Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

Is there anything besides the Shooting Gallery in Dead and Buried that doesn't depend on multiplayer? I thought I'd at least get a couple wave shooter stages to play in singleplayer, but I didn't see anything. I waited around a couple minutes trying to get into a multiplayer match, then expanded the search to include Quickdraw mode and found a few people doing that, but after one of em practically aimbotted me for a couple rounds I gave up. I was hoping for more people still playing, since it's one of the pack-in games, and it seemed pretty neat from the tutorial bit I played.
What time were you playing? I'd be surprised if there weren't still a few people around in US prime times doing shootout. You're right to want to check it out, shootout is loving great fun, ducking all around your play area to use the cover and desperately lobbing dynamite over the bar tops while rounds are ricocheting all around. Man, I need to check it out again too lol.

Also there is single player for the hoard mode levels, though obviously they're a hell of a lot more fun with two or more. The Witch one is fantastic, almost feels/looks like a WOW dungeon boss or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Dongattack posted:

Ah okay.

Well, i found the warranty information and it says 12 months even tho i'm in the EU, so i think the warranty is out. Will they tell me what the repairs/replacement will cost and ask me to pay it before they start, or will they just fix it and send me the bill without any word?

I have never sent anything in for repairs before so i don't know how it works, and VR is fun and everything, but if it's gonna cost A LOT to get it up again i'd rather just bin it and wait for the tech to become better and cheaper.

Even though it says 12, they still have to honor 2 years in the EU, no?

quote:

The legal guarantee is valid for a period of two years throughout the EU. But there are certain conditions.

The legal guarantee covers any defects presumed to have existed at the time of delivery and which become apparent within a period of two years. However, the crucial time period here is the six months following purchase:

Any fault that appears within six months will be presumed to have existed at the time of delivery. The seller must then repair or replace your phone free of charge - or reimburse you if repairs or replacement are impossible.
After six months, you can still hold the seller responsible for any defects during the full two-year guarantee period. However, if the seller contests this, you must be able to prove that the defect existed at the time of delivery. This is often difficult, and you will probably have to involve a technical expert.

The key thing with most of this is that 2 year guarantee being about a defective product. You could take your chances with oculus, tell them it just stopped working and should get it replaced or repaired for free.

quote:

The guarantee your trader is referring to is the manufacturer's commercial guarantee for your computer. This has nothing to do with your legal guarantee, which is binding on the trader and lasts for two years.

If the trader agrees that your computer is faulty, they must repair or replace it free of charge. It is up to them to settle the matter with the manufacturer.

If you bought it from oculus they're also the trader in that case, but either way you're guaranteed a 2 year warranty for a defective product. If however they determine its not defective, they are in their rights to charge you for a repair/replacement, and I believe even may require you to pay after the fact for the shipping to have it checked out.

Still, what I would do in your shoes is contact oculus support, tell them one screen stopped working, never mention the drop, and see what they do. If they say anything about 12m warranty remind them of EU law and ask if you can speak to a supervisor. Oculus generally has a good track record with support though, so I think thats your best bet.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Yay, just got an email that Rick and Morty is on sale on Oculus. Time to use the credit from February.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Jesus christ Budget Cuts took a hard turn into surprisingly intense suddenly.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijkC9ntCAyQ

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Is that you? Because that was fuckin' hilarious

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Sadly no, the speed at which he can react to the different requests is just fantastic. No idea how he can stay in character without laughing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
H3VR's added a virtual stock system this week :allears:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeusBy6fUR0

He's also gotten a set of the v2 Knuckle Controlers, and they do look fantastic.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 23, 2018

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Lemming posted:

The problem with Valve is that because of their virtual monopoly with Steam, they can actually afford to gently caress around and not do anything. Nothing they do in VR will make them anywhere near the cash Steam does, so the only motivation they have is "I feel like making it." That's why they half rear end and give up on stuff so easily.

As far as I'm concerned it's only real once it's shipped.

Exactly. gently caress VALVE. I'm still waiting for ASW.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I would be very surprised if Valve continues to release its new hardware via HTC. I think the fact that the Vive Pro only changed the color of the controllers is an indication they are essentially cut off now. I feel pretty confident that they are going to be selling things directly soon in a way similar to the steam link and steam controller.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I would be very surprised if Valve continues to release its new hardware via HTC. I think the fact that the Vive Pro only changed the color of the controllers is an indication they are essentially cut off now. I feel pretty confident that they are going to be selling things directly soon in a way similar to the steam link and steam controller.

Given that the new prototypes are looking feature-complete (rather than rough testing builds) and have no mention of HTC being involved, I'd be inclined to agree.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Yeah the Glitch Mob show is really good. Everyone should check it out while people are still going. Or just check out TheWave VR if you haven't. It's one of the coolest uses of VR yet.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'm looking at buying a VR headset, but wanted to make sure I was making a smart purchase before committing. It looks like the Rift is the less expensive between it and the Vive, with easier set up as well. The Rift also seems to still have regular chatter about it, while the Vive doesn't seem nearly as in the public eye. Is there a reason to consider a Vive over the Rift, because the internet is not giving me any good examples of why I would.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The logistics of running USB across your room can be a pain in the rear end, but Rift is likely the better call. If you could get a Vice with the audio strap at a comparable price I might say go with that, but the touch controllers are pretty great and not so we not have those knucks yet. October needs to hurry up.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Warbird posted:

The logistics of running USB across your room can be a pain in the rear end, but Rift is likely the better call. If you could get a Vice with the audio strap at a comparable price I might say go with that, but the touch controllers are pretty great and not so we not have those knucks yet. October needs to hurry up.

The Rift sensors have to be tethered?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

The Rift sensors have to be tethered?

Yes, preferably usb3 as well.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Lighthouses are legit the better tracking solution in pretty much every way. That being said, it doesn’t make up for the price difference or the wand vs touch gap. Nothing wrong with the wands mind you, touch is just better.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Warbird posted:

Lighthouses are legit the better tracking solution in pretty much every way. That being said, it doesn’t make up for the price difference or the wand vs touch gap. Nothing wrong with the wands mind you, touch is just better.

It's so annoying that the headsets themselves are both fine and the main sticking points are those adjacent factors - the controllers and the tracking most importantly.

Some folks (Thankfully, not many here) just can't seem to fathom that hey, 3 USB slots, let alone USB 3.0 dedicated to the Rift alone might just not be doable for some people, and the Vive's need for just one is that much of a selling point. Or the untethered tracking. If it was more than one USB, I'd have to unplug my VR setup if I wanted to do anything else, and would be unable to say, use a joystick or a racing wheel. And that minor bit of setup or hassle with a USB hub can be enough to deter just popping the headset on and playing away.

Genuinely can't wait for Gen 2 to just be good all round out of the box.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Genuinely can't wait for Gen 2 to just be good all round out of the box.

I do think we can expect to, finally, see a Vive or Steam Gen-2 headset either announced at the end of this year or early next. There's enough individual new upgrades floating around (foveated rendering, improved display fidelity, knuckle controllers, Mk.2 Lighthouses) that there almost certainly has to be a barebones prototype sitting in an HTC or Steam dev lab somewhere, even if it's someone's pet project.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Knuckle controllers released by the end of the year, at least (:pray:).

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Consider Windows Mixed Reality. Headsets run $200 on sale. Motion tracking gets a little wonky when you try throwing things but otherwise I love it.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Cinara posted:

Sadly no, the speed at which he can react to the different requests is just fantastic. No idea how he can stay in character without laughing.

The best part was easily him convincing the guy he spoke Spanish by saying:

"Espanol? Si, Español."

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
So Vive owners.

Which VRCover did you go with? 6mm fake leather? 14mm Fake leather thing? or 10mm memory foam?

I'm conflicted. I need to order a new rift one and like my fake leather, But gonna need one for the vive showing up. I feel like the 14mm fake leather would be the tits but I could also be wrong. Memory foams gotta be hot as gently caress right?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
6mm fake leather all the way. I tried them all on once and then stuck with this one forever, can't go without it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

6mm fake leather all the way. I tried them all on once and then stuck with this one forever, can't go without it.

Oh I'm going leather for my rift (already have 2 actually, wore the gently caress out), But the vive ones theres a choice in sizes for the leather and I'm thinking the extra comfy one might be nice. Vive ones seem to differ a bit. Also, You picked up a vive?

*I have the giant stupid kit for the rift, leather or die on it*

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

Oh I'm going leather for my rift (already have 2 actually, wore the gently caress out), But the vive ones theres a choice in sizes for the leather and I'm thinking the extra comfy one might be nice. Vive ones seem to differ a bit. Also, You picked up a vive?

*I have the giant stupid kit for the rift, leather or die on it*

Whoops missed that. I’ve got the big kit too and it had two sizes of leather, been rocking the thin since I finished trying all of them out on the first day, which has been, christ, more than a year now?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

Whoops missed that. I’ve got the big kit too and it had two sizes of leather, been rocking the thin since I finished trying all of them out on the first day, which has been, christ, more than a year now?

I’m shocked you haven’t killed a leather one yet. I 100% destroyed one of them, and the other is starting to not wanna stick to the Velcro anymore. So insanely hard on this poor rift.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Are you guys talking about this thing? Is it much more comfortable than the default foam?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
You can basically cure the samsung odyssey discomfort problem with a vive vrcover. Mine's completely fine now with a cheap chinese one off of ebay.

Keep wondering whether to get a cheap vive from there and try using it to track controllers better when using the odyssey. Could end up as a complete vive pro for the same price as that headset on its own. Looks like it would be a real pain to set up every time I want to use roomscale though.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Carly and the reaperman is one of the best coop games I've played. It really leans into the asymmetrical aspect, good communication is essential. If you have a local coop partner pick it up asap.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Dongattack posted:

Put it on a card? I don't know what that means. I'm in the EU, is it a US thing?

Check your contents insurance - if you're covered for accidental damage and don't mind taking a hit on next year's renewal, do that.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Gort posted:

Are you guys talking about this thing? Is it much more comfortable than the default foam?
I got the standard set which includes a linen cover for it, which feels much more comfortable and soft than the regular foam.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 23, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does the Odyssey ever go on sale for under $500 anywhere? I'll be in the US in September and would pick one up unless someone else gets their heads out of their asses by then.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Even used, they go for north of 300 dollars on ebay. I search around every once in a while and it never seems to go on sale. It makes sense since the Odyssey has the best screen and is already the lowest priced device with that screen.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eGFeD0n6ao

Unironically the most accurate VR depiction I've ever seen on TV.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Does the Odyssey ever go on sale for under $500 anywhere? I'll be in the US in September and would pick one up unless someone else gets their heads out of their asses by then.

Samsung direct regularly puts it on sale for $400 if you have someone you can ship it to.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
FYI, oculus still doesn’t sell replacement touch wrist straps but a wii wrist strap paired with a mechanical pencil eraser is a good replacement when your toddler or cat makes off with your legit one.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I bought Arizona Sunshine during the sale and it looks like the trigger buttons on my vive controllers aren't working in game? I'm unable to pick anything up in the main menu to even start. I can teleport just fine and every other game works as expected. Is anyone else experiencing this?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Everyone will disagree with me but screw it. The analogue sticks on the new Knuckles are a step backwards and an admission of defeat against people who wish they were holding a gamepad instead of trying to explore intuitive game interfaces. Having to hold a stick and think about a stick is a continual sabotage to the illusion of disbelief - it has no immersive metaphor in any game except maybe one where you're piloting a mech and have a hat switch. A touchpad isn't a physical thing in the world either but it's smooth and featureless and hides itself into the game better, and can be adapted to represent many things. After having gotten over the (notable) learning curve of the steam controller I realise the strong value of trackpads as a gaming interface.

Having A/B buttons on the new knuckles is bad enough but the stick is a disgrace. I don't have strong hopes for the thin thumb groove, but will reserve judgement until I play with it.

What does have me interested is those squeeze sensors, as well as the long-anticipated functionality of opening/closing your hand without dropping the controller. These will allow for deeper intuitive interactions that will allow for complex gameplay with a minimum of button usage. They represent the exploration of user presence and interaction in VR games that should not be compromised imo. But let's see if any devs think about fundamental user interactions from the early stages of their games (like Stress Level Zero, Owlchemy etc did in the early days) and actually make use of the new sensors. Or alternatively if every game just maps movement to stick and interactions to buttons and I'll just walk around like I'm holding a gamepad at all times.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AgentF posted:

Everyone will disagree with me but screw it. The analogue sticks on the new Knuckles are a step backwards and an admission of defeat against people who wish they were holding a gamepad instead of trying to explore intuitive game interfaces. Having to hold a stick and think about a stick is a continual sabotage to the illusion of disbelief - it has no immersive metaphor in any game except maybe one where you're piloting a mech and have a hat switch. A touchpad isn't a physical thing in the world either but it's smooth and featureless and hides itself into the game better, and can be adapted to represent many things. After having gotten over the (notable) learning curve of the steam controller I realise the strong value of trackpads as a gaming interface.

The fundamental problem is the trackpads on the Vive are awful for movement compared to a thumbstick. Having a thumbstick and the thumbgroove is the best outcome possible because it's the best of both worlds. A/B Buttons are also important as hell, because it makes it markedly easier for developers to port their games from Oculus to Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, seriously, as a standing non-mobile setup person, the stick is a godsend for navigating around. There's no way I'd want a VR controller without one.

The latest H3VR update is super rad with the virtual stock! I just want new things to shoot at, I'm a little done with Take & Hold and everything else but something new should be coming soon.