Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
it's not really scary, it's atmospheric

there are some creepy elements and maybe like one or two fake jumpscares in entirety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Songbearer posted:

How Spooky is Scanner Sombre? I booted it up a while back and I was intrigued in it, but there's some interesting visuals and audio design I came across that I wasn't quite ready to experience so I've shelved it for a while. Is it a Scary Time or just atmospheric?

non-spoily answer: It's *mostly* just atmospheric

more specific: There is one jump scare towards the beginning with a loud noise and an echoed past image of a cultist on a suspended wooden bridge. He poses no actual threat. That's the only jump scare in the game - there are certainly areas later that are creepy but nothing jumps out at you. There's one swamp area that's a bit eerie and has invisible enemies that will kill you if you go in the water. That's about it. Mostly just atmospheric. Game feels melancholy more than terrifying

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Songbearer posted:

How Spooky is Scanner Sombre? I booted it up a while back and I was intrigued in it, but there's some interesting visuals and audio design I came across that I wasn't quite ready to experience so I've shelved it for a while. Is it a Scary Time or just atmospheric?

It's mostly an atmospheric walking sim, but there are sections where you are under threat. I think most people wouldn't count it as a particularly scary game outside of VR, but there are definitely elements in there for VR to magnify.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Skyarb posted:

Can someone help a humble boy who is bad at modding mod beatsaber. I just want the ability to get custom tracks as easily as possible. Does it have to be done out of game?

It’s insanely easy.
This installs everything, then you can download tracks while in game: https://github.com/Umbranoxio/BeatSaberModInstaller/releases
Lots of info at http://bsaber.com

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

Ask me about where to find fucking in the Bible!

wolrah posted:

They're just webcams, as long as you're not overloading the USB controller they won't gain anything from USB 3.

Oculus says that two would use up roughly 80% of the capacity of a single USB 2.0 controller, so just look up or test which ports on your motherboard go to which controller and think about what else might be sharing that bandwidth.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-balancing-bandwidth-on-usb/

Thanks for the info, that helps a lot. It looks like the 2 sensors aren't sharing the USB controller with anything else so I'll leave everything how it is.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The Walrus posted:

non-spoily answer: It's *mostly* just atmospheric

more specific: There is one jump scare towards the beginning with a loud noise and an echoed past image of a cultist on a suspended wooden bridge. He poses no actual threat. That's the only jump scare in the game - there are certainly areas later that are creepy but nothing jumps out at you. There's one swamp area that's a bit eerie and has invisible enemies that will kill you if you go in the water. That's about it. Mostly just atmospheric. Game feels melancholy more than terrifying

To elaborate on the spoiler here the jumpscare moment is pretty low impact as well because the loud noise is just more of a startling sound out of nowhere than your typical BOOGA BOOGA screech and nothing jumps out in your face or anything but does appear out of nowhere in the environment. It's pretty gentle as far as jumpscares go and everything else is just very atmospheric stuff, sometimes beautiful, sometimes spooky.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

After a bunch of shipping delays I finally got my Vive Wireless kit.

The setup is pretty optimal, I have a 6700k@4.5 and a 1080. The transmitter is mounted in one of the corners above a base station using a security camera mount I bought off ebay, has excellent coverage of my entire 4.5x4.5m area and I had to try really hard to get the quality to drop, literally crouching in a corner with my head down. I haven't noticed reduced performance, CPU usage is higher but there appears to be enough overhead to deal with it. I haven't tried any simulators, presumably they might not cope quite as well as they peg the CPU a little harder than the average VR game. People have reported problems with SkyrimVR, but even in cities I don't have any problems.

It's a big difference, not having to deal with a cable anymore. If this isn't standard by Gen 2 it's going to be difficult to upgrade.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 15, 2018

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

SwissCM posted:

The setup is pretty optimal, I have a 6700k@4.5 and a 1080. The transmitter is mounted in one of the corners above a base station using a security camera mount I bought off ebay, has excellent coverage of my entire 4.5x4.5m area and I had to try really hard to get the quality to drop, literally crouching in a corner with my head down. I haven't noticed reduced performance, CPU usage is higher but there appears to be enough overhead to deal with it. I haven't tried any simulators, presumably they might not cope quite as well as they peg the CPU a little harder than the average VR game. People have reported problems with SkyrimVR, but even in cities I don't have any problems.

It's a big difference, not having to deal with a cable anymore. If this isn't standard by Gen 2 it's going to be difficult to upgrade.

I have an almost identical setup, and the worst I get is the screen goes blue for a split second once or twice in an hour like it lost tracking. Well, except for the Institute in Fallout 4. I noticed framerates started dropping when I got in there (apparently the pancake version runs poorly there as well) and I finally started getting reduced quality. I'm talking the picture was very poorly compressed looking non-stop. But outside of that, the rest of the game seemed to run as fine as it did before and I never noticed any differences in quality. Probably going to plug back in for that portion.

But yeah, it makes a world of difference being able to walk around and rotate however many degrees you want in any direction without a care in the world. Makes me want to go back and replay a bunch of other titles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
To little surprise, Vacation Simulator's been delayed to 2019.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

GI_Clutch posted:

I have an almost identical setup, and the worst I get is the screen goes blue for a split second once or twice in an hour like it lost tracking. Well, except for the Institute in Fallout 4. I noticed framerates started dropping when I got in there (apparently the pancake version runs poorly there as well) and I finally started getting reduced quality. I'm talking the picture was very poorly compressed looking non-stop. But outside of that, the rest of the game seemed to run as fine as it did before and I never noticed any differences in quality. Probably going to plug back in for that portion.

FO4VR runs bad on anything and is a CPU hog, I uninstalled it after being fed up with it's poor performance and general shoddiness while I was still wired. SkyrimVR scratches the same itch, runs better and has more interesting VR mechanics (that still don't go nearly as far as I want but oh well).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To little surprise, Vacation Simulator's been delayed to 2019.

The devs probably went on holiday. Typical. :downsrim:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

SwissCM posted:

The setup is pretty optimal, I have a 6700k@4.5 and a 1080. The transmitter is mounted in one of the corners above a base station using a security camera mount I bought off ebay, has excellent coverage of my entire 4.5x4.5m area and I had to try really hard to get the quality to drop, literally crouching in a corner with my head down. I haven't noticed reduced performance, CPU usage is higher but there appears to be enough overhead to deal with it.

Thanks! I have an extremely similar setup 6700@4.4 (couldn't get stable at 4.5) and GTX 1080 with a roughly 4.4x4.1m playspace. I enjoyed the TPcast last Christmas but the green/blue lines and flaky software was incredibly frustrating. I might consider grabbing a wireless kit.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I haven't tried it yet but saw this on reddit, if you sign up for a free trial of viveport you can get 5 games for $1 each and then cancel:

Accounting
Superhot
Sairento
Arizona Sunshine
The Wizards

https://www.viveport.com/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
These would still work with WMR, right?

Protocol7 posted:

Oh my god. I encountered one of those floaty skeleton dudes in In Death. It scared the absolute poo poo out of me. I’ll try and upload a video since I was recording with OBS.

In Death is such a good game. My only complaint is a WMR thing in that when I get the controller close to my face it’s jittery. The crossbow seems much easier to use, but it seems to snap my left hand to the front of it at random.

Oooh, just got the crossbow and now I see what you meant. It's supposed to improve stability for aiming but it's kind of pointless since it's not like you can aim through the iron sights worth a drat.

When using the crossbow, do you lose the knife teleport thingy? I got the the end of second level without managing to use it once but then during the boss fight it sometimes popped up when I wanted to change arrow types and sometime it didn't and I died instantly :( Really a bummer since the actual level was pretty easy in comparison.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
When you use the crossbow the right touchpad is divided into top and bottom, top is teleport shard, bottom is arrow select

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I feel like the crossbow is way less stable for aiming, at least at full bow draw. Better for hip-firing though.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/google-vr-shoes-patent,news-28546.html

VR shoes are real! This is gonna be awesome. Nothing about whether you can run or sidestep though. Still, got to be better than most of the treadmill things.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Surprise Giraffe posted:

VR shoes are real! This is gonna be awesome. Nothing about whether you can run or sidestep though. Still, got to be better than most of the treadmill things.

It looks like the same thing as the Tested guys failed IndieGoGo.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/jamie-hyneman-s-virtual-reality-electric-shoes-vr#/

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Pro tip: fake moving with your feet in VR is worse than Joystick. There’s a reason Omni treads didn’t catch on, they suck and are ineffective

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Someone said the problem is that you're moving the ground along under your feet rather than moving your weight along over the ground. The muscles you use are all different and it feels weird. Like those cybershoes where you sit down and rub your feet along the carpet.

EDIT: Motorised shoes would work more like a running machine though, right? Might work better.

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 17, 2018

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Hey, are we still a year out from version 2.0 of VR headsets? Is there a good chance they will have eye tracking not just increased FOV/rez in gen 2?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

XtraSmiley posted:

Hey, are we still a year out from version 2.0 of VR headsets? Is there a good chance they will have eye tracking not just increased FOV/rez in gen 2?

Depends on what you mean by version 2.0. Eye tracking and foveated rendering is probably at least 3-4 years off because it works pretty well right now, but it needs to be rock solid for almost anyone. Stuff like Pimax is starting to trickle out which is higher FOV/resolution, but the benefits are not necessarily "must haves."

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Oculus' Half Dome prototype device is what the 2nd gen of VR will most likely be like, but yeah, eye tracking is absolutely required for that and it is still a year or two away. People found an Oculus patent recently that shows that they are doing 3D eye mapping for their tracking, sort of like what Apple does for their FaceID stuff, which is pretty cool. It is more reliable than image based techniques and a final solution will probably involve multiple pieces of tech working together, like 2D image processing with 3D scans.

But it is still probably 2 years out, so you might consider jumping in on this generation or waiting for a half-gen improvement like what the Oculus Rift S might be.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Echo Combat kicks rear end btw

Here's a match between my team and some other good players, ended up super close

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/336517064

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nalin posted:

Oculus' Half Dome prototype device is what the 2nd gen of VR will most likely be like, but yeah, eye tracking is absolutely required for that and it is still a year or two away. People found an Oculus patent recently that shows that they are doing 3D eye mapping for their tracking, sort of like what Apple does for their FaceID stuff, which is pretty cool. It is more reliable than image based techniques and a final solution will probably involve multiple pieces of tech working together, like 2D image processing with 3D scans.

But it is still probably 2 years out, so you might consider jumping in on this generation or waiting for a half-gen improvement like what the Oculus Rift S might be.

Oculus have said the Half-Dome's not going anywhere near a retail release. All that's officially shelved for the Quest and the Rift S.

What you need to keep an eye on are those Valve headset leaks, given the size of the lenses in those things if they're real.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I'm not convinced there's ever going to be a clearly differentiated "gen 2" of headsets. I think we're just going to see a steady rate of incrementally improving headsets for a while, especially now that Half Dome is dead in the water. The problem with eye tracking is a chicken-and-egg one; as long as no headsets have it there's no motivation for games to implement the rendering for it, and as long as there are no games taking advantage of it it's a waste of money to put it in a headset. I don't think it's going to happen without a market leader who can take a loss and put it in half the headsets on the market - though who knows, in a couple of years MS might be just that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NRVNQSR posted:

I'm not convinced there's ever going to be a clearly differentiated "gen 2" of headsets. I think we're just going to see a steady rate of incrementally improving headsets for a while, especially now that Half Dome is dead in the water. The problem with eye tracking is a chicken-and-egg one; as long as no headsets have it there's no motivation for games to implement the rendering for it, and as long as there are no games taking advantage of it it's a waste of money to put it in a headset. I don't think it's going to happen without a market leader who can take a loss and put it in half the headsets on the market - though who knows, in a couple of years MS might be just that.

Eye-tracking isn't a game mechanic. Foveated rendering massively cuts down the requirements for VR, because it only has to fully-render whatever your eyes are looking at instead of the entire image.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oculus have said the Half-Dome's not going anywhere near a retail release. All that's officially shelved for the Quest and the Rift S.

What you need to keep an eye on are those Valve headset leaks, given the size of the lenses in those things if they're real.

They said it wasn't coming any time soon. I don't think 2 years is "soon", so that could still apply. I think we'll know more around March-May as that is typically around the time Oculus launches new product. When the Quest launches then, we might get more information on the future of the platform.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nalin posted:

They said it wasn't coming any time soon. I don't think 2 years is "soon", so that could still apply. I think we'll know more around March-May as that is typically around the time Oculus launches new product. When the Quest launches then, we might get more information on the future of the platform.

Nope, it's done. You're getting a slightly-newer Oculus Rift S with inside-out tracking.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I finally decided to bite the bullet and get a headset. There are some cheap PSVR bundles for Black Friday. I have the bundle with Moss and Astro Bot on the way, as well as a set of move controllers (the sale hasn't started yet but Best Buy honors price reductions on anything that's still in its return window). I have yet to try a headset, so I am very excited to finally give it a shot. Between those two games, Tetris Effect, Superhot VR, and Rez Infinite, there's enough stuff that I want to try that $300 bucks for the full setup and two games finally sealed the deal.

I realize PSVR is the bad headset for the poors, but if I end up loving it I can always get one of the PC setups.

I also understand there are some hacky ways to get it working on PC, so I will probably mess around with that at some point, too.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 17, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Psvr is good and cool, not sure why you think it’s not

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Psvr is good and cool, not sure why you think it’s not

I can't wait to try it!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

il serpente cosmico posted:

I finally decided to bite the bullet and get a headset. There are some cheap PSVR bundles for Black Friday. I have the bundle with Moss and Astro Bot on the way, as well as a set of move controllers (the sale hasn't started yet but Best Buy honors price reductions on anything that's still in its return window). I have yet to try a headset, so I am very excited to finally give it a shot. Between those two games, Tetris Effect, Superhot VR, and Rez Infinite, there's enough stuff that I want to try that $300 bucks for the full setup and two games finally sealed the deal.

I realize PSVR is the bad headset for the poors, but if I end up loving it I can always get one of the PC setups.

I also understand there are some hacky ways to get it working on PC, so I will probably mess around with that at some point, too.

Get the Wipeout collection too because it's amazing in VR. You should also check out the PSVR thread here.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Eye-tracking isn't a game mechanic. Foveated rendering massively cuts down the requirements for VR, because it only has to fully-render whatever your eyes are looking at instead of the entire image.

It doesn't happen magically, though. Games still need to restructure their rendering to take advantage of it, and there's no motivation to spend the money to do that as long as most headsets don't support it. Heck, barely any titles even do fixed foveated/lens matched shading yet, and that's something that would be a saving on all headsets.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get the Wipeout collection too because it's amazing in VR. You should also check out the PSVR thread here.

Cool, I already have the wipeout collection so I'll be sure to check it out in VR. I am super excited to try out Rez; it's one of my favorite PS2 games and it seems like it was meant for the format.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A suggestion to anyone else here who has a wireless kit, I suggest putting a swivel office chair in the middle of your play space and playing SkyrimVR in sitting 360. With a tweak to adjust my height using OpenVR Advanced Settings by +.5 meters it worked perfectly, it might be the best way to play the game and games like it.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 17, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
:siren: Don't get a Vive Wireless adapter if you have a Ryzen-powered PC. :siren:

Apparently there's an incompatibility with a subset of them that HTC haven't been able to identify yet.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Nalin posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As far as I could tell, this is why Brendan Iribe went; most likely, he wanted to push towards a release of a half-dome like Rift 2 in a couple of years, but FB decided they actually want to do Rift S/1.5 (inside-out tracking etc) in two years, and then in like four or five years' time release a 'true' VR gen 2 Rift that goes well beyond half dome's capabilities (i.e. variable depth focus like half dome, but also eye tracking with foveated rendering, even wider FOV, facial gesture tracking, etc.)

Of course they could just have entirely canned a true Rift gen 2, but I feel like we'd probably know if Abrash's research lab had been massively redirected?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

NRVNQSR posted:

It doesn't happen magically, though. Games still need to restructure their rendering to take advantage of it, and there's no motivation to spend the money to do that as long as most headsets don't support it. Heck, barely any titles even do fixed foveated/lens matched shading yet, and that's something that would be a saving on all headsets.
Is this the case? I don't really know how these things work, but had been kind of hoping that it could be implemented by GPU manufacturers into their software stack somehow. If it needs to be implemented somehow in every game engine that doesn't seem feasible; obviously Unreal and Unity would do it but otherwise..

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NRVNQSR posted:

The big problem with getting games into VR is the overhead cost, and the response to games needing to restructure their rendering is a pretty blunt "what games?" Half the problem is actually getting Developers to want to make something for VR, so there's no actual problem there with giving them a new toy that makes developing new games (or adapting existing high-end titles) a whole lot easier and prettier to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

El Grillo posted:

Is this the case? I don't really know how these things work, but had been kind of hoping that it could be implemented by GPU manufacturers into their software stack somehow. If it needs to be implemented somehow in every game engine that doesn't seem feasible; obviously Unreal and Unity would do it but otherwise..

Unfortunately it can't be done below the game engine level, no. Simplifying a bit, the high level game says "here's what's in the scene", and the game engine turns that into "here are two jpegs" for the headset. If you want those jpegs to be built differently, with parts in high detail and parts in low detail, that has to be done by the game engine. GPU manufacturers can try to help, but in my experience their help doesn't ever make the work any easier; it just makes the result faster.

Unity and Unreal probably would add support for eye-tracked foveated rendering once it has a significant presence in the market, but even then games will need to make changes to their custom shaders to support it and they're always going to have to ask "is this worth the cost for the small number of users that will benefit?". That's why some Unity and Unreal VR games still don't use instanced stereo rendering, even though both engines support it and it's a performance win on all headsets.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The big problem with getting games into VR is the overhead cost, and the response to games needing to restructure their rendering is a pretty blunt "what games?" Half the problem is actually getting Developers to want to make something for VR, so there's no actual problem there with giving them a new toy that makes developing new games (or adapting existing high-end titles) a whole lot easier and prettier to boot.

I'm having a hard time following what you're saying here, but it sounds like "if someone makes a eye-tracking headset more developers will want to develop for it because they can make better looking games"? If so the problem with that is that developers aren't avoiding VR because the graphics aren't good enough, they're avoiding it because the market is too small and the costs are too high. They're not going to be drawn in by the prospect of relying on tech that has an even smaller market share and even higher development costs.