Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Enos Cabell posted:

You should check out Sound Boxing too, it's not as good as Beat Saber but sounds like you'd dig it.

Disagree. Was a big fan, playing it now though is laughable. It’s sooo janky.

Boxvr and audioshield have some polish, but honestly Stick with saber right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Green Puddin posted:

I loved rhythm games when I was a kid like DDR and Guitar Hero, instead of them being a "thing" here in the States like in Japan it was just a passing fad unfortunately.

Beat Saber is amazing! Are there any other games like this?

Theres Rock Band VR, though you need the plastic guitar and adapter for the touch controller (the touch controller attaches to the guitar so its tracked in the game) if you don't already have those.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I actually laughed at how bad that trailer does at selling the game.

"people look so cool when they're playing VR" said no one ever.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

NRVNQSR posted:

As long as you don't hate Jpop and Jpop-adjacent music Airtone is very polished and has smart, professionally-authored beatmaps; it also has way more interesting and colorful background visuals. Its main downside is that it only has 25 songs x 3 difficulties and no mechanism for custom songs. It does also have an excitable anime lady but you can turn her off in the options.

Beat Saber for me has been a big mix of J Pop and normie songs so I think I'll try this out. Thanks!

edit

Boxman posted:

I fully realize how goofy I look with my VR set up especially now with a weighted vest on for Beat Saber, makes me wonder if someone will find me dead with all the equipment on me in my apartment someday.

Green Puddin fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 21, 2018

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Boxman posted:

"Honest VR Trailers" would be a pretty amazing Youtube gimmick account.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

SimonChris posted:

I wish there was a way to play Elite offline and use cheats to get all the ships. I would love to try out all the various ships, but I don't want to actually play the game.

You can definitely play it solo, and there's a lot less risk compared to playing online. But yeah, I don't think there are any cheats. A true sandbox mode without any saving/persistence would not be remiss in a big sandbox game like Elite.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Green Puddin posted:

I loved rhythm games when I was a kid like DDR and Guitar Hero, instead of them being a "thing" here in the States like in Japan it was just a passing fad unfortunately.

Thumper might be worth a look too, it's unique but cool

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Green Puddin posted:

Audioshield doesn't have custom made tracks or as crisp controls as the rest...

But it will make a playable track out of any thing you have, including youtube videos and 90s ska mp3s. That's pretty rad.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My new video card showed up today, so now I'm the degenerate with two working VR setups in his house. At least my wife won't be kicking me off my gaming rig any longer when she wants to Saber some Beats.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

I'm enjoying the hell out of my new Vive Pro, and I want to get myself some proper VR controllers. Am I correct in assuming that my only option are the incredibly sturdy, very highly-regarded official controllers? Are there any protective cases or steel armor plating that I can purchase to keep them from shattering in my hands the first time I use them?

I'm exaggerating obviously, but from what I've read, these things really seem to break a lot and HTC's customer service and repair options don't seem very affordable or reliable. :ohdear:

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

RoboCop 3 posted:

I'm enjoying the hell out of my new Vive Pro, and I want to get myself some proper VR controllers. Am I correct in assuming that my only option are the incredibly sturdy, very highly-regarded official controllers? Are there any protective cases or steel armor plating that I can purchase to keep them from shattering in my hands the first time I use them?

I'm exaggerating obviously, but from what I've read, these things really seem to break a lot and HTC's customer service and repair options don't seem very affordable or reliable. :ohdear:

Get some silicone skins or something and be careful with them. One of my best saber buddies SkyKiwi had his Vive Pro full kit for about a month before his new 2.0 controllers started to have major issues with one of the trackpads.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New H3VR arena which lets you use all firearms in the new Sosig area is out. There goes my weekend.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

RoboCop 3 posted:

By all accounts the controllers are really sturdy from the perspective of being banged around, its more that theres just some design flaws that sometimes show up even when babied with the trackpad especially, but somewhat with the haptics as well. All you can really do is just try not to worry about it, and if one does fail, hopefully Knuckles will already be out.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

RoboCop 3 posted:

Buy a pair of spare controllers so when yours break you have a replacement ready. Seriously this is the only solution.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taintrunner posted:

New H3VR arena which lets you use all firearms in the new Sosig area is out. There goes my weekend.

Sairento's gotten a major graphical update for almost all the maps as well.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

I've abused the poo poo out of my of Vive controllers for years and they've stood up to slamming on walls, granite, and one one occasion, cat. (He's fine, just angry).

Most if the horror stories are about htc support, which is nigh non-existent, rather than the controllers themselves.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Green Puddin posted:

Sound boxing and Box VR are the only other games that are nearly as good as Beat Saber. The other game of the same genre that got a ton of traction is Audio Shield but IMO it's not nearly as good as the other 3. There's also holo dance and some other ones but IMO those 4 are by and away the best. Don't forget you can get them all on Steam and if you don't care for them then just refund.

Sound boxing is really good and was a pretty big deal until Beat Saber took up all of the music dancing space.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

Get some silicone skins or something and be careful with them. One of my best saber buddies SkyKiwi had his Vive Pro full kit for about a month before his new 2.0 controllers started to have major issues with one of the trackpads.

I still don’t get how he didn’t like the rift controllers. He’s such a madman.

Side note. He may be coming here soon for some video shooting. Maybe. Company’s a bit, shady seeming. Lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Audioshield doesn't have custom made tracks or as crisp controls as the rest...

But it will make a playable track out of any thing you have, including youtube videos and 90s ska mp3s. That's pretty rad.

They removed YouTube integration unfortunately

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

They removed YouTube integration unfortunately

What! Why!?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Copyright stuff I’m guessing.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think some Youtube update broke it and the game seems pretty abandoned so I'm not surprised that they didn't try to make it work again.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

For those who don't play all the time, do you guys leave your headset plugged in 24/7?

Taintrunner posted:

Just spent an hour playing just arena, it's so much fun.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

JayKay posted:

For those who don't play all the time, do you guys leave your headset plugged in 24/7?

I never bother to unplug it. I'm generally using it every day so, yeah it stays plugged in. I know the rift at least is slightly warm even when not in use, but thats apparently by design so you don't have to deal with fogging of the lenses every time you put it on.

Unrelated, but I saw this absolutely jaw dropping VR animated scene, all just painted by hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWNo1H2tVhg

Pretty mesmerizing. He also put a download link for the actual file there as well so you can check it out inside Quill.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just swap out the HDMI cables from my ultra wide to my Rift when I wanna jack in, everything else I leave hooked up

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I disconnect the monoculus rift and put it in a cloth bag because it is a priceless piece of electronics that needs to be preserved for future generations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope it's a crown royal bag.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

I know the rift at least is slightly warm even when not in use, but thats apparently by design so you don't have to deal with fogging of the lenses every time you put it on.

"poo poo, we still have some heat issues during idle" -Tech

"Wait, I got this" -Marketing

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Tom Guycot posted:

I never bother to unplug it. I'm generally using it every day so, yeah it stays plugged in. I know the rift at least is slightly warm even when not in use, but thats apparently by design so you don't have to deal with fogging of the lenses every time you put it on.

Unrelated, but I saw this absolutely jaw dropping VR animated scene, all just painted by hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWNo1H2tVhg

Pretty mesmerizing. He also put a download link for the actual file there as well so you can check it out inside Quill.

That's the coolest thing. Futurama 2.0

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hey guys so I did buy the Odyssey (399 for a refurbished off Amazon, just before they discounted the new ones of course...) and did get it to work on a Core-M3 7y30 tablet! Had to use a USB-C to HDMI & USB 3 dongle, a registry hack because it wouldn't launch with only 4GB of memory (a good idea, really), and crank up the TPD to 10 watts which makes the back red hot, but it works, so...

Cliffhouse is pretty smooth, the Asteroids video from the MS store works perfectly, the Burger Flip game from the same place runs fine (though I didn't really "play" it properly). Epic Roller Coaster from Steam runs but it's a slideshow.

Is there anything else free and undemanding of hardware? I want to show it off a bit now while travelling without dumping money into crap I'd never touch again once I get home. I thought Quake 1/2/3 would work but the ports seem to Oculus only? Or is there a way to get them working with WMR?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

JayKay posted:

I unplug for like a dozen reasons. But the biggest one is I use interface replacements that cover the light sensors which keeps the headset on (i do this on purpose, its annoying having it go to sleep on a break mid stream).

I also HATE that it could get moved, touched, and have oculus home go "HEY WHATS UP LETS VR BRO". Thats always fun.

I just unplug my vive out of habit. Lets me coil up the cord from across the room and hang it somewhere.

Cojawfee posted:

If its not, We should Riot.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

HJC helmet bag

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I unplug my Rift and put it in a drawer when I'm not using it. The HDMI and USB extension cords stay plugged into the computer, I loop them a couple times hang them on a small coathook I installed on the wall behind the case.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I use 3 ceiling hooks with retractable badge reels to suspend an extended cable along the ceiling. When I’m not playing I just hang the rift from one of the hooks.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

GutBomb posted:

I use 3 ceiling hooks with retractable badge reels to suspend an extended cable along the ceiling. When I’m not playing I just hang the rift from one of the hooks.

Have you secured it in such a way that it cannot come off the hook? I broke my Rift doing EXACTLY what you are doing. Got a new one eventually tho and two extra sensors out of it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The hook has a stop that closes all the way so it’s only coming out if it gets yanked on. Or if the hook falls out of the ceiling (but they are heavy duty anchored hooks)

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

GutBomb posted:

The hook has a stop that closes all the way so it’s only coming out if it gets yanked on. Or if the hook falls out of the ceiling (but they are heavy duty anchored hooks)

Good good, you're much smarter than me.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

I’ve been looking at some HMD stands on Amazon, but none of them look particularly sturdy. For now, I’m just setting it down on my desk when I’m not using it, which might not be the best idea.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

RoboCop 3 posted:

I’ve been looking at some HMD stands on Amazon, but none of them look particularly sturdy. For now, I’m just setting it down on my desk when I’m not using it, which might not be the best idea.

If you're not using a full sized mannequin for the HMD then I just don't think you're committed enough to VR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Are there any good two player games that aren't terribly difficult, and can be played without random pubs dropping in? My wife wants to play some multiplayer stuff with me, but she's not a gamer at all and gets too intimidated hopping into something like Rec Room.