Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

I mean to get back to it but I found it very frustrating if you make the smallest mistake. Especially if you fail a scene and have to go back a couple rooms or whatever (maybe that's just the tutorial?)
Nah, that's how it is the whole way through story mode, non-VR Superhot is the same way. The intention is that you loop it so many times that by the end you're just Neoing that poo poo and doing it without thinking, but I can see how it would be frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

homeless snail posted:

Nah, that's how it is the whole way through story mode, non-VR Superhot is the same way. The intention is that you loop it so many times that by the end you're just Neoing that poo poo and doing it without thinking, but I can see how it would be frustrating.
The problem seems amplified to me in VR, like anything that loops and forces you to do anything is almost worse cause of being like wearing all the gear and what not? If that makes any sense.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Yeah that just wasn't fun to me at all. It felt artificially difficult expressly for the purpose of making your action sequence look pretty cool but I'm not interested in that at all.

It reminded me a lot of old FPS games on their most difficult setting which often just meant the enemies had 100% perfect head shot aim the entire time and would react just fast enough to punish you for not knowing exactly where they were standing so you could pre-aim and fire the instant you peeked from cover. It's doable once you've memorized every enemy location and don't miss a shot, but that's not my idea of fun.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I enjoyed Superhot VR a lot, but the lack of content is just really rough to me. I beat the game and played quite a few challenge levels in less than 2 hours, and it was my first VR shooter. I just don’t think there’s enough content in it to really warrant the price, unless you really really love time trials and replaying the same content a lot.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

nickhimself posted:

Yeah that just wasn't fun to me at all. It felt artificially difficult expressly for the purpose of making your action sequence look pretty cool but I'm not interested in that at all.

It reminded me a lot of old FPS games on their most difficult setting which often just meant the enemies had 100% perfect head shot aim the entire time and would react just fast enough to punish you for not knowing exactly where they were standing so you could pre-aim and fire the instant you peeked from cover. It's doable once you've memorized every enemy location and don't miss a shot, but that's not my idea of fun.

I recently finally finished superhotvr. My first play I was new to Vr and struggled. My recent play after a year of Vr I basically cruise controlled through the rest of it.

Needs more content though.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I think comparing or even thinking of superhot as an FPS game is maybe part of the problem some might have, or at least the expectations they have. Its not in any way an FPS, at all, its not even an action game really, its almost on the verge of being a turn based strategy game. I mean every last shot, carefully lined up with where you think they should be, looking at everything around before pulling a trigger or throwing, knowing what objects are in the air in your direction, and just planning things out.

I mean I know some people speedrun through that and it basically becomes one, but for me its just as slow as can be and every last movement precisely thought out.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I really like throwing stuff in VR with the "grip to pick up then throw and release grip" method but it seems like no games I've tried actually let you do this with knives or spears in combat, just random background junk. Is there anything that fits the bill?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tom Guycot posted:

I think comparing or even thinking of superhot as an FPS game is maybe part of the problem some might have, or at least the expectations they have. Its not in any way an FPS, at all, its not even an action game really, its almost on the verge of being a turn based strategy game. I mean every last shot, carefully lined up with where you think they should be, looking at everything around before pulling a trigger or throwing, knowing what objects are in the air in your direction, and just planning things out.

I mean I know some people speedrun through that and it basically becomes one, but for me its just as slow as can be and every last movement precisely thought out.

Superhot has always been a puzzle game, SuperhotVR is a very physical puzzle game in which your limbs and head are your pieces you have to needle the thread to specific places, i.e., fist to face before a bullet at your 7 o'clock hits.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I really like throwing stuff in VR with the "grip to pick up then throw and release grip" method but it seems like no games I've tried actually let you do this with knives or spears in combat, just random background junk. Is there anything that fits the bill?

GORN has throwing knives for your wrist, I haven't tried spear throwing. H3VR is pretty fun for tossing grenades during Take & Hold. Sairento has a fuckin' glaive

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I've tried spear throwing in Gorn but idk if its really possible because of the way two handed weapons work in that game. The spear destroys poo poo as a stabbing weapon though, if you are good at aiming at the heart. Throwing one handed swords and axes however? Very doable.

You can throw all kinds of poo poo in Superhot also but it feels weird.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I finally killed the big giant dude in gorn and unlocked the wrist crossbow last night. That thing is so much fun.

I beat him by knocking his axe out of his hand picking it up and decapitating him. :feelsgood:

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Superhotvr felt less impressive to me than I wanted it to be but I'm having a bunch of people over tonight to try vr for the first time and it's absolutely one of the games I'm highlighting for them. It covers that immediate need to be a slow motion badass with minimal controls to get used to which makes it an appealing vr newbie friendly game

I wish I could introduce them to sairento for that itch but i don't want to clean up puke from my floors

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Superhot VR became a lot less frustrating once I figured out I could knock bullets out of the air using the gun in my hand.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

nickhimself posted:

I must be one of the only people who really didn't find Superhot very enjoyable.
It's a brief, uninspired wave shooter. The only thing it has going for it is a single gimmick, and the novelty wears off fast. :shrug:

The best thing about superhot VR is that you can see and do everything the game has to offer without exceeding the refund window, even when you have to replay the same scene five times because the AI wigged out and hid somewhere unreachable. I'm not sure why they even used AI; the player can't move, everything always spawns in the same place, and they don't react intelligently to your actions, so a 100% scripted approach would actually have worked way better.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ralith posted:

It's a brief, uninspired wave shooter. The only thing it has going for it is a single gimmick, and the novelty wears off fast. :shrug:

It's the most innovative shooter I've played in years!

For real I don't know what people are talking about, the game is great and not frustrating. If they made 400 hours of completely new levels I'd be compelled to play and enjoy them all.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lowen SoDium posted:

Holy poo poo! I just looked thing song up and the way they worked the dance in to the saber moves is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTyDubu8VYs for anyone who hasn't seen it.

I'm glad I clicked on this link.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

the game is great and not frustrating. If they made 400 hours of completely new levels I'd be compelled to play and enjoy them all.

same, it's good fun

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Holy poo poo! I just looked thing song up and the way they worked the dance in to the saber moves is incredible.

That's genius.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Speaking of racing games, how is RedOut? Both in-general and in VR.

I enjoyed it. People like to say it is a cross between Wipeout and F-Zero, but I don't know about that. I guess they mainly say that because the ships are more floaty like Wipeout and don't have the super tight handling of F-Zero, but it isn't really like either. It is actually physics based and you can do things like tilt your pitch up or down to control speed and elevation (you have to pitch up on big slopes or else your nose will hit and you will lose speed).

It is also a pure racer. There aren't any weapons or combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g0rfeZ5qcM

I found the VR version kind of neat. You can judge distance more accurately so I actually found it easier inside VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i-awDHwLhw&t=185s

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lowen SoDium posted:

Headset Views. Gross. (Side rant. If you're streaming/recording content for this game. Do LIV ffs. Its not hard. Get a screen, stop being lazy.)

Really though. Maps are getting insane good. Theres SO much good content now I basically only play customs at this point. God they are getting so good.

Sex Robot posted:

That's genius.

Its CRAZY good. You cant tell since he potato recorded it. But you legit can do most of the dances from the videos. Its fantastic.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 26, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

EbolaIvory posted:

Headset Views. Gross. (Side rant. If you're streaming/recording content for this game. Do LIV ffs. Its not hard. Get a screen, stop being lazy.)

Yes, set up a camera to record yourself, set up a green screen and broadcast yourself. Folks are real lazy if they just want to quickly show a song.

We talked a bit about this subject on the discord, but I actually despise mixed reality. I don't want to see a person moving. I want to see the game being played. I'm here for the gameplay, not the person in the way. I will at least agree that it's better than a facecam, since it at least inserts the subject into the game proper, but it's still not as great as either a dedicated spectator camera (Job Simulator probably did it best), first person or simply a third person view.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yes, set up a camera to record yourself, set up a green screen and broadcast yourself. Folks are real lazy if they just want to quickly show a song.

Yup. Going to jump in the big wide world of VR streaming/recording you might consider perspectives and poo poo. Headset views are trash for music games. More so ones when you're moving around, shaking your butt.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

We talked a bit about this subject on the discord, but I actually despise mixed reality. I don't want to see a person moving. I want to see the game being played. I'm here for the gameplay, not the person in the way. I will at least agree that it's better than a facecam, since it at least inserts the subject into the game proper, but it's still not as great as either a dedicated spectator camera (Job Simulator probably did it best), first person or simply a third person view.

Some games I agree. Music games, watching someones head bobbing around is sickening. People LIKE to see "how the persons" making those insane moves, etc. How you cannot enjoy that, is beyond me.

Also, having a headset view "with" mixed reality, is kind of the way to do it. That way people can technically see the crazy mess of head wiggling but since its not the main focus people don't get sick watching it.

I seriously don't understand your opinion here. You're welcome to it. But you're for sure the minority.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It works well for certain use cases, I think Beat Saber is a particularly good one. You've got one direction where the action is, your body movements are really exaggerated so third person is really the only way to see it in its entirety, there's no locomotion so there's no strange movement, etc

When you have a lot of movement, important things are coming from different angles (some are behind the camera so they can't be seen), the person's body is disconnected from the avatar, etc, it's not so good. First person is pretty universally bad, though.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

It works well for certain use cases, I think Beat Saber is a particularly good one. You've got one direction where the action is, your body movements are really exaggerated so third person is really the only way to see it in its entirety, there's no locomotion so there's no strange movement, etc

When you have a lot of movement, important things are coming from different angles (some are behind the camera so they can't be seen), the person's body is disconnected from the avatar, etc, it's not so good. First person is pretty universally bad, though.

100% agreed. Music games work fantastic for it. Beat Saber, BoxVR, SoundBoxing, Audio Shield. ALL look fantastic in it. Something like Stand out? Naw, Main view needs to be headset, webcam view can be mixed if needed. Hell in that game I'm pretty against it myself. I wanna see whoevers hands and poo poo. not fake gloves and guns.

Then you have games coming out like Eye of the Temple, that are REALLY loving cool in mixed reality because its a static play space that you walk around in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8NUETwtnlU

Not a lot of content since the dev is asking most of the people playing it to not shove out a lot of content. Theres some gifs and such on twitter floating around. But its really really insane cool in mixed reality. Cannot wait to be able to show that one off. Its so freaking fun too. Wishlist that poo poo fam. It blows my mind everytime it gets booted up to test things. You lose yourself so fast its not even funny. Highly Highly recommend when it launches.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

nickhimself posted:

I must be one of the only people who really didn't find Superhot very enjoyable.
See, I'm the opposite - I'm one of the only people who really didn't find Robo Recall very enjoyable! Lol

Almost all the elements were there for a fantastic VR experience (amazing visual detail, close-quarters physics-based interactions with objects etc) but somehow... the experience as a whole didn't 'click' - I just didn't find it massively fun like everyone else seemed to.
It kind of felt like I was supposed to be doing Matrix-style moves and playing like a badass like you do in Superhot, but whilst that worked for me and was awesome in Superhot, in RR I just tended to get swamped with enemies and if I weren't invincible I would've just died. In fact I think the experience would have been far more satisfying for me if you could die - maybe RR needed that extra urgency and challenge, and the repetitive buildup of skill that comes with having to play each level multiple times before you succeed.

EbolaIvory posted:

Then you have games coming out like Eye of the Temple, that are REALLY loving cool in mixed reality because its a static play space that you walk around in.
Holy poo poo, this looks awesome. Thanks for posting.

There was a similar no-artificial-locomotion puzzler demo around in the early days of the consumer HMDs, I think it was called Thunderbird. Only twenty minutes of gameplay unfortunately.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

EbolaIvory posted:

Not a lot of content since the dev is asking most of the people playing it to not shove out a lot of content. Theres some gifs and such on twitter floating around. But its really really insane cool in mixed reality. Cannot wait to be able to show that one off. Its so freaking fun too. Wishlist that poo poo fam. It blows my mind everytime it gets booted up to test things. You lose yourself so fast its not even funny. Highly Highly recommend when it launches.

There was a great section in Arktica.1 like this where you're getting taken along in a conveyor belt through the level, having to physically move around to dodge laser and stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

All games really need as something standard is the spectator cam that Owlchemy Labs uses for their games; Spawn the camera, move it around to the best spot facing you/what's going on in-game, let your viewers watch from there.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
:siren: Rec Room Battle Royale is out :siren:

I really really like it. A lot. Combined with NaLo I am having an absolute blast. It definitely needs tweaks, this is an alpha after all, but it works pretty well and is really really fun. Plus the games are segregated. You cannot teleport in normal mode, you have to select a teleport only, so you don't have to deal with that nonsense in smooth locomotion rooms.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It needs a lot more polish but you can get into new games about 30 seconds after you die which is a massive plus and makes up for a lot of the problems

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Knifegrab posted:

:siren: Rec Room Battle Royale is out :siren:

I really really like it. A lot. Combined with NaLo I am having an absolute blast. It definitely needs tweaks, this is an alpha after all, but it works pretty well and is really really fun. Plus the games are segregated. You cannot teleport in normal mode, you have to select a teleport only, so you don't have to deal with that nonsense in smooth locomotion rooms.

I'm enjoying it, games go pretty fast and the mechanics are simple, even if I'm going to hear 12 year olds screaming TEAM TEAM WHO WANTS TO TEAM in my sleep

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Squashing Machine posted:

I'm enjoying it, games go pretty fast and the mechanics are simple, even if I'm going to hear 12 year olds screaming TEAM TEAM WHO WANTS TO TEAM in my sleep

Tell them you are reporting them (the devs said it's a bannable offense) and they may cry and beg you not to. Win win.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The Ultimate Sniper comes out on PSVR next week, is it any good on PC?

It looks neat and supports the Aim so I feel almost obligated to get it, but if it sucks for any particular reason I may give it a pass.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't care for The Ultimate Sniper, but the initial release wasn't even the full game. I dunno.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
As someone who has been kind of jaded and bored with vr the last few months, holy poo poo payday 2 is a good purchase and reminded me of just how awesome vr can be. Jumping into the passenger seat of a getaway vehicle and speeding off while firing an assault rifle at a barrel until it exploded and killed a bunch of dudes was worth the stomach churning of it all

There's a certain amount of natural roleplaying/immersion that new vr players always seem to act out when they first start out, and that eventually kind of subsides when they start seeing the tricks and window dressing in front of the game mechanics. Payday 2 brought me back to those first few days of being new to VR by making me think I was Val Kilmer and I applaud it for that

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Wow, Technolust 2 is looking pretty drat, well, pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqJSqt3enMs

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Squashing Machine posted:

Mute them then report them; they shouldn't be on the adult servers anyway and they will get kicked pretty quickly in my experience.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Knifegrab posted:

I don't know if I'm getting old or what but even with the deluxe audio strap the vive makes my face hurt after like an hour of play. Does anyone have a go to recommendation for foam or something to make it not such a pain or a bit more comfy? (Comedy option get a rift etc etc)

I tried this mod earlier this week and I've been pretty happy with it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

^^^ Thanks but some other older suggestions in the thread helped me a lot, basically I didn't have the back part low enough on my head.

Tom Guycot posted:

Wow, Technolust 2 is looking pretty drat, well, pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqJSqt3enMs

It looks pretty but boring. Like Elite Dangerous syndrome to the max. I have seen this game demo'd a bunch now but what the heck do you do?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If your face hurts, you're too old.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Knifegrab posted:

It looks pretty but boring. Like Elite Dangerous syndrome to the max. I have seen this game demo'd a bunch now but what the heck do you do?

You might be thinking of the "aircar" demo that was around a little while back which was similar. The first technolust was an adventure game, hacking terminals, solving some basic puzzles, some action segments (i'll give them a break on it being not too involved since it was after all a VR launch title in march of 2016), in a really, really atmospheric world.

I would assume the sequel will be the same, though this flying stuff is new to it (there was no vehicle stuff in the first), he's also showed off on foot sections of this new game as well. So, I mean, I'm going to guess it will still be an adventure game with action segments, and from the looks of it maybe you'll be playing as a cop this time, but beyond that, yeah I dont' really know what you're going to do.

I would be tickled pink if it ends up sort of open world and the flying stuff is the means of getting around or doing some missions, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Tom Guycot posted:

You might be thinking of the "aircar" demo that was around a little while back which was similar. The first technolust was an adventure game, hacking terminals, solving some basic puzzles, some action segments (i'll give them a break on it being not too involved since it was after all a VR launch title in march of 2016), in a really, really atmospheric world.

I would assume the sequel will be the same, though this flying stuff is new to it (there was no vehicle stuff in the first), he's also showed off on foot sections of this new game as well. So, I mean, I'm going to guess it will still be an adventure game with action segments, and from the looks of it maybe you'll be playing as a cop this time, but beyond that, yeah I dont' really know what you're going to do.

I would be tickled pink if it ends up sort of open world and the flying stuff is the means of getting around or doing some missions, but who knows.

You are totally right, whoops, I feel like the two do share some similarities but I am completely wrong, thanks for clearing it up, I'll keep my eye on it. I do worry that the graphics in that demo are too good, like 1080ti struggling good.