Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mr. Podunkian posted:

I've been going through the executable with a hex editor and I'm finding there are some configurable values that aren't shown in the default Fallout4VrCustom.ini file, such as:

code:
[VR]
fVrScale=##
Which allows you to adjust your character scale (I put in 5 as a test value and ended up as a tiny 'lil guy.

I also found these values, which seemed interesting, but couldn't really do anything with them:
code:
[VRDisplay]
fRenderTargetSizeMultiplier=##
bUseRecommendedResolution=##
I tried setting the target size multiplier stupid high and use recommended resolution to 0, but it seemed to have no effect. I'm gonna poke at it a bit more and see if I can dig some more stuff up, but yeah, dis gam is blurry!
wasted vr when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor
In a way, isn't all VR wasted??

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Mr. Podunkian posted:

I've been going through the executable with a hex editor and I'm finding there are some configurable values that aren't shown in the default Fallout4VrCustom.ini file, such as:

code:
[VR]
fVrScale=##
Which allows you to adjust your character scale (I put in 5 as a test value and ended up as a tiny 'lil guy.

That's a nice find. People were complaining about their character being too short. I wonder how that number corresponds to actual height.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm not sure if this is :filez: or not but if you copy the dlc from your normal fallout 4 install to the fo4vr install the dlc works if you enable mod support.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shemp the Stooge posted:

That's a nice find. People were complaining about their character being too short. I wonder how that number corresponds to actual height.

Being in the power armor feels weird and claustrophobic. Wonder if that'll fix that feeling. Its like, the suits too small for the already short character you play.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Zero VGS posted:

The Steam reviews for F04 are pretty amusing...
The guy who thought he was a dwarf might have been in comfort crouch mode (Grip button on left controller). This is so you don't have to physically crouch all the time to do all the sneaking in game.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm not sure if this is :filez: or not but if you copy the dlc from your normal fallout 4 install to the fo4vr install the dlc works if you enable mod support.

lmao, wait, didn't they specifically not bundle any DLC because they said it wouldn't work with all the VR changes, and it implicitly would be too much work to also get that content working?

Man, I'd love to play a bethesda open world game in vr bad, why did the only one on PC have to be made by bethesda? :v:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

cheesetriangles posted:

Good to know.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Tom Guycot posted:

lmao, wait, didn't they specifically not bundle any DLC because they said it wouldn't work with all the VR changes, and it implicitly would be too much work to also get that content working?

I guess they meant "we didn't want to pay anyone to test the DLC."

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
It's more like they didn't pay anyone to test this at all. I had to do the intro 3 times because the guy who pushes the elevator button wasn't spawning. And sometimes my gun turns back into the Vive wand, but still fires and reloads as the gun.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Man, I'd love to play a bethesda open world game in vr bad, why did the only one on PC have to be made by bethesda? :v:

Why is Skyrim vr not on pc anyway? I doubt it would cannibalize PSVR sales since most people have one or the other and would most likely get them more profit. It seems like a dumb thing to have as an exclusive

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I am shocked and surprised to learn that a Bethesda game is buggy.

8one6
May 20, 2012

rio posted:

Why is Skyrim vr not on pc anyway? I doubt it would cannibalize PSVR sales since most people have one or the other and would most likely get them more profit. It seems like a dumb thing to have as an exclusive

From what I've heard the odds are good it's just a timed exclusive.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I haven’t turned my rift on in like a year. I was waiting for fo4 or Skyrim but they apparently aren’t available.

Is there even one good legitimate rift game besides superhot and that launch rpg

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I didn't test it totally because it's late. But I went to Kasumi's house and took the boat to Far Harbor. So far everything is working normally with no bugs. This is really funny. What a lazy job by Bethesda.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
As a very long time Bethesda open world game player (Morrowind on into Fallout 4) this is exactly what everyone who is like me expected. Bethesda is ultra lazy and doesn't know their games or engines as well as even casual modders.
That it is exactly the normal Fallout 4 game with VR bits glommed on is rad as gently caress though because that means all the Fallout 4 mods that already exist probably won't take much to be brought over, if anything.
The down side is LoversLab is a thing.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Note that you probably don't want to play FO4 VR on survival difficulty. Losing progress due to not saving is far more frustrating when that progress also involves physical labor.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Less Fat Luke posted:

Apparently this is doing the trick for some people in regards to blurriness:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/7j6u06/fallout_4_vr_looks_absolutely_horrid_no/dr44vvg/

I'm still downloading it so I can't personally see if it helps :)

Console - TAA off

Is what cleared it up for me. Takes the vasoline blur they had on anything more that 2 feet away and now everything is super crisp and clear. The first 2 hours of the game I was straight up nearsighted.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Less Fat Luke posted:

Apparently this is doing the trick for some people in regards to blurriness:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/7j6u06/fallout_4_vr_looks_absolutely_horrid_no/dr44vvg/
This helped, as did upping the supersampling. My computer was approximately the "min requirements" but I was still able to raise supersampling a bunch on Fallout 4

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I find it crazy that somehow the desktop resolution is tied to the game's render resolution. I thought people were talking out their rear end at first, but no, if you run at 1440p and use compatibility options on the fallout4vr executable to set DPI scaling to Application controlled, you get a significant sharpness boost. I find 1440p with TXAA enabled so it isn't aliased to gently caress is the best while stopping it from falling into reprojection too often on my 1080.

What the hell is up with their OpenVR implementation?

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 12, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

beergod posted:

I haven’t turned my rift on in like a year. I was waiting for fo4 or Skyrim but they apparently aren’t available.

Is there even one good legitimate rift game besides superhot and that launch rpg

I mean, theres no universal recommendations, I don't know what you'll like, but at this point I think theres a ton of legitimate games worth playing in VR.

Bigger studio full releases:

-Lone Echo & Echo Arena (Lone echo is the single player, the multiplayer portion, Echo Arena, is free)
-Robo Recall
-Mage's Tale
-Arktika.1
-Talos Principle
-Obduction
-From Other Suns
-Wilson's Heart
-FO4 (its a janky bethesda game but it runs on the rift)
-Doom VFR
-Star Trek Bridge Crew
-Killing Floor: Incursion
-Call of the Starseed 1&2

Smaller and Indie releases:
-Gorn
-Raw Data
-Onward
-Pavlov
-Theres a couple games now with battle royale mode if you like that, Bullets And More, and Stand Out
-Pulsar
-House of the Dying sun
-Ultrawings

Off the top of my head I can think of those that I would at least consider good legitimate games, especially the bigger ones like Lone Echo, that I would put right up with superhot and chronos. A lot of indie ones I'll grant are often smaller experiences with a lot of rough edges, but also have some of the more unique experiences.

VR is to the point now I have a backlog of games I haven't had a chance to even get to, and I personally feel like we're getting beyond the point where lack of content is a big issue.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Just had my first taste of the Rift and Robo Call and superhot.

Ho Lee Fuq.

I thought VR was just going to be the game in 3D, but its badass how you become the Character and interact with everything. Its more immersive than I anticipated.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Fallout 4 VR sucks rear end in Rift right now because the menus are functionally unusable. Beyond that it seems like it's fine if you like Fallout 4 but if you don't adding VR won't make you like it. It feels very obviously like a flatscreen game with VR stuff bolted on. Hoped for better, but didn't really expect much, so it's about where I expected it to be.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

SwissCM posted:

I find it crazy that somehow the desktop resolution is tied to the game's render resolution. I thought people were talking out their rear end at first, but no, if you run at 1440p and use compatibility options on the fallout4vr executable to set DPI scaling to Application controlled, you get a significant sharpness boost. I find 1440p with TXAA enabled so it isn't aliased to gently caress is the best while stopping it from falling into reprojection too often on my 1080.

What the hell is up with their OpenVR implementation?

Their Open VR implementation has that classic Bethesda AAA polish that we've all grown to love!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Lemming posted:

Fallout 4 VR sucks rear end in Rift right now because the menus are functionally unusable. Beyond that it seems like it's fine if you like Fallout 4 but if you don't adding VR won't make you like it. It feels very obviously like a flatscreen game with VR stuff bolted on. Hoped for better, but didn't really expect much, so it's about where I expected it to be.

Hopefully the fact that it apparently works with mods means Rift users will just have to wait for someone to make a UI mod rather than relying on Bethesda, at least.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bremen posted:

Hopefully the fact that it apparently works with mods means Rift users will just have to wait for someone to make a UI mod rather than relying on Bethesda, at least.

Yeah, I assume it won't be long until it's fixed, but I'd hold off because otherwise your first impression will be massively negative (if you're on a Rift) for something that was clearly not even tried out for two seconds.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I mean, I already said it a page ago, but why in vr you would have a wrist computer thats controlled by pressing buttons and stick and touch pads, instead of a vr object you could press with your other hand or something. A wrist computer they already made a phone app for that you could literaly strap to your actual wrist and control with its touchscreen...

EDIT:

Its just frustrating because they already made the perfect VR pipboy controls when they first released the game :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0OVtTaWAoU&t=195s

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 12, 2017

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
You can set the pipboy to project in the air in front of you, it even removes the model from your arm and you get this weird holo-wall at the perfect height. Controls for it are still poo poo though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A lot sucks, but there is definitely something about being able to explore a big, open environment in VR that is really compelling.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah if you can get out of the intro (which was always terrible) and get your character setup it does improve a lot. Some of the environments that felt boring or generic have a lot of life in VR. The gun fight outside the museum was way more epic than it ever has been. The wilderness feels alive. The graphics also look pretty good to me (I'm not getting the blur bug).

Unfortunately the controls are still just awful on a Rift. Trying to equip weapons is such a pain in the rear end. I can't imagine doing all the item juggling the game requires. Compared to Skyrim they have the absolute perfect framing for a VR interface in the pipboy and they hosed it up completely.

It really feels more like a mod. It'd be an impressive mod but pretty terrible for a $60 upgrade. I put in for a refund. Even if mods/patches show up quickly I'd rather get it cheaper off GMG or whatever and not pay full price for something like this.

I'm still surprised Bethesda is more petty than greedy. I knew they didn't want to give Oculus any marketing fodder but beyond selling fewer copies to Oculus owners they also cratered their reviews on Steam. They could have silently implemented extremely half assed Rift support and got by for very little effort.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I got it at a fairly large discount, I'm glad I did.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad I still haven't bought any version of fallout 4. One day AAA games will feature the polish that befits a 1m USD+ venture. Until then...

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Check out the new multiplayer Lazer Tag game in the Rec Room (free). After playing in it for ten minutes, you start to forget that its VR, especially the way you crouch and hide behind cover.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Good god lock picking and hacking are horrible. Hacking was always dumb but now it's dumb and harder to read. Lock picking.... You have these two controllers that can accurately measure position and rotation and can vibrate. Better use a touchpad and a trigger to pick locks! Also the lock is tiny, far away, and clipped into the wall.

Still fun but drat did they miss a ton of opportunities to implement some of the really neat VR features.

Good thing there will be mods.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Tried Supersampling 2.0 on low impact apps (Virtual Desktop and Oculus Home) with a GTX 970 and I had about 90% free overhead still; yet, I had a couple of weird crashes on Virtual Desktop (both Oculus and external monitor went dark, external monitor showing "No Signal") that required a restart to fix.

With SS set to 2.0 I could see some visual improvements, but nothing as major as I expected (IE: my external monitor is still vastly more sharp and clear); I assume that's expected?

I'm a bit afraid of visual glitches, but I'll try SS 1.3 on RoboRecall and see if I can spot any difference.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
There's a Steam Beta update for FO4 to address some stuff: http://steamcommunity.com/games/611660/announcements/detail/1464097826809906021

Fixed an issue that would affect the in-game resolution based on desktop resolution 

Increased default application supersampling value from 1.0 to 1.4x
-- To change this value up or down to adjust performance or quality, add the following to your Fallout4Custom.ini in My Games/Fallout4VR: 
[VRDisplay] 
fRenderTargetSizeMultiplier=< your value > 

Fixed an issue where players would be unable to use the world rotate functionality while commanding companions 

Stability improvements

8one6
May 20, 2012

I just tried out Fo4VR and it is a stuttering mess (I'm on the 1.0.28.0 beta.)

I'm going to have to play around with the various settings tomorrow after work. I'm guessing it's either the default supersampling or one of the AA settings from what I'm reading online.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

FO4 Vr is a ton of fun and that beta patch fixed that weird blurryness I was getting from anything more than a few feet away. Only problem I’ve had is getting bad motion sickness, I’ve never gotten morion sickness before with my vive and its putting me off the game :(. Teleportation isnt much better.

8one6 posted:

I just tried out Fo4VR and it is a stuttering mess (I'm on the 1.0.28.0 beta.)

I'm going to have to play around with the various settings tomorrow after work. I'm guessing it's either the default supersampling or one of the AA settings from what I'm reading online.

Turn your steamVR SS down to the default 1.4. I updated to the beta patch and had to turn it down.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

That Italian Guy posted:

(IE: my external monitor is still vastly more sharp and clear); I assume that's expected?

This is a fundamental limitation of this generation of VR, yeah. A few megapixels spread over most of your field of view will never look as good as the same number of pixels concentrated in a rectangle in front of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I'm a bit worried that the VR interaction/gestures missing in Fo4 aren't stuff that can be efficiently implemented using the existing native code and papyrus scripting. In principle I guess you can do whatever if you write native extensions to F4SE, but I doubt that many of the dedicated TES modding folks care about making VR-specific mods right now.