Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
So I just found out about Skyrim Together, a co-op mod for Skyrim.

https://skyrim-together.com/

Imagine this with VR buddies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I am actually very excited for deadstick I'm also happy that it sounds like the devs are committing to supporting vr more than they were last I checked. My trackir has been gathering dust since I got a rift. Despite the fuzzyness the immersion vr brings to flight games is just so worth it to me.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

jubjub64 posted:

So I just found out about Skyrim Together, a co-op mod for Skyrim.

https://skyrim-together.com/

Imagine this with VR buddies!

From the FAQ

quote:

VR compatibility
Right now we do not support Skyrim VR. We will be having a look into it eventually, but no promises that we will actually get it working. We will have to solve new challenges such as player movement synchronization and acquiring testing equipment (read: HTC Vives and better hardware) to actually start developing.

If we manage to get this working, we will definitely be looking into cross-play between SkyrimSE and Oldrim. I doubt we can get any 3D movement in though, as the character you're playing also doesn't do this in-game (as you only see your weapons/hands).

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Got my VR-TEK WVR3.

Working perfectly for seated driving experiences, not seeing any screendoor effect, 3dof tracking working nicely, and I didn't get any motion sickness after roughly an hour of play in Project Cars 2.

Pretty, pretty, pretty good for $25.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I used VR today for the first time ever. Gotta say, that Oculus Rift demo-tutorial-thing certainly wow'ed me.
The demo itself wasn't anything spectacular but I was definitely awestruck like I haven't been since I played Myst III as a wee tot.

Future truly is now.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Jack Trades posted:

I used VR today for the first time ever. Gotta say, that Oculus Rift demo-tutorial-thing certainly wow'ed me.
The demo itself wasn't anything spectacular but I was definitely awestruck like I haven't been since I played Myst III as a wee tot.

Future truly is now.

Robot Trailer is a fantastic introduction to VR.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I saw a gif from the Cat Explorer tech demo posted the other day:

I have an old Leap Motion that used to be stuck on a DK2, so I dug it out and attached it to my Vive. When you have the wireless add-on, it leaves a USB port free right in the HMD, and if you disable the HMD's camera you can plug in the Leap and have enough bandwidth for it to work.

I'm not going to leave it attached, but I have to admit that walking around wirelessly and using only my hands to control various tech demos was a really, really cool experience - at least for a limited time.

v-- whoops, my bad, corrected

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 16, 2019

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Snackmar posted:

When you have the wireless add-on, it leaves a USB port free right in the HMD,
There's a free USB port regardless; the Vive was designed to be friendly to addons like that.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but what is the current preference for rift vs vive? And will either be on sale anytime soon?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Beast Pussy posted:

I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but what is the current preference for rift vs vive? And will either be on sale anytime soon?

Rift is $350, Vive is $500. For a Rift, you'll probably want a second sensor, which is either $60 alone or you can get a backup set of controllers for $100 that comes with a sensor. For the Vive, you want to get the Deluxe Audio Strap, which costs $100. For both of them, you probably want a VRCover, that costs about $35. There are some edge cases where one or the other makes sense in particular, but on the whole the Rift is a better purchase right now (largely coming down to being significantly cheaper and the controllers being vastly superior).

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
While much more expensive, I greatly prefer my Vive for it's wireless capabilities. Being untethered from a PC is incredibly liberating, and allows you move and fight unrestricted in games like Thrill of the Fight, Gorn, and H3VR.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jenny Agutter posted:

During a round of beatsaber my Acer wmr headset crashed. Beatsaber crashed and the wmr portal went through a cycle of reconnecting the headset, then displayed an error. I rebooted my computer, downgraded the headset driver, but it keeps crashing. Seems like it might be related to the Bluetooth adapter because if I power on a controller while the headset is on it crashes immediately. Gotta love PC gaming.

seems like my USB controller is screwed? other peripherals work fine but every time I try the headset the windows event log fills with database corruption errors from the wmr service and the symptoms indicate USB problems. think I might try out an Oculus Rift, it's cheaper than replacing the motherboard (+ processor + ram)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Duck_King posted:

While much more expensive, I greatly prefer my Vive for it's wireless capabilities. Being untethered from a PC is incredibly liberating, and allows you move and fight unrestricted in games like Thrill of the Fight, Gorn, and H3VR.

You can get a TPCast for Rift too

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

Rift is $350, Vive is $500. For a Rift, you'll probably want a second sensor, which is either $60 alone or you can get a backup set of controllers for $100 that comes with a sensor. For the Vive, you want to get the Deluxe Audio Strap, which costs $100. For both of them, you probably want a VRCover, that costs about $35. There are some edge cases where one or the other makes sense in particular, but on the whole the Rift is a better purchase right now (largely coming down to being significantly cheaper and the controllers being vastly superior).

This is not going to be true for long though, they'll be even better than the Touches in fact, and we might even see the Knuckles out before the end of the year if we're very lucky.

There's also the big factor of your interpupillary distance distance. Go measure it, and if it's anything broader than about 70, you will need a Vive because the Oculus lenses don't spread that far.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Do we know yet when the Quest announcement is likely to happen?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lemming posted:

For a Rift, you'll probably want a second sensor, which is either $60 alone or you can get a backup set of controllers for $100 that comes with a sensor.

You mean 2 or 3 sensors total? Because I just bought a normal Oculus package and it had two sensors in the box.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

3 total

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

You mean 2 or 3 sensors total? Because I just bought a normal Oculus package and it had two sensors in the box.

Yeah sorry I meant an extra sensor. 3 total

Edit: And also you really don't need the extra sensor right away, especially if you do the 360 setup where you mount the sensors above diagonally across from each other pointing down to your play area. There's plenty of stuff that you'll be fine messing around with to start out that works fine with the forward facing setup (although most of the best stuff really does require a more finely tuned play space)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is not going to be true for long though, they'll be even better than the Touches in fact, and we might even see the Knuckles out before the end of the year if we're very lucky.

There's also the big factor of your interpupillary distance distance. Go measure it, and if it's anything broader than about 70, you will need a Vive because the Oculus lenses don't spread that far.

It pretty much always has been and remains a mistake to buy things based on what they might be down the line compared to what they are right now. At the very least knuckles will be an extra cost on top, and there's no confirmation about when they'll be out so you'll be using the worse controllers in the meantime. I agree that there are cases where one or the other makes sense for a person in particular, but right now for most people the Rift is just a better value.

Lemming fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 16, 2019

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Beast Pussy posted:

As someone who's had all three, you could also consider Windows Mixed Reality headsets, they work with SteamVR, and are way easier to set up since it's inside-out tracking. They're frequently on sale for ~$150 and you get like 80-90% of the experience for less than half the price.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

It pretty much always has been and remains a mistake to buy things based on what they might be down the line compared to what they are right now. At the very least knuckles will be an extra cost on top, and there's no confirmation about when they'll be out so you'll be using the worse controllers in the meantime. I agree that there are cases where one or the other makes sense for a person in particular, but right now for most people the Rift is just a better value.

Except you're buying a headset once with very different ecosystems in the long-term, so it's important to pay attention to what's coming as well as what is out now. Especially when the Oculus' future is a cheaper Mixed Reality headset instead of developing the Rift further.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except you're buying a headset once with very different ecosystems in the long-term, so it's important to pay attention to what's coming as well as what is out now. Especially when the Oculus' future is a cheaper Mixed Reality headset instead of developing the Rift further.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no this is completely wrong and you don't know what you're talking about. Either way, long term needing external devices to track is eventually going to go away, but again in the meantime it only makes sense to make your purchases based on what's available now because you have no idea how things are going to end up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no this is completely wrong and you don't know what you're talking about. Either way, long term needing external devices to track is eventually going to go away, but again in the meantime it only makes sense to make your purchases based on what's available now because you have no idea how things are going to end up.

We already know how things are going to end up though, this isn't exactly fortune-telling. Oculus booted the guy wanting to improve the Rift, and they're focusing on a standalone console headset with no means of tethering to the PC. The Evaluation and Development versions of the Knuckle controllers have existed, in the thousands, for over a year now and are proven to work as-designed. We know this because they've re-iterated them four times to make sure they do.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We already know how things are going to end up though, this isn't exactly fortune-telling. Oculus booted the guy wanting to improve the Rift, and they're focusing on a standalone console headset with no means of tethering to the PC. The Evaluation and Development versions of the Knuckle controllers have existed, in the thousands, for over a year now and are proven to work as-designed. We know this because they've re-iterated them four times to make sure they do.

They showed off Half Dome almost a year ago, which has a wide FOV in a compact package, along with eye tracking and varifocal displays. They were clear that it wasn't going to be a consumer product, but saying they're doing anything "instead of developing the Rift further" is clearly not happening. They're focusing on Quest next, for sure, but the Rift 2 stuff was, according to rumor, mostly going to be a Pimax style stopgap that just bumps up existing specs without doing anything fundamentally new or different, like incorporating eye tracking with foveated rendering. It's not like they're stopping R&D. Also they have invested more R&D into VR than anyone else, so.

And again, exactly. They've been "in development" for years. The point is that if you're buying something today you're going to be using what's available today. Today the Touch controllers are indisputably better than the Vive wands. Plus, the jump from Touch to Knuckles isn't going to be anywhere near the jump from Vive wands to Touch, so you're not even going to be missing out on much (based on everything we know about what software will be available, which is "nothing in particular") once they're both out. And, again, you'll have to buy them on top of the already $140 price difference between the two after accounting for more or less mandatory upgrades.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Calling Oculus Quest "mixed reality" feels like its buying into the nonsense branding that Microsoft decided to stick on their headsets. It's also not right; Quest is going to be as different from Windows MR as Windows MR is to Rift/Vive.

Also, It's Valve. Knuckles will almost certainly come out, maybe even in 2019, but...it's Valve. At the end of the day, there's an actual chance that everyone involved gets distracted by Artifact 2 and the things just sit on the shelf for another year or two.

Anyway, I don't think the answer is actually cut and dry on any level these days, assuming all this hardware pans out.

Rift is, in the status quo, cheapest by a fair bit, involves no fuss to play Oculus exclusives, has better controllers, but is a bit of a dead end. It's also maybe the finickiest to set up, since you have to run USB cables all over your room, and with some machines you have to end up worrying about USB 3.0 bandwidth.

Vive solves those problems, and there're upgrade paths. Vive Pro will come down in price eventually, and knuckles will almost certainly come out eventually. But it's expensive, and to get access to Oculus games (several of which are amazing) means fiddling a little bit with some middleware and being okay with the somewhat odd controller mappings that may come with it. It's not a huge deal, but some people just want to slap on a headset and play.

Speaking of that, and at looking towards the future, Oculus Quest is an important product on the horizon, since it's a full VR experience without being tethered to a PC. That means no cables, which is nice in itself, and no worrying about whether your computer has the muscle to run something. It also means a closed ecosystem. Sideloading may or may not be possible, no way to know yet. Whether this sounds appealing is probably directly related to how you feel about PC being the best gaming platform ever and all that. But for a huge portion of the population it'll be the de facto choice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

They showed off Half Dome almost a year ago, which has a wide FOV in a compact package, along with eye tracking and varifocal displays. They were clear that it wasn't going to be a consumer product, but saying they're doing anything "instead of developing the Rift further" is clearly not happening. They're focusing on Quest next, for sure, but the Rift 2 stuff was, according to rumor, mostly going to be a Pimax style stopgap that just bumps up existing specs without doing anything fundamentally new or different, like incorporating eye tracking with foveated rendering. It's not like they're stopping R&D. Also they have invested more R&D into VR than anyone else, so.

That pretty much is the definition of stopping R&D considering the guy responsible for it left. Hell, all the Rift S is doing is playing catch-up with the WMR headsets so you can't even really call that R&D. Nevermind that they've invested away from the Rift into developing the Quest because it's a standalone device they can push to mass consumers. They can happily ignore the Rift altogether if it does well, because it won't be their primary market anymore.

Yes, it's the Half-Dome was probably over-engineered, but that's what a prototype is for. You dial down what you learn from that into the next-generation consumer product. And none of it is actually being applied.

Lemming posted:

And again, exactly. They've been "in development" for years. The point is that if you're buying something today you're going to be using what's available today. Today the Touch controllers are indisputably better than the Vive wands. Plus, the jump from Touch to Knuckles isn't going to be anywhere near the jump from Vive wands to Touch, so you're not even going to be missing out on much (based on everything we know about what software will be available, which is "nothing in particular") once they're both out. And, again, you'll have to buy them on top of the already $140 price difference between the two after accounting for more or less mandatory upgrades.

Yes, the Touch is better now. But the Wands work for most SteamVR games, and you're still gonna get a lot of fun out of them between now and the Knuckles releasing. And further on from that is almost certainly the SteamVR headset. It's an incremental upgrade path in a single eco-system for the foreseeable future that's much better than having to repeatedly burn the cost of a total re-iteration for a Rift S that moves to inside-out tracking. Oculus is also going to keep shooting themselves in the foot long-term because they "only" release a self-contained consumer product instead of treating their HMD's as a platform, and keep getting caught short when an incremental upgrade is developed after the fact because they'll have no way to incorporate it into existing devices. The Vive, on the other hand, has taken a variety of user-developed, and retail-released upgrades as easily as plug-and-play.

Boxman posted:

Calling Oculus Quest "mixed reality" feels like its buying into the nonsense branding that Microsoft decided to stick on their headsets. It's also not right; Quest is going to be as different from Windows MR as Windows MR is to Rift/Vive.

Not quite; I'm talking about the Rift S.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Boxman posted:

Speaking of that, and at looking towards the future, Oculus Quest is an important product on the horizon, since it's a full VR experience without being tethered to a PC. That means no cables, which is nice in itself, and no worrying about whether your computer has the muscle to run something. It also means a closed ecosystem. Sideloading may or may not be possible, no way to know yet. Whether this sounds appealing is probably directly related to how you feel about PC being the best gaming platform ever and all that. But for a huge portion of the population it'll be the de facto choice.

Absolutely. We're getting close enough that at this point I've been telling anyone asking me about getting a VR setup to hold off until the Quest comes out. It's going to cut out so much of the stupid bullshit.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That pretty much is the definition of stopping R&D considering the guy responsible for it left. Hell, all the Rift S is doing is playing catch-up with the WMR headsets so you can't even really call that R&D. Nevermind that they've invested away from the Rift into developing the Quest because it's a standalone device they can push to mass consumers. They can happily ignore the Rift altogether if it does well, because it won't be the primary market anymore.

Yes, it's the Half-Dome was probably over-engineered, but that's what a prototype is for. You dial down what you learn from that into the next-generation consumer product. And none of it is actually being applied.

Yes, the Touch is better now. But the Wands work for most SteamVR games, and you're still gonna get a lot of fun out of them between now and the Knuckles releasing. And further on from that is almost certainly the SteamVR headset. It's an incremental upgrade path in a single eco-system for the foreseeable future that's much better than having to repeatedly burn the cost of a total re-iteration for a Rift S that moves to inside-out tracking. Oculus is also going to keep shooting themselves in the foot long-term because they "only" release a self-contained consumer product instead of treating their HMD's as a platform, and keep getting caught short when an incremental upgrade is developed after the fact because they'll have no way to incorporate it into existing devices. The Vive, on the other hand, has taken a variety of user-developed, and retail-released upgrades as easily as plug-and-play.

Jesus dude you literally have no idea what you're talking about. He wasn't the only guy involved in R&D, why would you even think that? They're hiring tons of people constantly. PHDs, engineers, whatever, you name it. A big piece of every Oculus Connect involved Michael Abrash getting up there and talking about where things are at and where they're going and what kind of research they're doing. "They've invested away from the Rift into developing the Quest" dude you are just completely ignorant of how businesses work.

And you're talking about the SteamVR headset as if it's even a real product! It's an R&D leak. And we don't even know anything about it! That's literally what the Half Dome was, a glimpse into their research, and it was way more advanced than the much more recent SteamVR leak, which as far as we can tell is at best a Pimax style incremental upgrade but maybe with eye tracking. Again, not to mention that all the lighthouse based headsets are all extremely expensive, especially compared to a Rift or a WMR headset. Buying with a plan to "upgrade" is a huge mistake because the amount of things you're actually going to end up reusing is probably limited to like, the lighthouses themselves. Everything else is a fresh, expensive purchase.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oculus is also going to keep shooting themselves in the foot long-term because they "only" release a self-contained consumer product instead of treating their HMD's as a platform, and keep getting caught short when an incremental upgrade is developed after the fact because they'll have no way to incorporate it into existing devices.

Even setting aside the description of the Vive upgrade path you describe - which isn’t really guaranteed by any means - this doesn’t disqualify the Oculus as viable, it just means it’s a very different product. “Easy to set up, self contained ecosystem, iterates hardware once or twice a decade” describes consoles, which are really fantastic gaming devices for a huge number of people.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Boxman posted:

Even setting aside the description of the Vive upgrade path you describe - which isn’t really guaranteed by any means - this doesn’t disqualify the Oculus as viable, it just means it’s a very different product. “Easy to set up, self contained ecosystem, iterates hardware once or twice a decade” describes consoles, which are really fantastic gaming devices for a huge number of people.

You missed my point; even consoles are developed with the forethought of replaceable hard drives and spare USB ports. Oculus' methodology starts and ends with "here is your device iteration and all it will ever be", and eventually it's going to cost them once technologies like Foveated Rendering are actually a viable thing.

Lemming posted:

And you're talking about the SteamVR headset as if it's even a real product! It's an R&D leak. And we don't even know anything about it! That's literally what the Half Dome was, a glimpse into their research, and it was way more advanced than the much more recent SteamVR leak, which as far as we can tell is at best a Pimax style incremental upgrade but maybe with eye tracking.

That's simply not true at all; We can guess that few are in the wild with some developers, thanks to Cloudhead Games a few weeks back, and we know they exist in quantity so they're beyond R&D and prototyping. A set of six devices built to that quality is not early development, it is internal evaluation for a production model so that's pretty close to how it'll stay in terms of features and hardware. Especially if a few developers currently have them. Simple observation of just the HMD also gives some pretty solid clues to its design methodology as well (and why I keep on reiterating the Vive's the better long-term ecosystem); That headset is a mix of WMR and Roomscale that only makes sense if it's sa. Just the headset alone probably has it finger-tracking (thanks to the software we've already seen them develop) using the cameras and the Knuckle controllers leaving the hands free to be open and seen. Plug in Lighthouses and it'll pick those up with the discreet sensors for external tracking. You can also pretty safely assume the recess on the front is for a Wireless module.

Lemming posted:

Buying with a plan to "upgrade" is a huge mistake because the amount of things you're actually going to end up reusing is probably limited to like, the lighthouses themselves. Everything else is a fresh, expensive purchase.

Buying with a plan to upgrade is smart with a platform that is constantly innovating across a half-dozen odd hardware vendors and you're going to be using long-term. It's only a "fresh expensive purchase" as you describe if you go all-out at once, and there's simply no reason to do so. If your Vive's still good and you don't want the new full setup, all you're looking at is a pair of Knuckle controllers. Or a newer-model HMD down the line on its own for a much lower cost because you're not forking out for a pair of controllers and Lighthouses with it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

Lots of smart stuff

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All kinds of stuff.

Ecosystems? You can play everything on steamvr on the rift minus a couple edge cases that are trash anyways.

Hardware? Controllers? Lemmings 100% right. The vive wands are literal trash compared to the touch controlllers.

Buying with the intention of upgrading is kind of silly to be honest. More so at the low end. If you're going to throw vive pro money around fine. But as standard kit? Nah, This is bad.

Keep in mind, I own a vive, Rift, and a vive pro. I'm also sponsored by HTC.

I still recommend Rifts to anyone other than serious beat saber players (people really wanting to shoot for top 10 and care about accuracy) and content creators. For general normal people who just wanna play games the rift is superior 100%.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 16, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's simply not true at all; We can guess that few are in the wild with some developers, thanks to Cloudhead Games a few weeks back, and we know they exist in quantity so they're beyond R&D and prototyping. A set of six devices built to that quality is not early development, it is internal evaluation for a production model so that's pretty close to how it'll stay in terms of features and hardware. Especially if a few developers currently have them. Simple observation of just the HMD also gives some pretty solid clues to its design methodology as well (and why I keep on reiterating the Vive's the better long-term ecosystem); That headset is a mix of WMR and Roomscale that only makes sense if it's sa. Just the headset alone probably has it finger-tracking (thanks to the software we've already seen them develop) using the cameras and the Knuckle controllers leaving the hands free to be open and seen. Plug in Lighthouses and it'll pick those up with the discreet sensors for external tracking. You can also pretty safely assume the recess on the front is for a Wireless module.

Dude this is all hardcore, massive speculation based on zero solid facts. My entire point was that just because something hasn't been publicly announced, doesn't mean it's not being developed, so claiming that Oculus has halted development on PCVR based on a rumor that a Rift 2-Pimax style incremental upgrade has been cancelled is just a nonsense conclusion that is not supported by any sort of reasonable facts.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Buying with a plan to upgrade is smart with a platform that is constantly innovating across a half-dozen odd hardware vendors and you're going to be using long-term. It's only a "fresh expensive purchase" as you describe if you go all-out at once, and there's simply no reason to do so. If your Vive's still good and you don't want the new full setup, all you're looking at is a pair of Knuckle controllers. Or a newer-model HMD down the line on its own for a much lower cost because you're not forking out for a pair of controllers and Lighthouses with it.

Dude, everything Vive so far has been really expensive. Spending an extra $160 or so to potentially save a few hundred some ill defined period down the line (because, again, if you're getting a new headset and/or controllers, the lighthouses are the only things that you'll keep) ONLY if you spend hundreds more on controllers and headsets doesn't make any sense if the current experience is better on a Rift because the Vive controllers are terrible. If you want a Pimax or Vive Pro, then yeah, buying a Vive makes the most sense (because buying two controllers and two lighthouses alone is more expensive than buying a Vive lmfao), but if you're choosing between a Rift and a Vive the Rift is the better option right now barring extenuating circumstances.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah, even as a Vive owner and a big Vive fan, I'd suggest to anyone wanting to get in to get the Rift. Knuckles will be nice if and when they come out, but Valve are seriously dragging their heels on it. I don't think the current Vive controllers are terrible - I think the Rift's are certainly better - and the tracking solution is better for the Vive, the only two reasons I'd recommend Vive over Rift would be if money was no problem, and if a lack of USB slots is an actual issue since the Rift is very USB intensive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Knuckles will be nice if and when they come out, but Valve are seriously dragging their heels on it.

This simply isn't true at all; relatively-speaking, they've been quite vocal about their Evaluation iterations for the past six months. The DV1's were only sent out in December, and the only way they could release the revised EV2/3 and DV1 versions in the quantities they have been is with a mass-production line set up and ready to go. These things have to actually work and last long-term, and you're simply not going to get better testing that giving them to people to run the drat things into the ground over 3-6 months of constant use.

Lemming posted:

Dude, everything Vive so far has been really expensive. Spending an extra $160 or so to potentially save a few hundred some ill defined period down the line (because, again, if you're getting a new headset and/or controllers, the lighthouses are the only things that you'll keep) ONLY if you spend hundreds more on controllers and headsets doesn't make any sense if the current experience is better on a Rift because the Vive controllers are terrible. If you want a Pimax or Vive Pro, then yeah, buying a Vive makes the most sense (because buying two controllers and two lighthouses alone is more expensive than buying a Vive lmfao), but if you're choosing between a Rift and a Vive the Rift is the better option right now barring extenuating circumstances.

Vive is expensive because HTC slaps a stupidly-high markup on everything they can and everyone knows it. Given that Valve's quietly making their own HMD as well as the Knuckles, it's pretty safe to say they aren't involved with either. And "the vive controllers are terrible" is an argument with an approaching shelf-life that needs to be recognized rather than just your go-to response. They're not as good as Touches, but they're still quite viable for general use in SteamVR games.

Lemming posted:

Dude this is all hardcore, massive speculation based on zero solid facts. My entire point was that just because something hasn't been publicly announced, doesn't mean it's not being developed, so claiming that Oculus has halted development on PCVR based on a rumor that a Rift 2-Pimax style incremental upgrade has been cancelled is just a nonsense conclusion that is not supported by any sort of reasonable facts.

Not really, most of it's just basic observation of what's actually presented in the photos. The only actual speculation is they're already in developer hands, and I even addressed that that was a guess based on the Cloudhead tweet.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Vive is expensive because HTC slaps a stupidly-high markup on everything they can and everyone knows it. Given that Valve's quietly making their own HMD as well as the Knuckles, it's pretty safe to say they aren't involved with either. And "the vive controllers are terrible" is an argument with an approaching shelf-life that needs to be recognized rather than just your go-to response. They're not as good as Touches, but they're still quite viable for general use in SteamVR games.

Not really, most of it's just basic observation of what's actually presented in the photos. The only actual speculation is they're already in developer hands, and I even addressed that that was a guess based on the Cloudhead tweet.

Yes, it's currently more expensive! That's the point! You can buy a Rift instead, which is much cheaper! And when comparing the two, only the wands and the Touch controllers are currently what's available! Those are your options! If you want to buy something today, you can only use one of those two options! Of course you should compare them!

And yes, it's speculation based on what's in the photos, which do not confirm any specific aspect of the headset! That's why it's speculation, because you have to try and guess what things are or could be!

Aaaaaaaa!!!!! AAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This simply isn't true at all; relatively-speaking, they've been quite vocal about their Evaluation iterations for the past six months. The DV1's were only sent out in December, and the only way they could release the revised EV2/3 and DV1 versions in the quantities they have been is with a mass-production line set up and ready to go. These things have to actually work and last long-term, and you're simply not going to get better testing that giving them to people to run the drat things into the ground over 3-6 months of constant use.

Is it out? No. Was it announced a long time ago? Yes. They're dragging their heels - this can be justified in terms of QA and functionality, but that doesn't change that the things haven't been released.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Someone remind me - if your Vive Wand controller dies, and you want to buy another one, is it $130 for a single Vive Wand and nothing else, or do you get something with it?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Is it $130 for a single Vive Wand and nothing else, or do you get something with it?

Buyer's remorse.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

Yes, it's currently more expensive! That's the point! You can buy a Rift instead, which is much cheaper! And when comparing the two, only the wands and the Touch controllers are currently what's available! Those are your options! If you want to buy something today, you can only use one of those two options! Of course you should compare them!

Your own argument seems to be that people should ignore literally every relevant factor and choose in a vacuum though.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Is it out? No. Was it announced a long time ago? Yes. They're dragging their heels - this can be justified in terms of QA and functionality, but that doesn't change that the things haven't been released.

That isn't dragging their heels though, it's just a normal development life-cycle. Especially when the only actual difference is the general public knows they exist already, and it's moved out of the Evaluation phase.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Just buy a Rift now and bank the difference over the Vive. When (if?) the knuckles come out and when (if!) a steamvr headset comes out then buy that. Spending way more money on a Vive now and holding out for a controller upgrade makes no sense. By the time the knuckles come out you'll probably want a better headset anyhow.
You can still buy and play all your games on steam if you're worried about not having access if you switch platforms down the line. Even that seems silly. In 5 years of you want to replay Job Simulator again just rebuy it for pennies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Just get the Acer WMR when it's on sale for $140. It's Good Enough if you're just waiting for the next gen stuff.