Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yes, it does. Make sure your gpu drivers are up to date and you aren't running monitoring software like Afterburner or GPU-Z in the background, which can mess with it for some reason.

I'll rephrase. It doesn't have good reprojection like oculus does. Sim racing was much choppier with the wmr than the rift on the same machine with the same up to date drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Anton what done makes H3VR has outright said he'll probably never be discounting the game, but for £15 I honestly think it's perfect value if you know it's something you'd enjoy. It's my longest played VR game with 56 hours and the sheer amount of content and chillax nature of the game makes it super easy to go back to and spend time in. Now you can have floating windows up in the Rift I love to catch up with my videos while rattling some rounds off at the range and they're basically adding new content to the game every month, if not biweekly (Though he's moved all the latest updates to an alpha branch you have to opt into until they're polished enough for release).

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

GutBomb posted:

I'll rephrase. It doesn't have good reprojection like oculus does. Sim racing was much choppier with the wmr than the rift on the same machine with the same up to date drivers.

Well, it is pushing like 33% more pixels, so it will definitely run somewhat slower, but it sounds like some fuckery is still afoot. If you care, try running the windows spring creator's update from the release preview track, it makes a gigantic difference.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

ETA on a sale on the steam store? MP games = No buy for me on the oculus store. :-\

Likely sometimes very soon in the coming weeks, we know there was a general VR sale today but we didn't want to take the chance of stuff going really badly technically with the free weekend and seeing a lot of new players buying it and having poor experiences at the same time.

edit: it is cross platform though, if that wasn't clear. Both Oculus and Steam players play together.

Daynab fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 20, 2018

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Daynab posted:

Likely sometimes very soon in the coming weeks, we know there was a general VR sale today but we didn't want to take the chance of stuff going really badly technically with the free weekend and seeing a lot of new players buying it and having poor experiences at the same time.

edit: it is cross platform though, if that wasn't clear. Both Oculus and Steam players play together.

Yeah I just don't want MP games stuck to an oculus account. Last thing I need is to move to another VR headset and have to mess with weird stuff to play my games.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I disagree with some caveats. You have to have the right IPD because none of the WMR headsets except the Odyssey support IPD adjustment (which is absurd), but if your face is compatible it's a no-brainer impulse buy at $100-150 and actually worth it at $200. It's an actual roomscale VR setup with no lighthouse setup for less than the cost of a low-end video card.

Yes, the controllers are poo poo, but with the windows Spring update, the tracking is substantially better and there's finally haptic feedback. I have the Dell set and it's better in some ways (and worse in more ways) than the Vive.

My problems with it were the poo poo controllers, the Dell screen had a bit more lag being non-OLED which made me sick, and the single biggest problem was the really bad lenses, both no IPD adjustment and everything besides the middle third of the lens being permanently blurred/distorted. The blur problems were present on the Dell headset and the Samsung so I doubt the Lenovo is any better.

Anyhoo, it's beyond what I can tolerate. What you could do, is if you have a local Microsoft store, buy both the Lenovo and the Rift to your credit card, and return the one you feel is the worse value after trying them both (or, some stores have multiple VR headsets on demo for you, but it's better to take your time trying them at home). Microsoft Store I've returned headsets to no-questions-asked.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zero VGS posted:

My problems with it were the poo poo controllers, the Dell screen had a bit more lag being non-OLED which made me sick, and the single biggest problem was the really bad lenses, both no IPD adjustment

The Dell HAS an adjustment. Its digital and it DOES work.

The sweetspot is still tiny, and it maxed out at 67, and its still just a patch to not manually moving BUT it did help. I'd guess all WMR headsets have the same digital adjustment but the dell 100% did.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

EbolaIvory posted:

The Dell HAS an adjustment. Its digital and it DOES work.

The sweetspot is still tiny, and it maxed out at 67, and its still just a patch to not manually moving BUT it did help. I'd guess all WMR headsets have the same digital adjustment but the dell 100% did.

I have used digital IPD since DK2 and I absolutely don't consider that to count as "does work" in the slightest. My IPD is 59 and my boyfriend is 74 and even we could both see eye-to-eye that it sucks.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zero VGS posted:

I have used digital IPD since DK2 and I absolutely don't consider that to count as "does work" in the slightest. My IPD is 59 and my boyfriend is 74 and even we could both see eye-to-eye that it sucks.

Oh I didnt say it was fantastic. But it exists, and it DID help. So if you were in the range of it, its really not awful. I like you and the boyfriend have an odd IPD and it was headache city for me. But it DID get better once I maxed it out and if I had a smaller IPD I think I'd of kept my dell. It was really decent otherwise.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do any other Rift users have an issue where after a while they get a pain above their eyeball? I’m not sure if it’s me wearing my gear set too tight but it bothers me during extended SkyrimVR sessions.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I gave orbus a try. I could write a lot of words about it. I will say my first 10 minutes were pretty poor due to the config and difficulty of grabbing/selecting things and the general menu/configuration layout. It mostly can be summed up by "It's definitely not for me, and also really needs some polish".

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 20, 2018

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Do any other Rift users have an issue where after a while they get a pain above their eyeball? I’m not sure if it’s me wearing my gear set too tight but it bothers me during extended SkyrimVR sessions.
My guesses would be too tight, bad fit, or wrong IPD

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Wait, there was a Psychonauts VR game released today?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/788690/Psychonauts_in_the_Rhombus_of_Ruin/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's originally a PSVR game, and it's going right on my ever-growing Steam wishlist :swoon:.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The sale has caused a sobering realization that the “I own everything I remotely give a gently caress about” problem I get during sales now extends to VR. I need to get in itch.io and get me some weirdness. I did pick up Skyrim, so fiddling with that should be interesting.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bhodi posted:

I gave orbus a try. I could write a lot of words about it. I will say my first 10 minutes were pretty poor due to the config and difficulty of grabbing/selecting things and the general menu/configuration layout. It mostly can be summed up by "It's definitely not for me, and also really needs some polish".

Basically my impressions when it launched. I really would like a multiplayer RPG but I just could not get into that game last time I tried it. and if it was 19.99 id of kept it since I know enough people that play it I could putz around. But 30-40 is just, eh.

Warbird posted:

The sale has caused a sobering realization that the “I own everything I remotely give a gently caress about” problem I get during sales now extends to VR. I need to get in itch.io and get me some weirdness. I did pick up Skyrim, so fiddling with that should be interesting.

I went to "all deals" and 4 titles on the first page I didnt own. This sale has given me a few things but holy poo poo did I go really hard on VR. Thankfully thrill of the fight and a few other titles I didnt own.

Thrill is a hoot by the way. SO far, really recommend it.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 20, 2018

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Yeah I'm also in the 'already own it' boat, and none of the games I still want are on sale.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Picked up Soundboxing because it was cheap and people kept going on about it. I played about ten minutes and I fear may never be able to raise my arms again :rip:.

Out of curiosity is it explicitly pulling target placements from the youtube video itself somehow? because I swear it is.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Picked up Soundboxing because it was cheap and people kept going on about it. I played about ten minutes and I fear may never be able to raise my arms again :rip:.

Out of curiosity is it explicitly pulling target placements from the youtube video itself somehow? because I swear it is.

Nah, people make paths that get uploaded for Soundboxing. There should be an edit mode in there somewhere to make your own, I think.

Audioshield, a similar game I recommend, generates the beatmaps on the fly for any video on youtube. With... questionable success, usually, but it's still fun, and once in a while you hit a song that actually comes out good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ciaphas posted:

Nah, people make paths that get uploaded for Soundboxing. There should be an edit mode in there somewhere to make your own, I think.

Audioshield, a similar game I recommend, generates the beatmaps on the fly for any video on youtube. With... questionable success, usually, but it's still fun, and once in a while you hit a song that actually comes out good

Ah, excellent, I direct my unbridled hate in my exhausted state towards a specific random stranger then instead of just automated scripting.

Seriously though, the game is a lot of fun.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, likewise. I opened the game and was immediately confronted by an extremely ugly Nintendo Mii representing my character. I then had all the fun of attempting to fill out username and password forms in VR - for some reason the forms spawned inside my torso so I had to do this while looking directly down. I play on Rift in a pretty cramped office/bedroom, so this is not a problem I've only had in Orbus, but it would have been much reduced if those forms spawned further forward, or if I could have moved to make them more accessible.

Then I got dumped into an area of inky blackness and watched a series of images through a faraway window while a Fantasy Old Guy reeled off a screed about bad magic while unironically using the word "thou" a lot. Then I was dropped into The Starter Area next to Tutorial NPC Guy, and given exciting quests like "dig up three plants", "nearly die to this tutorial enemy" and suchlike. Movement was extremely weird until I was able to dig into the configuration settings for it - like by default there is no way to turn except by physically rotating your body. I was able to set it up the way I like it (SkyrimVR style with smooth movement and snap turning) but ideally I should've been able to do that before becoming a bit confused. Fighting the tutorial enemy felt very weak, like I had to shoot it about ten times with a musket. If I was reading the health meters correctly he actually would have killed me first, but the game took pity and he died while still on like 25% health.

That's where I left it. So, my suggestions to the Orbus team:

* Focus on improving those graphics for the players and human NPCs. The Mii-look is not a good one, and it's the first thing you see when you load the game.
* Allow players to set up their movement controls before they even log in, and force them to make those choices at the start of the game.
* Make combat a lot more punchy. I was presumably fighting a level 1 enemy in the tutorial - let me two or three-shot that sucker, maybe spawn a couple more. My attacks should feel impactful.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Taintrunner posted:

Try tilting it forward so the lower part of the interface bears the weight below your eyes. Much more comfortable Ive found.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Anyone have any game-ish ideas for VR cycling on a recumbent exercise bike? Looks like everything out there is closed source, proprietary stuff or just vaporware. I need something to ride in the winter and I want to explore some VR development soon. Going to figure out the Bluetooth protocol for the Schwin 270 and then play with some development. So far, I'm thinking of some kind of Tron light cycles style thing but I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Gort posted:

Yeah, likewise. I opened the game and was immediately confronted by an extremely ugly Nintendo Mii representing my character. I then had all the fun of attempting to fill out username and password forms in VR - for some reason the forms spawned inside my torso so I had to do this while looking directly down. I play on Rift in a pretty cramped office/bedroom, so this is not a problem I've only had in Orbus, but it would have been much reduced if those forms spawned further forward, or if I could have moved to make them more accessible.

Then I got dumped into an area of inky blackness and watched a series of images through a faraway window while a Fantasy Old Guy reeled off a screed about bad magic while unironically using the word "thou" a lot. Then I was dropped into The Starter Area next to Tutorial NPC Guy, and given exciting quests like "dig up three plants", "nearly die to this tutorial enemy" and suchlike. Movement was extremely weird until I was able to dig into the configuration settings for it - like by default there is no way to turn except by physically rotating your body. I was able to set it up the way I like it (SkyrimVR style with smooth movement and snap turning) but ideally I should've been able to do that before becoming a bit confused. Fighting the tutorial enemy felt very weak, like I had to shoot it about ten times with a musket. If I was reading the health meters correctly he actually would have killed me first, but the game took pity and he died while still on like 25% health.

* Focus on improving those graphics for the players and human NPCs. The Mii-look is not a good one, and it's the first thing you see when you load the game.
* Allow players to set up their movement controls before they even log in, and force them to make those choices at the start of the game.
* Make combat a lot more punchy. I was presumably fighting a level 1 enemy in the tutorial - let me two or three-shot that sucker, maybe spawn a couple more. My attacks should feel impactful.
It's straight from mmo design school circa 2005 and someone read people's joke articles about having to hunt rats at level one and thought "This. This is the blandness I crave."

Movement controls defaulting to roomscale and then having to walk to the guy who teaches you how to open up your options menu to change it was a bold move. If they're going to force me to wave at npcs to get their attention they should make sure that it works first time, every time. It's the first interaction people have and colors the entire experience. Mine just opened the menu repeatedly until i found an option enabled in setup "trigger menu opening with lowering hand"

Having a big sign on the wall that says "hey this quest is kinda broken and it's a known issue, you might need to talk to him again and get quest2" on the literal second quest of the game, on a product that is 1.0 and $40? Shameful. I know standards are relaxed some because VR is new but it's been years now.

I'm not trying to completely slam the game like an rear end especially with a dev posting in here but tbh this feels like more of an itch.io experiment. But hey it's free weekend, try it yourself. It's only a 3g download. Just note when you register, which you can't do from inside the game, if your password is a long autogenerated one from a password manager, that you'll be typing that bad boy in, by hand, in vr with a virtual keyboard.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 20, 2018

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I've purchased about a dozen VR titles already but the Steam sale is a bit underwhelming. 25-40% off, not many dropping below previous sales. Just looking at some of the titles I've previously purchased:

SUPERHOT VR - Oculus: $9.99, Steam: $18.74
Job Simulator - Oculus: $17.99, Steam $17.99
I Expect You to Die - Oculus: $4.99, Steam: $19.99
Dreadhalls - Oculus: $4.99, Steam: $6.99

Most of the others aren't on sale, are the same price as when I bought them, or aren't comparable (exclusives).

OTOH, Batman: Arkham VR is $9.99 and Rick & Morty is $14.99, which is the lowest they've been but that's still more than they're worth. Sprint Vector was $14.99 several times in the last month but is selling for $20.99 now. Strange sale, probably won't grab anything new.

Edit - Oh, hey, Scanner Sombre is $2.49

Knight fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 20, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So I'm a couple hours into A Mage's Tale right now and man, I wish I had gotten into it back when this game was shiny and new. This is fantastic -- it's practically the first VR title I've played that feels like (almost) a full game. There's decent graphics, exploration and puzzle solving, AND a decent combat system, AND a crafting system that lets you personalize your spells, AND interesting NPCs to guide you through the story. All in all, it's about two-thirds of the way there -- I'd like an inventory, a slightly deeper spell crafting system, and some outdoor overworld locations, and then I'd think it could compere on features and depth with actual full-featured flatscreen RPGs.

I'm guessing the answer to "is there anything else like this?" is a hard no, cause I imagine I would have heard of it by now. Still, this is what I imagined when I thought of playing games in VR. I have Skyrim on deck for when I finish, hopefully it does a lot of the same things despite not being made for VR.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Obsurveyor posted:

Anyone have any game-ish ideas for VR cycling on a recumbent exercise bike? Looks like everything out there is closed source, proprietary stuff or just vaporware. I need something to ride in the winter and I want to explore some VR development soon. Going to figure out the Bluetooth protocol for the Schwin 270 and then play with some development. So far, I'm thinking of some kind of Tron light cycles style thing but I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Google maps street view VR with the ability to download and save routes locally

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Should I get audioshield or Box VR?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Bhodi posted:

It's straight from mmo design school circa 2005 and someone read people's joke articles about having to hunt rats at level one and thought "This. This is the blandness I crave."

Movement controls defaulting to roomscale and then having to walk to the guy who teaches you how to open up your options menu to change it was a bold move. If they're going to force me to wave at npcs to get their attention they should make sure that it works first time, every time. It's the first interaction people have and colors the entire experience. Mine just opened the menu repeatedly until i found an option enabled in setup "trigger menu opening with lowering hand"

Having a big sign on the wall that says "hey this quest is kinda broken and it's a known issue, you might need to talk to him again and get quest2" on the literal second quest of the game, on a product that is 1.0 and $40? Shameful. I know standards are relaxed some because VR is new but it's been years now.

Gort posted:

I really appreciate the feedback, and you're definitely right on the polish front. I think re: the movement we had teleport (which maybe the game doesn't tell you? if you thought you had to use roomscale) and not sliding by default due to concerns for VR sickness, but logging into the game and not knowing it's there or having to fiddle with the menu is a negative and it seems most players expect sliding nowadays.

That quest npc with the sign... the funny thing is it's the only quest in the whole game like that and we've had a hard time debugging it for some weird reason but yeah, that's not a great look. Going to focus on this in the coming days.

The critiques about the art style is definitely something we've heard although it's usually about the environment and we're in the process of a total 3d overhaul of the main towns of the game (like the starting village) so it looks better and more consistent. Like this is a very WIP preview of the new Highsteppe (starting hub) our level designer posted for feedback: https://gfycat.com/FreshBruisedCero

In terms of gameplay/quest design and how it's very "traditional" that's very fair, I can't really comment on it since it's deliberate choices by the directors. Personally, I wouldn't like it in a regular MMO these days but I think it works better in VR when everyone is helping each other constantly and it's very social. There's always someone to do quests or grind with you and I think that's the main reason it can work. We're mixing in modern stuff where we can, for example being able to level each class on the same character and getting exp bonuses for lower levels like in FFXIV, or not having mob tagging so people can work together for credit.

In case anyone is curious these are some of the major gameplay things we added since launch, in no particular order:

- 4 end game dungeons (the first end game grouping step outside world bosses in terms of progression)
- shard dungeon system, think similar to WoW mythic+ where you run scaled versions of each of the dungeons in the game with increasing difficulties and mutations for twists (our current hardest end game)
- talent trees. They're pretty simple for now, basically you pick 4 out of 8 talents, but they have some pretty big gameplay impact, for example the ranger choosing to shoot more slowly with a timing based component, or faster where they have to keep up the pace for the damage bonus
- fast travel for people who don't want to rely on or aren't able to cast spells
- pet breeding, which is our latest update and lets you create many variations of pet dragons with all kinds of colours and sizes. That one's really popular amongst new players haha.
- gear rerolling and upgrading, legendary weapons
- equipment dyes with both a main color and an accent color on each piece of armor

I'll pass on the feedback y'all have given me to the team and see what we can do to polish it further particularly. I appreciate it, knew you wouldn't mince words.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Consider Soundboxing as well. It's a hell of a flailing workout.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Obsurveyor posted:

For IRL locations:
Do you have a lot of money or think google would allow you access to their maps? https://developers.google.com/maps/gaming/
Want to do the same thing on the cheap, but more manually?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb0HnaYNUx4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVhM3IYMF8o

Once you deconstruct whatever protocol that allows bluetooth to make changes to your resistance and can detect speed and handlebar position, once you can plug that into unity/unreal and bike through an endless grid, adding terrain shouldn't be too hard whether auto-generated or manual. There are a lot of tutorials on it.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1444829628/drawandrace5

This guy makes simple racing games where you can turn a scanned drawing into 3d racetracks. I think it's be pretty neat if this or something similar worked in VR.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

nickhimself posted:

Google maps street view VR with the ability to download and save routes locally

I think I might be able to gin up a way to convert the data into movement input for Google Earth VR. I haven't tried Earth VR yet, so I don't know if it has routes or anything. It sucks that Bluetooth LE is such a pain in the rear end on Windows 10 because the APIs are in flux and they make you use UWP which is horrible.

Bhodi posted:

Once you deconstruct whatever protocol that allows bluetooth to make changes to your resistance and can detect speed and handlebar position, once you can plug that into unity/unreal and bike through an endless grid, adding terrain shouldn't be too hard whether auto-generated or manual. There are a lot of tutorials on it.

Yeah, haven't thought of a good way to do steering/leaning yet. The VirZoom guys say that turning real handlebars is scary when you're in VR(and the recumbent has fixed bars). It would be easy to hold controllers and pedal on a recumbent but maybe some kind of attachment.

Chop Sunni posted:

This guy makes simple racing games where you can turn a scanned drawing into 3d racetracks. I think it's be pretty neat if this or something similar worked in VR.

Yeah, I think I have a thing that generates roads based on open street maps. It allows splines too, so theoretically a user could sketch out their own death track and then ride it. That sounds like a fun thing to mess with.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

BoxVR

It’s a better workout, and it’s beatmaps are fantastic as hell. Best game.

Soundboxing is good. But requires people to make maps. Audio shield is cool. I’d just recommend box over most the music games right now.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Daynab posted:

I really appreciate the feedback, and you're definitely right on the polish front. I think re: the movement we had teleport (which maybe the game doesn't tell you? if you thought you had to use roomscale) and not sliding by default due to concerns for VR sickness, but logging into the game and not knowing it's there or having to fiddle with the menu is a negative and it seems most players expect sliding nowadays.

That quest npc with the sign... the funny thing is it's the only quest in the whole game like that and we've had a hard time debugging it for some weird reason but yeah, that's not a great look. Going to focus on this in the coming days.

The critiques about the art style is definitely something we've heard although it's usually about the environment and we're in the process of a total 3d overhaul of the main towns of the game (like the starting village) so it looks better and more consistent. Like this is a very WIP preview of the new Highsteppe (starting hub) our level designer posted for feedback: https://gfycat.com/FreshBruisedCero

In terms of gameplay/quest design and how it's very "traditional" that's very fair, I can't really comment on it since it's deliberate choices by the directors. Personally, I wouldn't like it in a regular MMO these days but I think it works better in VR when everyone is helping each other constantly and it's very social. There's always someone to do quests or grind with you and I think that's the main reason it can work. We're mixing in modern stuff where we can, for example being able to level each class on the same character and getting exp bonuses for lower levels like in FFXIV, or not having mob tagging so people can work together for credit.

In case anyone is curious these are some of the major gameplay things we added since launch, in no particular order:

- 4 end game dungeons (the first end game grouping step outside world bosses in terms of progression)
- shard dungeon system, think similar to WoW mythic+ where you run scaled versions of each of the dungeons in the game with increasing difficulties and mutations for twists (our current hardest end game)
- talent trees. They're pretty simple for now, basically you pick 4 out of 8 talents, but they have some pretty big gameplay impact, for example the ranger choosing to shoot more slowly with a timing based component, or faster where they have to keep up the pace for the damage bonus
- fast travel for people who don't want to rely on or aren't able to cast spells
- pet breeding, which is our latest update and lets you create many variations of pet dragons with all kinds of colours and sizes. That one's really popular amongst new players haha.
- gear rerolling and upgrading, legendary weapons
- equipment dyes with both a main color and an accent color on each piece of armor

I'll pass on the feedback y'all have given me to the team and see what we can do to polish it further particularly. I appreciate it, knew you wouldn't mince words.
There are TONS of small things you can do to transform it from "clunky" to "quaint" but none of them are any of the above things you added and I think you're looking at the wrong scale for the real problems of this game. If you haven't, you really need to sit in a room and watch people try it for the first time because the game feels like it was designed in a bubble. Having played it for ~30 mins last night, here's a small list of things I ran into, just from memory. Note these are all things I ran into in the first 10m of playing the game and cumulatively made me not to wish to continue
  • defaults to no turning in a game where many people have forward-only setups, snap turning should be the default
  • improve waving mechanic, don't know what you use to detect this but it's real bad for me. I'd prefer point and push A, waving feels tacked on in a "heyyy see how we're in VR???" way and afiak is the only gesture interaction
  • Opening the menu with a gesture activates any time you bring your hand down (from, say, hitting the continue button on text activation or trying to wave at someone). This needs to be off by default.
  • "Continue" buttons of floating text activation detection is too shallow; if you sweep your finger through it too fast it doesn't register. This goes for almost all menu interactions
  • Same goes for grabbing things like your journal; the allowed grab area is very shallow and finicky
  • instructions need to be clearer how to equip things, it says to equip without explaining - you first have to push the item box like a button to make it highlight and then push the box where it goes. Grab and drag seems like it would be a better / alternative way you might want to add and what I immediately tried to do before I started poking boxes
  • inventory/equip screen needs additional indicators of what item is allowed in what box. Available boxes for equipping selected item should highlight themselves or some other appropriate feedback. if you put in the 'wrong' box it does equip but then immediately de-equips which is even more confusing than if it didn't do anything.
  • compass FILLED with arrows, so much so that it's impossible to find a compass direction or anything of relevance (make compass directions different color or larger arrows, reduce arrows to quest waypoints and nearest 3-4 locations. Main quest could be a gold arrow, basically give it some usability)
  • the stairs "teleport" is disorienting regardless of which movement method you use. Even if it's a quarter-second quick sprint-shift to the new location it would be an extreme improvement on the insta-blink
You're talking about stuff like end-game and fast travel but what you really need is to do another pass on your usability and basic mechanics. There are a million more things I could note. This is entirely aside from the 'monsters spawn in front of you and then stand in a field and wait for you' mmo mechanics and stale fetch quests which I'm not even going to address, and graphics and Mii stuff which are kind of a personal preference and it's far too late in the game development to change at this point anyway. But that begs specific comparisons; If it felt anywhere near as good to play as say, rec room, I wouldn't care a whit about the graphics. Rec room feels fantastic and your game... doesn't.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 20, 2018

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I was turned off by the RecRoom/Mii avatars and never recovered enough to get past it.

And I have an active FFXI account...

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Daynab posted:

You need to focus more on your core. Nobody will care about all the fancy dungeons and talent trees and equipment dyes and all that jazz if the core isn’t fun and satisfying to play. Your design is far too top-down, it needs to be more bottom-up. What are your design pillars for the game? What experiences is your game trying to elicit? How do your mechanics support all of those?

Why do you guys go with a "traditional" quest system? What purpose does it fill? Player are bored of that stuff, and generally won't play it for long when they can find it (or something better) in almost every other MMO out there. It being VR is no excuse for lazy game design, think “would this be fun outside of VR?” and if the answer is “no” then don’t include it. It doesn’t matter if there’s “always something to do” if that “something” isn’t fun on its own.

e:Apologies if I’m coming off harsh, but I’m a game designer and it’s a pet peeve of mine to see developers falling into traps like these. You’re basically doing what every crummy company tried to do riding the coattails of WoW’s success, which is shell out a game hoping that just because it features mechanics that another popular game does that it’ll be a success, with maybe one or two gimmicks thrown in.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 20, 2018

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Anton has said it will not be on sale while it's in early access. I don't know how much longer he's discussed it being in early access.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

GutBomb posted:

WMR doesn't have asynchronous reprojection like oculus does. When the frame rate dips it really dips and nothing kicks in to compensate (or if it does, I didn't notice) so while the visuals were very slightly sharper, it was noticably choppier, and this is with a 1080ti and 7700k.

Get the SteamVR Beta, and the WMR Steam integration Beta. They just added reprojection in one or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Obsurveyor posted:

I think I might be able to gin up a way to convert the data into movement input for Google Earth VR. I haven't tried Earth VR yet, so I don't know if it has routes or anything. It sucks that Bluetooth LE is such a pain in the rear end on Windows 10 because the APIs are in flux and they make you use UWP which is horrible.

Yeah, haven't thought of a good way to do steering/leaning yet. The VirZoom guys say that turning real handlebars is scary when you're in VR(and the recumbent has fixed bars). It would be easy to hold controllers and pedal on a recumbent but maybe some kind of attachment.

Yeah, I think I have a thing that generates roads based on open street maps. It allows splines too, so theoretically a user could sketch out their own death track and then ride it. That sounds like a fun thing to mess with.
I don't even think steering is necessary, even something that's as basic as 'you move as fast as you pedal in a straight line with no hills' and has no resistance feedback would be fine if there were interesting enough things to look at. Although I'm not sure what it brings to the table over, say, just watching netflix on a screen in front of you. Hard to say until you work up a minimum viable product test.