Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Fallout 4 not working correctly is hardly a Rift-exclusive experience, or even VR-exclusive.

I'm not aware of any Vive-exclusive titles right now, unless there are some in the memory hole that is Viveport? There may still be some Steam titles that do device checks, but the only ones I know of do them because they want Rift owners to buy the title through the Oculus store instead so they can charge people twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I'm still crossing my fingers that Oculus is serious about supporting all hardware once the OpenXR standard is adopted; from the people I've spoken with they all seem like they are sincerely good guys and things feel like they're on the up and up, but I'm fully willing to be wrong about that. Either way, lol about the "high margin" part where Oculus takes the same cut in their store as Valve does in Steam

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Good thing we have little guy Valve saving us from that big, bad Facebook monopoly.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

NRVNQSR posted:

Fallout 4 not working correctly is hardly a Rift-exclusive experience, or even VR-exclusive.

I'm not aware of any Vive-exclusive titles right now, unless there are some in the memory hole that is Viveport? There may still be some Steam titles that do device checks, but the only ones I know of do them because they want Rift owners to buy the title through the Oculus store instead so they can charge people twice.

Fallout 4 and Doom VFR are both sold as Vive exclusive games. You can get both to work on the rift just like you can get rift exclusives on the Vive.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty much every game without an Oculus sdk build is Vive "exclusive," though very few actively check for a Rift and crash on detection.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Nalin posted:

Good thing we have little guy Valve saving us from that big, bad Facebook monopoly.

this, too

edit:

VVVVVVV and this VVVVVVV

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 9, 2018

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I wouldn't hate Valve so much if they'd actually make some GOD drat VIDEO GAMES

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Nalin posted:

I am not sure how the size of a company matters more than its practices but hey you do you.

Lemming posted:

I wouldn't hate Valve so much if they'd actually make some GOD drat VIDEO GAMES

Same though have you seen artifact (*kills self*)

Lemming posted:

I'm still crossing my fingers that Oculus is serious about supporting all hardware once the OpenXR standard is adopted; from the people I've spoken with they all seem like they are sincerely good guys and things feel like they're on the up and up, but I'm fully willing to be wrong about that.

I don't doubt a lot of people there are cool and good. But then you realize Zuckerberg sits in the throne... I agree though, here is hoping everyone adopts an open standard.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

GutBomb posted:

Fallout 4 and Doom VFR are both sold as Vive exclusive games. You can get both to work on the rift just like you can get rift exclusives on the Vive.

Except their listed on the steam store as also supporting mixed reality. And from everything I am reading it uses steamvr but is not "exclusive" in any regard. In fact a few hours after doom vr came out, steam issued a steamvr update that helped the title launch on rifts...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Edit: ^^^^^ Fallout 4 """"works"""" on a Rift in only the most technical sense. Without any user made patches or updates, the menu is so unusable it's actually unplayable. Every time you go into a menu, the way the joystick works causes the cursor (in the map) or the selectors to jump around virtually randomly and you can't play like that unless you're some kind of psycopath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDjJQ7f1SeQ&t=285s

Knifegrab posted:

I don't doubt a lot of people there are cool and good. But then you realize Zuckerberg sits in the throne... I agree though, here is hoping everyone adopts an open standard.

Facebook has been outdoing themselves in doing hilariously awful poo poo in the past few years, believe me I have no love for them. If they just shovel cash at Oculus and remain relatively hands off (which is what it *seems* like they've been doing to me, in my completely uninformed view), that's a best case scenario in my eyes. I really think the break point will be in what happens with OpenXR, although I think we'll still see issues either way if the self contained stuff like Santa Cruz takes off, which I think it will.

Lemming fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 9, 2018

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

I'm not aware of any Vive-exclusive titles right now, unless there are some in the memory hole that is Viveport?

The Rift plays Viveport games with no issue. I used the Rift to play several Viveport games in the last 2 weeks.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lemming posted:

Edit: ^^^^^ Fallout 4 """"works"""" on a Rift in only the most technical sense. Without any user made patches or updates, the menu is so unusable it's actually unplayable. Every time you go into a menu, the way the joystick works causes the cursor (in the map) or the selectors to jump around virtually randomly and you can't play like that unless you're some kind of psycopath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDjJQ7f1SeQ&t=285s

Facebook has been outdoing themselves in doing hilariously awful poo poo in the past few years, believe me I have no love for them. If they just shovel cash at Oculus and remain relatively hands off (which is what it *seems* like they've been doing to me, in my completely uninformed view), that's a best case scenario in my eyes. I really think the break point will be in what happens with OpenXR, although I think we'll still see issues either way if the self contained stuff like Santa Cruz takes off, which I think it will.

To your first point, that seems more like lovely implementation than "exclusivity". I agree that is bogus though, they should fix it.

To your second point, totally. Keep your hands off my VR Zuck. I am really really really hoping openXR brings a collective togetherness to the vr industry. (Though I could actually see Valve loving it up as well)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I've never quite understood the hate Zuckerberg and facebook gets. I mean, I don't use facebook, but it also seems to me pretty harmless as giant companies go. What are they doing?

Gathering all the data they can about people and selling ads? Ok, but how is that different from Google, Microsoft, Apple, heck basically all of silicon valley and even traditional places like Target, or Wal-Mart? Everyone with a server and users is trying to get as much data as is humanlyAI possible. Why are they so singularly evil?

It's not like facebook is operating sweatshops, polluting whole ecosystems, giving people cancer, stealing water rights from poor locals, spilling oil everywhere, or any of a million ACTUALLY lovely things.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Tom Guycot posted:

I've never quite understood the hate Zuckerberg and facebook gets. I mean, I don't use facebook, but it also seems to me pretty harmless as giant companies go. What are they doing?

Gathering all the data they can about people and selling ads? Ok, but how is that different from Google, Microsoft, Apple, heck basically all of silicon valley and even traditional places like Target, or Wal-Mart? Everyone with a server and users is trying to get as much data as is humanlyAI possible. Why are they so singularly evil?

It's not like facebook is operating sweatshops, polluting whole ecosystems, giving people cancer, stealing water rights from poor locals, spilling oil everywhere, or any of a million ACTUALLY lovely things.

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard
Zuck: Just ask
Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS
[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?
Zuck: People just submitted it.
Zuck: I don't know why.
Zuck: They "trust me"
Zuck: Dumb fucks

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

This is starting to get back into politics but they did some uh shady things during the election especially. A lot of it relating to being more or less a willing participant in spreading massive amounts of fake news and propaganda.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Knifegrab posted:

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard
Zuck: Just ask
Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS
[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?
Zuck: People just submitted it.
Zuck: I don't know why.
Zuck: They "trust me"
Zuck: Dumb fucks

I mean, if thats the worst that a CEO has ever said when they were in college uh :shrug:. I'm more than willing to not hold a dumb off the cuff IRC message or whatever against some 20 year old for the rest of their life. I mean, poo poo, you know the kind of stuff Steve Jobs said/did?

I'm not saying he's a paragon of virtue or some poo poo, he's probably a dick like most of them, but I'm saying I still don't get why he's so singularly reviled other than the size of the company and how many users he has, and a movie being made about him.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tom Guycot posted:

They altered the information presented on people's feeds for social experiments without telling the participants, among other things. Plus they're more than willing to censor information and sources to suit their desires.

And also the general mistrust of a service that encourages and in some cases requires you to submit personal information while tracking you.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Tom Guycot posted:

Why not hate all of those people?

Zuck notably would like to be president or corprate dictator or something but has been going about this in the most obnoxiously incompetant way possible. Zuck plus Palmer Lucky previously running Oculus makes some people uneasy

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Nalin posted:

It is unreal how quick Valve burned through their goodwill in the past few years. I never thought I would see the day people would be siding with Zuck over Gaben.

Honestly, I don't think the issue is that they flake out on things like Half Life and VR. It's that they don't even have the politeness to tell their fans "hey dudes, we moved on to something else. Sorry!" It's like an rear end in a top hat friend who breaks plans and doesn't even bother to make an excuse.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

LA Noire is still Vive only, right? I thought it won't even launch on a Rift.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

PerrineClostermann posted:

They altered the information presented on people's feeds for social experiments without telling the participants, among other things.

Here's a link about that https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/29/facebook-users-emotions-news-feeds

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Tom Guycot posted:

I mean, if thats the worst that a CEO has ever said when they were in college uh :shrug:. I'm more than willing to not hold a dumb off the cuff IRC message or whatever against some 20 year old for the rest of their life. I mean, poo poo, you know the kind of stuff Steve Jobs said/did?

I'm not saying he's a paragon of virtue or some poo poo, he's probably a dick like most of them, but I'm saying I still don't get why he's so singularly reviled other than the size of the company and how many users he has, and a movie being made about him.

Its an example not a comprehensive list

the black husserl posted:

It is unreal how quick Valve burned through their goodwill in the past few years. I never thought I would see the day people would be siding with Zuck over Gaben.

Honestly, I don't think the issue is that they flake out on things like Half Life and VR. It's that they don't even have the politeness to tell their fans "hey dudes, we moved on to something else. Sorry!" It's like an rear end in a top hat friend who breaks plans and doesn't even bother to make an excuse.

It is quite funny too. I mean don't get me wrong boo on Valve for that but comparing a company that was planning on making a video game, that just doesn't end up making that video game to a company that has done quite a handful of immoral social things on massive (millions of users) scale, I don't even know how you possibly compare the two let alone side with the latter.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Valve’s not great and it’s weird that many of the same people who complain about modern PC gaming woes like always-on DRM and the proliferation of lootboxes are the first to jump to their defense, but yeah at the end of the day it’s still just games, Facebook is so woven into the fabric of society that they cant really even be compared to each other.

That said Oculus doesn’t appear to be as nefarious as the mothership and is still just games

For now

This isn’t saying Valve wouldn’t be as bad as FB given the same sized audience, their lootbox marketplace shows exactly where their priorities are

wyoak fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 10, 2018

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I don't fault Steam for Valve's game Dept. Tbh I think of them like 2 separate companies.

Are the FO4 dlc worth buying then copying to VR?I hear you can paste them in the directory/loadlist and it'll work. (I own vanilla fo4 with no dlc atm)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

wyoak posted:

Valve’s not great and it’s weird that many of the same people who complain about modern PC gaming woes like always-on DRM and the proliferation of lootboxes are the first to jump to their defense, but yeah at the end of the day it’s still just games, Facebook is so woven into the fabric of society that they cant really even be compared to each other.

That said Oculus doesn’t appear to be as nefarious as the mothership and is still just games

For now

This isn’t saying Valve wouldn’t be as bad as FB given the same sized audience, their lootbox marketplace shows exactly where their priorities are

What do you consider their "lootbox marketplace"? The only two games that have lootboxes that come to my mind are dota 2 and cs:go, they are completely optional, cosmetic only and allow those games to be continuously developed while providing all expansions/gameplay for free because of the cosmetics loot boxes.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Knifegrab posted:

What do you consider their "lootbox marketplace"? The only two games that have lootboxes that come to my mind are dota 2 and cs:go, they are completely optional, cosmetic only and allow those games to be continuously developed while providing all expansions/gameplay for free because of the cosmetics loot boxes.

Team Fortress 2 is the classic example.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Loot boxes, cosmetic or not, target a part of your brain that people more or less don't have defenses against. I agree cosmetics is the least scummy implementation, but you know there are still people ruining their lives spending money on that poo poo. It's gambling. Plus they abandoned all their design principles in going hard on them for TF2 (each class should have a distinctive silhouette, you shouldn't have access to things that affect gameplay without paying, and on and on), and in that game they aren't just cosmetic.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Looks like Oculus will have a fair amount of stuff to announce at GDC: https://www.oculus.com/blog/get-ready-oculus-returns-to-gdc/

Hopefully a good number of new PCVR games, not just mobile stuff.
...not that I have even had time to get through half the big VR games they've released in the past year lol.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They've spent every single conference talking about their mobile VR stuff, they HAVE to talk about PC VR at some point.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Steam also allows real money sales and trading of their skins which leads to actual gambling in an online community made up of a ton of kids.

Anyway, enough hand wringing - Valve is frustrating in the VR realm because the Lab showed pretty conclusively they have a handle on the medium, but that’s probably the only thing on the game side we’ll ever see from them. Knuckles seem promising but they’ve gone predictably quiet on those as of late. It seems like VR didn’t quite take off like they thought it might, and all the OEM’s are making mixed reality headsets, so the Oculus storefront isn’t the threat they may have perceived it to be. So now they’ve shifted their focus to online card games or whatever that new game is.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Finished the Brass Tactics campaign. Some really cool maps; I love how much difference the terrain makes and how much more present it is as a tactical aspect, given the 3D perspective. The later maps are all uphill climbs which makes things fun.
Also, the different endgame units are just really awesome. I'm glad Oculus gave them more money + time to flesh the game out. Lots more improvements to come as well it seems.

Cojawfee posted:

They've spent every single conference talking about their mobile VR stuff, they HAVE to talk about PC VR at some point.
Yeah Jason Rubin has been promising a bunch of big new PCVR title announcements for a while so I do think this could be it.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 10, 2018

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Pimax say 8k will be 80hz in their latest update. Anyone see that as being an actual problem if you don't really get motion sickness from VR anyway? Bit of freaking out on Reddit but surely 10hz less than rift/vive won't make that much difference?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
On that topic, have any of the VR headset vendors discussed supporting multiple refresh rates, or even fully variable (GSync/Freesync)?

90Hz is nice, but for watching movies either 72 or 96 would be better due to being multiples of 24. I definitely noticed some interesting judder when watching a movie the other day. The same applies with 60 and 120 for watching modern TV (50/100 for most PAL territories) or playing certain flatscreen games with locked framerates. A lower motion title could probably get away with lower refresh rates, which would then also minimize the need for ATW/ASW/whatever.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Variable rate might be nice if the minimum was pretty high and an ASW solution to keep it up if needed. I would hope they consider 120 on the fully portable headsets that will likely have high movie usage since it has multiples of 24/30/60, which nearly all video would be at.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Pimax say 8k will be 80hz in their latest update. Anyone see that as being an actual problem if you don't really get motion sickness from VR anyway? Bit of freaking out on Reddit but surely 10hz less than rift/vive won't make that much difference?

Its not really that 80hz is so bad (DK2 was 75 and fine really), it's more that it just speaks again to the company's attitude of promising the moon and the stars and then failing to deliver months and months later. So its 80hz, no big deal. Maybe next though they have panels that aren't calibrated to each other and each eye is getting screwed up slightly different colours and brightness, or the build quality just falls apart, or, who knows.

I really hope it comes out and is great but, it just feels like someone who'll say anything for a buck and headlines.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lemming posted:

Loot boxes, cosmetic or not, target a part of your brain that people more or less don't have defenses against. I agree cosmetics is the least scummy implementation, but you know there are still people ruining their lives spending money on that poo poo. It's gambling. Plus they abandoned all their design principles in going hard on them for TF2 (each class should have a distinctive silhouette, you shouldn't have access to things that affect gameplay without paying, and on and on), and in that game they aren't just cosmetic.

That's fair but I am also a garbage human and would happily enjoy more free content even if it means its built upon the backs of people with lovely self control.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
How is the jank level in Stand Out compared to the jank level of Pavlov? I just played some Pavlov and I'm loving it but kind of want to try some more stuff where you move around and shoot.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

GutBomb posted:

How is the jank level in Stand Out compared to the jank level of Pavlov? I just played some Pavlov and I'm loving it but kind of want to try some more stuff where you move around and shoot.

Stand out is imo one of the best shooters right now. Movement is fluid as gently caress and the gun mechanics are great. Patches are constant and it’s always improving.

Join the discord.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

We had five goons on one motorbike in standout tonight. We were a horrific mass of limbs driving around shooting everyone. It was awesome.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PowerfulApatheticHummingbirdHeyGirl clip of this proest of strats.

Also standout devs please put squads in this game.

mashed fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Nalin posted:

This is basically how the neckbeards in /r/vive actually think. They're beyond clueless and are obnoxious apologists for Valve while at the same time constantly bringing up the Oculus hardware lock (which Oculus back tracked on) as if Oculus could lock access of all your paid VR games anyday now if you're using Revive. That's suicide but these idiots are just so god drat tribal and closed minded that they've convinced themselves it's true. It's a shame since they're missing out on such fantastic VR games and they do truly run great on the Vive.

I'm really happy with all of my Oculus software purchases and will keep buying from them. There's really no reason not to, especially now that they have the same refund policy as Valve.

On the SteamVR front, Stand Out and Sprint Vector are so much god drat fun though so it's not like SteamVR is a wasteland. But I think it's much harder for devs to make sales on SteamVR than on Oculus Home. For consumers, you have to dig through a lot of poo poo to find gems but there's definitely plenty of gems.

Oh and on the HTC front. Well I'm pretty satisfied with them too. Actually dealing with warranty related stuff is easy here in Hong Kong now that I know the right communication channels to use (which HTC doesn't clearly tell you, I had to find out by making a forum post on their forum complaining). I would definitely buy the Vive Pro though I'll be waiting for people to get the Pimax on their hands and give feedback especially the X2 or whatever it's called that does native 4k since I'd be really interested in that one for virtual desktop use and then running it sub sampled for VR games. But if it turns out to be crap, I'll grab the Pro instead.

Speaking of virtual desktop. I really like using virtual screens, and not just for watching movies or playing non VR games in 3D. Even stuff like PUBG in 2D on a giant curved virtual screen is so god drat immersive, and I used to play it on my 70 inch 4k tv but now I'm going back to playing it in a virtual screen. Am I insane? The resolution is "good enough" (around 720p maybe slightly more? The switch does 720p only and nobody complains. It honestly doesn't look bad with super sampling. It's softer looking than my 4k tv but it doesn't look lovely to me at least.), the screen is OLED, and the sensory deprivation plus the massive screen scale makes up for reduced resolution. The deluxe audio strap significantly improves the overall experience thanks to the great comfort it provides, and I was fine with the regular strap from December 2016 to December 2017. Anyone else feel the same?

iceaim fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 12, 2018