hunting anything!

Island 359 - If you want a game where you do hunt stuff, this is much better. Hunting Dinosaurs with a variety of weapons is pretty satisfying, even if the graphics and artwork and behaviours are all a bit lackluster. Big Game hunting mode is both more and less satisfying than the normal mode - more, because you only get a bow and throwing knives and the way you interact with smaller dinosaurs, relying on ambushing and hiding in tall grass, is much more satisfying, but less because fighting the big dinosaurs the mode is actually about is all about badly abusing their piss poor AI. Still, I had fun with it. It sees regular updates, with the recently added ability to accumulate gear acquired through Mercenary mode missions. I don't have high hopes for it, and the price tag is high considering its competitors in the "shooter" realm, but... it's the best game with Dinosaurs I've played and Dinosaurs are cool.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Just a note for those of you excited about Vorpx: many of those games that "work" don't really work the way you expect. Some games your head movements emulate a mouse moving and the feeling is completely unnatural. Other games your head movement does nothing at all and you just keep looking forward. It's really janky and definitely not worth 40 loving dollars. Moving around in those games not meant for VR can also be really uncomfortable and downright vomit-triggering too.

Save your money and play games that were made for VR or have baked in VR modes and the few VR mods that are really good for older games like Doom 3.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
If anyone picked up 2spooky horror game >observer_ lately, there's apparently hidden VR support if you add -vr to the launch option. I don't have the game so I can't try this, but people report it works (to a point - it's not officially supported so expect jank) and that it looks really good. Surprised it wasn't already a feature in a game that's subject matter is "technology can be a horrible nightmare".

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 24, 2017

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
https://www.eater.com/2017/8/23/16192508/kfc-virtual-reality-training-oculus-rift

So KFC released a VR Training game.

The press release notes that this VR exercise takes workers through the chicken cooking process in just 10 minutes, as opposed to the 25 minutes it takes IRL, so perhaps the idea here is to speed up the training process (and to avoid potentially wasting product). Or hey, maybe somebody at KFC HQ just got a really good deal on a whole pallet of Oculus Rifts.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Job Simulator: KFC?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Atomizer posted:

Also on that note, is there any point in connecting a controller (that I already have?) I know the Rift used to come with an Xbox controller before Touch came out, but now is there anything I'd need a real controller for (and I have an Xbox, PS4, and Steam controller if necessary) or can Touch do everything?

Yes, there are some games that work only/best with a controller. At least House of the Dying Sun, Landfall, Lucky's Tale and, Chronos. Here's a list of Rift launch games http://www.pcgamer.com/all-31-oculus-rift-launch-games-our-take-on-a-strong-launch-lineup/, most probably work best on Xbox controller still. I would get the Xbox One controller working since it's now the defacto standard VR game-pad since it came with the Rift for so long. I expect to see Xbox controller games for the foreseeable future, I'm sure they'll technically work with touch but without a good way to anchor the two touch controllers together the controller will be more comfortable.

Not a huge deal since hands/touch is so much better but there are some things here and there you'll want to have a Xbox One Game-pad for.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Haha yup. Apparently the Colonel laughs or talks to you.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Flaggy posted:

https://www.eater.com/2017/8/23/16192508/kfc-virtual-reality-training-oculus-rift

The press release notes that this VR exercise takes workers through the chicken cooking process in just 10 minutes, as opposed to the 25 minutes it takes IRL, so perhaps the idea here is to speed up the training process (and to avoid potentially wasting product). Or hey, maybe somebody at KFC HQ just got a really good deal on a whole pallet of Oculus Rifts.

My favorite part is the part where you touch cooked food after handling raw chicken.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Wanna play dat chicken game, where is it?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bhodi posted:

Wanna play dat chicken game, where is it?

The article says it's an internal training tool so "released" may be inaccurate.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Yeah, it's a cute little experience but I can't see the practicality in it. Is every KFC going to have a gaming PC in the back along with a Rift? For a 8 minute experience that kind of vaguely and jokingly shows you what to do with the chicken?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Songbearer posted:

If anyone picked up 2spooky horror game >observer_ lately, there's apparently hidden VR support if you add -vr to the launch option. I don't have the game so I can't try this, but people report it works (to a point - it's not officially supported so expect jank) and that it looks really good. Surprised it wasn't already a feature in a game that's subject matter is "technology can be a horrible nightmare".

Holy poo poo that is great news, thanks! Was actually holding off for some kind of vr mod/support.

GutBomb posted:

Just a note for those of you excited about Vorpx: many of those games that "work" don't really work the way you expect. Some games your head movements emulate a mouse moving and the feeling is completely unnatural. Other games your head movement does nothing at all and you just keep looking forward. It's really janky and definitely not worth 40 loving dollars. Moving around in those games not meant for VR can also be really uncomfortable and downright vomit-triggering too.

Save your money and play games that were made for VR or have baked in VR modes and the few VR mods that are really good for older games like Doom 3.

While that warning is absolutely necessary for your average user, I have no problem just using my head as a mouse. I can even stand it without positional tracking. What I have a problem with is his big rear end list which is just a big rear end lie

Unless something is wrong with my setup, z3d rendering doesn't do poo poo on 99% of those games so Battlefields/Far Cries/Calls of Duty were just a 2d screen with lovely head tracking. I can stand the lovely head tracking. But holy poo poo listing all those games on the site and then not actually guaranteeing stereo 3d is some bullshit.

Where the hell is that Payday 2 VR beta dammit

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Here's a playthrough of the KFC chicken trainer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4DIM5S68W0

The Colonel's voice actor has an awful, phlegmmy, hacking cough throughout, which I thought was a strange choice for a food prep course.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Lumpen posted:

Here's a playthrough of the KFC chicken trainer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4DIM5S68W0

The Colonel's voice actor has an awful, phlegmmy, hacking cough throughout, which I thought was a strange choice for a food prep course.
This is pretty drat weird, and I've played Accounting.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
To be fair that's actually pretty drat neat. How useful it is for training I couldn't possibly say, but the production values and creativity of the presentation isn't something I expected at all.

mellowjournalism posted:

Holy poo poo that is great news, thanks! Was actually holding off for some kind of vr mod/support.

Lemme know how that goes - I love the concept of Observer but I was in the same boat, holding out for VR. Apparently the devs love VR, so here's hoping for official support - I think it's a good candidate for it. I don't mind a little jankiness if the basic experience holds up so I'll grab it if you think it works out.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 24, 2017

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's a marketing stunt not an actual training thing.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
lol at the "Take My Hand" locomotion

lmao at the whole thing

Songbearer posted:

Lemme know how that goes - I love the concept of Observer but I was in the same boat, holding out for VR. Apparently the devs love VR, so here's hoping for official support - I think it's a good candidate for it. I don't mind a little jankiness if the basic experience holds up so I'll grab it if you think it works out.

I'll post in here if I get it anytime soon, probably gonna get my PC upgraded first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-CYUJVYShU

Looks pretty good. I really love that it's a hidden mode and not an advertised feature because this would be a great trend for developers-- just put the most basic VR support into every game already, please. You can add comfort options and slick presentation later for chrissakes. It's like once VR is mentioned, everyone freaks out and before you know it, a fully fleshed out and proven game design is reduced to a 2 hour "experience" where I wander around inside half a game wishing I could actually play it. I get it, most people are still behind the sim sickness curve, but man part of all this slow adoption is because VR games are so thin and shallow.

Really hoping Fallout/Skyrim/Payday convince developers they're missing out on converting existing AAA games, and that Observer shows them you can just start with barebones functionality.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Terrific Accident posted:

Yeah, it's a cute little experience but I can't see the practicality in it. Is every KFC going to have a gaming PC in the back along with a Rift? For a 8 minute experience that kind of vaguely and jokingly shows you what to do with the chicken?

My guess is that it's for the corporate people who will never actually work in a restaurant, to show them the steps involved in a memorable way without just watching a video about it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Any news on next gen headsets yet? Is there any reason to expect LG's vive will be better than HTC's vive?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
It might be slightly better overall, but it's not certainly not going to be a generational leap.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Just had the best idea for a treadmill thing specifically for subnautica (not the land bits or the submarines or bases I guess) I mean you could have a huge pool and an air line with a wireless headset and uh loads of tracking or a smaller pool but with fans so you're pushed back with force equal to your swimming so you only actually get anywhere ig. you would need touch support for this. the seaglide would rock, you could have it drop into the pool on an arm and then the fans or whatever blast you with water to create a sense of speed! imagine meeting the leviathan when you're actually underwater

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Just got my rift. I don't know if the other games are going to be any good but the tutorial with the robot was mind blowing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Just had the best idea for a treadmill thing specifically for subnautica (not the land bits or the submarines or bases I guess) I mean you could have a huge pool and an air line with a wireless headset and uh loads of tracking or a smaller pool but with fans so you're pushed back with force equal to your swimming so you only actually get anywhere ig. you would need touch support for this. the seaglide would rock, you could have it drop into the pool on an arm and then the fans or whatever blast you with water to create a sense of speed! imagine meeting the leviathan when you're actually underwater
Or get a hammock/sex swing and lay down in it in swimming position. I thought about getting a VR hammock to play Rez in, I bet it would be even better than VR bean bag

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
They released the rules/schedule for the Echo Arena VR Challenger League (200k in prizes split between this and the Unspoken):

https://play.eslgaming.com/echoarena/

They got both EU/NA

I'm going to win but I think everyone will still have fun

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
All competitiors should have to record themselves playing every round with an external webcam so someone can make a supercut of how professional VR players look outside of the game because it would be hilarious

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Songbearer posted:

All competitiors should have to record themselves playing every round with an external webcam so someone can make a supercut of how professional VR players look outside of the game because it would be hilarious

https://clips.twitch.tv/DifficultGentleGerbilOMGScoots

You look really cool and there's no way around it

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I got the VR mod for Alien: Isolation and it looks amazing. The only problem is I don't have a gamepad yet. Is it possible to use the Oculus Touch like an Xbox controller? I don't mean the motion tracking but just the buttons and the sticks.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

How are Echo Arena and Lone Echo related? Or did they both happen to come out at the same time and have the word "echo" in the name?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Arena is the multiplayer and Lone is the single player

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Grey posted:

How are Echo Arena and Lone Echo related? Or did they both happen to come out at the same time and have the word "echo" in the name?

Echo Arena is the (currently) free multiplayer component of Lone Echo.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The Grey posted:

Echo Arena is the multiplayer portion of Lone Echo. While working on Lone Echo they played around with a multiplayer idea, and it eventually gained enough momentum that they released it separately (though it also comes with Lone Echo if you buy that). Canonically Echo Arena exists as well within the world of Lone Echo.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I got the VR mod for Alien: Isolation and it looks amazing. The only problem is I don't have a gamepad yet. Is it possible to use the Oculus Touch like an Xbox controller? I don't mean the motion tracking but just the buttons and the sticks.

From Reddit, but it looks like you'd have to go through some steps and use third party mapping software. https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/61j9ib/how_to_use_the_oculus_touch_controllers_as_an/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Atomizer posted:

Now I guess I have to find some actual games to play in VR! :v: I have Elite Dangerous, which I've only played once or twice, so I might see how that goes in VR. I tried Minecraft, which I never really liked in the first place. I played the regular SuperHot, (which I highly recommend either way, btw) so I'll probably try that although it looks like I have to buy the VR version separately. :/ I'll also probably get Killing Floor and Eve, because I have experience with both of those IPs. Then I'd really like to investigate VorpX and try to get some regular games running if possible.

Yes you have to buy Superhot VR seperate, do it anyways its loving GREAT.

VorpX doesn't work for me and even if it did, retrofitted VR games are generally pretty poo poo. Even if you get VorpX working for the few games it supports proper VR for, you're still stuck with your gun and arms constantly pointing whatever direction you look.

These days there's enough proper VR games I wouldn't mess with it.

Flaggy posted:

Reminds me of Sneak King.

Fast food video game promotions are weird.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

haveblue posted:

VR as a training platform has some insane potential in the coming years. Lowe's is doing store tests on showing people how to do home improvement projects and then giving them a little postcard thing after they're done that lists the tools used and what aisle they're on. There's going to be a serious industry for making training "games" once the headsets get lighter/cheaper. I'd bet my house on it.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Looks like HTC might sell or spin off the Vive side of their business to someone else.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-24/smartphone-maker-htc-is-said-to-explore-strategic-options

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Did anybody get this? http://store.steampowered.com/app/408520/FORM/

Terrific Accident posted:

From Reddit, but it looks like you'd have to go through some steps and use third party mapping software. https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/61j9ib/how_to_use_the_oculus_touch_controllers_as_an/

Or buy my xboxtroller!

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

FORM was pretty nice I thought. Short, but fairly impressive.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/rELjrOyqZt8

Tank simulator, anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chadzok posted:

FORM was pretty nice I thought. Short, but fairly impressive.

Yeah. One of my favourites in the burgeoning VR genre of 'get really high and finish it in one sitting'